Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why does every sports journo/newsreader sound like a rural ape?

• 01-11-2009 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

There is not one that doesn't do my head in with their knuckle dragging cadences and bogger pronunciation. Don't well educated middle class boys and girls have any interest in sport? Do they all end up in financial media and such like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

"Hooiiii, I'm Moicheal MocMullan" ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 Jersey Girl

Paul Collins on Today FM takes the biscuit. He actually thinks he's funny and whenever he is talking about the GAA he uses the few words of Irish he learned in Ballywire. Utter gob s ****

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

I have posted about Mr Collins before in R &R. This week took the biscuit though, they delayed reading the sports news as he was mucking about and late for his slot. Dempsey was trying to come up with some filler. He has to talk for two minutes in the hour and he couldnt even get that right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Better than listing to a d4 knob up their own arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

mike65 wrote: »
    There is not one that doesn't do my head in with their knuckle dragging cadences and bogger pronunciation. Don't well educated middle class boys and girls have any interest in sport? Do they all end up in financial media and such like?

Interesting view of what types of people do and don't overlap there, Mike ?

Firstly, what is a "rural ape" ? Are there no "urban apes" ?

Secondly, what is "bogger pronunciation", exactly ? I mean, I don't think Joe Duffy would qualify, but I still hate his accent on the radio. And that's not snobbery; I also have to switch off immediately any time I hear David Norris.

Thirdly, are you implying that there are no rural "well educated middle class boys and girls" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

"Hooiiii, I'm Moicheal MocMullan" ???

Given the choice, I'd take the 'knuckle-draggers'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

They don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liam Byrne

I'm just letting off steam having been trapped with Newstalks very own Jerry O’Sullivan followed by Newstalks very own Oisin Langan. Its not like RTE offered any respite either what with Con Murphy and Jacqui Hurley who, while slightly better spoken are no less dismal as a radio presence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

If I hear that one Hurley say "this afhthernoon" again I will cant the fookin tranny over the electric gates into the middle of Westminster Rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Ahh yes, Jerry "one eye always on the running order" O'Sullivan.

Deliversthefirsthalfofthesentenceinoneblob and then when he gets to the end he divides it up into sentences

of.
    one.
    word.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Cooney bugs me on TV3 when doing the sport he always calls the Italian League Syria-Ah, when in fact 'Serie A' is pronounced, very simply: Syria, like the country of the same name.

Advertisement