Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are you and who did you sign?

Options
  • 01-11-2009 8:36pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I started as Chelsea as usual and thought it would be interesting to see how I would get on with the transfer ban. I've just finished my first season having won the Premier League and Champions League. I spent the 70m which was offered to me mainly on youth as I felt my core team was strong enough to win the league.

Giuseppe Rossi- 14m: my main signing, actually only played 19 games and scored 7 goals due to injury but certainly got me through ACON.

Kyriakos Papadopoulous- 2.9m CB from Olympiakos 17 years old

Henri Saivet - 7.25m from Bordeaux

Diego Buonanotte - 10m from River

John Fleck- 4m Rangers

Baston Borja - 3.8m At. Madrid

Taner Yalcin - 2.4m Koln

Haris Vuckic - 3.7 m Newcastle

Keko - Free At. Madrid

Koke- Free At. Madrid

Chris Wood - 4.8m West Brom

Romelu Lukaku - 2.9m Anderlecht

Iker Muniain -4.1m Bilbao

Sebastien Corchia- 5.25m Le Mans

Fausto Rossi - 4.1m Juventus

Neymar - joining summer 2010

The only player I sold was Kalou to Man City for 4.9m

Drogba ended up being the top scorer in Europe with Lampard being one of the best performing midfielders.

I don't see a problem in reaching the January transfer window with the current squad. Diego Buonanotte has been great coming off the bench for me and grabbing some vital goals. Sturridge has also been good off the bench when required.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Shelbourne, in my 2nd season, didn't get promoted in the first.

Working with a squad of

Dean Delaney
    Shaun Kelly (in from Dundalk)
    Niall O'Reilly (in from Athlone)
    David Crawley
    Philip Byrne (in from Fingal)
    Kevin Doherty
    Derek Foran (in from Bray)
    Michael Synnott (in from Dundalk)
    Wayne Colbert (in from Limerick)
    Stephen Rice (in from Shamrock Rovers)
    Richie Baker
    Derek Doyle
    Anto Flood
    Peter Hynes
    Declan O'Brien (in from Dundalk)

O'Brien is banging em in, should win the league in season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

I started as Chelsea as usual and thought it would be interesting to see how I would get on with the transfer ban.

did you get to appeal the ban?? lol

i think the transfer ban idea is great, will force people playing as chelsea to buy in some youth n try cash in on the drogbas and ballacks before they drop in price by the time the ban is over!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

LanceStorm wrote: »
    did you get to appeal the ban?? lol

i think the transfer ban idea is great, will force people playing as chelsea to buy in some youth n try cash in on the drogbas and ballacks before they drop in price by the time the ban is over!!

No unfortunatley not!

Thats exactly what I did, bring in as much quality youth as I could. However it wasn't much of a challenge at all really because with the addition of Rossi and Bounanotte to the 1st team squad I had more than ample cover.

My transfer ban has now been lifted and I am approaching the January 2011 transfer window with exactly the same team barring Deco, who I released. Drogba is still banging in goals so no need to get rid of him yet.

I thought it would be much harder, but the strength and depth of the squad makes it a pretty easy challenge. None of the youth I have brought in are even close to a 1st team place, but I'm sure some of them will turn out to be quality.

What my intention is now is to start making profit as a club. At the current rate this won't be happening until 2024 because of Mr. Abramovich's "gift loan". Now that will be a challenge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

QPR - Won promotion in 1st season

Impressive players so far for Championship level clubs:

Ben Watson (was on loan from Wigan)
    Lewandowski (signed from Lech for 2.8m - goal machine)
    Henri Camara (Excellent Poacher, available on a Free)
    Ludovik (FB & CB at Udinese at the beginning, great ball playing CB for 1.1m)
    Ottosen (great CB attributes - Heading, Tackling, Pace etc...)
    Poulsen (Danish LW - lots and lots of assists and MOM awards and can be got for 1.4m)

Half way into the PRM season from promotion with QPR

Bought Watson who was on Loan for 5m - he's done great!

Alos bought:

Joe Hart (2.5m - outstanding, like S.Given, is worth a good few points/season)

N. Burdisso CB who was available on a free, doing v.well and chipping in with his fair share of goals

Luis Jimenez (From Inter (was with WHM on Loan) pretty good but can blow hot and cold)

Guerrero - ST, signed on a free and has hit 11 PRM goals so far in 20 games
    Johansson - Swedish RB from IFK, solid and only cost 700k

QPR are 8th after 20 games which im very happy with - team is below:

Hart;

Johansson
    Ludovik
    Ottosen
    Burdisso

Poulsen
    Ephraim
    Watson
    Jimenez

Lewandowski
    Guerrero

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

About to start my 2nd season with Utd. Won the double and Charity Shield in 1st year.

GK: Lloris
    LB: Evra
    RB: Rafinha
    CB: Ferdinand
    CB: Vidic (Out for 8 months now)

RM: Valencia
    LM: Vargas
    CM: Hargreaves
    CM: Anderson

ST: Berbatov (Target Man)
    ST: Rooney (Complete Forward)

Also signed: Xabi Preto, Beckham, Van Nistlerooy and a host of youngsters. Absolutely leaking money left right and centre. Only was giving 10m this year to spend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Mike Bassett

Started as the mighty Stoke,only finished pre season now so ill ley ye know how I progress

Signings: Ronaldo (fat)
    Jan Koller
    Rivaldo
    Beckham

Bit of nostalgia in those signings but hopefully they will help us avoid the drop! I recommend Ronaldo for any mid table team or even the likes of Chelsea as cover for the ACON, best finisher in the game I think and his pace is still 12 so not too shabby. 2m at the start!GET IN

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Ronaldo is an absolute beast in the game this season. Signed him for Sunderland in the demo and he just kept banging them in. Should be a great signing for Stoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Started as Man utd this year, my favourite club and never managed them in FM yet. First thing I did was sell Nani to Sunderland for 9M brought in.

David Silva 32.5M Valencia
    Henri Saivet 6M

A few youth signings as well as I felt I had a strong enough squad for the season, just finished it won the Premiership but missed out on everything else, beaten by Real Madrid in the Champions cup. Looking at bringing in a cental Mid for next season to replace Scholes somone creative and similar type of player, maybe a striker although Marcheda for 20 last season, Owen only scroed 8, Rooney injured for alot of it.

As said before finances at Utd aren't great at the min...in the game anyway so not sure what my budget is.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,960 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Started with United, as I always do.

Main signings in the first season were De Rossi, Dzecko and Ashley Young. Got Beckham on a free in the January window, wish I hadn't bothered. Stupid signings as it turned out he doesn't maintain enough fitness and was generally not of use to me in the end.

Didn't sell many players the first year.

Only one big signing in the second summer - got Essien for 28million!! Delighted.

Have signed an absolute crap load of 16 year olds, couldn't begin to name them!

@Irishcrx

You'd regret selling Nani. I kept him and made him first choice LW - 10 goals and 24 assists at the end of the season, and a massively important player for me. Star guy for me now!

Have to say, the Premier League registration thing cut me completely off guard in my second season! Haven't finished the summer transfer window, so I haven't finalised the squad - but I'm finding it very tough to finalise who I have in the squad; still have Giggs, Neville and Scholes at the club (as well as Beckham) and one of 2 of them is going to miss out for certain I think.

Wanted to give Tosic and Diouf a go this season as well, but I don't think I'll be able to fit them in. Its freaking tough!!

Looking to sell one or two central midfielders (as De Rossi and Essien are going to be first choice), but not sure who to sell - trying to decide between Carrick, Anderson and Fletcher. Either Fletcher or Carrick are more likely.

Luckily you don't have to register players under the age of 21, so that has helped.

Nani?Really maybe i should have given him a chance, David Silva did well though (When he was fit) very effective playing AM in behind Rooney not bad on the left wing either. As said it's central midfield I need to make signing wasn't overly happy with Scholes , Fletcher or Carrick last season, I reckon Carrick will go as Scholes is worth nothing at this stage and will be a handy back up, looking at bringing in a central player from Fiorentina can't remember the name but he has a great first touch , creativity and passing skills just what I need.

Strikers are good aswell Marcheda , Wellbeck , Owen , Rooney , Berbatov , Diof , Ajose
    Plenty of talent in front of goal just need to find a pair that are consistint and get the young players involved more.

What is this registration thing haven't got to that yet?

• Advertisement

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Nani?Really maybe i should have given him a chance, David Silva did well though (When he was fit) very effective playing AM in behind Rooney not bad on the left wing either. As said it's central midfield I need to make signing wasn't overly happy with Scholes , Fletcher or Carrick last season, I reckon Carrick will go as Scholes is worth nothing at this stage and will be a handy back up, looking at bringing in a central player from Fiorentina can't remember the name but he has a great first touch , creativity and passing skills just what I need.

Strikers are good aswell Marcheda , Wellbeck , Owen , Rooney , Berbatov , Diof , Ajose
    Plenty of talent in front of goal just need to find a pair that are consistint and get the young players involved more.

What is this registration thing haven't got to that yet?

You have to register a 25 man squad for the premier league, just as you do for European Competition; similar rules as well. 8 players trained in England and you don't have to register players United the age of 21 on the 31st of August of that season.

I don't mind leaving people out of my CL squad, but it makes a serious difference in the PL - some of the players on the fringe (and 21 or over) have to be left out (obviously) which becomes an issue with someone like Tosic or Diouf.

Yeah got it last night, bit of a pain but there ya go...Got a striker situation now. Didn't sign one in the summer and Micheal Owen has gone and got himself injured for 11 months with cruicate ligament damage effectivly ending his Man utd career for me...Wellbeck is on loan at Sunderland but can be re-called, so I have Rooney (Returning from injury) , Berbatov , Macehda as my strikers and I reckon I need another to get through the season, a proven goalscorer.

I have 18 Mill but as struggling to find a player who hasn't been bought, at a decent price who can put the ball in the net. Anyone got suggestions?

I could play Rooney as full forward and play David Silva in behind him as advanced playmaker but again if either get injured I'm in trouble..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Mike Bassett

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Yeah got it last night, bit of a pain but there ya go...Got a striker situation now. Didn't sign one in the summer and Micheal Owen has gone and got himself injured for 11 months with cruicate ligament damage effectivly ending his Man utd career for me...Wellbeck is on loan at Sunderland but can be re-called, so I have Rooney (Returning from injury) , Berbatov , Macehda as my strikers and I reckon I need another to get through the season, a proven goalscorer.

I have 18 Mill but as struggling to find a player who hasn't been bought, at a decent price who can put the ball in the net. Anyone got suggestions?

I could play Rooney as full forward and play David Silva in behind him as advanced playmaker but again if either get injured I'm in trouble..

Ronaldo is decent cover for any team in my opinion,only 2 million, also worth looking at dzeko. The ultimate striker,when i was chelsea I got him for 20m but im sure you could get him for 18 with a sell on clause?if its just for a season for cover you could go down the bargain route and get an old striker simply for last resort,rivaldo still has decent stats too for a 37 year old.
    Also if you are thinking of going the one man up front and need cover for silva i highly recommend either jovetic or hamsek or hulk

Dzeko is at Chelsea in my game (Unfortunatly) as he is banging them in for them. Ended up not signing anyone and bringing Wellbeck back from loan he got 17 for Sunderland in the championship and has been on fire since coming back 6 goals from 6 games..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,233 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Started as QPR and am a few games into the season. Signed Zaki from some Arab club and he's done well. Also Matteo Rubin who is crap but may just need time to settle in but I found this premier league class LB from juve for £2m and he seems as though he could do well. Javi Baraja from some second division spanish team as a solution to RB. Will probably sign Watson when I get the money. Also got Dady, a striker from Osasuna who seems ok but also needs to settle in. I'm having real problems flogging my dead weight though...

What a climax to the season it ended up being, Pipped Chelsea for the title on the final day and had a battle with Liverpool in the champions cup semi. Score was 2-2 from the anfield game, playing at home Liverpool went 2-0 up at half time, Torres scoring both and both my centre backs playing dreadfull, bit of the hairdryer treatment at half time and brought on David Silva back from 5 months injury into attacking playmaker role, him and Rooney came to life and we were back level by the end of the game both from Rooney and Silva assisted, extra time Liverpool pushed back into there own half typical man utd pushing forward in buckets, last min of extra time Rooney from 35 yards into the top corner and into the final.

I love this game!

Just about to start my 3rd season at United.

Team is still fairly similar to opening day.

First choice 11 is:

...............Foster

Raf........Rio......Vidic.......Evra

Young..Essien..De Rossi..Nani

..........Rooney..Dzecko

Second choice would be

..............Tommy K

O'Shea...Brown..Evans..Fabio

Ljajic....Hargreaves..Carrick..Di Maria

............Welbeck...Kiko.

Valencia and Fletcher would be the two bigger names still in my squad but not in the first/second 11. Valencia is fighting with Ljajic for that sub spot.

Have a load of young players too - think I have 2 17 year old defenders in my first team squad now too, along with a 17 year old Italian DM (who looks awesome) and David Albaa (think he is real - looks a good prospect). Also have around 3 very promising 16/17 year old forwards.

Sold Berbatov in the summer for 15million (to Roma I think) as he just wasn't getting the games for me - and Kiko/Welbeck are ready to properly challenge for starting spots (more so Kiko I think, but it is close).

Have a load of money left to spend, around 40million I think) but can't find a player I want to sign at the right price. Happy enough with my squad as it is.

Just got a 40million bid from Inter for Vidic too - not sure what to do about it. I don't need the cash (well, the club probably do - Gill had to loan the club 200k in the summer!!:D) but it is a lot of money to turn down. Considering accepting it, promoting Evans to first choice and then bringing in another young (sub 24 year old) defender.

Decisions, Decisions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Started at Arsenal, got a good group of players and started to ship em out one by one replacing em with young players so I can say I won with kids. My first team at the moment looks like this:

GK: Hart

RB: Martin Kelly
    CB: Kjaer
    CB: Vermaelen
    LB: Gibbs

AMR: Wilshere
    CM: Fabregas
    DMC: Javi Garcia
    CM: Marek Hamsik
    AML: Di Maria

ST: Kerrison

So far 20 games into the season and unbeaten so far, have 16 wins and 4 draws, going well in the cups and all my players are getting international call ups.

My bench players are pretty average so far as I'm really only just overhauling the team now, its full of Arsenal youth and reserve players like Mannone, Hoyte, Frimpong, Watt, Sunu, Papadopoulous and a long term injury recovering Matuidi.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Out of curiosity how much did you get from selling:

Almunia
    Gallas
    Sagna
    Eboue
    Clichy
    Nasri
    Rosicky
    Arshavin
    RVP
    Eduardo
    Diaby
    Ramsey
    Bendtner
    Vela

?

I got about £130 million for the lot over two seasons to help me rebuild.

Got £32 million for Arshavin alone after a 3 way bidding war between Barca, Real and Inter - went to Barca in the end

RVP was the next best sale at £18 million to AC Milan

Then Sagna and Ramsey both left at £12 million, Sagna to Chelsea and Ramsey to Atletico Madrid - wanted to keep Ramsey, but he was not getting games and was becoming unhappy.

Almunia went for £2 mil - Wigan
    Gallas - £5 mil - Sunderland
    Eboue - £4 mil - Wigan
    Clichy - £10 mil - Sevilla
    Nasri - £8 mil - Porto
    Eduardo £8 mil - Hamburg
    Bendtner - £7 mil - Blackburn
    Diaby - £6 mil - Atletico
    Vela - £6 mil - Valencia

The only player I didn't actually sell was Rosicky, he got injured again after coming back, and was out for so long I decided not to renew his contract, he went to Everton on a bosman eventually.

I did get a few monumental bids for Fabregas, such as £42 million from Real and £45 mil from Man City, but decided to hang onto him for at least one more year. Have to find a replacement now is the trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Lol man, you got skanked on transfers there. Nearly all of the players you sold except for Arshavin should have gone for twice that...

I wasn't looking for money, I just wanted to get rid so I could build my own team, so I put them on the market for a lot less than what they were worth.

Just had an offer for Rodwell accepted, delighted.

Now I just need to go and search for a replacement for Fabregas, any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Just got a 40million bid from Inter for Vidic too - not sure what to do about it. I don't need the cash (well, the club probably do - Gill had to loan the club 200k in the summer!!:D) but it is a lot of money to turn down. Considering accepting it, promoting Evans to first choice and then bringing in another young (sub 24 year old) defender.

Decisions, Decisions :D

I sold Vidic there, for 42million from Inter, Evans in for him. Anyone give me a good 22-23-24 yeare old for sub if Evans is out.

Thanks,
    manutd

I found that Simon Kjaer of Palermo is a very good CB, if not him then Daniel Schwaab of Bayer Leverkusen.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

aaronh007 wrote: »
    I found that Simon Kjaer of Palermo is a very good CB, if not him then Daniel Schwaab of Bayer Leverkusen.
    Thanks, i look in to them, i was thinking of Simon Kjaer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Started at Woking. No players bought yet as I need my scout to find a few. Never ceases to amaze me how almost everyone plays as their favorite team rather than starting from the bottom and working your way up, getting the job at your favorite team a few years down the line on merit. Now that is fun and a proper challenge.

mewso wrote: »
    Started at Woking. No players bought yet as I need my scout to find a few. Never ceases to amaze me how almost everyone plays as their favorite team rather than starting from the bottom and working your way up, getting the job at your favorite team a few years down the line on merit. Now that is fun and a proper challenge.

I feel the same way. I started as Arsenal (Liverpool fan btw) and after moulding my own team, I am fairly bored of winning all the time.

That being said I started a new game and chose select a job for me option and was given an average dutch team. After a successful season (cup run and title chase, European qualification) I was given the Uruguay job, won the World Cup and Copa America and are 2nd in the world, I now have Liverpool chasing my signature...

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭dannyo666

aaronh007 wrote: »
    I wasn't looking for money, I just wanted to get rid so I could build my own team, so I put them on the market for a lot less than what they were worth.

Just had an offer for Rodwell accepted, delighted.

Now I just need to go and search for a replacement for Fabregas, any ideas??

Why get rid of fabregas when he is the best passing midfielder in the game?

Because he is one of very few Arsenal first team players left at my club and when he moves on I'll be able to tell if my team can hack it long term. I might just put Rodwell in Fabs position and see what happens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I finished my first season with Spurs there last week. Came fourth ahead of Man Utd so I got into the champions league. Signed Van der Vaart form R. Madrid (firstly on a loan, with a future price agreed). The thing is the board gave me 3.8 million for transfers for next season!:eek: Anyone think this is unrealistic considering Spurs have been amongst the top spenders in the last few years?

Advertisement