Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

open street map

Options
  • 01-11-2009 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi guys, I hope this is in the right spot. Anyways I'm just looking for some advice about software. I am interested in contributing to the open street map project and wondering if you guys could offer some advice on the software I will need for my pc. I have a GPS, and know I will also need some sort of editor like JOSM or potlatch...I know I will need more than that but I'm not sure what. Any advice or pointers in the right direction appreciated. Cheers guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Hi! You're pretty much there, you just need to able to transfer your traces from the GPS to your PC. If you're on Windows you probably have software from your GPS to do it, under anything else you can probably use gpsbabel to copy them. Make sure that you have set your GPS *not* to lock to the roads in the built-in maps :)

Whether to use JOSM (downloadable Java-based program) or potlatch (in-browser Flash-based) is a matter of taste. Personally I like JOSM, but that's me. There's a fair bit of help on the OSM Wiki for both. Whichever you use, take a look at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Ireland to see how we "tag" the roads in Ireland.

I'd also highly recommend introducing yourself on the Irish mailing list and/or IRC channel. Whereabouts are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 SoItsMe

Thanks for that reply it was really helpful. I am based in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Good stuff. Looking at the map of Dublin you'd think it was nearly finished, but I can assure it isn't! Lots of residential areas, points of interest, turn restrictions still to be added, as well as many streets drawn in but without a name, or without an Irish translation, or...

Now if you've a car, like long drives and have shares in an oil company, there's even more fresh territory a little further out! :D

Advertisement