Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study food

Options
  • 01-11-2009 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

After the school day, at about 5ish in after school study, I find my energy levels dip big time. Does anyone have any suggestions of healthy, high energy snacks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

fruits-sliced,vegetables-sticks eg carrots,smoothies,raisins,popcorn,peanut butter sandwich,tuna sandwich,yogurt and dark chocolate blocks.
    These food example help give the body energy,witch is released slowly.
    scientifically proven that these healthy snacks release energy slowly by the body.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Same with me. Infact, last year, it got so bad I started falling asleep until 7, I'd then wake up, be really groggy, and rush my homework to have it done as quick as possible.

First off, you need to get more sleep. What you're doing now isn't working. If you're getting 7 hours (like I was), start getting 8, if you're getting 8, start getting 9, and so on.

Secondly, exercise after school works wonders for energy levels. After spending a day of sitting down, listening and reading, abit of good, physical activity really wakes you up. I go for a jog usually, unless I have training. I think the more intense, the better. But the fresh air wakes you up too. Even a brisk walk would do.

Food-wise, you already know it all. Keep it healthy. Avoid sugarry stuff that gives you a quick energy high, and then a deep energy low.

Alot of people, including myself, use Berocca. It does indeed work, but I try to keep it to a minimum unless I'm seriously bad because it's fairly expensive!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

jumpguy wrote: »
    Alot of people, including myself, use Berocca. It does indeed work, but I try to keep it to a minimum unless I'm seriously bad because it's fairly expensive!

Isn't Berocca what you take to get rid of hangovers? Maybe I'm confusing it with something else :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Same with me. Infact, last year, it got so bad I started falling asleep until 7, I'd then wake up, be really groggy, and rush my homework to have it done as quick as possible.

First off, you need to get more sleep. What you're doing now isn't working. If you're getting 7 hours (like I was), start getting 8, if you're getting 8, start getting 9, and so on.

Secondly, exercise after school works wonders for energy levels. After spending a day of sitting down, listening and reading, abit of good, physical activity really wakes you up. I go for a jog usually, unless I have training. I think the more intense, the better. But the fresh air wakes you up too. Even a brisk walk would do.

Food-wise, you already know it all. Keep it healthy. Avoid sugarry stuff that gives you a quick energy high, and then a deep energy low.

Is it not bad to exercise late? That'd be my only option and I remember hearing/reading that it keeps you awake late:confused:. Berroca accounts for 3/4s of my breakfeast:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Excercise will only keep you awake late if you do it right before bed.

• Advertisement

theowen wrote: »
    Is it not bad to exercise late? That'd be my only option and I remember hearing/reading that it keeps you awake late:confused:. Berroca accounts for 3/4s of my breakfeast:rolleyes::D
    Yeah, if you consider 5:00PM late? :confused:

Just re-read the OP and realised he's in after school study. I never liked this, because you get no chance to exercise or anything then after. Especially in winter when it's dark after. This meant being knackered, and trapped inside the room. Also, sometimes in a crowded/overheated room in after school study, it can become stuffy and this can lead to tiredness too.

Yeah, if you consider 5:00PM late? :confused:
    No no, I live a fair bit away from my school and I don't get home until 9ish:rolleyes:

No no, I live a fair bit away from my school and I don't get home until 9ish:rolleyes:
    Ahh jayzuz I see. That's some distance! TBH, if you're getting tired at after school study and not getting study then, then it's not working for you. But start from the start, try getting more sleep first. How much sleep do you currently get?

Ahh jayzuz I see. That's some distance! TBH, if you're getting tired at after school study and not getting study then, then it's not working for you. But start from the start, try getting more sleep first. How much sleep do you currently get?
    Oh it's not that far, like an hour away, but I leave study at 8 so I get home as late as I do. Hmm sleep, like 7 at the max:rolleyes:

Oh it's not that far, like an hour away, but I leave study at 8 so I get home as late as I do. Hmm sleep, like 7 at the max:rolleyes:
    That's your main problem then. More sleep is needed. The recommended for an adult is 8. 7 is never gonna do, nevermind less than 7.

• Advertisement
Advertisement