Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] The price is right for Homebuyers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

http://tinyurl.com/yatxzcu

this article in todays independent is probably welcome as it shows where things are from the other side of the fence. The guy doesn't say that its a great time to buy - simply that he's selling houses below cost. And he highlights the lack of liquidity from the banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

I'm confused... :confused:

2007: IHBA dismiss the idea that prices will fall 40% or more over 8-9 years
    Professor Kelly says that if this pattern held in Ireland, house prices adjusted for inflation could fall by 40% to 60%, with larger falls at the top and bottom of the market.
    The Irish Home Builders' Association has rejected Professor's Kelly's report, claiming it is inaccurate and questioning his research methods.
    http://www.rte.ie/business/2007/0703/houses.html

2009: IHBA say house prices fell 40% in 2 years but won't fall further.
    The average price of new homes across the country has now fallen by 40 per cent from its 2007 peak and may have reached the bottom of the current downward cycle, according to The Irish Home Builders’ Association (IHBA).
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1102/breaking57.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I'm confused... :confused:

Harvey Norman tells you theres never been a better time to buy furniture, Winsor motors says theres never been a better time to buy a new car...

Do you spend all your time confused?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Gurgle wrote: »
    Harvey Norman tells you theres never been a better time to buy furniture, Winsor motors says theres never been a better time to buy a new car...

Do you spend all your time confused?

I'll have to admit, I was being slightly facetious there. But I do like your analogies.
    More car salesmen saying now is a good time to buy a car.

It's just funny how these groups produce these PR pieces that contradict one another. You'd almost think the Irish public had a short memory :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

Why would anyone even pay 250k+ for a 3 bed semi? In normal countries like Sweden, Norway and Finland people live in proper detached houses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

SLUSK wrote: »
    Why would anyone even pay 250k+ for a 3 bed semi? In normal countries like Sweden, Norway and Finland people live in proper detached houses.

ROFL
    So unless we live like them we aren't normal?
    We better tell the Chinese, Japaneese, English, French etc... that they aren't normal.

We live in the world we are in, the recent building boom in Ireland has gone a long way to diversifying the housing stock in this country. Dublin certainly has become more like the rest of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

Kipperhell wrote: »
    ROFL
    So unless we live like them we aren't normal?
    We better tell the Chinese, Japaneese, English, French etc... that they aren't normal.

We live in the world we are in, the recent building boom in Ireland has gone a long way to diversifying the housing stock in this country. Dublin certainly has become more like the rest of Europe.
    I myself have seen how people in London, England live and their accommodation is of inferior quality.

"British" and "Irish" standards of accommodation are the butt of alot of jokes around here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Can someone point out exactly what is wrong with the standard of Irish houses? Its a common complaint on here but nobody ever actually goes into the details. I'm interested because I'm in the process of moving and want to avoid any dodgy builds. Are people just talking about badly maintained or poorly finished houses? i.e draughty doors and windows. Or is it something deeper than that, maybe structural things I should look out for?

The thing I hate about Irish houses and something I see alot of in my viewings are 2 beds being pawned off as 3 beds. The infamous "box room". Handy as a very small office space but when people start telling me its a bedroom I can't help but laugh. OK, technically you can squeeze a small bed in but is that the definition of a bedroom? So my hallway, landing, kitchen bathroom are all bedrooms. That makes my apt a 6 bed in that case :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

SLUSK wrote: »
    I myself have seen how people in London, England live and their accommodation is of inferior quality.

"British" and "Irish" standards of accommodation are the butt of alot of jokes around here :D

Wow you lived somewhere else. I guess that means the fact I studied engineering and lived around the world means I some how missed that Sweden, Norway and Finland are the superior builders and the norm.

Don't they also have a lot more space to build detached houses? Playing the superiority card is a bit silly on this, like telling somebody in the desert to have a snowball fight.

Advertisement