Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ironman Lanzarote - Where the sun always shines?

• 01-11-2009 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭

Ok, I’ve had the week off after DCM, I’ve put on 7lbs (1 a day:D) through general fun filled debauchery, and now its time to train for Ironman Lanzarote next May.

This is my first Ironman, and sure where better to start than Lanzarote! I’ve done a few sprint and OD tris and now want to test myself at the longer distance.

I got Don Fink’s book today (step one in my training!) and I’m going to try to stick to his ‘competitive’ program, with some modifications. I’m reluctant to start his program from the start because that would involve me stepping off on my current training and I don’t want to let my base fitness drop (the last week aside!). So for the first few months the plan is to supplement his program with some additional work.

I’ll try to update on my progress here…hopefully it’ll give some extra motivation…I’ve a feeling I might need it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

poskantor wrote: »
    Ok, I’ve had the week off after DCM, I’ve put on 7lbs (1 a day:D) through general fun filled debauchery, and now its time to train for Ironman Lanzarote next May.

This is my first Ironman, and sure where better to start than Lanzarote! I’ve done a few sprint and OD tris and now want to test myself at the longer distance.

I got Don Fink’s book today (step one in my training!) and I’m going to try to stick to his ‘competitive’ program, with some modifications. I’m reluctant to start his program from the start because that would involve me stepping off on my current training and I don’t want to let my base fitness drop (the last week aside!). So for the first few months the plan is to supplement his program with some additional work.

I’ll try to update on my progress here…hopefully it’ll give some extra motivation…I’ve a feeling I might need it!

I will be keeping an eye on your thread. Best of luck.
    Is there a time limit on Lanzarote ?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

All the best for it.

I was in Nice for the Ironman in September and had serious respect for the athletes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭poskantor

I will be keeping an eye on your thread. Best of luck.
    Is there a time limit on Lanzarote ?

Not sure of the time limit, they have one I'm sure but hopefully I wont be too close to it!

Not sure of the time limit, they have one I'm sure but hopefully I wont be too close to it!

What time did you do in Dublin last monday ?
    Just trying to gage how long an ironman would take the average athlete ?
    I do a bit of cycling but wouldnt be any good. Average runner but wearing arm bands in an ironman wouldnt be allowed.
    How many hours a week training would it entail ?
    7ibs up in a week. I struggle with the weight too. Up 10ibs in last 5 weeks after berlin.
    My mentality of eating what i has has to change.
    What sessions in the water would you advise a newcomer to do ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭poskantor

I'm normally good with nutrition, and dont struggle with my weight (I'm 5'10, 154lbs...or at least I was last week!), but the DCM was my end of season, so after nearly a year of solid training/racing I went a bit mental:D

I did 3:01 in the marathon, but felt my training could have been alot better...it was almost solely done on the threadmill, and I only focused 100% on running 6 week beforehand.

I'll be starting off training about 10hrs per week and build up to about 20.

I'm not a good person to ask about swimming, my technique is poor, and its my weakest discipline by far. Addressing that will be a main focus in the next couple of months. If you're new to swimming the best advise I can give is to get lessons so you develop good technique from the off, it will save you hours of time and energy in the pool in the future.

• Advertisement

I'm normally good with nutrition, and dont struggle with my weight (I'm 5'10, 154lbs...or at least I was last week!), but the DCM was my end of season, so after nearly a year of solid training/racing I went a bit mental:D

I did 3:01 in the marathon, but felt my training could have been alot better...it was almost solely done on the threadmill, and I only focused 100% on running 6 week beforehand.

I'll be starting off training about 10hrs per week and build up to about 20.

I'm not a good person to ask about swimming, my technique is poor, and its my weakest discipline by far. Addressing that will be a main focus in the next couple of months. If you're new to swimming the best advise I can give is to get lessons so you develop good technique from the off, it will save you hours of time and energy in the pool in the future.
    3.01 wth most of your running on a threadmill is awesome. Will be following log carefully. Enjoy those hard sessions over the winter.

Advertisement