Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 Off-Topic thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

diarmuid05 wrote: »
    How long you reckon it'd take to drive from dublin to let just say warsaw?

I would plan it and stagger it over maybe three to four days.

I'd plan over night or two days stops at set locations (hotels or motels or guesthouses) just to take the distance out of it and get some proper sleep and a good wash.

Maybe some towns that are like Irish country towns :) The women will love me :)

Here's the route.

sv5u2w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Any Stuttgart Veterans around? would love to get their thoughts...

Would be an epic journey, but also epic craic.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

Dublin, Co. Dublin, Ireland
    Latitude: 53.34410, Longitude: -6.26749

2,243 km (about 1 day 1 hour)
    1. Head east on Cork Hill/N81 toward Parliament St
    Continue to follow N81 500 m
    2. Continue onto College Green/N11
    Continue to follow N11 350 m
    3. Turn right onto Bachelors Walk/N1/N4 21 m
    4. Continue onto Eden Quay 290 m
    5. Continue onto Custom House Quay 200 m
    6. Slight left to stay on Custom House Quay 400 m
    7. Continue onto N Wall Quay 1.2 km
    8. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto E Wall Rd 700 m
    9. Continue onto R131 76 m
    10. Take the ramp 150 m
    11. Turn right toward Promenade Rd 230 m
    12. Continue straight onto Promenade Rd 500 m
    13. At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Bond Dr 220 m
    14. Bond Dr turns slightly left and becomes Tolka Quay Rd 750 m
    15. Turn right onto Breakwater Rd N 140 m
    16. Take the 1st left onto Alexandra Rd 300 m
    17. Slight right to stay on Alexandra Rd 350 m
    18. Take the Dublin - Holyhead ferry to Holyhead
    Entering United Kingdom (Wales) 113 km
    19. Continue straight onto Seabank Rd 250 m
    20. At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Llanfawr Rd/A55 heading to Caergybi/Holyhead/Bangor-is-y-coed 170 m
    21. Turn right onto London Rd/A55 140 m
    22. Turn left onto Victoria Rd/A55 (signs for Bangor-is-y-coed)
    Continue to follow A55
    Go through 3 roundabouts 120 km
    23. Continue onto A494 3.5 km
    24. Continue onto A550 3.1 km
    25. Continue onto A5117
    Entering England 4.3 km
    26. Continue onto M56 (signs for Warrington/Manchester) 31.6 km
    27. At junction 9, exit onto M6 toward Birmingham 90.0 km
    28. At junction 11a, exit onto M6 toward B'ham/M5 77.8 km
    29. Merge onto M1 98.2 km
    30. At junction 6a, exit onto M25 toward M11/M20/Dartford
    Partial toll road 65.5 km
    31. Continue onto A282
    Partial toll road 5.1 km
    32. Continue onto M25 6.7 km
    33. At junction 3, exit onto M20 toward Dover/Maidstone 77.2 km
    34. Exit at junction 11a 600 m
    35. Continue straight 1.1 km
    36. Continue straight 1.0 km
    37. Slight left 850 m
    38. Take the Folkestone - Calais train to Fréthun
    Entering France 54.1 km
    39. Take the train to Coquelles 350 m
    40. Continue straight 120 m
    41. Turn right toward Av. de France 1.1 km
    42. Continue straight onto Av. de France 1.0 km
    43. Keep right at the fork and merge onto A16
    Speed camera in 36.0 km
    Entering Belgium 56.9 km
    44. Continue onto E40 90.7 km
    45. Take exit Zwijnaarde for E17 toward Gent/Antwerpen 1.6 km
    46. Merge onto B401 550 m
    47. Take exit Gent-Centrum to merge onto E17 toward Antwerpen/Haven 1-6990 49.4 km
    48. Take exit Antwerpen-West toward Breda/Luik/Brussel/Antwerpen-Centrum/Ring Antwerpen /Haven 1-499 500 m
    49. Merge onto E34 9.3 km
    50. Continue onto E313 8.7 km
    51. Slight right onto E34 (signs for Eindhoven/Turnhout)
    Entering Netherlands 48.7 km
    52. Continue onto A67 22.5 km
    53. Slight right to stay on A67
    Entering Germany 52.3 km
    54. Continue onto A40 42.4 km
    55. Take exit 14-Kreuz Kaiserberg for A3 toward Hannover/DU-Kaiserberg/Arnheim/Köln 350 m
    56. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for DU-Kaiserberg 170 m
    57. Keep right at the fork, follow signs for Arnheim/Hannover/A3 and merge onto A3 11.7 km
    58. Continue onto A2 473 km
    59. Continue onto A10 7.1 km
    60. Take exit 19 on the left to merge onto A10 57.8 km
    61. Take exit 1-Dreieck Spreeau to merge onto A12 toward Warschau (Ger)/Warszawa (Ger)/Frankfurt (Oder)
    Entering Poland 58.8 km
    62. Continue onto E30
    Go through 1 roundabout 113 km
    63. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit and stay on E30 2.2 km
    64. Turn left to stay on E30
    Partial toll road
    Go through 1 roundabout 290 km
    65. Turn right onto Poznańska 3.0 km
    66. Continue onto E30 20.0 km
    67. Slight right to stay on E30
    Go through 1 roundabout 32.8 km
    68. Slight right to stay on E30 21.0 km
    69. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Marcina Kasprzaka 1.5 km
    70. Continue onto Prosta
    Go through 1 roundabout 1.4 km
    71. At Rondo ONZ, take the 1st exit onto Świętokrzyska 750 m
    72. Turn right onto Marszałkowska 600 m
    73. Enter Rondo Romana Dmowskiego 110 m

Warsaw, Poland
    Latitude: 52.22968, Longitude: 21.01223

Its need the map??

21 days off work. Few stops on the way. 4x4 with 5 occupants.

Wednesday 6th June:
    Dublin – London: Early morning departure.
    Estimated travel time: 8hrs 8mins Distance: 582km Fuel: €75.30 Ferry: €179

Thursday 7th June:
    London – Bruges: Euro Tunnel departs 14.50
    Estimated travel time: 3hrs 43mins Distance: 175ML Fuel: €35.02 Tunnel: €81:40

Friday 8th June:
    Bruges – Berlin
    Estimated travel time: 7hrs 44mins Distance: 833km Fuel: €114.22

Saturday 9th June:
    Berlin – Warsaw
    Estimated travel time: 7hrs 9mins Distance: 591km Fuel: €79.94#

I think you might need to be a bit more ruthless with the stopovers, i'd rather just get there....

If you were thinking of the same on the journey home that's a lot of days traveling.

• Advertisement

I think you might need to be a bit more ruthless with the stopovers, i'd rather just get there....

If you were thinking of the same on the journey home that's a lot of days traveling.

I have an admission to make, I do not plan on driving home.

I plan on flying home, we'll simply give the van away.

I know, i know but the part of the experience is getting to the venue but never going home.

Ha ha, i was just considering the exact same thing...

I've a 99 corolla for sale at the moment, might hang on to her :D

Ha ha, i was just considering the exact same thing...

I've a 99 corolla for sale at the moment, might hang on to her :D

http://www.autotrader.ie/search/Austin/Maestro/700-1.6-/201145205525820/advert?channel=COMMERCIALS

look at this bad boy :)

no-image-large.gif

Somebody just has to drive that to Poland..... :P

Somebody just has to drive that to Poland..... :P

As long as i have my three CD set of 80s power ballads, I am more than happy to do it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

Considering the options now...

Looking at flying to Bratislava, but it's all a bit premature til we know the city we'll be based in....

They are some big ass countries....

True! Need to wait and see whether we'll be in Poland or Ukraine! If we end up in group B or D, we'll be playing our matches in Ukraine and two of the cities hosting the games are at opposite ends of the country, around 1,000km from each other (Lviv and Donetsk)! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

How long you reckon it'd take to drive from dublin to let just say warsaw?

20 hours on ferry from Rosslare to Cherbourg (it's holiday time from 1 July to 31 August and expensive ticket for ferry, standard car by irishferries, one cabin for 2 people, cost approximately 500 euro in one way, 1000 euro both)

20 hours in car from Cherbourg to Warsaw (in France you need pay approximately 50 euro for toll in motorway) motorway in Belgium, Germany is free, in Poland half is free half have toll.

Petrol for standard car cost approximately 250 euro in one way.

If you have only one driver you need sleep in car on parking in Germany for 3-4 hours (it's safe), if you have two driver's you don't need stop, you can drive still.

You can tray take ferry to Uk and later take ticket for eurotunel, but this way made you tired. If you take ferry directly from Ireland to France you can go to pub on ship and take few beers :D

You just need some navi, i us Garmin with map of europe, it's perfect, but you can also use standard paper map, i try both way and always arrive in correct place :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I cant see why this is in the D15 forum and not in Soccer -anyone give me a reason not to lock this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

ask author ;) but i can say that if this topic was in soccer i newer see this because i never look to sport forums ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Moved to off-topic thread rather than locking or moving to soccer.

I would love to be able to make that trip, but I just know that I wont have the money :(

Come on the lotto!!

Gaspode wrote: »
    I cant see why this is in the D15 forum and not in Soccer -anyone give me a reason not to lock this please?

Gaspode I wanted to see what other people in the general Dublin 15 area are doing themselves in getting to Eastern Europe. we have sixteen football clubs in D15 alone and that's enough to get a good idea what people in our own town are doing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

I would plan it and stagger it over maybe three to four days.

I'd plan over night or two days stops at set locations (hotels or motels or guesthouses) just to take the distance out of it and get some proper sleep and a good wash.

Maybe some towns that are like Irish country towns :) The women will love me :)

Here's the route.

sv5u2w.jpg
    I was driving to Poland this summer, i selected diferent route. - Dublin - Rosslare - Pembroke - Folkstone - Calais, Amsterdam on way in, Antwerp on way out, Bremen, Szczecin - Gdansk ( North of Poland)

Return trip - it was about 4200km
    - spent 550 euro on petrol ( 2litre engine)

It took me 1.5h to get to Rosslare 6pm - 7.30pm)
    4h on ferry ( snap)
    5.5h night drive from pembroke to folkstone, (00 - 5.30am)
    1.5h early morning snap (5.30am - 7am)
    0.5h - eurotunnell 7.30am - 9am)
    6h - Calais -Amsterdam (9am - 3pm)
    night in Amsterdam
    Amsterdam - Bremen - 4h (10am - 2pm)
    Stayed in Bremen another night
    - Bremen - Gdansk - 11h - ( 3 h traffic on the motorway) - 10am - 9pm

on way back
    Gdansk - Bremen - 8h ,( 5am - 1pm) night in Bremen
    Bremen - Calais - 7h (4am - 11am)
    Eurotunnell - 0.5h (11.30am - 11am)
    Folkstone - Pembroke - 6h (11am- 5pm)
    ferry 4h
    Rosslare Dublin 2h.

pm me if you need more details.

You can see a large difference in driving hours between way in and way out - it is because of traffic.
    at 4 am there is no traffic at all, and i could drive through Germany all the way almost 200km/h , while on the way in - there were many bad traffic moments.
    The same is through Poland - at 4am no traffic while in the afternoon it is quite busy.

Happy Christmas to all out west in the D15 area!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Murt10

I was in Tesco Roselawn earlier this evening.

As I was going in a Garda was writing up a ticket for a Northern Reg BMW, parked in one the Disabled Drivers spots.

When I was leaving about 10 mins later, the three occupants of the car were talking to him. He didn't appear to be taking any sh1t. "Produce your licence ..... " was what I heard as I walked past (sniggering to myself).

Well done Garda!

If they gave a Southern address, I hope you also inform Revenue and cause them even more problems.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

While I've no sympathy for people who park in disabled spots, this isn't really a D15 specific issue so I've moved it to the off-topic thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Murt10

Zaph wrote: »
    While I've no sympathy for people who park in disabled spots, this isn't really a D15 specific issue so I've moved it to the off-topic thread.

Post amended.

The incident was in the Roselawn Shopping Centre. The Garda, who was on foot, writing the ticket was based in Blanch so it is a Dublin 15 issue.

It's great to hear the Santa train whistling and chugging by every few hours, very Christmassy. Reminds me of when ours were small and we did that trip a few times with them, a great day out. If you havent been on the santa train yet you can register here for next year http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/events/

A large employer, if not one of the top three employers in D15 have created their own Harlem Shake video this morning.

Worth a look and worth a share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UIbS5k567E

;)

Moved to appropriate thread.

I personally would encourage everyone to NOT watch any Harlem shake videos, lifes just to damn short! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I like my Internet memes better when they don't have a big corporate logo on them :-/ social media & marketing graduate fail.

Arciphel wrote: »
    I like my Internet memes better when they don't have a big corporate logo on them :-/ social media & marketing graduate fail.

It was created by and produced by staff who felt the company needs to show a more human side, as opposed to just another large corporate company in Dublin 15 and they did it brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It's a bit of a mess. I actually like some of the Harlem Shake videos but that one wasn't really done well.

It's a bit of a mess. I actually like some of the Harlem Shake videos but that one wasn't really done well.

Do you like the Corduff football club one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

It was created by and produced by staff who felt the company needs to show a more human side, as opposed to just another large corporate company in Dublin 15 and they did it brilliantly.
    We'll both have our opinions then Chuck! Do you work in Symantec by any chance? LOL. There's nothing worse than these kind of try-hards who would love something to go "viral" for a bit of oul free publicity. In my opinion.

• Advertisement

I just feel there is so much great stuff on Youtube why would you waste time looking at stuff like that where people are just copying something that's already been done. Like flash mob dances, they really irritate me! (I'm so old!)

Advertisement