Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicuspid Aortic Valve.

Options
  • 01-11-2009 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a small heart issue (bicuspid aortic valve) and although it's not anywhere near as much an issue as many of the users of this forum I thought I'd just see if there are any other people here with the same issue.

I've always known I have it and it's never affected me in any way physically. I guess I'm just becoming a little more conscious of it now that I'm getting a bit older (now 40).

I swim ca. 40 lengths of a 25m pool a couple of times a week and also took up horse riding about 6 months ago.:) Absolutely love that!

Doesn't require any medication and I may or may not ever require any surgery. Hopefully not.

Anybody else out there with a similar issue? From what I've been told between 2 and 3% of the population have it. My biggest problem is that every time I get a twinge anywhere in my upper body I assume it's something to do with my heart :rolleyes:.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

i have a bicuspid valve and was born with an aortic stenosis which almost killed me, im now a healthy 22 year old on no medication. and although i cannot give any medical advice, from personal experience the twinge is nothing but if your concerned you should go to your cardiologist if you have one or a doctor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Yeah, I get checked up every couple of years. The cardiologist is happy enough with that. Actually, she keeps pushing it out as there's been no change in gradient for 10 years (25mmHg).

I guess it's a very minor complaint really but I've never encountered anybody else with it and was just curious as to other peoples experiences.

Advertisement