Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Forum on licensed firearms

Options
  • 01-11-2009 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Sunday Forum 18:10 RTE Radio 1
    Myles Dungan presents a topical discussion of ethical issues.

Tonight it was burglary and the rights of the homeowner. Dr. Tom Clonan was on giving the figures for licensed firearms and expressing amazement at the numbers licensed. He seemed particularly shocked at the number of rifles licensed and said he'd now be concerned at going hillwalking, let alone breaking into houses! Don't see it up on the website yet though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

Typical......... just typical!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

He can't go hillwalking because he'd get the camera dirty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Tom Clonan, same anti-gun tosser that was on Prime Time before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

it's coming, first CFP large bore rifles next
    how long before civilians are totally disarmed,might be in 50 years....maybe less

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

How Clonan has any sort of creditability after the Prime Time debacle and that waste of time historical mental masturbation programme "if Lynch had invaded" ,is beyond me!:rolleyes:
    Anyone going to go to one of George Hook's talk forums that he will be holding around the country giving people a chance to air their greviences on the state of the Nation??At least we might get a fair hearing.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If anyone would be concerned breaking into houses that can only be seen as a good thing.

For a start breaking into a house involves an illegal and hostile use of force -in my opinion directed against the occupier of the home - to gain access.

Second : burglars never enter a home with friendly intentions, at least they wish to steal or do damage. And an added factor is that as the occupier of that home you can never know how the scumbag who just entered your home is going to behave towards you if you encounter him.

How do you feel as a person on the receiving end of that carry on ? Do you proverbially leave by the backdoor as Mr scumbag comes in by the front door ? It's probably the safest thing to do but what do you do when Mr scumbag is downstairs and you're upstairs and your only way out is jumping out of a window ? Are you going to break a few bones or are you going to take action of some sort ?

Keep in mind that so far I've been assuming Mr scumbag(s) is going to be of a rather passive nature towards you.

So what do you do as the occupier of the house ?

Personally I know exactly what I'll attempt to do. Suffise to say nobody will seriously threathen or harm my wife, my children and myself in my own home if I have even the smallest chance of doing something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

BornToKill wrote: »
    Sunday Forum 18:10 RTE Radio 1
    Myles Dungan presents a topical discussion of ethical issues.

Tonight it was burglary and the rights of the homeowner. Dr. Tom Clonan was on giving the figures for licensed firearms and expressing amazement at the numbers licensed. He seemed particularly shocked at the number of rifles licensed and said he'd now be concerned at going hillwalking, let alone breaking into houses! Don't see it up on the website yet though.

Why would he be concerned, does he normally walk around with a pair of antlers sellotaped to his head??

Edit - he'd be safe now season is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Advertisement