Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funding legal action possibility

Options
  • 01-11-2009 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

How do we (that's us all.....us all!!) fund possible court action(s) against licence refusals on apparent unacceptable grounds or is it coming to the situation that we may be "picked off one by one" until there's nobody left?? Eh, do we all stick together 'cause it seems to me we wouldn't stick together in a barrel of tar!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

Excellent Mr. Sparks. I agree with each and every sentiment expressed.... but we are still "sitting ducks".

Maybe so. But doing something just to do something, especially in our situation, is akin to throwing water on a grease fire. Sure sounds like you're doing something, but all you end up with results-wise is a 20 foot fireball, first-, second-, and third-degree burns over half your body, and a house burning down around your ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

So we all sit here and wait, let down by supposedly representative organisations, societies, associations and clubs..... we wouldn't stick together in a barrel of tar!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i like the way your thinking D , the courts will be flat out over the next few years,
    i know that refused pistol holders are getting legal advice hear in wx .

if my mod is turned down il take action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

jwshooter wrote: »
    i like the way your thinking D , the courts will be flat out over the next few years,
    i know that refused pistol holders are getting legal advice hear in wx .

if my mod is turned down il take action.

what are the calibres that are being refused are they bigger that 9mm read sparks link above and well is a .4 really suited to target shooting, seems to me to be the same as using a .50 bmg to shoot silhouettes
    I'd agree with the super in that case

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I've deleted a few posts here (1 which was personal abuse, the rest which wouldn't make sense after that was removed).

jwshooter is also banned for persistently ignoring the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

4gun wrote: »
    what are the calibres that are being refused are they bigger that 9mm read sparks link above and well is a .4 really suited to target shooting, seems to me to be the same as using a .50 bmg to shoot silhouettes

to be honest 4-gun , that sounds like a real "pull up the ladder i'm alright" type of statement , i shoot a .45 acp and this round is widely used in nra 3-gun competitions , the .45 is widely used for "bullseye" shooting and a whole range of accessories are available to convert 1911 pistols for this type of sport ,e.g. orthopaedic grips and target sights .
    i have never competited in a practical pistol match or even attended one and always used my centrefire pistol for paper punching and ppc 1500 events and only intended to do so .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

You're a disgrace to your sport for making a statement like that - a good percentage of people in target shooting use a .4 - a good percentage use .38, .45, etc.

It is what they have, they cannot get anything else - do you condemn then to a life out of their chosen sport?? Who the flock are you to make that decision?

Colours nailed to the post alright - all calibres are equal - as long as I have one.

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

You need to take a look around you 4gun; the standard calibre for WA1500 is .38 wadcutter and in fact that was the calibre for ISSF centre fire pistol up until the .32 WC took over. It's still allowed for in the rules which makes it (by your warped logic) perfectly suited for target shooting :rolleyes:.

I heard (and obviously this is not confirmed) that someone was refused a licence for a .38 under lever (used for gallery rifle) as it was 'a military weapon'. I nearly fell off my horse laughing :D

• Advertisement

my point being that just because a shooting class exists, doesn't mean that you can shoot it. In the US there is a class of shooter that use sub machine guns in compition should we try to licence them also, just because it exists and some one wants to give it a go
    the line has to be drawn some where

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

my point being that just because a shooting class exists, doesn't mean that you can shoot it. In the US there is a class of shooter that use sub machine guns in compition should we try to licence them also, just because it exists and some one wants to give it a go
    the line has to be drawn some where

Yes, but at calibres is a ridiculous way to do it. Your analogy is flawed, as only licensing a category of firearm (like centrefire pistols) in a certain calibre is rather different to not licensing whole categories of firearm (such as those with fully automatic capability). A more appropriate analogy would be to license an UZI in 9mm Para, but not a Thompson in .45 ACP, to continue your own illustration.

4 gun - why are you off tryng to use an analogy with the USA - we have ad naueum outlined here and elsewhere that we have no interest in what goes on there.

We have no interest other than safeguarding the
    SPORTS WE ALREADY TAKE PART IN AND HAVE DONE FOR YEARS NOW.

The Gardai have licensed various firearms over that time, for use in those sports.

If the individuals who hold those licenses can show that they have been using the firearm, for the purpose for which they licensed it, then their application should be dealt with on that basis.

There are no new restricted firearms licenses - i.e. no new centrefire pistol licenses - therefore all applications for a centrefire pistol license are for those that were ALREADY LICENSED.

You may have been refused your license(s) but that is NOT because of ANYTHING done by ANY other target shooter.

It is either because of something YOU did or did not do or simply because you are a Target Shooter - i.e. persona non grata with Mr. Ahern.

Please direct your anger towards the cause of your predicament - not the target shooters, rather our esteemed policy makers.

Do that by contacting your club and/or NGB, informing them of the relevant information and putting pressure on them to inform you of what THEY (i.e. WE) are going to do about it.

If Every aggreived target shooter, regardless of dscipline, calibre or action were to pressure their NGBs (who we elect) to provide a united front on our behalf, AND KEEP US INFORMED OF EVERYTHING THEY ARE DOING, we MAY get somewhere.

If the reps from your NGB pulls a 'we don't want to play with them' or 'we have our own ball' or the now infamous 'keep your head down' bullsh1t then tell em you don't give a rats arse and you want them to put their petty differences aside and work together on this - and keep you informed of what they are doing - or you will see them out on their arse come the AGM and replaced by someone who will.

Time for fecking about is well gone. They'll be the lords of an empty mano and known forever as the ones who rode the horse off the cliff r if they don't get their collective fingers out.

United we stand, divided we fall.

B'Man

for starters let me just get one thing straight ..my post that you are all commenting on was in responce to an earlier post that has been now deleted for some reason
    I am not anti pistol in any shape
    my origional post was in relation to the link in sparks post above in which a case was taken against a local super who refused someone a licence for a certain type of pistol and his decision was upheld in court, after reading part of the transcript from the case I said that I a would agree with the super

You probably should reread the transcript 4gun - that case was lost because the applicant made a dogs dinner of the application process. From reading between the lines of the transcript, I'd say he shouldn't have had a firearm either - but it had nothing to do with the kind of firearm he was looking for and everything to do with how he went looking for one and why. If someone walks into the local station, demands a firearm (of any kind) because he "has a right to one" in return for filling out a form correctly, and gets into a shouting match with the Super and accuses the Super of breaking the law and thinks he should have a firearm because all his mates have one... yeah, that's not someone whose application is going to be looked on favourably, and probably with good reason.

All of which has feck all to do with someone who HAD a license for a centrefire handgun now having to re-apply.

Discuss cases of people who never had a license (and hence now never will) in a seperate thread please.

B'Man

Bananaman wrote: »
    All of which has feck all to do with someone who HAD a license for a centrefire handgun now having to re-apply.

Discuss cases of people who never had a license (and hence now never will) in a seperate thread please.

B'Man
    I thought this thread was about legal action and court cases and the need to be careful as to which cases you take to court? :confused:

It is - but we must prevent there being a 'select few' (be that people, firearm make, model, calibre or action)

All animals are equal.........

B'Man

Sparks wrote: »
    You probably should reread the transcript 4gun - that case was lost because the applicant made a dogs dinner of the application process. From reading between the lines of the transcript, I'd say he shouldn't have had a firearm either - but it had nothing to do with the kind of firearm he was looking for and everything to do with how he went looking for one and why. If someone walks into the local station, demands a firearm (of any kind) because he "has a right to one" in return for filling out a form correctly, and gets into a shouting match with the Super and accuses the Super of breaking the law and thinks he should have a firearm because all his mates have one... yeah, that's not someone whose application is going to be looked on favourably, and probably with good reason.

look we're all on the same page here, we're just looking at it from different angles
    Sparks your post was origionaly about the perils of people taking ill prepared and weak cases to court and in that case losing, to the cost of every other shooter
    I was, after reading the link you included in agreement with you :eek:

It is - but we must prevent there being a 'select few' (be that people, firearm make, model, calibre or action)
    B'Man
    It's not about a "select few" B'man -- unless you define that select few as being the ones who don't stomp into a Garda station and demand a 9mm pistol as their right as an Irish citizen because all their mates have one and doesn't their taxes pay the Garda's wages and I WANT IT NOW OR I'LL HOLD MY BREATH UNTIL I TURN BLUE!!!!. You know what I mean?

• Advertisement

B'Man

the select few already exists, granfathering should never have happened people were afraid of going for all or nothing, but once the minister said that those who already had their licences as of Nov.'08 could keep them and this pacified the pistol community ...well ,thats where the battle was lost
    just pick a few off at a time over the next few licencing terms and you'll all be gone:(

i will not countenance a person, firearm make, model, calibre or action being sacrificed on the altar in order to smooth the road for another.

I am talking about centrefire handguns here - those that are already licensed - or at least were until Saturday night. Not hypothetically blue faced people in Garda Stations.

If persons got their licenses under false pretences (No Club, No Range Attendance, etc) in the past they have in essence not had a license so they are not of interest to me. They are not a relevant aspect of the discussion.

They were the chaff we always assumed would blow off in the wind and leave the wheat - trouble is, it's the wheat that is currently in the wind.

We have already seen what was done to the rimfire pistol sports with specific people, firearm makes, models, calibres and actions being put on a pedestal to the detriment of others.

That was done because there were competing voices, each lauding their own people, firearm makes, model, calibres and actions.
    Look what happened. A Disgrace.

It should not be allowed to happen to the centrefire handguns.

B'Man

once the minister said that those who already had their licences as of Nov.'08 could keep them and this pacified the pistol community ...

It only silenced the sheep. Anyone remember this: "Keep your heads down lads - you'll get to keep what you have"

there were plenty who fought tooth and nail until there was no recourse. All the time with the sheep snapping at their heels.

B'Man

Sparks wrote: »
    It's not about a "select few" B'man -- unless you define that select few as being the ones who don't stomp into a Garda station and demand a 9mm pistol as their right as an Irish citizen because all their mates have one and doesn't their taxes pay the Garda's wages and I WANT IT NOW OR I'LL HOLD MY BREATH UNTIL I TURN BLUE!!!!. You know what I mean?

Just in case any one thinks that i am demanding that i have a right to a pistol just because so'n so has one,not my case, I have no interest in them apart from curiosity

we are all supposed to be equal under the law wher you give one group of people entitlements over another you create inequality

i will not countenance a person, firearm make, model, calibre or action being sacrificed on the altar in order to smooth the road for another.
    Should that not be the royal 'we' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

just pick a few off at a time over the next few licencing terms and you'll all be gone:(

minister ahern wont have a job(as minister) over the next few terms and good rid of him and shame on him

minister ahern wont have a job(as minister) over the next few terms and good rid of him and shame on him

I doubt any new minister is going to repeal these new laws
    they would not want to be seen to be taken a step backwards ...remenber the media are anti gun as well and thats how they would view it the only way forward would be court action and then not have that court action overturned by further leglislation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

How do we (that's us all.....us all!!) fund possible court action(s) against licence refusals on apparent unacceptable grounds or is it coming to the situation that we may be "picked off one by one" until there's nobody left?? Eh, do we all stick together 'cause it seems to me we wouldn't stick together in a barrel of tar!!!

The best way is to take legal action. Sue your local superintendant who goes against the rules and refuses your licence off his own back, instead of going by legislation laid down for them to follow. This way he is then accountable in court for his actions and possibly will have to pay costs. By suing the Minister for justice it take so long and its the taxpayers who pay the costs so these guys dont care as it does not affect them directly, I have seen something like this done a while back where the super got a solicitors letter reference his stance on issuing firearms licences, he was not long changing his approach and attitude and promptly issued same.

I think many people are afraid to go to court for fear of the costs. The District Court is not like the High Court (which is where people had to go in the past - and only for judicial review) you can represent yourself there rather than get a barrister.

That's the other difference, you don't need a barrister in the DC, your solicitor is able to represent you if you need representation.

Remember that the District Court is where speeding fines, parking fines and other minor offences are tried. Mostly summary offences, family law and other non-jury offences and not much standing on ceremony.

More details here.

• Advertisement

Need to be careful about who is sitting in the court when they call out

Mr. R. RPC
    1 Main Street
    Townsville

Seeking a review of a refusal to renew his license for a <insert firearm in question>

Scobe behind you calls his mates, gives them the address and tells em you're not home.

B'Man

Advertisement