Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tripod?

• 01-11-2009 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I want to get a tripod soon and I don't really know where to go for one. I've been looking online but havent seen anything. I don't have a limit really I was thinking around the 100euro mark. I have a Canon 450D I don't if it's a case of one size fits all. I'd like something that turns all angles (I don't know how to explain it!), I got a loan of one that turns the camera up/down, left/right and turns 360degrees.

Anyone know of a website or shop that have decent tripods?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Muhozol

First of all don't buy any cheap stuff like chinese No Name, even Hama tripods are not great (Argos stock). It is usually the heavier the better depending on what you are going to shoot of course. You must also decide which head you prefer. 3D with 3 separately operated handles is ok for landscape and panoramas, ball head works faster for portrait shots when you want to tilt your camera to a certain angle. I own a Slik tripod ABLE PRO 300 DX and can recommend it to a beginner like myself. Of course you can try Manfrotto gear which is probably best on the market but most pricey too. Keep in mind that you need a tripod that suits you height so you don't have to bend too much.
    Any photographic shop in your town should have a range of quality tripods if not try ebay. Hope this helps a little. Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Best thing would be to go and get a look and feel of a few for height, weight and how they work, Tripods as I sure you have seen are not all the same.
    If you are heading back in to Dublin anytime soon check out the stock at Gunnes, Camera Exchange, Conn's and even Berminghams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I've owned a Chinese no-name brand for 5 euro - better than a rock but didn't "work with you" if you know what I mean ;)

Now I have a 330dx slik (2nd hand 50 euro) - is it 10x better? Almost (about 8.3x). It is more stable and more flexible and something I would recommend for beginners and advanced alike (as long as you're not putting 10kg of equipment on it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I was using a cheap Kodak tripod from argos for a good while. It worked OK for my old 400D with small-ish lenses like the EF-s 60mm
    As soon as I started to invest in higher grade glass and bigger zoom lenses I soon realised I needed to upgrade to a more sturdy tripod and one that would take a lot of abuse.
    I was afraid that I'd end up getting something that was too heavy and awkward to carry around all day long.

Best advice I can give you is to read a lot of reviews on both tripods & heads.

I got mine from www.warehouseexpress.com
    Tripod: Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod Black
    Head: Manfrotto 808RC4 Standard 3-Way Head
    Total cost £186.98

I'm so happy with this setup, my old Kodak tripod feels like it could fall over at any time & when you strap on the 5dmkii and a 24-70L, it really is not worth the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Hello again,

So I've been looking, what do you think of this Tripod from warehouseexpress for approx €105?

:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Manfrotto are one of the best. That comes with a head for that price and is a good buy. It is one of their lighter models but for a 450D & small to medium lens it will be fine.

The only thing I see wrong with the head is that it doesn't have a release plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

I got the slik Pro 400DX the other day in Camera Ex (Dame st) for 89€, great tripod for the price, sturdy plus it has foam around the legs, which might not mean much now but the other night, while out on a wee boards meet up, my hands weren't frozen from carry it around ! Unlike the others :D:D

Also you can upgrade the head for a better type which is why I went for it.

Note handles....

400DX

Slik%20PRO%20400%20DX.jpg

Vs

1033476_2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭petercox

Tripods are consistently the most underrated pieces of equipment. More than a lens or new camera, a good tripod will improve your photography.

I'd look at the Manfrotto 190XPROB as a minimum spec, with a 488RC4 ball head.

For more information, see my article on the subject.

Cheers,
    Peter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Jemmy, if you walk into Gunns or Conns camera shop in Dublin, they have plenty of Manfrotto and the likes for you to have look and feel. I got my 190PRO legs from Gunns.

If you need to decide which legs and head that suit your needs, this might be a good read - http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/tripods_and_heads.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I use a slik tripod - it is excellent and although much cheaper than Manfrotto it is comparable.

Great price and selection In Camera Exchange on George street.

Whilst I am a great supporter of internet shopping, a serious Tripod (unless you know the model you want is not something that should purchased in that way) - go to the Gunns & Camera Exchange - they are close enough to each other get advise and a feel for what you like.

Nothing stopping you taking the model numbers and hitting the internet after if you wish.

By the way I use a Slik Pro 700d - superb, solid tripod - cost €135 in Camera Exchange - same tripod €175 in Berminghams, couldn't find cheaper on the net - it is highly flexible, including ability to go virtually to ground level.

This forum is divided between Slik & Manfrotto in terms of preference!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

3 words - Manfrotto Manfrotto Manfrotto

Needs to be a little on the heavy side, at least try your gear on it with biggest lens etc to make sure its all stable. See my disaster thread here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055735214

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Thanks for all the advice, I think I'll just have to drop into one of the shops if and when I get a day off! I don't have any huge lenses yet but I do hope to expand on my gear so I want something decent that will do the job.

Having to buy another one a year down the line doesn't make sense. If it lasted a lifetime even better!

Thanks again everyone. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Cheap is not always bad.

I got one when I got my camera - thrown in after bartering - and it is so cheap it doesn't even have a brand name or model number.
    Has 2 extensions on the legs, extends upwards, spirit level, tilts to portrait, tilts up(or down depending on which way it is on the shoe) carrying handle and (crappy quality) bag.

And for the 2 years I have had it it has never fallen over and I constantly think it is the best bit of equipment I could have chosen on the day I got the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Yup - like my Chinese 5 euro tripod - not bad (I used it for 1.5 years)...but once you use the 50 euro tripod you see what you're missing. My equipment won't expand further than that so I don't need to spend more than 50 euro on a tripod that suits how I shoot.

The mark of a good tripod is not that it stays upright (although that helps).

A good tripod must be very stable or else you risk camera shake in your images. It must also be easy to use and relatively light (without sacrificing stability).

If you touch your camera with a finger while it's on the tripod and you see any movement in the viewfinder, the tripod is not stable.

Unfortunately, cheap almost always means unstable. You really need to spend a minimum of €150 or so before you start getting into 'good enough' territory.

If you're serious about your photography you should be looking to spend in the region of €400+ for a good carbon fibre model and head.

Mine is a Gitzo with a ReallyRightStuff ballhead and cost about €1200. I wouldn't consider anything else - it's expensive, but it'll last me for life. Nary a tremor out of it either.

Peter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

petercox wrote: »
    The mark of a good tripod is not that it stays upright (although that helps).

A good tripod must be very stable or else you risk camera shake in your images. It must also be easy to use and relatively light (without sacrificing stability).

If you touch your camera with a finger while it's on the tripod and you see any movement in the viewfinder, the tripod is not stable.

Unfortunately, cheap almost always means unstable. You really need to spend a minimum of €150 or so before you start getting into 'good enough' territory.

If you're serious about your photography you should be looking to spend in the region of €400+ for a good carbon fibre model and head.

Mine is a Gitzo with a ReallyRightStuff ballhead and cost about €1200. I wouldn't consider anything else - it's expensive, but it'll last me for life. Nary a tremor out of it either.

Peter

Although in fairness, although that extra €€€ for the carbon fiber gets you great advantages in terms of weight, they're probably about as solid as a €150/€200 aluminium tripod. Although, having carried my manfrotto through the wicklow mountains once or twice, it would have been money well spent. If nothing else, if my tripod weighed significantly less than it does I'd probably end up taking it out a lot more, making it MORE worthwhile :D

Low price.
    Low weight.
    Good stability.

You can have any 2 out of the three.

Although in fairness, although that extra €€€ for the carbon fiber gets you great advantages in terms of weight, they're probably about as solid as a €150/€200 aluminium tripod. Although, having carried my manfrotto through the wicklow mountains once or twice, it would have been money well spent. If nothing else, if my tripod weighed significantly less than it does I'd probably end up taking it out a lot more, making it MORE worthwhile :D

Low price.
    Low weight.
    Good stability.

You can have any 2 out of the three.

Yes, the tripod you leave at home is no use at all. Carbon fibre offers two advantages other than weight (which is significant in itself). The first is vibration - carbon fibre is much less susceptible to vibration than aluminium.

The second is temperature. On a cold morning nothing sucks more than your already cold hands touching the freezing legs of your aluminium tripod. Carbon fibre still gets cold - but not nearly as much.

Peter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

petercox wrote: »
    The second is temperature. On a cold morning nothing sucks more than your already cold hands touching the freezing legs of your aluminium tripod. Carbon fibre still gets cold - but not nearly as much.
    Peter

Good god yes that is true. Hence the leg warmers. Although I've never worked out why they only ever put it on two of the legs ?!? PUT IT ON ALL THREE LEGS DAMN YOU !
    I never figured that about CF tripods. Sounds like another plus all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

I bought a Slik Able 300dx recently and found it's perfectly suited to everything that I need it to do, the only downside is that it is quite heavy.

The centre column is reversible so you can get the camera right up to the ground if you want, the legs are easily adjustable and it is very sturdy. It was about €80 in berminghams.

I suppose it all comes down to how often you'll use it, what you'll use it for and how much you're willing to spend really.

Just one thing - don't buy a cheapish Hama tripod as they are very unstable and after having to catch it once when it was falling over I would not trust my camera on one again.

Advertisement