Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of taxing a ford mustang

Options
  • 01-11-2009 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Im thinking about getting a ford mustang, maybe a rousch 4.0l. Does anyone have an idea what the co2 emmissions are. Im thinking they fall into the dreaded band f, cant seem to find the definite info.......i know its an expensive car to run regardless but two grand a year on tax would be a bitch!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It'll be the max, around €1600 per year. Expect a serious hike in December's budget too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you try and find one that was registered here prior to 2008 then the tax will be on the old system which is €1300 p.a. afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 highjinx28

Confab wrote: »
    It'll be the max, around €1600 per year. Expect a serious hike in December's budget too.

Im not sure if thats a guess or not but thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

highjinx28 wrote: »
    Im not sure if thats a guess or not but thanks for your reply.

Thats assuming your talking 2nd hand pre 08 (It's €1566). If your buying new, it'll be co2 based and €2100

bazz26 wrote: »
    If you try and find one that was registered here prior to 2008 then the tax will be on the old system which is €1300 p.a. afaik.

Also an idea but still expensive as fuk. The car itself is fairly cheap second hand though goin by ebay prices so it could be done

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    Thats assuming your talking 2nd hand pre 08 (It's €1566). If your buying new, it'll be co2 based and €2100

these guys sell 05 upwards so might take a look there, thanks. They also convert to right hand drive which would be sweet. 8 grand mind
    gonna do a LOT more research first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

bazz26 wrote: »
    If you try and find one that was registered here anywhere prior to 2008 .....
    FYP

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Import one to the UK, you will avoid the crushing cost of VRT and the insane taxation here. Register and tax it over there and and use it over here, with it probably being a weekend car you'd be fine, same thing works for NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If you're resident in the UK, do the above. If you're resident in Ireland, you'll have to pay crushing VRT and insane tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

netwhizkid wrote: »
    Import one to the UK, you will avoid the crushing cost of VRT and the insane taxation here. Register and tax it over there and and use it over here, with it probably being a weekend car you'd be fine, same thing works for NI.

all of which is totally illegal.:confused:

• Advertisement

And suggesting illegal stuff is against the Charter...

€1566 to tax this yoke.......enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Or buy a classic Mustang and tax it for €48 per year. Vroom vroom :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

unkel wrote: »

Or get a diesel.

getmecoat.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

all of which is totally illegal.:confused:

I totally agree, the free movement of goods was actually the core principal the Coal and Steel Community which was founded in 1952 and later succeeded by the European Community and then European Union. Yet to this day our Government are acting in an illegal way by taxing a product (cars) imported from another country contrary to free market principals.

Also when a person pays motor tax in one EU state he does not have to pay it in all 27 yet still has freedom of movement across all 27 states. So indeed I totally agree with niceirishfella and -Chris- that the Irish Government are acting totally illegal and shafting their tax payers on this one.

I favour a flat rate of tax regardless of Co2 or Engine size where cars are taxed in two or three brackets with no tax higher than €600 per annum. I favour a €200 tax for smaller cars, a €400 tax for normal family cars, 7-seaters etc. and a a €600 tax for luxury cars, SUV's and performance cars. This is a far more equitable system and encourages people to pay tax aswell as giving value for money considering our third world roads in this country.

This government are doing to the Irish taxpayer what Haughey & co. did, you can only tax a population so much before tax avoidance becomes inevitable. Last time they tried screwing the population, half the people Emigrated and a quarter stopped working and the other quarter hid their money in the Cayman Islands in Ansbacher accounts etc.

Now, if the OP has everything taxed in the UK or Northern Ireland then what is to stop him taking "Occasional trips" to the Republic with his car to visit friends and relatives, there is nothing illegal about that. Nobody would use a Mustang here as a normal runaround and it is the sort of machine you gloat over in a heated garage and take out whenever you get a sunny day (rare).

-Chris- wrote: »
    And suggesting illegal stuff is against the Charter...
    -Chris- wrote: »
    If you're resident in the UK, do the above. If you're resident in Ireland, you'll have to pay crushing VRT and insane tax.
    <snip rant>

Now, if the OP has everything taxed in the UK or Northern Ireland then what is to stop him taking "Occasional trips" to the Republic with his car to visit friends and relatives, there is nothing illegal about that. Nobody would use a Mustang here as a normal runaround and it is the sort of machine you gloat over in a heated garage and take out whenever you get a sunny day (rare).

If he's resident in Ireland he needs to pay VRT and Irish motor tax. There is no abiguity with this.

Maybe I was a little "polite" with my posts above, let me clarify - if you suggest the OP evades tax once more, either explicitly or implicitly, I'll give you a week off.

I totally agree, the free movement of goods was actually the core principal the Coal and Steel Community which was founded in 1952 and later succeeded by the European Community and then European Union. Yet to this day our Government are acting in an illegal way by taxing a product (cars) imported from another country contrary to free market principals.

Also when a person pays motor tax in one EU state he does not have to pay it in all 27 yet still has freedom of movement across all 27 states. So indeed I totally agree with niceirishfella and -Chris- that the Irish Government are acting totally illegal and shafting their tax payers on this one.

I favour a flat rate of tax regardless of Co2 or Engine size where cars are taxed in two or three brackets with no tax higher than €600 per annum. I favour a €200 tax for smaller cars, a €400 tax for normal family cars, 7-seaters etc. and a a €600 tax for luxury cars, SUV's and performance cars. This is a far more equitable system and encourages people to pay tax aswell as giving value for money considering our third world roads in this country.

This government are doing to the Irish taxpayer what Haughey & co. did, you can only tax a population so much before tax avoidance becomes inevitable. Last time they tried screwing the population, half the people Emigrated and a quarter stopped working and the other quarter hid their money in the Cayman Islands in Ansbacher accounts etc.

good god, here we go again.............:P

unkel wrote: »

Of course i could do that but I really like the the new rousch and I'd also prefer a rhd conversion if possible. The government really do go out of their way to destroy the happiness of our nation... Its the superpowers that have caused global warming but of course us poor fools pay the price as usual...I wont have a penny left!

Advertisement