Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon Wildlife Lens

• 01-11-2009 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Have asked this question in a few places, and I'm looking for as much advice as possible. Basically, I'm looking for a lens that would suit wildlife photography*, but alas I'm on somewhat of a budget. I have been looking at the Nikkor 70-300mm AF-S VR f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, which, when using a money back voucher from Nikon themselves, I could have for under £400 sterling, or about €450. Reviews for this lens have been favourable, and the cash back thingy has almost persuaded me to go for it.

However, being a relative beginner, it's only right that I ask those in the know (ie you guys) if there are any alternatives in or around the same price? I did have someone tell me to get a second hand "Bigma" but I don't know too much about the Sigma lenses as regards quality etc? Are there any other lenses I should be considering?

All feedback, user experiences etc etc most welcome icon_smile.gif

*I know I'll probably need something longer than 300mm for birding, but that can wait.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

The Nikon 70-300VR is considered to be the best lens its class. I have one, and its one of my favorite lenses, really sharp, and the VR works great. But I don't think, its the ideal lens for wildlife photography, its simply a bit too short.

I have heard good things about the Sigma 150-500:

http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/399-155A/

its a good bit more expensive then the Nikon 70-300, but might be the better choice for wildlife photography.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

BTW, you can get the Nikon 70-300VR for 379 euro

http://www.cameranu.nl/artikel/4022/Nikkor_AF-S_VR_70-300_4.5-5.6G_IF-ED_Zoom.html

The dealer is based in Holland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I have the sigma 150-500 lens and It is a great lens for the money.
    Took this with it.

3500494304_fa8310c841.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a friend has the sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 (i think) APO - cost around 200 quid for the model with the motor (as it's being used on a D40). she's very happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Cheers for the feedback guys - I'll look into that Sigma :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement