Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRA in Dublin?

Options
  • 02-11-2009 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

My friend said he was in a pub in the city centre during the summer and he was messing about but these 2 40/50 somethings were staring at him.
    An old man later whispered to him they were 'IRA men' and he got out of there fairly fast. He's a pretty loudmouth fella when hes drunk.
    He was worried that he had told them who he was/where he lived and that they might come after him or something..

Anybody ever experienced this sort of trouble in the city? Are these people that common around Dublin city centre?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well its now November and your friend ain't been fished out of the Dodder so he's probably okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,433 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

ffege wrote: »
    My friend said he was in a pub in the city centre during the summer and he was messing about but these 2 40/50 somethings were staring at him.
    An old man later whispered to him they were 'IRA men' and he got out of there fairly fast. He's a pretty loudmouth fella when hes drunk.
    He was worried that he had told them who he was/where he lived and that they might come after him or something..

Anybody ever experienced this sort of trouble in the city? Are these people that common around Dublin city centre?

Scumbags though they are, the IRA tend to come after you only if you're gone something severly pro-british or are a junkie. That said, my money's on the old fella winding you(r mate) up.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ffege

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Scumbags though they are, the IRA tend to come after you only if you're gone something severly pro-british or are a junkie. That said, my money's on the old fella winding you(r mate) up.
    He is Brittish, but only about 19 years old
    And he also quite loud after a few, as i said before :pac:
    I dont really know if he said anything about the politics though,i just wanted to get the jist of what to expect when i go to Dublin..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

The old fellah was probably trying to get a reaction out of him, or trying to get him to shut up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

If your in the IRA you don't go around mouthing about it so I think it was a wind up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

Lol if they wanted to give him a beating they wouldn't have let him leave the pub. Two possibilities either you are taking the piss with this post, or the barman was taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

He is Brittish, but only about 19 years old
    And he also quite loud after a few, as i said before :pac:
    I dont really know if he said anything about the politics though,i just wanted to get the jist of what to expect when i go to Dublin..

Are u for real?
    sounds like there is something seriously wrong with you?
    like 0% cop on.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    The old fellah was probably trying to get a reaction out of him, or trying to get him to shut up.
    BVB wrote: »
    If your in the IRA you don't go around mouthing about it so I think it was a wind up
    Rondolfus wrote: »
    Lol if they wanted to give him a beating they wouldn't have let him leave the pub. Two possibilities either you are taking the piss with this post, or the barman was taking the piss.
    So from ye're reactions im guessing this isnt that common??
    No chance they were all regulars and knew they were in the IRA?

TirNaNog. wrote: »
    Are u for real?
    sounds like there is something seriously wrong with you?
    like 0% cop on.
    why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

So from ye're reactions im guessing this isnt that common??
    No chance they were all regulars and knew they were in the IRA?

Wake up,obviously the 2 aul fellas were taking the piss,even if they were in the IRA they are hardly going to go after him for nothing.... but I think they are after you because you sound out of your head on crack...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

the way the IRA is Set up, is that each member might only know 3-4 members.

People who mouth off saying they were in the IRA or the "ra" are talking ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

It can be common.

All you need to know is to not start or get involved in fights and you'll be grand.

TirNaNog. wrote: »
    they are hardly going to go after him for nothing
    i wasnt sure i have just heard that theyre is a good few killings 'linked' to them around the place...didnt know what you have to do to deserve a bullet, i wouldnt have even thought twice about it if he wasnt a brit, some people take that stuff seriously
    I heard its usually drug dealers they target nowadays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 eire77

as far as i'm aware...members of "the RA" dont go around broadcasting their membership in bars!!
    probably just a piss take

eire77 wrote: »
    as far as i'm aware...members of "the RA" dont go around broadcasting their membership in bars!!
    probably just a piss take
    i know, thats common sense
    it wasnt the men themselves that said anything, it was some old man and sometimes when rumors go around like that and certain locals will have reputations, some might tend to be true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Well in the event this is true, He might have got a few slaps at most. hes not gonna be murdered for being a drunken loudmouth in a bar.

The few slaps will have served as a lesson not to be such a loud mouth in future. :)

Masada wrote: »
    Well in the event this is true, He might have got a few slaps at most. hes not gonna be murdered for being a drunken loudmouth in a bar.
    I thought it was possible to be murdered by the ra for being a drunken british loudmouth if you said the wrong stuff:confused:He could've come across as a proper eejit
    Masada wrote: »
    The few slaps will have served as a lesson not to be such a loud mouth in future. :)
    Ive been on the verge of giving him a whack once or twice..:rolleyes:
    Sound buck though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 eire77

I thought it was possible to be murdered by the ra for being a drunken british loudmouth if you said the wrong stuff:confused:He could've come across as a proper eejit

Ive been on the verge of giving him a whack once or twice..:rolleyes:
    Sound buck though!
    sure didn't something like that happen in a bar up in Belfast a few years back??

eire77 wrote: »
    sure didn't something like that happen in a bar up in Belfast a few years back??
    Wouldnt surprise me, though it could be more likely in Belfast than Dublin aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭spartan1

this is ridiculous...........the group your referring to generally wouldnt waste their time with a drunken 19yr old in a pub.......I would imagine, this thread seems to be a windup......a loudmouth in a pub generally would get a slap anyway, just cos Ireland has a history doesnt mean people are taking bullets, I can believe im entertaining this...shame on me ptha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

koHd wrote: »
    It can be common.

All you need to know is to not start or get involved in fights and you'll be grand.

Good advice in general. People who are "loud" or giddy after a few drinks need to moderate themselves cos they're often the ones who provoke fights by winding up those more likely to roll up the sleeves.

sdonn wrote: »
    Good advice in general. People who are "loud" or giddy after a few drinks need to moderate themselves cos they're often the ones who provoke fights by winding up those more likely to roll up the sleeves.
    here here
    It can happen quite a bit and drink can completely change peoples personalities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Well they wouldn't attack someone just for being British and they'd say if they were provo, stick or real IRA, i doubt they'd just in the RA

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement