Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Build?

Options
  • 02-11-2009 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭

What do you think of this? I don't use the pc for anything too intensive but I would like a decent pc. I use it for a little bit of Photoshopping, Football Manager, Dreamweaver but mostly for browsing/downloading.

I want to update it with a video card at a later date but for now this is all I need.
    4tpybq.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Initial Thoughts:

OMFG IT'S NOT i5 HERESY RABBLE RABBLE!

Ok, now that's out the way, I can tell you you want to spring for a Tri Core at minimum and that Motherboard is Far too expensive if you are not gonna overclock. If Money is a concern, get a new AM3 CPU but a AM2+ Motherboard with DDR2 memory. The AM3's fit in the AM2+ and it's cheaper. However, I will leave it to someone else to say what combo to get as I am not that up to date on AMD chipsets etc.

Also, check out ebuyer.com. They have excellent prices and are in the UK, so lower shipping cost/easier to refund if something breaks.

Also, Antec cases suck :P

Also, you are missing Hard Drives, a DVD Drive and the other peripherals, unless you have them already...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    Initial Thoughts:

OMFG IT'S NOT i5 HERESY RABBLE RABBLE!

Ok, now that's out the way, I can tell you you want to spring for a Tri Core at minimum and that Motherboard is Far too expensive if you are not gonna overclock. If Money is a concern, get a new AM3 CPU but a AM2+ Motherboard with DDR2 memory. The AM3's fit in the AM2+ and it's cheaper. However, I will leave it to someone else to say what combo to get as I am not that up to date on AMD chipsets etc.

Also, check out ebuyer.com. They have excellent prices and are in the UK, so lower shipping cost/easier to refund if something breaks.

Also, Antec cases suck :P

Also, you are missing Hard Drives, a DVD Drive and the other peripherals, unless you have them already...

But AM3 has a DDR3 controller right ?

In any case,you want something with the 790FX/SB750 chipset.Thats the way to go :)

UD5R,I agree,is WAY to expensive go with a cheaper board with some less overclocking features and fancy heatsinks (The ones on the UD series are a PITA anyway...) and you should be able to save a few quid.

Get a modular power supply,in a case as small as the A300 you will want as little ''cable clutter as possible''

And finally onto the case,I'm not a huge fan of the A300 but Antec do make worse cases (Read : The A900/1200)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Deano12345 wrote: »
    But AM3 has a DDR3 controller right ?
    AM3 is fancy, it has both :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Can any of you suggest a build, working downwards pricewise? I'll be using the HDD, disc drives, monitor and keyboard/mouse from my current pc for now to keep the costs down.

I dont have the time at the mo to pu a build together at the moment,but check out Asus' M4A79 series of boards,solid motherboard at a good price,even cheaper are some of MSI's offerings.If your not overclocking,their is no need to spend more than €100 on a board

Pay the extra €10 and get the HX450,the modular version of the VX,its worth the extra money.

Look into a Coolermaster CM690 for your case instead of the A300 ,its a bit more expensive than the A300 (about €70 IIRC) but its well worth the extra.I recommend it for all the budget builds

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

We all agree the Gigabyte is overkill, then start recommending M4A79s for a budget build?! lol.gif

Unless you're into OCing I'd get the X3-435 instead. Nearly as fast and you have the third core to help play with those nasty Massively Multithreaded thingies :D Stick it on a newish 770 AM2 mobo, or the lil' ol' MSI 770-C45 if you don't mind paying the small premium for DDR3. No point on blowing an extra €50 for a 790X if you're not going CrossFire or using RAID5! :p

Bear in mind that Photoshop (CS4 in particular) gives Phenom/Athlon2s indigestion. If its a major requirement you'll probably have to go the C2D route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Pay the extra €10 and get the HX450,the modular version of the VX,its worth the extra money.

meh...
    and hardwareversand.de aren't doing it right now anyway!

Also may i add wtf is it with everyone attacking Antec cases? They're great :cool:

I can literally stand on my 300, throw it out the window then jump onto it from the window and the case and everything inside it would still be fine!

Offers great cooling and it can take a 5870! what more room do you need?
    But fair enough it's only cable management is a place to stuff all your unwanted cables... It's still great though And none better for less than 50euro!!!

Op that windows 7 in un German

Solitaire wrote: »
    We all agree the Gigabyte is overkill, then start recommending M4A79s for a budget build?! lol.gif

Unless you're into OCing I'd get the X3-435 instead. Nearly as fast and you have the third core to help play with those nasty Massively Multithreaded thingies :D Stick it on a newish 770 AM2 mobo, or the lil' ol' MSI 770-C45 if you don't mind paying the small premium for DDR3. No point on blowing an extra €50 for a 790X if you're not going CrossFire or using RAID5! :p

Bear in mind that Photoshop (CS4 in particular) gives Phenom/Athlon2s indigestion. If its a major requirement you'll probably have to go the C2D route.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=490260

Thats not that expensive

X3-435..never heard of that one,but my AMD knowledge is rubbish lol

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Oh, the crippled version. I thought you were talking about the Pro, or whatever the €130+ one is called. Still overkill when a ~€60 mobo will fit nicely :P
    X3-435..never heard of that one,but my AMD knowledge is rubbish lol

Not surprised, its only just come out a few days back. 2.9GHz triple-core Athlon2 going for ~€70. Nice.

Advertisement