Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour TD hits out at Unions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I wonder if he accepted any political donations from Siptu?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Thats an interesting break from the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

I wonder if he accepted any political donations from Siptu?

He is a member :rolleyes:.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion whether a politician or trade union member. I'm sure there are many other Siptu members who disagree with the Unions approach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Knowing what might go down in the next month or two, the questions is - is he genuine in what he says or is he just trying to appease the voters in his local community that put him in the position he is in?
    He's not the first politician to try to keep on side the local voters while still supporting a party line that believes a different ideology.

For the moment I have an open mind till someone shows me one way or another, by further action, word or deed where he will finally sit on either side of the fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Personal opinion ,so he said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭potlatch

Interesting, but it isn't new. Ruarai Quinn proposed this a year or two ago and it was debated at the last conference. It's also little-known outside core Labour supporters/members, IIRC, that its relationship with TUs has weakened over the past years. This is partly to do with winning middle-class votes.

Though, as much as I support TUs, they have a lot to answer for as much as the Government does. In so many areas, TUs have held back important changes - I feel they've concentrated too much on keeping things the same (or demanding more money for change) at the expense of maintining their solidarity with society as a whole. Dublin's chronic absence of an integrated ticketing system is one example. So TUs need to modernise, but they have their own internal struggles where, I'm sure, some are proposing change but they're silenced.

As much as the injustice of the crisis is apalling, and the inevitable burden loaded primarily on lower-paid workers an obscenity, TUs calling for higher wages at a time like this is simply wrong. Lefties know what this dynamic is all about, but this isn't going to avoid the problem. It won't solve the problem, though. There'll be another crisis in time.

His sister is a SIPTU officer, by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

a very brave move by deputy sherlock , breaking ranks with his party at a time when they have moved for much closer links with the unions since gilmore took over as leader , saw him on the week in politics last night , he seemed genuine , this is very different to that fianna fail guy in wicklow breaking ranks over wealthy pensioners and medical cards , this isnt cynical opportunism , he said he couldnt in conscience support strikes at a time when so many are unemployed , a decent man

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

irish_bob wrote: »
    a very brave move by deputy Sherlock... he seemed genuine... this is very different to that Fianna fail guy in Wicklow breaking ranks over wealthy pensioners and medical cards, this isn't cynical opportunism, he said he couldn't in conscience support strikes at a time when so many are unemployed, a decent man

Yes, he seems that way. Maybe there is hope for the future yet!
    Time will tell... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

a very brave move by deputy sherlock , breaking ranks with his party at a time when they have moved for much closer links with the unions since gilmore took over as leader , saw him on the week in politics last night , he seemed genuine , this is very different to that fianna fail guy in wicklow breaking ranks over wealthy pensioners and medical cards , this isnt cynical opportunism , he said he couldnt in conscience support strikes at a time when so many are unemployed , a decent man

Tbh I would like to think that his views are shared by a good number within the party. I know several people who are opposed to them and with good reason( a couple of PS workers too).It will be interesting to see what reaction this gets within the party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    Tbh I would like to think that his views are shared by a good number within the party. I know several people who are opposed to them and with good reason( a couple of PS workers too).It will be interesting to see what reaction this gets within the party.

judging by the reaction over at politics.ie , his views are completley at odds with the party , they are certainly at odds with eamon gilmore who has said thier should be no further ps pay cuts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭optocynic

judging by the reaction over at politics.ie , his views are completley at odds with the party , they are certainly at odds with eamon gilmore who has said thier should be no further ps pay cuts

Of course mouthpiece-Gilmore said that...

Do you not remember the Kim-Jong-Il-ish poster of him on the SIPTU building..?

It was creepy!.. A champagne socilaist overlord... *shudder*!!

I want to know how Gilmore manages to appear in public without the strings (controlled by O'Connor and Beggs) appearing!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

He just sounds sore that the Trade Unions flirted with bertie instead of Labour. Trade unions members pay a political levy to the Labour Party, wonder if he want's to see that gone and all? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

Bambi wrote: »
    He just sounds sore that the Trade Unions flirted with bertie instead of Labour. Trade unions members pay a political levy to the Labour Party, wonder if he want's to see that gone and all? :)

Pardon my ignorance, why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Apogee

On "The Week in Politics" last night he also proposed capping all public service wages, including hospital consultants and departmental gen. secretaries, at €200,000. He is the first politician to make such a suggestion AFAIK.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1059037
    26 minutes in.

Apogee wrote: »
    On "The Week in Politics" last night he also proposed capping all public service wages, including hospital consultants and departmental gen. secretaries, at €200,000. He is the first politician to make such a suggestion AFAIK.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1059037
    26 minutes in.

This has been talked about extensively within Labour. Its not a new idea buts its not a bad one.

This has been talked about extensively within Labour. Its not a new idea buts its not a bad one.

It's one thing to talk about it behind closed doors. It's a completely different thing to state it in public and risk frightening the horses.

So is the capping of all public service salaries at €200k now Labour Party policy?

Apogee wrote: »
    It's one thing to talk about it behind closed doors. It's a completely different thing to state it in public and risk frightening the horses.

So is the capping of all public service salaries at €200k now Labour Party policy?

Joan Burton said it. Im not sure where but I know she has stated it publically. I dont think its official policy but its heading in that direction alright

Joan Burton said it. Im not sure where but I know she has stated it publically. I dont think its official policy but its heading in that direction alright

Found it here. It's not going to make much of an impact on the state of the exchequer, but at least it's a nod towards equitability. Personally, I'd have gone for a €150k cap, but €200k is a start.

Advertisement