Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuvi 760 Successor and Apartment/Industrial Estate POI's?

Options
  • 02-11-2009 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I'm looking to get a second GPS. I have a Garmin Nuvi 760 at the moment and it's fine. I'd even be happy with another but it doesn't seem available anymore except through Ebay and the likes. I require all functions that Nuvi 760 has, any more is a bonus. Pricewise, I don't want to spend more than I would on a 760, but if I can get a better one for the same price as a 760, so be it :)

Would need to be Garmin and use same maps, mapsource, favourites, POI system etc as the 760.

I'm also wondering does anyone know where I could get free POI's, apartment complexes and industrial estates in particular for Garmin? I had a look at mypois.ie but a lot of the apartment complexes I put in didn't come up on the map they have on the site.

Any feedback on the above would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

The Nuvi 760 features are fairly standard now with a mid-level Sat Nav.
    Bluethooth, FM transmitter, MP3, Picture Viewer, etc.
    The only extra feature that you may be interested in is Lane Assist, which is good, but still a bit limited in Ireland.

The Nuvi 765T is available, new, on Amazon UK, for £180 plus delivery.
    Blurb "The new 7x5T models are the first Garmin models to feature lane assistance, accelerated map-drawing and routing capabilities, and 3-D transparent view of buildings when driving in cities."

As for apartments and industrial estates - I created a few POIs for myself using Google Maps. Bit of a pain, but accurate. I'm without a car Sat Nav atm, and I'm considering a 765T myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the reply :)

Another feature I'd use is traffic management that the 760 has. I guess this is on the 765 too? I saw in the other thread you mentioned the 8XX because it had custom avoidances. This could be quite handy if I knew a road was closed, snowed under, or was going to be chocca block because a match or something. I wonder can you avoid a "block" of an area or would you have to click each individual road in the area to avoid that area?

With regard the industrial estates and apartments, how many of each do you reckon you have? :)

I have never used traffic management, sorry.

Here's the Garmin compare screen, if that helps.

As far as I remember, you have to block each road seperately.

That's handy, thanks :)

It'd be a bit of a pain if you have to select each individual road in an area alright.

I thought there used to be a Garmin 760 device without maps? 710 or something like that? That it's basically the 760, but without the maps. Doesn't appear to be on the Garmin site anymore though :confused: Actually, just checked again and it's there, but comparing to the 760, it's missing things like spoken street names, speed limit indicator etc. I thought it was possible to get cheaper versions, with say just Ire/UK maps rather than the whole of Europe though..

You might be better off looking at the TomTom range. They tend to be a bit more user friendly, with extra options.

Can't help you there though, I don't have a TomTom anymore.

• Advertisement

No prob :) Thanks very much for the help so far. Definitely want to stick to Garmin as I'll want the two to be the same, map/search wise etc :)

I've read some bad reviews about some bug in the 765 and that compared to the 760, it's really just the lane assist and 3d buildings you're paying extra for, which as you say aren't really that compatible in Ireland anyway!

Ended up getting another 760 on Ebay for £110 delivered "buy it now". A 765 would have cost me another 100 quid or so, didn't think the extras were worth nearly double the price. Thanks again for the advice, I was just wondering, how extensive is your industrial park/apartment block list and is yours the only one you know of or do you know of any with the majority of complexes in Ireland listed? :)

The 760 is a great sat nav, as you already know, so good decision.
    The POIs I made up where only a few places, close to me, that I made up for other people. Not a big list. I'd recommend having a look at Sharkmans' POI sticky, at the top of this forum. Have a read through the thread and you'll find loads of places to find POIs, specifically for Ireland. Bound to be some in there that'll suit you.

:)

Thanks again :)

One last thing I wanted to ask was this MSN thingy, I didn't know before, but I see the 760 can get an MSN receiver update thingy which apparantly gives live fuel prices and traffic news. Do you know if it works well in Ireland at all and where to get the add on? I looked but didn't get too far with info on Ireland :o

Advertisement