Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train to Dublin from Navan

Options
  • 02-11-2009 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Anyone know when this is due to open?

I know the Dunboyne train will be operation next year at some stage.

Also, will the Navan Train Station be next to the Meath County Council Offices?

What will the route be? (Navan-Dunboyne? or Navan-Kilmessan-Dunboyne).

How long do you think it will it take to get from Navan to Connolly when it is up and running.

I am looking at buying a house in Navan...based on it being possible to commute to Dublin using the train.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

I'd say you will be waiting a good few years, I certainly wouldn't buy a house in Navan based on the hope that a train station may be operational any time soon. Poor Navan doesn't even have a bus station, let alone a definite timeframe for a train station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Wait a minute, At the last election, Noel Dempsey stood on my doorstep and told me the train would be up and running by 2010.
    You mean he lied to me???

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fanai

uoluol wrote: »
    I'd say you will be waiting a good few years, I certainly wouldn't buy a house in Navan based on the hope that a train station may be operational any time soon. Poor Navan doesn't even have a bus station, let alone a definite timeframe for a train station.

It's a shame that the Kennedy Road area was not used for a Bus Terminal with underground Parking...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭donmaga1

The train has been promised for over 20 years. It is going to happen. God only knows when.
    spadder Noal stood on your door step!!! You are lucky. Didnt know he knew the way out side trim and the dail. His driver must have told him Navan was important to him.
    I would not trust Noal if my life depended on it. I dont know anyone that has ever voted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

http://www.transport21.ie/Projects/Heavy_Rail/Navan_Rail_Line.html

2015 for those too lazy to check the link.

With the completion of most of the planned major roads and nothing new being started I'd expect this to get priority in terms of funding. Just my opinion though. I'm waiting for the budget Wednesday to see if the plug is pulled on the Metro North. If so, then I wouldn't hold my breath on the 2015 target.

• Advertisement

Jizzer wrote: »
    Anyone know when this is due to open?

What will the route be? (Navan-Dunboyne? or Navan-Kilmessan-Dunboyne).

Both route options go through Kilmessan.

http://www.transport21.ie/Projects/Heavy_Rail/Navan_Rail_Line.html

I'm waiting for the budget Wednesday to see if the plug is pulled on the Metro North. If so, then I wouldn't hold my breath on the 2015 target.

:rolleyes:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/budget/the-measures/no-new-rail-projects-until-finances-get-back-on-track-1968102.html

Well at least the Metro is going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

They've been promising this for ages. God only knows if they will actually do it now or not. 2015 is way too far away and is unacceptable by any stretch of the imagination. This should have been done by now. It just shows what sort of a country we live in. Imho the new road they are building with 3 tolls on it should have been posponed till they got the railway running. It's the only way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭782378

Reported on the front page of the Irish Times today that the Dublin To Navan Rail line is to be put on hold.

Looks like the upgrading of Rail line to Navan will never go ahead at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Fianna Fail are a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭gipi

The conspiracy theorists will say that the main reason the rail line has been put on the extremely long finger is so that commuters will use the new M3 tolls.....because if the toll-road revenue falls short of target, the government have guaranteed to pay the shortfall......

It's in the government's interest to keep the trains away and force people into their cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Curiously the park and ride facility at Pace is south of the toll booth gipi, could they be trying to get the toll and train fare out of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

It looks like this is going ahead. They say it will now be completed by 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

I see the point of trying to get revenue up on the M3. The alternative route Drogheda-Navan is still available and can be brought up to commuter standard. With the city centre resignalling project to be completed in 2012 to allow more capacity on the Northern line can give availability to provide services to Navan. The proposed route via Clonsilla beyond Dunboyne is relatively rural and may not be a significan return to the exchequer. I welcome the line via Clonsilla but with the rate of emigration to increase the government will be crushed if the line becomes a white elephant line Anglo. The capital investment was 550 million alot of money to sign off on a line that is competing with a dualcarriageway with high level of capacity for years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Wake up, Sheeple of Meath, this was never going to happen!

Show Noel and Johnnie the door at the next general election, they only care about stag-hunting property developers, ranchers and barristers......

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055330014&highlight=cannistown&page=7

Advertisement