Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy agar?

Options
  • 02-11-2009 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi everyone

I am having a dinner party on Saturday and one of my friends is vegetarian so I need agar instead of gelatine for my cheesecake. Where can I buy this?

Comments

I know that you can definitly get it in Healthfood shops.
    Btw you rawk as a friend! Most people wouldn't think of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mrsmaths

Awww thanks moonbaby :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Yeah, I've deffo seen it in Nourish on Wicklow street in town. Most health food stores should have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mrsmaths

Brilliant thank you! Good to have an exact place to go for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Orby

Agar flakes - Clearspring brand from any healthfood shops
    All asian stores do it in bar form - same as flakes just slightly different prep
    Agar powder - I've only ever seen in Asian supermarket on drury street- use 1Tbs of this for 3Tbs of agar flakes hth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Muffin top

mrsmaths wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I am having a dinner party on Saturday and one of my friends is vegetarian so I need agar instead of gelatine for my cheesecake. Where can I buy this?

Fallon and Byrne sell it too, tried to make my own jelly with it........disaster! Carrageen is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Also, the Food Co-Op, in Newmarket, Dublin 8. The Clearspring box. They have Carrageen and Kudzu too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Asian shops as mentioned usually have flakes. I got mine powdered online from a microbiology supply store, it is cheap and good quality, but the shop is since closed I think. You can get it on ebay cheap enough I think. It is used in petri dishes for growing bacteria.

Advertisement