Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Winter Coat

• 02-11-2009 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

That time of year again where we have fork out our hard earned money on a winter coat. I badly need one but refuse to spend unless i find the perfect one! this year I think I want a kinda Camel coloured one as all my others are black...has anybody seen any nice ones about?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

French connection do gorgeous coats. Not the cheapest but they're really good quality.
    Can't see the attraction of camel coloured coats myself, I associate them with old ladies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

I refuse upon refuse to buy a coat without a hood. We live in Ireland, it rains ALL the time, its blustery and windy. You cant always have an umbrella with you. Has anyone seen any nice hooded winter coats? Or hooded coats in general? They all seem to have no hoods or be absolutley awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MissFitz

I refuse upon refuse to buy a coat without a hood. We live in Ireland, it rains ALL the time, its blustery and windy. You cant always have an umbrella with you. Has anyone seen any nice hooded winter coats? Or hooded coats in general? They all seem to have no hoods or be absolutley awful

Topshot have some nice jackets with hoods, I've also seen some coats with hoods in Awear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Not really a fan of hooded coats myself, think they look a bit 'little girl'-ish! I prefer to wear a hat.

eeeew, hat hair. TBH i dont really care what i look like waiting at the bustop etc, but hoods offer a lot more shelter than hats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I got a lovely pink one in River Island. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

Anybody out there being a bit careful with the cash and just making do with the coat from last year?? Or is it just me...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I saw a lovely camel coloured coat in Zara last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭piscean

I got a lovely cerise coat in A Wear but I am gonna change the buttons on last years black coat to update it and get more wear out of it - just need to find a funky button place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭dontcallmecrazy

fifomania wrote: »
    Anybody out there being a bit careful with the cash and just making do with the coat from last year?? Or is it just me...:rolleyes:

YES! It's hard though, I really want a new coat as it's kind of consolation for having to suffer winter, but I refuse to spend money on one I dont absolutley love because at the end of the day my coat from last year still does the trick.

• Advertisement

I've yet to buy a truly decent one so I'm allowing na investment this year. Won't buy unless its perfect.

It seems almost EVERYTHING with a hood is a duffel or a parka, I want something a little more tailored that doesnt make me look like a 14 year old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 TinaSparkle

I saw some really nice coats in Tesco - starting from 30 euro. Great colours - bright pink, bright blue and a purple one with bell sleeves and a belt. Im not looking for a coat at the moment - last years will do me - but I was very tempted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

I've yet to buy a truly decent one so I'm allowing na investment this year. Won't buy unless its perfect.

It seems almost EVERYTHING with a hood is a duffel or a parka, I want something a little more tailored that doesnt make me look like a 14 year old
    I bought a kind of creamy coloured coat in Next, after falling in love with it online. It is by far the cosiest coat I have ever worn and in my opinion very stylist. It is well lined and has a fur trim at the top. Sorry I can't provide a link because I'm on my phone but it's in the winter collection, is priced at ?77 and is creamy in colour. Check it out on nextdirectory.ie Love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭jenny2hat

Getting something like this for winter, I think.
    black%20hooded%20duffle%20coat.jpg
    Thats £65 plus £4 shipping if I can't find it in Dorothy Perkins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I've that coat in pink!

There's lots of nice coats about. Too many - and I've already bought my two. Dam it. :o

755-543-G45s.jpg

Got link! Love this coat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭zoey

jenny2hat wrote: »
    Getting something like this for winter, I think.
    black%20hooded%20duffle%20coat.jpg
    Thats £65 plus £4 shipping if I can't find it in Dorothy Perkins.

Got one exactly like that in Pennys last year for e30-35 I think. Got it stolen one night I was out though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

icescreamqueen wheres that coat?? Its gorgeous :D

icescreamqueen wheres that coat?? Its gorgeous :D

I bought it in Next last week for 77e. It's so cosy and warm. It was so cold outside today but I felt like I was in Jamaica in that coat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I bought it in Next last week for 77e. It's so cosy and warm. It was so cold outside today but I felt like I was in Jamaica in that coat!

I live so close to work and never usually wear a jacket but I think I might just have to invest in this :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭sogg

eth0_ wrote: »
    Not really a fan of hooded coats myself, think they look a bit 'little girl'-ish! I prefer to wear a hat.

would totally agree - make me feel like a small child! wear a snood instead!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Got a black knee-length one in Warehouse about 6 weeks ago, sorry dunno how to post pic. Lovely, zips down each side and big furry hood. Also using last year's 40E black coat from Motion Picture but have got green buttons to put on it (the old ones all fell off anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I didn't buy any last year, so I didn't mind buying this year.

Any coat I buy has be knee-length (as I wear skirts/suits a lot) and has to go over suits and/or jumpers. I prefer wool, but not in black, and I like belts.

This year I was on the lookout and found a red Tommy Hilfiger wool coat on sale in TK Maxx for E140 (reduced from approx E400). Given that I was prepared to spend about E400 anyway on a coat, I was delighted with this. It's a great coat and should last me several years.

I then went and bought two pairs of red leather gloves in Penney's to accessorise :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

There's a camel coloured coat in Savida and Dunnes for €50. Can't link to it..it's the 'double layer coat' on the Dunnes website- Savida- Coats.

I splashed out and bought a beautiful cobalt coloured coat from Victoria's Secret. It's such good quality and the cut is really good, kind of statement or something. Working out at about €170..not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭dontcallmecrazy

Ooh I like the Savida/Dunnes ones - I wonder how cosy they would be though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Debenahm's own collection ladies, seriously I got my winter coat there this year and it's the nicest coat I've ever had. It's black and grey with purple through it, kind of a dogtooth pattern, and has a belt on it and the best part is that it's lined with purple satin. It was 120e when I got it, reduced from 160 I think, and there were about 5 other coats I would have bought if I'd had the money.

zoey wrote: »
    Got one exactly like that in Pennys last year for e30-35 I think. Got it stolen one night I was out though

Was in Penneys today and looked around to see if I could find anything similar. Nothing at all though ):

I have that black one from penneys, the dye rubs off onto white tops though.

They do have similar ones in black and grey. Had them in henry st and oconnel st the other day

I have that black one from penneys, the dye rubs off onto white tops though.

They do have similar ones in black and grey. Had them in henry st and oconnel st the other day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Penneys have one mega similar to the Dorothy Perkins one posted on the firt page for 40e..
    Has a hood but definately doesnt look little girly,is quite casual though. Really comfy/warm with good lining. Bought it in blue today and love it, comes in black and khaki as well.

Have a beautiful black winter coat from last year but its huge on me now, even with layering so had to buy new :( Penneys made it a lot less painful than it could have been.

Also, sidenote, the quality on this one is ten times better than the one I bought last year in Vera Moda! The buttons dont fall off when you so much as look at them!

Azureus wrote: »
    Penneys have one mega similar to the Dorothy Perkins one posted on the firt page for 40e..
    Has a hood but definately doesnt look little girly,is quite casual though. Really comfy/warm with good lining. Bought it in blue today and love it, comes in black and khaki as well.

Thanks, will definitely have a better root in Penneys:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

fifomania wrote: »

I've actually resurrected one from about 7 years ago (knee-length hooded black coat), I've finally lost enough weight to fit into stuff I had at 18! Really can't afford a good new coat, though I'd love a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Bought this hooded coat from Dunnes recently, it's quite heavy and warm, and has a lovely shape. The hood is really handy for Irish weather too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

LOVE that coat Dolorous!

Think I might just have to go and buy it!! All my other winter coats are 3sizes too big!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I saw a girl in the most gorgeous winter coat the other day. It was grey and a similar style to the ones being sold in dunnes etc but it had a train at the back down to about her mid calf, it looked fricking amazing! Want it so bad but I bet it cost a bomb and I've no idea where she got it :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭thatone!

I got a lovely one the other day in Dunnes. It's cream and just above the knee length. It was 50e.
    I love it! It's so warm and cosy and it was exactly what I was looking for. :)

http://www.dunnesstores.ie/fashion.php?id=women&secId=308

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

anyone know where i could get a coat like this?

don't mind the douche that's in the coat, it's such a nice looking coat imo.

Twilight-Edward-Cullen-wool-Coat-Costume.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Jwacqui wrote: »
    LOVE that coat Dolorous!

Think I might just have to go and buy it!! All my other winter coats are 3sizes too big!! :D

Go on, you know you want to! They have it in pink as well ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

I saw a girl in the most gorgeous winter coat the other day. It was grey and a similar style to the ones being sold in dunnes etc but it had a train at the back down to about her mid calf, it looked fricking amazing! Want it so bad but I bet it cost a bomb and I've no idea where she got it :(

Sounds veryyy like one I saw in the window of awear on grafton street today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Dolorous wrote: »
    I got the pink one! I completely love it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Dolorous wrote: »

You are a bad influence!!
    I got the pink one! Only had the blue in a size too big or too small!
    I am in love with it! It fits perfectly!! I don't think I have ever fitted into a coat so well! Gives such a nice shape!

Advertisement