Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community split over proposed Wind Farm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 colladachrioch

Investment in a recession.
    Direct investment during the construction phase
    + continued money spend during operational lifetime.
    Are there shops, hotels, local businesses in the area?
    Construction workers get hungry....people need places to stay etc.

My point about local communities embracing the change is this: Why not band togother, and instead of complaining, negotiate as a group for cheap energy from the windfarm owners, or to establish a community fund?
    Ask for a percentage of the profit the windfarm owners make from selling the electricity?

All good points and you make a lot of sense, however in this particular case the entire local community wasn't consulted, only the landowners where the turbines are going to be deployed were invited to a public meeting organissed by the developer. Having read the observations from the Statutory Bodies (DOEHLG, An Taisce, NRFB, OPW, Loughs Agency) they all express their concerns on the potential impact that a development of this size (35 turbines) could have on the local ecosystem of rivers, peat bogs flora and fauna.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

All good points and you make a lot of sense, however in this particular case the entire local community wasn't consulted, only the landowners where the turbines are going to be deployed were invited to a public meeting organissed by the developer. Having read the observations from the Statutory Bodies (DOEHLG, An Taisce, NRFB, OPW, Loughs Agency) they all express their concerns on the potential impact that a development of this size (35 turbines) could have on the local ecosystem of rivers, peat bogs flora and fauna.

Decision due date is the 23rd of this month...however I suspect that the 63 objections will set that back a long time. Do you think that this development will go ahead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 colladachrioch

Glenman wrote: »
    Decision due date is the 23rd of this month...however I suspect that the 63 objections will set that back a long time. Do you think that this development will go ahead?

Who knows? That's why we have Planning Departments to weigh up the pros and cons and make decisions.

Decision due today

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Advertisement

I have just read this. House no. 2 originally consented (signed the form) to have the turbine within 500m of their house. They then withdrew their consent. I would have though they could not do this, thtt you could not go back on a signed document?

Just saw on the donegal co co website that planning has been approved for a 3G mobile phone mast 300M from Edeninfagh school. Not one objection. What a bunch of hypocrites. One of the main reasons they gave for objecting to the wind farm was that there was a proposed turbine approximately 600m from the school which would have a negative effect on the children's health. They were on about this wind turbine syndrome. And now they are constructing a mobile phone mast within 300m from the school and they have no objections.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

Just saw on the donegal co co website that planning has been approved for a 3G mobile phone mast 300M from Edeninfagh school. Not one objection. What a bunch of hypocrites. One of the main reasons they gave for objecting to the wind farm was that there was a proposed turbine approximately 600m from the school which would have a negative effect on the children's health. They were on about this wind turbine syndrome. And now they are constructing a mobile phone mast within 300m from the school and they have no objections.

Hilarious, The north west is one of the best places(if not the best) in Europe for wind energy, Which means jobs, which are badly needed in Donegal the last time I looked. morons :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

lamai wrote: »
    Hilarious, The north west is one of the best places(if not the best) in Europe for wind energy, Which means jobs, which are badly needed in Donegal the last time I looked. morons :mad::mad:

At the cost of the natural beauty?

Lough Derg won an action against a wind farm there on just those grounds; area of outstanding natural beauty.

Donegal has a wild beauty that needs keepng safe.

( Just dropping by from way down South..)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

Graces7 wrote: »
    At the cost of the natural beauty?

Lough Derg won an action against a wind farm there on just those grounds; area of outstanding natural beauty.

Donegal has a wild beauty that needs keepng safe.

( Just dropping by from way down South..)

They are hardly the ugliest things you will see, alot of people don't mind them. There is a recession on and very few jobs in this county. Wind Energy could be a massive employer up here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

lamai wrote: »
    They are hardly the ugliest things you will see, alot of people don't mind them. There is a recession on and very few jobs in this county. Wind Energy could be a massive employer up here.

OK; now many jobs and for how long?

This was the main argument for the oil in Mayo a few years back and when Shell arrived, they brought in all their own personnel and all their own food supplies etc.

There was very little benefit to Mayo.

There were the same expectations in Killybegs last year; again, zilch for the community .

And you are not listening; the beauty , which attracts tourists, is in the absence of any man made structure.

There are alternatives; someone wrote here re the micro system? No impact on the environment etc.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

In fairness, the windmills are quite ugly. Big white structures stuck everywhere. Maybe if they were a less glaring colour, they mightn't be so bad

/me goes to paint them grey to blend them in with the sky :)

The windfarm (on a reduced scale) has got the go-ahead from Donegal co co. The objectors now have 3 weeks to bring their case to an Board Pleanna. 35 turbines have been reduced to 18 and they are a smaller turbine. There are 27 conditions listed. There were 74 objections to this windfarm. You would think that would stop the project. Looks like the Goverment are going to push ahead with the green energy project no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MrPint

hello all,
    i think its about time people got a grip of themselves. Sure protect some of the areas in the county for conservation and so on but for gods sake allow development in industries in others. We can get many local jobs out of this and there will be spin-off other jobs with alot of people benefiting.
    Graces i dont know what your postion in with regards to a job or dependancy but i have seen most of my friends ( and myself ) have to leave to try and find work abroad. some people are not happy just sittin on the dole all their lives, grow up and live in ther real world.
    we could be energy indepentant instead of buying nuclear electiricty from the uk.

all the best

Mr Pint

ps speaking of ugly constructions, anyone look at some of the new, half empty, underused, wast of money, CC buildings?

This project was approved by the council but has been appealed to An Bord Pleanala. See info regarding appeals here
    An Bord Pleanalas decision is due this month.
    Hutchinson 3G Ireland Limited have recently constructed a mast in the area. I am surprised to see that they are appealing this. Do they think that the turbines will interfere with the signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

These questions need to be asked.

How many jobs will be created with wind farms? Most jobs associated with wind farm construction is foreign labour we need labour intensive power production to create large numbers of jobs for localities.

How enviromentally friendly are they really? They sell the idea of wind farms as been "green" energy how much carbon is produced in their manufacture and construction and how long would it take to make this back considering a wind turbine must be decommisioned after 25yrs.

How damaging are they to rural areas? Our scenery is being damaged by wind farms i agree the odd wind farm looks peaceful but in the near future our hills will be polluted with wind farms and the pylons to take the power our of the area the donegal development plan states that a wind turbine cannot be errected within 500mtrs of a dwelling that also means a dwelling cannot be built within 500mtrs of a wind turbine leaving your land virtually worthless.

Are they really worth it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Cronyism is rampant

This project was approved by the council but has been appealed to An Bord Pleanala. See info regarding appeals here
    An Bord Pleanalas decision is due this month.
    Hutchinson 3G Ireland Limited have recently constructed a mast in the area. I am surprised to see that they are appealing this. Do they think that the turbines will interfere with the signal?

I see the appeal is decided - any idea if sense prevailed?

I heard this on RnaG yesterday evening. Development of 12 turbines has been approved by An Board Pleanala. The original submission was for 35 of the large turbines and 12 smaller sized turbines have got the go ahead. There are loads of terms & conditions as well, documents should be available later today. The company have to decide now whether it is worth going ahead with this reduced development or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Great idea, we need more of these around the country. No more Nimbyism

The Gweebarra Conservation group gave a big thumbs down to An Bord Pleanalas decision. See report from Highland Radio

Such rubbish. This community is almost gone anyway. For example, we have had three funerals in Edeninfagh church in the last three months and no Christenings. This has been the trend over the last 15 years. This community is in decline anyway and its nothing to do with wind turbines. There are no jobs in this area, that is why I for one and every young person I know has moved away. Nobody will move away because they live too close to turbines, there are only a few pensioners left.

• Advertisement

The Gweebarra Conservation group gave a big thumbs down to An Bord Pleanalas decision. See report from Highland Radio

Such rubbish. This community is almost gone anyway. For example, we have had three funerals in Edeninfagh church in the last three months and no Christenings. This has been the trend over the last 15 years. This community is in decline anyway and its nothing to do with wind turbines. There are no jobs in this area, that is why I for one and every young person I know has moved away. Nobody will move away because they live too close to turbines, there are only a few pensioners left.

sad but true.. very sad to see the decline in population in these places. hopefully at least a few will come back when they're older

Daegerty wrote: »
    sad but true.. very sad to see the decline in population in these places. hopefully at least a few will come back when they're older

Odd that between objections to the council and to the planning board that over 100 of this depopulated areas people found the time and money to object. In the main they seemed concerned about the destruction of their scenic and culturally significant Irish speaking area that is home to families young and old and is also rich with wild-life and their irreplacable habitats.

I find it sad that national policy now sees fit to rape our established and endangered natural rural areas to feed the temporal power needs of the urban centres.

I find it sad that national policy now sees fit to rape our established and endangered natural rural areas to feed the temporal power needs of the urban centres.

Us culchies have to give up everything just so the lads in their Celtic Tiger mansion in D4 will stop moaning about how backward this country is for two seconds. Like the shannon being drained, etc.

I dont see anything wrong with wind turbines myself and I don't dislike the look of them but i agree with your point.

A lot of these things blend in quite well with the environment, I see several places that have wind turbines and I'd nearly go so far as to say they add to the scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Straboy Wind Ltd's application to build a 38 turbine plant on Derkbeg Hill as the developer has withdrawn the planning application!

http://www.highlandradio.com/2011/03/07/glenties-windfarm-application-withdrawn/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

If they had to jump thru the same planning hoops in the 20's/30's for developments as we do now we'd still be wondering when the rural electrification scheme was gonna start in Donegal....

Straboy Wind Ltd's application to build a 38 turbine plant on Derkbeg Hill as the developer has withdrawn the planning application!

http://www.highlandradio.com/2011/03/07/glenties-windfarm-application-withdrawn/

Does anyone know why this was withdrawn? Did developer withdraw or was it procedural?

An Bord Pleanala's website states that it has been granted with revised conditions so I have no idea where that has come from.

muffler wrote: »
    An Bord Pleanala's website states that it has been granted with revised conditions so I have no idea where that has come from.

You are mixing up your wind farm applications; not surprising as Glenties has been targeted by 5 different developments with in excess of 100 turbines proposed.

Mully Graffy Applied for 39 - 13 granted by An Bord Pleanala - another five weeks time to run on an appeal to the high court.
    Tangaveane applied for 5 - refused Donegal Co Co
    Straboy applied for 38 - further information requested - now withdrawn
    Altnagapple applied for 13 - approved by Donegal Co Co 2009 - refused by An Bord Pleanala Summer 2010 - reapplied for again January 2011
    Edeninfagh (8?) awaiting application - unlikely to proceed though.

That is 103 applied for I think - only 13 granted and that is unlikely to survive legal challenge.

I am seeking info. on the reason Straboy withdrawn - if anyone has info. let me know on the thread or PM me.

Thanks.

Cronyism is Rampant

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

why bother building them? They don't work? They indirectly have a huge carbon output in that the peat plants operate at a a greatly reduced effiency when running at lower capacity.
    Of course it'll be supplying ireland. There is a open market here and you can't export electricity. Even if you could why would we subsidise some one elses electricity

• Advertisement

You are mixing up your wind farm applications; not surprising as Glenties has been targeted by 5 different developments with in excess of 100 turbines proposed.
    Sorry about that. I just went back to the first post and input the details from that.

Have you a planning reference number for the application that has been withdrawn?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement