Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions of buying a bike?

Options
  • 02-11-2009 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭

All comments appreciated,looking to spend a few quid on a nice bike in the next week or two (roughly 200-250) any suggestions?

Ideally something with reliability for mostly road use but occasionally bumpy uneven roading/dirt tracks,not full off roading so not lookin for a mountain bike.

also suggestions of a nice comfy saddle? or knowledge of a bike which has one ready fitted would be great.

Bonito:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mgadget

The Carrera Subway 1. At €270 it's a little outside your budget but totally worth it at that price.

*I have a Subway1 for three years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

mgadget wrote: »
    The Carrera Subway 1. At €270 it's a little outside your budget but totally worth it at that price.

*I have a Subway1 for three years now.
    Looks a solid bike but I'm after something a bit more closer to a racing cycle rather than a commuting cycle :) much appreaciated

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bonito wrote: »
    Looks a solid bike but I'm after something a bit more closer to a racing cycle rather than a commuting cycle :) much appreaciated

Your budget is insufficient, at least for a new bike.

Lumen wrote: »
    Your budget is insufficient, at least for a new bike.
    really? I know a full racing cycle is expensive but i want something in between a mountain bike and a racing cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mgadget

:confused: can you link to an example of the type of bike you are after.

Cyclocross? Flat bar road bike? Hybrid?

• Advertisement

really? I know a full racing cycle is expensive but i want something in between a mountain bike and a racing cycle

In what sense "in between"? A flat bar hybrid (like the Subway) is in between.

If you want drop handlebars you'll need to spend significantly more money.

To give you an idea, the groupset on a Sora equipped bike (pretty much bottom of the range road components) cost somewhere between €150 and €240. And you'll also need a frame, forks, wheels, handlebars, stem, saddle, seatpost, etc.

Lumen wrote: »
    In what sense "in between"? A flat bar hybrid (like the Subway) is in between.

If you want drop handlebars you'll need to spend significantly more money.

To give you an idea, the groupset on a Sora equipped bike (pretty much bottom of the range road components) cost somewhere between €150 and €240. And you'll also need a frame, forks, wheels, handlebars, stem, saddle, seatpost, etc.
    ok budget can be stretched considerably if the bike is worth its pennies, the 200-250 was just an estimation of what id need to spend. :)

Yes a flat bar road bike except with slightly thicker tyres and a front suspension,for the dirt track,unevenly paved roads use etc. what exactly are we paying road tax for? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I think the carerra (possibly add some slick tyres) is your best bet at that budget too.

If you want anything approximating a road bike you will need to double or triple your budget at least and thats just to get the lowest specced machine out there. Road stuff is expensive, for the lower end of your budget you could buy the left hand gear shift lever for my race bike. You need to revise your expectations downwards. Even secondhand you still need to double your budget for an entry level road machine e.g. a giant scr4 or something like that tends to go for around 350 secondhand.

You might get a hybrid like a specialized sirrus for around th 350 mark secondhand. Whilst the Giant FCR 4 is basically a roadbike with flat bars, it goes for around 450-480 new if you shop around.

EDIT: Just saw your latest post, if you want suspension, you are better off with an MTB and slick tires. Check chainreactioncycles.com for an idea of prices.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I think the carerra (possibly add some slick tyres) is your best bet at that budget too.

If you want anything approximating a road bike you will need to double or triple your budget at least and thats just to get the lowest specced machine out there. Road stuff is expensive, for the lower end of your budget you could buy the left hand gear shift lever for my race bike. You need to revise your expectations downwards. Even secondhand you still need to double your budget for an entry level road machine e.g. a giant scr4 or something like that tends to go for around 350 secondhand.

You might get a hybrid like a specialized sirrus for around th 350 mark secondhand. Whilst the Giant FCR 4 is basically a roadbike with flat bars, it goes for around 450-480 new if you shop around.

EDIT: Just saw your latest post, if you want suspension, you are better off with an MTB and slick tires. Check chainreactioncycles.com for an idea of prices.
    I like the carrera,if I could find something very similar with the exception of a front suspension i'd be drawn to buy it. As i said I can afford to stretch the budget considerably as im expecting to be using the bike an awfull lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

i want something in between a mountain bike and a racing cycle

That would be a cyclocross bike :)

Saddles: like a pair of shoes... it depends on who is using/wearing it.
    Some folk have wider "sit bones" than others. However, typically, a big spongy saddle is not the way to go if you are planning on spending a lot of time on the bike. Padded shorts are also a huge help. It's really trial and error with saddles.

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    That would be a cyclocross bike :)

Saddles: like a pair of shoes... it depends on who is using/wearing it.
    Some folk have wider "sit bones" than others. However, typically, a big spongy saddle is not the way to go if you are planning on spending a lot of time on the bike. Padded shorts are also a huge help. It's really trial and error with saddles.
    is there really much difference between a cyclo-cross and a road bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

mgadget wrote: »
    :confused: can you link to an example of the type of bike you are after.

Cyclocross? Flat bar road bike? Hybrid?
    the carrera virtuoso or vanquish look good and halfords have good customer reviews about them,but is there a more reliable brand for the spec of these bikes or similar? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I got the Trek 7100. It's hybrid and has front suspension.

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/bike_path/hybrid/7100e/

is there really much difference between a cyclo-cross and a road bike?

Brakes, tyres/clearances, some geometry differences depending on mfr (higher BB, shorter TT, longer HT, longer chainstays).

From my experience, in terms of what you'd notice when using a cyclocross bike on the road with road tyres, it's basically just the (relatively) crappy brakes and a slightly more relaxed position.

But cyclocross bikes are generally expensive, which pretty much rules them out for this thread.

Advertisement