Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geothermal/oil - 3,200 sq foot

Options
  • 02-11-2009 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi does anyone got any cost analysis figures of oil heating v geothermal. I know the advantages and disadvantages and have quotes of 19,000ish for geothermal with underfloor upstairs and downstairs. The problem I have is I find the quotes for the actual installation of underfloor and 2 manifolds of 8,000 excessive (no screed included). Then the horizontal piping and pump installation come to 12,000 (no excavation or backfill included).

What would complete heating system comprising condensing boiler and rads/underfloor, zones, thermostats etc likely cost me for house this size (4 large beds upstairs)? A rough guide would be great including labour, all pipes oil tank etc.

Is SEI grant still available for geothermal?? How much is it. Any links to grant info....? Can't find info on amounts on sei site.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭YourAverageJoe

I am trying to make the same decision at the minute. Similar house, 3000sq ft, UF on both floors with oil or with geo. Tough decision so any info/advice would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Is SEI grant still available for geothermal?? How much is it. Any links to grant info....? Can't find info on amounts on sei site.

Is your house a new house? The SEI grant is still available, but only for existing houses which are defined as ones first occupied before 30 June 2008.

http://www.sei.ie/Grants/GreenerHomes/FAQ/Applying_Qualifying/#middle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭PJMCKE

I just got one quote in at the moment for a 3050 sq ft house 2 story. That is conventional radiator system. High output radiators 18 included. Zoned system of 3 zones.. Upstairs,down stairs and Hot water. 3000 litre s/s cylinder with unvented kit and pressurization unit(I am going for a pressurized system). 4 bathrooms (2 ensuites). 600L sotrage tank. All in including testing was 17,000. This did not include the boiler/heating of a pellet boiler.
    I would love for comments on this price as when i include the pellet boiler it goes up to 32K.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭liamolaighin

Does that include plumbing so for toilets bathrooms, and sinks in all bathrooms. My scenario includes 2 bathrooms and 2 ensuites. Would like to have pump showers in 1 bath and in both ensuites.

At moment a quote for geothermal is 19,000 and that includes horizontal pipe layout, pump, and underfloor upstairs and down with 4 zones and thermostatic control. Also includes installation. This also heats hot water for house. Id then have to get plumber to plumb all bathrooms, and obviously rest of house.....

So what do you think that would set me back going the boiler and rads routee???

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

House size is 3050 sq foot 2 storey. Just got a quote for geothermal as follows:
    Heat pump (12KW), ground loop collector, final commisioning : €12,700
    Underfloor on both floors : €8,800

The above is just for the geothermal system....all works regarding toilets plumbing, solar panels etc would be additional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭PJMCKE

Yes it does include all plumbing to sinks,taps,toilets, waste pipes etc. 2 bathrooms with 2 ensuites. Still I think 17K is expensive.

QUOTE=liamolaighin;62814056]Does that include plumbing so for toilets bathrooms, and sinks in all bathrooms. My scenario includes 2 bathrooms and 2 ensuites. Would like to have pump showers in 1 bath and in both ensuites.

At moment a quote for geothermal is 19,000 and that includes horizontal pipe layout, pump, and underfloor upstairs and down with 4 zones and thermostatic control. Also includes installation. This also heats hot water for house. Id then have to get plumber to plumb all bathrooms, and obviously rest of house.....

So what do you think that would set me back going the boiler and rads routee???[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 30 OllieMc

Im in the same boat at the moment. Trying to decide what to get for a 3200 square ft house.
    Where you guys getting the Geothermal quotes. What im getting back is a lot more then that

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

OllieMc wrote: »
    Im in the same boat at the moment. Trying to decide what to get for a 3200 square ft house.
    Where you guys getting the Geothermal quotes. What im getting back is a lot more then that
    PM sent....don't think company names can go here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Lightning McQue

Could u pm me please too.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Conman1

PM sent....don't think company names can go here.
    Clint,
    I would appreciate if you PM the name of that company too. Many Thanks,
    C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

and me :) thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭YourAverageJoe

what about the running cost comparison, which was the initial query in the thread, anyone got figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

When I was doing my similar size house about 2 years ago, I was originally looking to put ufh upstairs and downstairs. My wife wanted a solid fuel range in the kitchen though as well, for that 'homely' kinda warmth.

Anyway, doing both upstairs and downstairs with ufh was coming in far too expensive, especially when you take the upstairs screed and extra strength required in the joists into account. All our main bedrooms were downstairs anyway, only an office and a guest bedroom and a couple of other junk rooms were upstairs.

So, eventually we put ufh downstairs only, which was 180 sq m as opposed to the 280 sq m that it would have been if we had also done the upstairs. This meant that because we were heating a much smaller area of the house, we didn't need such a large heat pump, so the price came right down.

We now use the range to heat radiators upstairs when we need to. You probably are not planning on getting a range, so depending on what rooms you have upstairs, you could either put in a simple oil system to heat some rads. Or, I know some heat pumps are capable of heating radiators, so that could be an option for upstairs either.

Anyway, I am so glad I didn't bother with UFH upstairs it would have been a complete waste. Remember, you want your bedrooms quite cool anyway. We don't even have the UFH on in our bedroom at the moment.

As I say, this was all done about 2 years ago, so prices have hopefully dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

what about the running cost comparison, which was the initial query in the thread, anyone got figures?

My Heat Pump used 28 units last night, so just over 2.50 euro to heat 160 sq m (not on in our bedroom) - Rooms were heated to about 19.5 degrees. Plus 300 litres of water to 54 degrees, although this was probably already almost 54 degrees last night actually as my wife had the range on all night cooking to the Christmas puds!

I think it was probably about 3-5 degrees outside, not sure.

Be interested to hear how that compares with other folk actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ferngreen

Very difficult question to answer as different heat pumps will have different COP's hence different running costs.

Advertisement