Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth and the USI.

• 02-11-2009 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

I know the Students Union of Maynooth has been operating outside the premise of the Union of Students Ireland for the good few years now.
    However I'm wondering the reasons for this and as to why the Union still refuse to rejoin the union, surely this should be put to consitution with the student body to vote on it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

This was, a number of years ago as far as I remember. NUIM aren't the only ones beyond the USI remit - I think the exit was a result of career building conservatism and general non-action at USI level. Maybe the political outlook is a little better given current circumstances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I think it also has to do with how, as members of usi, we'd have no choice but to do as usi says in any political matter. Also, we're already in fusu.

I can see both sides of the issue tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

FUSU hasn't got a postal address, a website from what I can see, and doesn't really release press statements or plan any demonstrations.

USI is only as good as the people in it.

This years SU exec in Maynooth did some work with USI in terms of training etc. as far as I remember hearing at UC. Thats a positive step. I think this years Uni are willing enough to engage with the Union on issues of mutual interest, which is a great sign.

USI have quite a good leaflet on student workers rights which they produced with the Unite union, me and a few heads were distributing it on campus. I'd like to see the union either get involved in those USI campaigns, or launch their own similar campaigns.

Personally, I wasn't impressed with USI lobbying the Greens to stay in government (Water charges, the pension levy, education cutbacks... theres plenty of reasons for student union leaders to d istance themselves from a party like that) after the Programme for Government. Its got huge faults still, but I think for the cost of joining (anyone know what it is exactly? Last I recall it was about €8 a student on the Reg Fee?) its worth going in, even critically.

Could be worth a referendum. Its not an 'activist group', its a student lobbying group, and its best to have the seven Unis on a united strategy approach. FUSU doesn't really work, wheres its online/real life presence?

I'm on critical-support mode for the idea of rejoining.

USI campaigns on student workers rights, LGBT stuff etc. are worthwhile too, I think the unaffiliated unions getting involved in campaigns like that'd be step 1.

I love this gem though from the Student Union 2002 attacking USI.
    Dan - Fight for Free Fees Sath Lún 03, 2002 18:22
    students.union at may dot ie

If we wait for USI to organise anything, we'll all have graduated before they even issue a press release.

Thats why, we in the NUI Maynooth SU have to decided to act. In the next few weeks we'll be organising an occupation of the department of Education and we won't be living until this in reversed.
    If you are interested in getting involved, please e-mail us at students.union@may.ie.
    and last years crowd didn't tell us about Batt O' Keefe for fear of FEE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

The USI seems to attach unnecessary political agendas to representing students, and in turn the Students Union is associated with these political agendas. I think it's far more important that the Students Union relates to students rather than relating to a political agenda.

• Advertisement

I don't think USI have a political agenda, its obviously liberal but thats to do with the student base I suppose.

http://usiequality.wordpress.com/

Off the top of my head USI have been involved in LGBT stuff, anti-Womens Resource Centre stuff (A non licensed abortion 'counselling' service that is in reality a front for the Christian Solidarity Party, theres a piece by an ex- USI Gender Equality officer here), and get the banner out on Irish Congress of Trade Union demos.

http://www.usi.ie/index.php/campaigns.html
    Gender, disability, LGBT, basic workers rights stuff, no biggie smalls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

They are involved with issues that may serve to isolate students that disagree moreso than bringing students together. I don't think a Union of Students should be doing this, but rather leaving other organisation to argue about abortion and the viability of gay marriage.

Advertisement