Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100Mb NTL

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I think they are lying to me about my speed..
    130362.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

sk1 wrote: »
    hi, i was asking via mail today and got this reply

so i would say maybe end of the year since they officially announced it in may this year here: http://www.rte.ie/business/2010/0504/upc.html

it has been *officially* announced 3 or 4 times at this stage, the first time being a couple of years ago now with it being planned to be rolled out sometime in the middle of last year if memory serves.

since then it's been re-scheduled more times than the apocalypse. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

lol did you try other speed tests?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The speed in my sig is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Would 100MB improve ping or just the upload and download??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Would 100MB improve ping or just the upload and download??

My guess would be it would help the connection in every way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Wihoo, I'm beta testing 100mb broadband from UPC. They installing the new wireless router on Thursday.

Said I'd have it free of charge for a month and then they want feedback. It's a wireless router so they said I may only achieve approx 70-80mb over wireless.

Hope they let me keep the router because the one I have is useless

Wihoo, I'm beta testing 100mb broadband from UPC. They installing the new wireless router on Thursday.

Said I'd have it free of charge for a month and then they want feedback. It's a wireless router so they said I may only achieve approx 70-80mb over wireless.

Where abouts are you located and how did you get involved.

Thor wrote: »
    Where abouts are you located and how did you get involved.

Dub24. Random phone call

Dub24. Random phone call

Nice, Wish i got a random phone call.

• Advertisement

Pfffffff!!
    100mb????
    I'm not dropping my speed to test for anyone...;):rolleyes:
    130362.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

UPC is on the eve of unveiling its new 100Mbps broadband network to 550,000 homes across Ireland. Liberty Global has more than 18m customers in 14 countries worldwide.
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/new-media/item/18268-cable-giant-plans-gadget-to/

Launch tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Stevek101 wrote: »

I'd say metaphorical eve, as in, within a year. :(

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I'd say metaphorical eve, as in, within a year. :(

Did you not see my post above. I'm beta testing it for them from today (they installing new router this morning). It's free for a month then they said approx €80 per month thereafter. So I'd say they'll have it rolled out to most by the end of the year.

Could make a nice Christmas present for someone.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I'm advised that the proposed cap (FUP) is 500GB. Can anyone else confirm this?

seems strange that a lower speed would be unlimited & a higher speed be capped.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

koolkid wrote: »
    seems strange that a lower speed would be unlimited & a higher speed be capped.

Their current offerings are unlimited but capped at 250GBs (I know that sounds retarded).

Thanks AC.
    I think I need to review T&Cs again.
    Anyway if 30meg is 250GB & 100meg is going to be capped at 500GB that is a relative drop really.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

koolkid wrote: »
    Thanks AC.
    I think I need to review T&Cs again.
    Anyway if 30meg is 250GB & 100meg is going to be capped at 500GB that is a relative drop really.

Yes and no. While you're right that you're getting 3-4 times the speed and only getting 2 times the download limit, from my experience UPC don't bother about their caps that much. I've gone over mine every month since signing up (probably haven't gone over it this month or last month but every other month I did) with some months pulling in about 500 or 600GBs (the usual was about 300 - 400GBs) and they haven't annoyed me about it once. If they keep their current attitude I can't see myself ever having a problem with them.

• Advertisement

Lets hope so.:)

Yes and no. While you're right that you're getting 3-4 times the speed and only getting 2 times the download limit, from my experience UPC don't bother about their caps that much. I've gone over mine every month since signing up (probably haven't gone over it this month or last month but every other month I did) with some months pulling in about 500 or 600GBs (the usual was about 300 - 400GBs) and they haven't annoyed me about it once. If they keep their current attitude I can't see myself ever having a problem with them.

Wow.
    Some on here would have you believe that if you go 1GB over the 250GB that they send you a notification of going to the corporate cap (none €80)

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Wow.
    Some on here would have you believe that if you go 1GB over the 250GB that they send you a notification of going to the corporate cap (none €80)

I imagine their attitude varies depending on the area and how congested things are on that node. For example in my area there could be feck all people using the network to it's fullest and so there is plenty of bandwidth available. In this case they may not care if a few people decide to go nuts. In other areas they may have a lot more congestion and could bitchslap the crap out of anyone who goes over it.

I imagine their attitude varies depending on the area and how congested things are on that node. For example in my area there could be feck all people using the network to it's fullest and so there is plenty of bandwidth available. In this case they may not care if a few people decide to go nuts. In other areas they may have a lot more congestion and could bitchslap the crap out of anyone who goes over it.

Understood, makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

that's pretty much exactly how it is (or at least how it appears to be).

if you're in an area where bandwidth is highly utilised and you're using more than 250gb per month then you ARE going to get a letter warning you about your usage (and after the 3rd you get bumped to the €80 unadvertised extreme package), but if you're in an area with plenty of bandwidth to share, you're not impacting anyone by using more so they will leave you alone.

BTW, this is just anecdotal experience based on what i've read here, i don't know this for 100% fact, but it's the way it seems to be based on what people have reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I recieved a letter from UPC this week for downloading 597GB for september
    this was my first warning from them i was told that i would be put on the
    broadband extreme 79.99 a month i wonder is this the price for the 100mb
    coming soon im currently on the 15mb speed.

vibe666 wrote: »
    that's pretty much exactly how it is (or at least how it appears to be).

if you're in an area where bandwidth is highly utilised and you're using more than 250gb per month then you ARE going to get a letter warning you about your usage (and after the 3rd you get bumped to the €80 unadvertised extreme package), but if you're in an area with plenty of bandwidth to share, you're not impacting anyone by using more so they will leave you alone.

BTW, this is just anecdotal experience based on what i've read here, i don't know this for 100% fact, but it's the way it seems to be based on what people have reported.

Actually you are 100% right, This was confirmed to me by a customer service agent. He was well knowledgeable and new what he was talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

luzon wrote: »
    I recieved a letter from UPC this week for downloading 597GB for september
    this was my first warning from them i was told that i would be put on the
    broadband extreme 79.99 a month i wonder is this the price for the 100mb
    coming soon im currently on the 15mb speed.

Downloading 597gb in a month is taking the piss, you'd STILL be going over the cap even if you were on 100mb as thats reported to be 500gb. Good luck finding an ISP that will leave you off for it too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

hightower1 wrote: »
    Downloading 597gb in a month is taking the piss, you'd STILL be going over the cap even if you were on 100mb as thats reported to be 500gb. Good luck finding an ISP that will leave you off for it too.

Unlimited = without limit:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

dub45 wrote: »
    Unlimited = without limit:rolleyes:

change the record:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement