Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100Mb NTL

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

change the record:rolleyes:

Tell the truth! Too much to ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

dub45 wrote: »
    Tell the truth! Too much to ask?

UPC are one of the best ISP's in Ireland today and nearly everyone agrees with that, your personal quest of bashing UPC has failed miserably Dub45, attempts now are clearly sad and out of place as noted above.

hightower1 wrote: »
    UPC are one of the best ISP's in Ireland today and nearly everyone agrees with that, your personal quest of bashing UPC has failed miserably Dub45, attempts now are clearly sad and out of place as noted above.

If expecting a company to tell the truth is "bashing them" then you have a very peculiar view of the world indeed. What's "sad and out of place" is your nauseating and illogical sycophancy towards a large multinational that should not need fan boys like yourself to defend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

If expecting a company to tell the truth is "bashing them" then you have a very peculiar view of the world indeed. What's "sad and out of place" is your nauseating and illogical sycophancy towards a large multinational that should not need fan boys like yourself to defend them.

I agree with you however in my case it is not that I love UPC but I hate the competition more.

There are small ISPs that have their own networks Magnet and Cassy I think but on a National level it is Eircom or Eircom resellers or UPC.

None of these big companies need fans but for people looking for broadband the only choice in most cases is Eircom or UPC.

Ranicand wrote: »
    I agree with you however in my case it is not that I love UPC but I hate the competition more.

There are small ISPs that have their own networks Magnet and Cassy I think but on a National level it is Eircom or Eircom resellers or UPC.

No of these big companies need fans but for people looking for broadband the only choice in most cases is Eircom or UPC.

And irrespective of the size of the company and the attractiveness of the products they offer, customers are entitled to expect the truth in their dealings with the company. That should be a given.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Unlimited = without limit:rolleyes:

Your abosultey right dub45 there should be no cap but in

fairness i was a little greedy that month. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭nani17

Jesus some of you guys download why to much. 500 GB a month would be just fine for me I just don't understand how anyone can go over 500gb unless your inside most of the day downloading games and movies.

So when is this 100MB coming and any ideas on the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

nani17 wrote: »
    Jesus some of you guys download why to much. 500 GB a month would be just fine for me I just don't understand how anyone can go over 500gb unless your inside most of the day downloading games and movies.

Again i find myself stating, Its not just one person downloading, Its the entire household, People everyday checking youtube videos(in hd aswell) adds up very quickly.

Very true you should ban them all :D

Very true you should ban them all :D

I think a 250gb is fine for the average user, But in some cases it can be a little low considering its upload aswell.

The problem i have is that they clearly advertise it as unlimited, Which is just plain ridiculous, For people to say 'how could someone download that much' Because thats what they are paying for, But really they are not.

the fact is that no isp is going to give real unlimited anytime soon, But to blatantly lie to its customers should not be allowed.

Too bad as it is allowed in this country and probably always will be!!!

• Advertisement

If you don't download any movies/games then 250gb is fine right. They know people are downloading illegal so there way of not letting it get out of control is capping "Unlimited" users

If you don't download any movies/games then 250gb is fine right. They know people are downloading illegal so there way of not letting it get out of control is capping "Unlimited" users

Illegal, There are loads of ways to download, Xbox 360 hd movies are 8gb a piece, Not sure about you but that can add up. Itunes now has hd movies, Sky player, rte player, Its not like someone who doesn't download these things to go for a 15mb or 30mb package, Unless

1. There is a lot of users in the house, They need more speed so each person doesn't experiance a slow connection.

2. Heavy users.

Either way both situations should get what they are paying for, an unlimited connection. The fact remains that no where in the T&C does it say it has a 250gb limit, Just say 'There is a FUP'

Even if there was an reason, Its doesn't justify lying about what the real cap is.

I'm beginning to see the light on this topic .......where do i sign up to be part of the revolution :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

hightower1 wrote: »
    Your personal quest of bashing UPC has failed miserably Dub45, attempts now are clearly sad and out of place as noted above.

Your personal quest of jumping to UPC's defense in every single UPC labeled thread where someone is not happy with them for one reason or another is just laughable at this stage.

You can skip and jump and dance around it all you want but at the end of the day, the word Unlimited mean without limit. Therefore, advertising a service as unlimited while putting a limit in place is down right dishonest and a misrepresentation of the product if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

They say unlimited, but subject to fair usage policy.
    Their policy says that if you go over 250gb every month for a prolonged time, then you're not using your connection fairly.

What's to disagree with?
    Where's the lie?

If you don't want to take the other people in your neighbourhood's feelings/earnings into account, then you can purchase an upgrade from UPC.
    Otherwise, you're being a *, and UPC are right to limit *'s for the good of the community you live in.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Their policy says that if you go over 250gb every month for a prolonged time, then you're not using your connection fairly.

What's to disagree with?
    Where's the lie?

If you don't want to take the other people in your neighbourhood's feelings/earnings into account, then you can purchase an upgrade from UPC.
    Otherwise, you're being a *, and UPC are right to limit *'s for the good of the community you live in.

They sell an "unlimited" product without any qualification on their website. If a product has a limit of x gb then it is not an unlimited product thats a simple fact. It is up to UPC to sell a product that will deliver a service to its customers. If the network cannot handle that product then it should not be sold.

It should not be up to a customer to consider whether or not their usage is impacting on somebody else's that is what UPC are there for.

I am sure when you go into a supermarket you dont feel compelled to worry about buying a couple of cartons of milk affecting the supply to everyone in the neighbourhood.

And how come paying extra money allows you to download an amount which is not ok if you are not paying the money? The "impact" on your neighbours is not lessened by you paying the extra money. In fact the "impact" will be increased if you suddenly feel you can now download even more than previously.

Anyway I see they are now advertising "contention free" so there is no need for anyone to worry anymore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

/\/ollog wrote: »

Is that not a contradiction?

Two questions for you -

Is it unlimited or not?
    If i have an unlimited service, then what do you mean by using my connection "fairly"?

250GB is not unlimited, its limited.
    Id much rather they simply advertise that. Its still a very high amount of data and still blows most of the competition out of the water.

I'm quite happy with my 250GB limit. I am however quite unhappy with the method in which the term "unlimited" is thrown around by UPC and i'm unsure how so many people can jump to the defense of it of such a dishonest practice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Dub45 - this is off topic and has been done to death. If you are not happy with UPC feel free to leave and try and find a better service elsewhere for a similar price.

JDxtra wrote: »
    Dub45 - this is off topic and has been done to death. If you are not happy with UPC feel free to leave and try and find a better service elsewhere for a similar price.

If I want advice I will post in the personal issues forum.

The point is not about the service or the products offered it is about a company being honest with its customers or prospective customers.

Companies should not be allowed to advertise or offer unlimited products that have any qualification. And once one company gets away with it they are all at it. Look at the nonsense that Vodafone have in their so called "unlimited" mobile product's T&C's:rolleyes: An "unlimited" mobile product?:eek:

All UPC (and the others) have to do is tell customers clearly what exactly they are purchasing. That's hardly too much to ask is it? Ultimately customers find out what they have purchased anyway when they get "those" letters. And most customers (except the fanboys and sycophants) will rightly feel peed off when that happens.

So in the long run it is in everyones's interests for the companies to be honest upfront.

Doesn't it clearly state the fair usage policy on the website???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

to be fair this has gone off the topic along time ago. OP was bout getting upgraded to 100mb. so this is very much off topic.

to give my 2 cents on the current argument. why have a fair usage policy at all? just state with the 30mb product that it is subject to a download limit of 250gb and if you go above this you MAY be subject to whatever measure they deem necessary to bring u back in line with the limit. and then repeat excessive downloading will result in being put on the "super secret unlimited package"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Is there a way of knowing how much I've dl'ed through UPC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Doesn't it clearly state the fair usage policy on the website???
    not unless they've changed it (very) recently. they've never stated what the FUP is, all they ever did was change it from a "fair" usage policy to an "acceptable" one which in itself seems like an admission of it being unfair.
    grizzly wrote: »
    Is there a way of knowing how much I've dl'ed through UPC?
    you'll need to track your usage yourself with a bandwidth monitor.

even though UPC can track your usage both on a rolling 30 days and calendar monthly, they don't give you any way of tracking it themselves, unlike any other ISP out there.

to track your own usage, you'll need a freeware bandwidth monitor if you only have one PC, or buy a router with bandwidth monitoring capabilities (about €40) if you use multiple PC's and games consoles etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

tazzzZ wrote: »
    to give my 2 cents on the current argument. why have a fair usage policy at all? just state with the 30mb product that it is subject to a download limit of 250gb and if you go above this you MAY be subject to whatever measure they deem necessary to bring u back in line with the limit. and then repeat excessive downloading will result in being put on the "super secret unlimited package"!
    Because they don't have to specify what they consider to be fair in the contract. They could change it tomorrow to be 100GB a month or they could state that new service YZX which is a big network hog/pain (for what ever reason) is no longer fair etc.

In short it is a clause to write the company free to take what ever action they feel is needed to point at if the customer complaints. Fair or not is a seperate discussion but that is why it is there and that is why it is not specified.

vibe666 wrote: »
    not unless they've changed it (very) recently. they've never stated what the FUP is, all they ever did was change it from a "fair" usage policy to an "acceptable" one which in itself seems like an admission of it being unfair.

And before signing a contract you never asked what does fair usage policy mean because that's what i did i mean it's there for everyone to see. When you go to the site and choose which one you want there's a big tab saying "Conditions" in it states the fair usage policy. The most obvious thing to do before signing a contract is to read the conditions and anything you don't understand can always be explained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

@ dub45

its not that i disagree with anything you are saying but i dont see what you think you are going to achieve by banging on about it on boards.
    all you are doing is making threads go of topic into the same argument.
    ps: using the term "fanboy" makes you sound a tool;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

It seems to me that the terms "unlimited" and "fair usage policy" are a contradiction , the fair usage policy by its very nature creates a limit on downloads. I'm not arguing the merits or otherwise of this but UPC should really use some terminlogy other than "unlimited" since it clearly is not.

Edit: Apologies for off topic

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

@ dub45

its not that i disagree with anything you are saying but i dont see what you think you are going to achieve by banging on about it on boards.
    all you are doing is making threads go of topic into the same argument.
    ps: using the term "fanboy" makes you sound a tool;)

Your right he does go on a bit however while I agree UPC has the best Broadband it would be nice if they were honest about the cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

I call it a "F**kin unfair policy" ..

Back on topic, 100MB sounds good. However in Ireland, you might as well have 1MB with the amount of limits that will be associated with it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Anyway I see they are now advertising "contention free" so there is no need for anyone to worry anymore!

Just like Eircom!;):D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement