Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100Mb NTL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sk1

bk109 wrote: »
    Just wanted to post a quick apology to ronkmonster and to the other ppl i didn't believe that the 80€/30Extreme package is real... аnd it burnssss my wallet :D

do you have to pay this now every 2 months or was it just a one-time "adjustment" to your regular bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

vibe666 wrote: »
    sorry, but no there isn't more to it at all.

802.11a (using 3.7 or 5Ghz) isn't commonly used at all in Europe and as such is not normally supported on any devices you can buy here.

the vast majority of wireless devices bought in the last 10 years will support both 802.11b & 802.11g at 2.4Ghz. some newer devices released in the last couple of years will also support 802.11n (at 2.4 and/or 5Ghz) and the newer standards are backwards compatible on the 2.4Ghz range so any router supporting 802.11n should also allow any b/g/n device to connect to it although the overall speed of your wireless network may well suffer as a result.

with all due respect...i throw my best educated guess in here...we don't know what user has at home !!
    i have A,B, G and N running all over Dublin / Europe !

regards !
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

bk109 wrote: »
    Just wanted to post a quick apology to ronkmonster and to the other ppl i didn't believe that the 80€/30Extreme package is real... аnd it burnssss my wallet :D

Where do you see it "real" ! ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

sk1 wrote: »
    do you have to pay this now every 2 months or was it just a one-time "adjustment" to your regular bill?
    Every month (or two months depending on bill)
    rolion wrote: »
    Where do you see it "real" ! ?
    I think his message means he's being charged it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

So has this just been forgotten about? Why did they "launch" this 6 months ago and its still not available...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

irishguy wrote: »
    So has this just been forgotten about? Why did they "launch" this 6 months ago and its still not available...

They didn't launch it 6 months ago, They were trialling it in certain areas, They have stated that they ran into some troubles and pushed the date back to January instead. Makes sense as it will also be 1 year since there last upgrade to 30mb.

I prefer for them to work out as many problems before hand and then release it instead of just pushing the update out to whoever wants it and then deal with all the problems that occur.

Thor wrote: »
    They didn't launch it 6 months ago, They were trialling it in certain areas, They have stated that they ran into some troubles and pushed the date back to January instead. Makes sense as it will also be 1 year since there last upgrade to 30mb.

I prefer for them to work out as many problems before hand and then release it instead of just pushing the update out to whoever wants it and then deal with all the problems that occur.

This article says its launched.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0504/upc-business.html

This press release from UPC also confirms it.
    http://www.upc.ie/pdf/Welcome%20to%20the%20World%20of%20UPC.pdf

Its a bit silly launch a product when you dont actually have the product, especially when 7 months later you dont have any official dates for providing the product....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

They didnt actually launch it then, they announced it would be launching in late summer, but it didnt as it was delayed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

with all due respect...i throw my best educated guess in here...we don't know what user has at home !!
    err, yes we do because he told us in an earlier post. he's trialling the 100mbps UPC service with the 802.11n wireless router they gave him. :rolleyes:
    i have A,B, G and N running all over Dublin / Europe !

regards !
    ;)
    you personally? you must have a really big wireless network. :rolleyes:

you can read all the articles you like about what standards are licenced where, but if you actually had a decent amount of real world experience of wireless devices, you'd know that 802.11a is about as popular as syphilis and as such is very rarely if ever actually used and as such has only limited support.

the dominating wireless standard in Europe WAS initially 802.11b IS currently 802.11g, and is rapidly being overtaken by 802.11n as people demand faster wireless access than 802.11g can deliver, such as with 100mbps broadband. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Rumor has it Q1 maybe Q2 next year.

• Advertisement

well, it was originally scheduled for spring 2010 when it was first announced, then it was summer 2010 when they missed that, then sept/oct 2010 when they missed that and more recently jan 2011 but thats all gone a bit quiet now, so who knows when we'll actually get it.

its a good sign that they're actually running trials now, but a pretty bad sign that they are more actively enforcing the 250gb AUP/FUP just recently as it would seem to indicate a lack of available bandwidth for the uprades, but who knows. :(

Only 12 months after its announced in typical Chorus/NTL/UPC style.

Only 12 months after its announced in typical Chorus/NTL/UPC style.
    at least we know its going to arrive eventually for UPC users, i dread to think how long ADSL users in Ireland will be waiting for the option of 100mbps broadband. :D

some of them are still waiting for 1mbps. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭Bodan

according to a Irish Times article in November,
    The company has announced plans to offer 100 megabyte internet speeds before Christmas.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2010/1105/1224282726129.html

it looks like they may have missed that deadline as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bodan wrote: »
    according to a Irish Times article in November,

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2010/1105/1224282726129.html

it looks like they may have missed that deadline as well.
    800Mb broadband. Woooooo!!!!

UPC sales guy just rang there and said they are targeting Q1 next year now

UPC sales guy just rang there and said they are targeting Q1 next year now
    yes, i imagine in a similar sort of way to how the US military target the bad guys. :D

yes, i imagine in a similar sort of way to how the US military target the bad guys. :D

Kill everyone and let god sort them out!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

well, it was originally scheduled for spring 2010 when it was first announced, then it was summer 2010 when they missed that, then sept/oct 2010 when they missed that and more recently jan 2011 but thats all gone a bit quiet now, so who knows when we'll actually get it.

its a good sign that they're actually running trials now, but a pretty bad sign that they are more actively enforcing the 250gb AUP/FUP just recently as it would seem to indicate a lack of available bandwidth for the uprades, but who knows. :(

100MB was never scheduled for spring 2010

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    100MB was never scheduled for spring 2010
    yes and no. when UPC first launched 120mbps in the netherlands they announced that they would be launching 120mbps in ALL their territories by the beginning of 2010 (which Ireland was part of) so take from that what you will, BUT even if you don't count that statement as including us, when it was first officially announced for Ireland it was still going to be 120mbps and it was scheduled for the middle of 2010.

whichever way you slice it, they're still pretty late getting it rolled out. ;)

• Advertisement

yes and no. when UPC first launched 120mbps in the netherlands they announced that they would be launching 120mbps in ALL their territories by the beginning of 2010 (which Ireland was part of) so take from that what you will, BUT even if you don't count that statement as including us, when it was first officially announced for Ireland it was still going to be 120mbps and it was scheduled for the middle of 2010.

whichever way you slice it, they're still pretty late getting it rolled out. ;)

They didn't say it was scheduled, they said

Smyth said the intention is to have the 120Mbps offering in place by the middle of 2010

They didn't say it was scheduled, they said

Smyth said the intention is to have the 120Mbps offering in place by the middle of 2010
    now you're just being pedantic for the sake of argument. :rolleyes:

the head of the company publicly announced *their intention* to offer 120mbps broadband to their irish customers which is all they've ever done any of the other times they've announced the rollout. by your reasoning they've never scheduled any 100mbps or 120mbps upgrades ever, but it doesn't change the fact that UPC customers who read the news have been waiting for it to materialise for almost a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Launched today for certain parts of the network.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The cap is 500GB according to their terms and conditions. Nice that they upped but it should probably be higher. >3 times the speed of the 30Mb package but only twice the cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

€80 a month..? Not after yesterday's budget..#

EDIT: plus €80 connection fee.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

plus €80 connection fee.
    Just noticed that, a little greyed out on that page:rolleyes:
    What is that for?

koolkid wrote: »
    Just noticed that, a little greyed out on that page:rolleyes:
    What is that for?

maybe it is only available to existing customers at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

maybe it is only available to existing customers at the moment?

Only Dublin at the moment rang them new year for Cork and Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

800Mb broadband. Woooooo!!!!

800MB? Where? I know they have 1GB broadband in Singapore but I never heard of anything similar here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

jeez, I'm on the 15Mb and not worthwhile moving up to the 30Mb because of the same 250gig limit, most definitely not worth my while moving to 100Mb line with such a (relatively) low limit, would hit 500gig in less than a week given those download speeds.
    Also answers another speculation about how much the limits may move once 100Mb launched, answer = zero :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement