Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100Mb NTL

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

More importantly, let's here from someone who takes up the package, what speeds do you actually get and is it consistent...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

slave1 wrote: »
    jeez, I'm on the 15Mb and not worthwhile moving up to the 30Mb because of the same 250gig limit, most definitely not worth my while moving to 100Mb line with such a (relatively) low limit, would hit 500gig in less than a week given those download speeds.
    Also answers another speculation about how much the limits may move once 100Mb launched, answer = zero :(
    well limit is doubled not moved by zero, also faster speed is a benefit itself, doesn't mean you have to download more you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Also answers another speculation about how much the limits may move once 100Mb launched, answer = zero :(

Did you actually think a company introducing a new product would effect the workings of their current and still sold product??? :rolleyes::eek:

Shucks, hard life alright... guess your gonna have to make do with the same pathetic old highest current AUP limit in Ireland. Tough break alright. :rolleyes:

For literally years this forum has been full of whines and moans about speeds here being way behind europe and when an ISP starts to buck the trend and gives what was being asked for they get met with more whinges and moans!!! Sure they aint giving it away for free but we hardly expected them to , so cut them a little slack for being trend setters in the area of speeds at least, if they didnt bring on higher speeds how long do you think you'd be waiting for Eircom and the likes to get their act together.

I for one am glad UPC are now giving me the option to go for higher speeds if I choose to where before I couldnt literally pay for it even if I wanted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

How useful would this be? By this I mean will I ever actually be downloading anything at 100mb? Does the data even write to my hard disk that fast? I have 7200RPM hard drives. Would you need a SS drive to get these speeds?

I am currently on the 30mb package and it runs at 30mb 90% of the time, I mainly use my internet for online poker so need an extremely reliable connection with good ping times, I doubt that the 100mb is going to be any different in this regard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

hightower1 wrote: »
    I for one am glad UPC are now giving me the option to go for higher speeds if I choose to where before I couldnt literally pay for it even if I wanted to.
    ah you're not admit it, you're just glad UPC have given everyone here something to moan about so you can moan about them! :)

you went dark there for a while, i thought you have gone on your holiers or something.

i knew i'd regret putting you on ignore sooner or later, its just not been the same without you. ;)
    digiman wrote: »
    How useful would this be? By this I mean will I ever actually be downloading anything at 100mb? Does the data even write to my hard disk that fast? I have 7200RPM hard drives. Would you need a SS drive to get these speeds?

I am currently on the 30mb package and it runs at 30mb 90% of the time, I mainly use my internet for online poker so need an extremely reliable connection with good ping times, I doubt that the 100mb is going to be any different in this regard
    it's actually 100 megabits per second (there's 8 bits in a byte) which works out at 12.5 megabytes a second, so you'd only have a bottleneck if you were writing directly to a particularly slow USB drive or something like that so no need for an SSD at the moment. :)

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    ah you're not admit it, you're just glad UPC have given everyone here something to moan about so you can moan about them! :)

you went dark there for a while, i thought you have gone on your holiers or something.

i knew i'd regret putting you on ignore sooner or later, its just not been the same without you. ;)

vibe666 are you a UPC customer or what ISP do you use?

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    vibe666 are you a UPC customer or what ISP do you use?
    yes i am, why do you ask?

yes i am, why do you ask?

Just wasn't sure if they were in Navan or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

it's actually 100 megabits per second (there's 8 bits in a byte) which works out at 12.5 megabytes a second, so you'd only have a bottleneck if you were writing directly to a particularly slow USB drive or something like that so no need for an SSD at the moment. :)

Cool, dont worry I know the difference between bits and bytes, I am a telcoms enginseer after all!! Just was not sure if the hard drive could write fast enough compared to the download speed!!

err, yes we do because he told us in an earlier post. he's trialling the 100mbps UPC service with the 802.11n wireless router they gave him. :rolleyes:
    you personally? you must have a really big wireless network. :rolleyes:

you can read all the articles you like about what standards are licenced where, but if you actually had a decent amount of real world experience of wireless devices, you'd know that 802.11a is about as popular as syphilis and as such is very rarely if ever actually used and as such has only limited support.

the dominating wireless standard in Europe WAS initially 802.11b IS currently 802.11g, and is rapidly being overtaken by 802.11n as people demand faster wireless access than 802.11g can deliver, such as with 100mbps broadband. :)

I'm one of the few with 802.11a gear. I'm using it due to heavy congestion on 2.4 GHz in my area. Unfortunately my Wii and Nokia N86 don't support it.

• Advertisement

Just wasn't sure if they were in Navan or not
    yup, we have electricity and hot and cold runnin' wimmin here now too! :pac:

we actually used to just have chorus TV here for ages, then there was that whole MAN broadband project that was part funded by the EU in 2006 and we got a MAN ring right round Navan (possibly even two) that never actually seemed to go anywhere and then next thing you knew, when it actually got officially lit in 2008 (2 years late) UPC swooped in and took over and hooked us up with their triple play thingamybob. its not everywhere in navan, but a lot of navan is reasonably new and most of the newer estates were wired for chorus when they were built, at least the ones in the last 10 years or so anyways.
    digiman wrote: »
    Cool, dont worry I know the difference between bits and bytes, I am a telcoms enginseer after all!!
    aha, you'll be useful here then, stick around! :)
    Karsini wrote: »
    I'm one of the few with 802.11a gear. I'm using it due to heavy congestion on 2.4 GHz in my area. Unfortunately my Wii and Nokia N86 don't support it.
    you could probably cook your xmas turkey on my street with the amount of wifi AP's around me, so i ended up just running ethernet cable in the end as the 2.4ghz interference was driving me batty. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Colmrenault

100 Meg is on their website now...

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/

€80/month + €7.75 if you don't have upc tv already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

100 Meg is on their website now...

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/

€80/month + €7.75 if you don't have upc tv already.

steep - but also gets you 500GB FUP limit...
    Anyone know what modem is going to come with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

What are the chances that my ping numbers would get worse on a 100mb package? Also does the set-up charge apply if you're already a customer (I'm guessing yes as I read in this thread you have to be a customer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

DemoniK wrote: »
    steep - but also gets you 500GB FUP limit...

After speaking to UPC it will be THOMSON modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/hundred/
    3 hours without internet and they launch 100mbit on their website.
    Related?

jeez, I'm on the 15Mb and not worthwhile moving up to the 30Mb because of the same 250gig limit, most definitely not worth my while moving to 100Mb line with such a (relatively) low limit, would hit 500gig in less than a week given those download speeds.
    well limit is doubled not moved by zero, also faster speed is a benefit itself, doesn't mean you have to download more you know.

My point was the existing packages did not got an upgrade, a reasonable comment given they did in the past and there was speculation it could happen again along with the 100Mb package being launched
    hightower1 wrote: »
    Did you actually think a company introducing a new product would effect the workings of their current and still sold product??? :rolleyes::eek:

Shucks, hard life alright... guess your gonna have to make do with the same pathetic old highest current AUP limit in Ireland. Tough break alright. :rolleyes:

For literally years this forum has been full of whines and moans about speeds here being way behind europe and when an ISP starts to buck the trend and gives what was being asked for they get met with more whinges and moans!!! Sure they aint giving it away for free but we hardly expected them to , so cut them a little slack for being trend setters in the area of speeds at least, if they didnt bring on higher speeds how long do you think you'd be waiting for Eircom and the likes to get their act together.

Tough break, well this is 2010, I have 4 PCs, Wii, Xbox 360, Archos, Kindle, Internet TV etc etc and constant user of RTE player and it's similar programs on other sites due to lack of ability to receive any analog or digital ariel reception where I live. With a family using PC's for watching TV/educational and entertainment purposes I would welcome a higher limit because it's most annoying having this concern about excessive use in the back of the mind. From my perspective though a cost jump to €80/month is not worth a double AUP limit so I'll stay put.
    If limit is truly an unsustainable problems for others the - unadvertised - extreme package is now the obvious answer with it's true unlimited option.

I have not knocked UPC anywhere WRT their service and innovative speeds and high AUP, merely providing a comment that a sidebar speculative thought of existing packages being upgraded was also answered with the launch of UPC. I've no problem with the UPC service, this thread is about their annoying AUP debate and that up until recently they never let customers know the limit was 250gig and the ongoing lack of monitoring to let folk track themselves.
    Perhaps your 'whing' and 'slur' comments are a generalisation as I do not believe my comment was a whinge nor slur.

steep - but also gets you 500GB FAP limit...
    fixed your post. :pac:
    My point was the existing packages did not got an upgrade, a reasonable comment given they did in the past and there was speculation it could happen again along with the 100Mb package being launched
    i imagine once its more widespread they will do. its not available to all triple play customers yet, so i guess they thought there was no reason moving all the other packages around and confusing people people for no reason till it was.

i imagine they're also taking it easy on the network initially and doing lots of stress testing to make sure its all up to it, after what happened when they did the 30mbps rollout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭JDxtra

With speeds of up to 100Mb you can download a 4 minute YouTube video in less than one second!
    But it still takes you 4 minutes to watch it. They need a better example.

i imagine once its more widespread they will do. its not available to all triple play customers yet, so i guess they thought there was no reason moving all the other packages around and confusing people people for no reason till it was.

i imagine they're also taking it easy on the network initially and doing lots of stress testing to make sure its all up to it, after what happened when they did the 30mbps rollout.

Perhaps their apparant increase in AUP letters is also part of a strategy to 'pre-level' their network for the new 100Mb users demands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

A lot of the "whining" would end instantly if they just provided a simple usage meter...

I use dd-wrt on a linksys router but I still have to leave some headroom to the limit as UPC count up+down+overheads whereas all i can count is up+down.

Its unfair to aggressively defend a usage policy and not provide an easy to use monitor.

I had eircom 6 or 7 years ago and found the online monitor very useful

If they can track usage to send warning letters, they can provide a site to show your usage... its obviously not that they can't, its a policy not to make it easy

The service is good (much improved since the NTL days in my experience. I usually get about 12 meg on my 15meg line so this i can live with) but a meter is badly needed

JDxtra wrote: »
    But it still takes you 4 minutes to watch it. They need a better example.

well when you can get a brain upgrade to match their speed everything will fine :)

well when you can get a brain upgrade to match their speed everything will fine :)
    if it was a UPC brain upgrade you'd only be able to use it for a few hours a month at full speed before they gave you a lobotomy. :D

.............this thread is about their annoying AUP debate and that up until recently they never let customers know the limit was 250gig and the ongoing lack of monitoring to let folk track themselves........

ahh ok a simple error this thread is about 100mb speed there is another thread about the AUP

After speaking to UPC it will be THOMSON modem.
    should (hopefully) be the TWG870U like in the other UPC territories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

should (hopefully) be the TWG870U like in the other UPC territories.

I've been testing it and it looks like that model (although the one I have has two fold out aerials at the back that I can't see on the one you linked). I'll check for definate when at home later.

I've been testing it and it looks like that model (although the one I have has two fold out aerials at the back that I can't see on the one you linked). I'll check for definate when at home later.
    it does, they're just not in the pic on the spec sheet for some reason.

Thomson%20TWG870U%20router_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Called UPC...arguing about the 80e connection fee...told them when they will drop it,i will order the upgrade !
    dunno why i have to pay some guy to "deliver" a box ??
    i have the connection for years ! !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

it does, they're just not in the pic on the spec sheet for some reason.

Thomson%20TWG870U%20router_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg
    is that router any good? it would be nice if they offered a dual mode 2.4/5ghz variety.

also, is there any word on the current packages being automatically upgraded in the near future, when this is out of beta stage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

rolion wrote: »
    Called UPC...arguing about the 80e connection fee...told them when they will drop it,i will order the upgrade !
    dunno why i have to pay some guy to "deliver" a box ??
    i have the connection for years ! !

Don't know your situation but when they came out to my house to install it, the guy had to rip wires out of the wall that I'd dropped from the room above (the builders never put a upc box in my back room) and replace them with newer cables. They also had to change the UPC box on the wall upsatirs. Said it was something about the old wires and box not being advanced enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement