Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100Mb NTL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Don't know your situation but when they came out to my house to install it, the guy had to rip wires out of the wall that I'd dropped from the room above (the builders never put a upc box in my back room) and replace them with newer cables. They also had to change the UPC box on the wall upsatirs. Said it was something about the old wires and box not being advanced enough.

when did you get the 100Mb line installed? Did you run a speed test yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Don't know your situation but when they came out to my house to install it, the guy had to rip wires out of the wall that I'd dropped from the room above (the builders never put a upc box in my back room) and replace them with newer cables. They also had to change the UPC box on the wall upsatirs. Said it was something about the old wires and box not being advanced enough.

Lets seem some stats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

I was talking about it earlier in the thread.

Was asked to test it. They came out, did all the work, installed the box then after a week or so of pulling my hair out trying to get the 100mb they eventually told me I couldn't because I didn't have enough downstreams or something. Have been talking to them a fair bit since and they are saying I'm on an older type network (cac?????). So I cant get it until they've upgraded the network in my area. They wont tell me when it will be done.

I'm only getting somewhere between 20 and 30mb.

Fingers crossed they get it upgraded soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

slave1 wrote: »
    lack of ability to receive any analog or digital ariel reception where I live.

You get analogue for 7.75 a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

/\/ollog wrote: »
    You get analogue for 7.75 a month.
    you missed the bit where he said "aerial". ;)

• Advertisement

But s/he gets it by cable...

But s/he gets it by cable...
    no he doesn't, that's his whole point. :)

he gets his broadband by cable, not his TV. he's talking about his RTE player usage being high because he is not able to get a FTA analogue or digital TV signal with an aerial where he lives, nothing to do with UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

i don't see the point of charging installation charge €80 for an existing cutomer !
    I know it sounds silly ,after waiting so long for 100M,now i'm arguing about the installation fee !

in my case,i just need the new router and i can do it myself UNLESS they want to do it and test to assure that the speed or network is capable of taking the advertised speed !? don't think so...or,just another way of geting some paid work for some guys hardly name to ask for ! ? ?

i will cool off ,sit back and wait...
    who's first !??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

vibe666 wrote: »
    no he doesn't, that's his whole point. :)

he gets his broadband by cable, not his TV. he's talking about his RTE player usage being high because he is not able to get a FTA analogue or digital TV signal with an aerial where he lives, nothing to do with UPC.

Yep, can't get RTE reception where I am so relatively heavy user of web-based TV, BBand from UPC, Phone from UPC, Satellite from Freesat, RTE from RTE player (web)

rolion wrote: »
    in my case,i just need the new router and i can do it myself UNLESS they want to do it and test to assure that the speed or network is capable of taking the advertised speed !? don't think so...or,just another way of geting some paid work for some guys hardly name to ask for ! ? ?
    well, when they originally installed the 20mbps for me in november 2008 they needed to replace the box on the wall as it was an old one, so i don't imagine they'll need to do that again so soon.

as far as making sure you're getting the advertised speed, i doubt that is the case. the installer was happy to leave me with 5mbps (around lunchtime on a weekday) when he installed my 20mbps and i had to sort that out myself so i don't think they're too bothered about what speeds you actually get.

i have a feeling they will need to get someone out at the head end to move some stuff around there.

also, bear in mind that the €80 connection fee is a reduced fee for ordering online. no idea what the phone in price is.

lol, on a side note i just noticed a digiweb advert at the top of this browser window advertising "super fast 7mbps broadband for €47.99 for 3 months and €59.99 after that". sounds like great value, i think i'll have two! :pac:

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    Yep, can't get RTE reception where I am so relatively heavy user of web-based TV, BBand from UPC, Phone from UPC, Satellite from Freesat, RTE from RTE player (web)

7.75 of your UPC broadband covers 20 analogue television channels.
    You just need a cable and connector to bridge off your modem to your tv.

vibe666 wrote: »
    also, bear in mind that the €80 connection fee is a reduced fee for ordering online. no idea what the phone in price is.
    100mbit - "An equipment activation fee of €100 applies for each Fibre Power Broadband service ordered. Order online to receive a reduced equipment activation fee of €80."
    20 euro off.
    30mbit - "A €30 equipment activation fee applies for each Fibre Power Broadband service ordered. Orders placed online will get an online order credit of €20 for each Fibre Power Broadband service ordered. Select the self-install option online to receive a further €10 credit for each Fibre Power Broadband service ordered."

7.75 of your UPC broadband covers 20 analogue television channels.
    You just need a cable and connector to bridge off your modem to your tv.
    AFAIK, the analogue TV service is still a separate charge. there is a €7.75 charge for not having triple play but afaik this charge does not entitle you to use the analogue TV service, the signal is just there on the line when it is connected for broadband and UPC are just not able to give you broadband without the analogue TV signal being transmitted.

it's been discussed here before when someone had been using the basic analogue signal with their TV as it was just a TV socket on the wall that worked when they moved into their apartment. they got UPC broadband in a while afterwards and when the installer came to put it in, he disconnected the TV signal as they were not a TV customer, which the user didn't notice till after he was gone.

several people commented afterwards that they were not entitled to use the line for TV without a TV subscription and that analogue TV from UPC is still a chargeable service even though it's no longer advertised on their website.

maybe this is incorrect, but at the time it wasn't questioned so it seems reasonable. maybe if UPC:Jason is still following these 100mbps threads he might be able to clarify?

I have UPC standalone broadband and cannot get the analogue channels, I have tried.

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    I have UPC standalone broadband and cannot get the analogue channels, I have tried.
    pretty sure you're supposed to be able to (physically, not legally) once the line is connected for the broadband, but you'd need a splitter to get it to work afaik. pretty sure we're not supposed to discuss it tho, so i'll shut up now. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can get them. You need to split the feed going into your modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

They must have upgraded the local network or something because I'm getting savage speed now.

55mb on my wireless Imac. My kid sleeps in the room where the router is so cant test a computer hooked directly to it tonight.

140197.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

:D:D
    magnet1.gif

koolkid wrote: »
    magnet1.gif
    do UPC know that you are living in their basement? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

koolkid wrote: »
    magnet1.gif

Eh? How?

could just be an anomaly or he is actually in the UPC offices.

the upload speed isn't that great though, I've got better than that on my 30mbps. ;)

• Advertisement

I get results like that all the time.:D
    In reality my connection maxes out at 4-5 meg which is aroung 35 mbit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Had my own install on the weekend, testing the 100mb in Limerick. This is on wifi right now while the OH is on too.
    Not bad considering it was a free upgrade.....:D

750f650821.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

hightower1 wrote: »
    Had my own install on the weekend, testing the 100mb in Limerick. This is on wifi right now while the OH is on too.
    Not bad considering it was a free upgrade.....:D

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/750f650821.png

How'd you get onto the beta testers?

edit: ninja edit hightower?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sk1

upload speed 8.8mbit?i thought it was advertised with only 7m..
    so if this is normal you would have around 10m max upload which makes sense with the past speed ratios up/down 10:1 right?

FYI

My 15Mbps line was upped to 20Mbps yesterday, assume the autograde is underway

FYI

My 15Mbps line was upped to 20Mbps yesterday, assume the autograde is underway

The 8mbps was upped to 10mbps yesterday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

The 8mbps was upped to 10mbps yesterday too.

Just been upped from 5 to 8

Just been upped from 5 to 8

What price plan is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

What price plan is that?

Legacy price plan, 21 or 22 a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Does this stay at €25pm? There was some confusion about that before...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement