Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100Mb NTL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭P1erce

What about upload?

Don't get me wrong getting a 120mbit connection which is limited by most current home installations is a great thing to have.. just wish I could get upc.

Pierce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Presuming chorus does actually get this done by the end of the year what kind of price structure will they have?

This is what they charge in the Netherlands so I guess it will be a bit more than that.

http://www.upc.nl/internet/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pc8000

120 mb broadband is available in Dungarvan , http://www.cablesurf.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Instead of rolling out 100Mb broadband in homes how about sorting it so that people in all areas can get UPC broadband in the 1st place!

Can't even get UPC broadband in clondalkin. Stupid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭P1erce

Instead of rolling out 100Mb broadband in homes how about sorting it so that people in all areas can get UPC broadband in the 1st place!

They are doing a fair job. UPC would love just as much as you to be available to every house in the country but when you are not using a pre-existing infrastructure with the red tape of irish planning permission, along with we dig the road up 40 times before were finished attitude, its difficult to roll it out infrastructure.

Pierce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭smur89

Depending on which part of clondalkin you live in it should be ready for broadband in the next few weeks. Some parts were released last week..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No , they are not going to catch up with Dungarvan in 2010

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/16086/comms/upc-to-launch-100mbps-fibre-broadband-to-500k-homes
    UPC has unveiled its Fibre Power 100Mbps broadband service, which will be available to consumers from late summer and will offer HD TV and phone services and is based on the latest Docsis 3.0 infrastructure

But not all their BB enabled homes are getting 100mbits. 500k homes will allegedly be passed by the service.
    Liberty Global-owned UPC’s broadband services are capable of serving 600,000 homes in Ireland that are connected to cable. In its first quarter results. the company revealed that 110,000 of these homes are subscribing to broadband from UPC.

I think this is a jolly good response to the next generation 8mbit flummery that eircom have subjected us to in recent months all the same :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I moved from one end of Ringsend, Dublin where I had UPC broadband to the other side of Ringsend where it is not available.

The installer of the digital TV said my street was the only street not enabled yet.
    I was told by UPC over the phone that it would be later this year when the road is enabled. With that, I had to sign up for DSL(24mb) as I cannot wait on a promise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Taken from same artical.
    It is the culmination of a €330m investment in UPC’s next-generation network in Ireland and is a step closer to the 120Mbps speeds the company envisages by the end of this year.

• Advertisement

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Taken from same artical.

I assume that Dungarvan will have moved forward by then .....just like they always do.

If UPC really want to be ambitious they should for once roll out somthing faster than Casey in Dungarvan....not something faster than eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

bk wrote: »
    Yes, analogue TV service is still available outside Cork, handy for kitchen TV's, etc.

Analogue on cable is doomed. I said so years ago. Always been poor quality anyway.

One analogue channel is 20 Broadband users or about 5 HD TV channels.

Well, I'd be happy if they pegged at 120Mbps, VOD, 200+ SD channels, 20 HD channels and started flinging fibre and coax along poles into the countryside.

It's all very well for the big cities and Dungarvin. What about the rest of us?

What they are wasting on Anglo Irish would give us all fibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Dudes on Matt Coopers 'The Last Word' on TodayFM now talking about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    If UPC really want to be ambitious they should for once roll out somthing faster than Casey in Dungarvan....not something faster than eircom.

Why?

Why?

So we don't have to call them a pack of liars. EG this lie

http://www.upc.ie/pdf/UPC%20unveils%20Fibre%20Power%20internet%20with%20up%20to%20100Mb.pdf
    The fastest home Broadband speeds in Ireland, up to an incredible 100Mb

when they already have 120mbits in Dungarvan which is 20mbits faster that the UPC offering ...which is not available until
    late summer

anyway and this is different to what they said in December 2009 when they told siliconrepublic that
    speeds as high as 120Mbps will be available as early as August next year.

( when they really should have added ,"but only in Dungarvan because we won't be offering them" :D )

Even that is materially different to what they told , you guessed it JTG , siliconrepublic again this time in May 2009 when the 120mbit pimp started.....without the phrase 'up to' back then. Another gem
    we look forward to the introduction of our high-definition (HD) TV service over the coming months

Any other questions there JTG????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I take it you work for Casey there Sponge Bob?

Whats the population of Dungarvan? 17k? 46k? While 120mb is great and I wouldn't snub it (would sure like to have it) Are they rolling it out to 100,000+ customers?
    I'm no fan of UPC/NTL and I take your point about 120mb is the fastest at the mo in the Rep. for home broadband.

kerbdog wrote: »
    I take it you work for Casey there Sponge Bob?
    No connection, never even met them. Casey are but the one true legend of the BB forum.

For the 1/3 of households nationwide that will be able to get such a service from UPC by the year end this is is generally good news .....even when it is shorn of the bull**** and spin.

But they are not the fastest service in Ireland today and will not be this time next year and they probably never will be seeing as they are a copper based service :p

I'd be fairly sure Sponge Bob doesn't work for Casey. Just a fan :) Probabily can't even get their service where he lives.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I am curious as to what people make of this? from that press release.
    Due to our 1/3rd of a billion investment in our Fibre Power network we are in a unique position to
    consistently deliver unrivalled un-congested speeds and meet that demand.

My emphasis.

• Advertisement

I am more concerned at this claim
    typically bringing fibre to within 300 metres of the customer's home.

I understand that claim is only accurate in areas that have recently been upgraded, certainly after 2007. Most of their network was BB enabled prior to 2008 and I would therefore be very sceptical of that particular assertion.

The last time we bate each other :p over their contention as such I did make this point in the thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64324513&postcount=21
    People are forgetting the accidental nature of cable contention.

One segment could be serving 150 houses in Glenageary which are full of oul dears. A hog in one of the houses has the segment to themselves and gets full speed 24/7. It is impossible to guarantee there are no hogs on your segment.

Another segment could serve 150 student flats in Finglas and it could be dire.

What is true is that each segment has a total throughput of around (all customers x 47 mhz shared on entire segment or so in Docsis 2) which translates into 150 houses x 3mbits or so or 450mbits......thats to get a number out there. I stand open to correction but there is an absolute maximum carrying capacity on cable and you do share it.

That is a very crude number and of course then it depends on takeup and who your neighbours are. If they can upgrade to Docsis 3 before the hogs overwhelm them they will be OK. Resegmenting 150 houses into 3 x 50 would have an effect too.

Certain areas have notoriously large segments, eg Blanchardstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

dub45 wrote: »
    I am curious as to what people make of this? from that press release.

My emphasis.

I wonder what Eircom made of it.:):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I wonder what Eircom made of it.:):rolleyes:

They're alright they already have 'Next Generation Boadband'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

is there any time scheduler in place,so we can find out when/where it will be made available ! ?
    i think that users that have access to the 30m now will be capable of getting the new 100m,whenever will be available,i'm i right ! ? ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Come on lads some of you are so cynical. When UPC launch 100mb/120mb BB we will finally have true "next generation broadband" speeds and we will finally start catching up with the EU average.

This wouldn't be "generally good news", it will be increbile, fantastic, positive news for a change and it won't just benefit those who can get this service, but it will end up benefitting all as it will really shake up the market and force Eircom to compete.

My only complaint is I can't wait for it to happen and I can't get UPC myself.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bk wrote: »
    Come on lads some of you are so cynical. When UPC launch 100mb/120mb BB we will finally have true "next generation broadband" speeds and we will finally start catching up with the EU average.

This wouldn't be "generally good news", it will be increbile, fantastic, positive news for a change and it won't just benefit those who can get this service, but it will end up benefitting all as it will really shake up the market and force Eircom to compete.

My only complaint is I can't wait for it to happen and I can't get UPC myself.

Do you not think that the mess UPC made of implementing the recent upgrades would give anyone cause to be cynical about their technical competence?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

dub45 wrote: »
    Do you not think that the mess UPC made of implementing the recent upgrades would give anyone cause to be cynical about their technical competence?

When I got the 30Mb upgrade my speeds dropped for a few days and then were great and still are great after that. The only other problems I've had are with their crappy modem router and I've sorted that. My parents signed up for the 15Mb package and the only issue they had was with the rubbish modem router not allowing one of the laptops to connect. Luckily I managed to sort that as well. My brother signed up for the 15Mb package and had crappyish speeds for a few days but it was sorted soon after. Yeah, people had problems with the upgrade and I feel sorry for those people (I'd be pretty pissed if I was one of the unlucky ones) but a lot didn't or at least didn't have them for very long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

120MB broadband for residential customers? Who realistically needs that much download speed?

Instead of offering fantastically high speeds to 10% of the population why don't they (government, ISP's, etc.) concentrate on getting decent broadband to the thousands of people still on dial up or 1MB?

I really feel sorry for people in rural areas struggling with dial up and mobile middleband and pissing themselves when a fixed wireless operator comes in with 1MB with all its variables and problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Any mention of what download caps will be on this 100Mb package?

• Advertisement

Instead of offering fantastically high speeds to 10% of the population why don't they (government, ISP's, etc.) concentrate on getting decent broadband to the thousands of people still on dial up or 1MB?

It will be available to well over 10% of the population, 30% this year and perhaps as many as 50% by the end of 2012. UPC won't tell us.

They have BB enabled a lot of their cabled towns but by no means all of them, I can think of Ennis and Ballinasloe Buncrana Kilcullen New Ross Athy and Tipperary which have no BB and before UPC took them over they abandoned Nenagh and Castlebar in the past 10 years. Other towns like Mullingar have BB in parts and only very recently.

UPC have by no means finished Dublin where they started to rollout in around 1998 in Malahide and Tallaght. Nor will they finish it this year

http://www.upc.ie/media/2010/1/20/map_dublin.png
    I really feel sorry for people in rural areas struggling with dial up and mobile middleband and pissing themselves when a fixed wireless operator comes in with 1MB with all its variables and problems.

Those areas suffer from a combination of lethal policy failure by government, market indifference, useless and at times downright corrupt regulation and from the laws of physics. But these problems predate UPC.

I personally suspect that UPC will stop their BB rollout without ever completely upgrading their cable network and will never reach 50% of homes. Just a theory I have :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement