Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100Mb NTL

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I really feel sorry for people in rural areas struggling with dial up and mobile middleband and pissing themselves when a fixed wireless operator comes in with 1MB with all its variables and problems.

If they want everything us City dwellers get, perhaps they should move to a city.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

fayer wrote: »
    Any mention of what download caps will be on this 100Mb package?

A brand new product no doubt "Unlimited PLUS!!!''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    UPC have by no means finished Dublin where they started to rollout in around 1998 in Malahide and Tallaght. Nor will they finish it this year

http://www.upc.ie/media/2010/1/20/map_dublin.png

That map has Ringsend in Dublin as completed when in fact it is not as I can't get it there! (see my earlier post)

If they had an address line checker on their website, it would help clarify if their BB is actually available in a specific area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭smur89

gurramok wrote: »
    I moved from one end of Ringsend, Dublin where I had UPC broadband to the other side of Ringsend where it is not available.

The installer of the digital TV said my street was the only street not enabled yet.
    I was told by UPC over the phone that it would be later this year when the road is enabled. With that, I had to sign up for DSL(24mb) as I cannot wait on a promise.

as a general rule, don't listen to the installers about these kind of things, they don't know what they're talking about and tend to get us into trouble giving out random made up dates for bb/voip to be released in the area. Your best bet is to email the rebuild office and ask them when it's due to be available.. We have the 2010 upgrade plan in front ofbus and would only take a minute to check for you

That map has Ringsend in Dublin as completed when in fact it is not as I can't get it there! (see my earlier post)

If they had an address line checker on their website, it would help clarify if their BB is actually available in a specific area.

some parts of an area which was planned to be upgraded can be blocked by residents refusing the cable across their house. Sometimes (usually) these issues are resolved by rerouting the cable or talking to the resident causing the problem and convincing them to allow the cable.

Othertimes these issues are permanent and will not be resolved in the near future.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info smur89. Whats the email address for the rebuild office(pm if needs be), i can't find it on the UPC website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

dub45 wrote: »
    A brand new product no doubt "Unlimited PLUS!!!''
    How about "Infinity plus one" ?:)

Once this product is rolled out, I think I'll finally give Eircom the heave-ho. I'm on their turbo product, but am stuck at 12mb, I was on the 15mb profile for a while but it kept losing sync (crap line stats)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

What about the "What services are available at this address" lookup on the broadband -> more info pages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

If is true that they will get 100M installed then i see a major problem:most of our routers (not cable modems) are not capable of routing more than 20-25M at the most...
    Do we have a list of routers (proper,not made on some ships)that will process this speed,along with other security services enabled on the box !?

lynchie wrote: »
    What about the "What services are available at this address" lookup on the broadband -> more info pages?

Didn't see that checker before, is that new?

Anyway, its correct as it says "Sorry we are unable to confirm what services are available at your address. Please call 1890 940 624 for assistance " for the new address.

When I put in my old address where I had received BB, it comes up as available so accuracy there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Lots of routers will do 100Mbps on ethernet Cat5 cable, Some even 300Mbps on 1Gbps Ethernet. Forget about 100Mbps even on 250Mbps 802.11n, unless you are in spitting distance of WiFi Base and the only user.

My totally ancient router has 108Mbps Turbo G WiFi on 802.11a/b/g internal PCI adaptor, manages sustained 30Mbps on WiFi. It does a real 100Mbps just about on its wired ethernet ports though.

Typically I have 7Mbps to 8Mbps Broadband. I have temporarilly had 22Mbps at home and had 100Mbps in office. Above 6Mbps there is not much difference for most sites, the main advantage of 100Mbps is if you have a family of 4 or 5 busy users. Maybe also next year when UPC offer VOD as that needs maybe only 5Mbps to 7Mbps average for HD, but for decent HD needs to peak at over 25Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cbr954

smur89 wrote: »
    as a general rule, don't listen to the installers about these kind of things, they don't know what they're talking about and tend to get us into trouble giving out random made up dates for bb/voip to be released in the area. Your best bet is to email the rebuild office and ask them when it's due to be available.. We have the 2010 upgrade plan in front ofbus and would only take a minute to check for you

any sign of Bray being upgraded?

Thanks.

cbr954 wrote: »
    any sign of Bray being upgraded?

Thanks.

Not this year, I heard it's in the plans for 2011, but I won't know next years schedule until November or December

• Registered Users Posts: 48 apm0003

smur89 wrote: »
    some parts of an area which was planned to be upgraded can be blocked by residents refusing the cable across their house. Sometimes (usually) these issues are resolved by rerouting the cable or talking to the resident causing the problem and convincing them to allow the cable.

Othertimes these issues are permanent and will not be resolved in the near future.

I live in Ringsend. Our street (a small cul-de sac) was completely re-cabled a couple of years ago. According to the address checker on the UPC website, all the houses at the far side of our street are able to get all UPC services but the houses on my side of the street can only get TV. I can see the cable is routed from the far side of the street to my side.

Does that suggest there is some weird restriction to do with our side of the street ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Thanks for the info smur89. Whats the email address for the rebuild office(pm if needs be), i can't find it on the UPC website.

Smur98, can you pass on the info to myself as well please?

Thanks,
    LK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TheMastero

Hi all just said i would add my bit to this thread as im with UPC a long time now. Im on 30mb at the mo in Limerick and lovin it :cool:

I have a friend that is a tech guy for UPC ma dhas been there a long time even since it was called westward cable years ago (im not that old i remember do) and he has told me 100% that they are going to b i have now offering 100mbs soon he did not give me a date dont think he knew but he said he knew they were def going to 100mb, I just cant wait for it yup.... I would be more then happy with the 30mb and give me 10mb up stream with it. Like 100mb is wicked n all. Heh you could run a server ffs but whats the upstream gonna be?? Thats what i would love to know and id nearly be 98% sure it will be a unlimited service as there 30mb is now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

30mbits is not unlimited, no UPC package is bar the unpublished extreme ones they throw the hogs on.

30mbits is not unlimited, no UPC package is bar the unpublished extreme ones they throw the hogs on.

Yes it is unlimited i have it and i know lol. What you mean by they throw the hogs on? That they slow it down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I question their ability to deliver this.
    I have the 5mb line which was 5mb for the first day I had installed, ever since then I cannot download above 3mb, I wouldnt consider myself to be a bandwith hog but I feel it is pretty pathetic performance. It NEVER EVER goes above 3mb now, day or night , any day of the week.
    If they cannot deliver 5mb, how can they deliver 100mb? I'm in Ringsend, Dublin.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Swear u cant get 3mb like 300kB/s? Im on the 30mb in limerick and i can get the full 3Mb/s download on somethings depends on the source. Ya sometimes it can be slow but there are ways around it iv found :P But i never get really bad speed its always at least going at 1Mb/s but i can hit 3 no problem and even on one torrent file i can.

• Advertisement

Have a look :Dhttp://i43.tinypic.com/332mhif.jpg

I Always get that speed :) Must just be the Limerick line is better :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

TheMastero wrote: »
    Have a look :Dhttp://i43.tinypic.com/332mhif.jpg

I Always get that speed :) Must just be the Limerick line is better :P

Your link shows with 71 seeds and 1 peer you should be able to max out your connection especially if the torrent is in rar file format. However, if it was the other way round, that is 1 seed and 71 peers, the torrent would crawl.
    ;)

Ok ya im getting it from a lot of seeds so? Its just to show that my line can max out the 30mb thats all i was trying to do. Anyway i can get my connect maxed out on a single fxp server connection too. Im just saying im happy with it :D And the file was not in rar`s :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

dub45 wrote: »
    Do you not think that the mess UPC made of implementing the recent upgrades would give anyone cause to be cynical about their technical competence?

Any comments about Eircom from you.....at all?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

LOL, UPC have their new brandname on the streets of Galway now. They seem to have scrubbed a section of pavement clean with the letters UPC while leaving the rest of it as dirty as it was before.

It looks hilarious given all the ingrained dirt around it :)

TheMastero wrote: »
    Ok ya im getting it from a lot of seeds so? Its just to show that my line can max out the 30mb thats all i was trying to do. Anyway i can get my connect maxed out on a single fxp server connection too. Im just saying im happy with it :D And the file was not in rar`s :P

I have the 30Mb UPC broadband as well and it is great! You are lucky that you get torrents that seed that well;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I have the 30Mb UPC broadband as well and it is great! You are lucky that you get torrents that seed that well;)

Mine is working perfeclty!! Always getting 3.5mb/sec

Can't wait for 100mb from ntl, Wonder what the price will be. As long as its under 70-80 i dont mind getting it.

Cant WAIT!!

Thor wrote: »
    Mine is working perfeclty!! Always getting 3.5mb/sec

Can't wait for 100mb from ntl, Wonder what the price will be. As long as its under 70-80 i dont mind getting it.

Cant WAIT!!

On the radio last week, the UPC honcho mentioned prices around €70 when he was pushed by Matt Cooper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

LOL, UPC have their new brandname on the streets of Galway now. They seem to have scrubbed a section of pavement clean with the letters UPC while leaving the rest of it as dirty as it was before.

It looks hilarious given all the ingrained dirt around it :)

Can you post a pic. of this??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Hi all, according to my bill/package on myupc I have 3Mb broadband. I see 3Mb is on longer part of their offering since the arrival of the 'fibrepower'. 5Mb is now listed at the same price as I am paying for 3Mb. Anyone know if one gets upgraded automatically or?.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement