Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100Mb NTL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Hi all, according to my bill/package on myupc I have 3Mb broadband. I see 3Mb is on longer part of their offering since the arrival of the 'fibrepower'. 5Mb is now listed at the same price as I am paying for 3Mb. Anyone know if one gets upgraded automatically or?.

I rang them and they upgraded immediately, I think you effectively sign on for 1 year contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

stanley1 wrote: »
    I rang them and they upgraded immediately, I think you effectively sign on for 1 year contract.

You mean they answered a call?. Unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭smur89

apm0003 wrote: »
    I live in Ringsend. Our street (a small cul-de sac) was completely re-cabled a couple of years ago. According to the address checker on the UPC website, all the houses at the far side of our street are able to get all UPC services but the houses on my side of the street can only get TV. I can see the cable is routed from the far side of the street to my side.

Does that suggest there is some weird restriction to do with our side of the street ??

it might suggest that, It may also be that one side of the road falls into a certain ring nodal boundary and the other side is in a different ring. One ring may be upgraded while the other one is not... again, all depends on the address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭smur89

LeperKing wrote: »
    Smur98, can you pass on the info to myself as well please?

Thanks,
    LK.

The info would vary depending on your address, if you're in an upgraded area you would have received a card notifying you of the works etc, the email address on this card is the one you would need to get in touch with regarding any rebuild related works.. Anything outside rebuild areas or not related to rebuild works would need to go through the usual (awful) UPC call centre or their email address..

.. That's why I can't really give out the email address on the forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Nex

100MB for €70 per month. That's a pretty good price tbh. I wonder if it will be available everyone who's capable of receiving Fibre Power Broadband in a UPC area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    LOL, UPC have their new brandname on the streets of Galway now. They seem to have scrubbed a section of pavement clean with the letters UPC while leaving the rest of it as dirty as it was before.

It looks hilarious given all the ingrained dirt around it :)
    Saw the same thing on South Mall Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

weeder wrote: »
    Lads, a lad i know is claiming that NTL are upgrading his 20Mb line to 100Mb after christmas free of charge and that he heard from an "inside source" so I immidiately call bull**** but I was just wondering are these plans actually in place?as i just laughed at him

I wonder are you refering to me :rolleyes:

I was pretty spot on. The initial word I got was that we would be seeing 100mb packages in the country being rolled outalongside a number of other european countries.

This was a deal aimed at absolutely smashing every ISP out of the water. UPC felt however that in ireland, the competition was futile, and at the time the impending eircom changes with piratebay and music record snuggling, would work to their advantage. There was also the impending closure of BT, so without launching the 100mb packages and the infrastructure, in alot of areas,the packages were scaled down, to still reflect better value for money and the best packages around, but to hold something i nreserve incase something should pop up they needed to combat.

Afraid I cant reveal my source, but he is a pretty top dog, and has always been giving me the scoop well ahead of the announcements so I could make better informed decisions.

I dont know if there has been any announcement officially, but I would imagine we will see 100mb packages here from upc pretty soon.

I've been told my infrastructure outside my house is fully capable of sending in 100mb speeds into my house, and the recent installation of Cat6 wires through my house means I'm pretty much set for any major upgrade like this.

Unmsure if I'll jump straight to the 100mb package, I'm being told there some possible package shuffles coming again, with my 30mb package likely to go to 50mb for a nominal increase, if not free.

I doubt we will see it this year, after the initial upgrades at the start of the year, the collapse of BT and the ever impending collapse of eircom, there really isnt any great competition for UPC.

Market competition is the reason we are so far behind, most other countries have such firece BB comeptition they are constantly rolling out new packages and the likes. UPC in central europe is a prime example. However here the market is infantile and stiffled. UPC bringing 30mb was enough to blow the monopoly hat right off eircoms head, and having the capability of a hefty 100mb in reserve, theres only one winner here.

I hope they keep with their overall european policy of prividing the best speeds available when possible, so we can see100mb packages soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

100MB within the next 3 months Doc.
    Announced about a month back.

Only in certain areas at first, and it's a seperate package to the current 30MB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

100MB within the next 3 months Doc.
    Announced about a month back.

Only in certain areas at first, and it's a seperate package to the current 30MB.

Cheers for that, pretty much stopped following BB info when I got my 30mb package :)

Got word that my house is elligible for this upgrade, but that financial cost might strain out of my budget.

I'm more focused on getting the house wired first and take it from there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I am slightly confused! My dad has UPC bb but his max speed never exceeds 350-355kb/s. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

py2006 wrote: »
    I am slightly confused! My dad has UPC bb but his max speed never exceeds 350-355kb/s. :(
    don't be confused, be informed. ;)

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/

you dad could have one of the three available packages (or even one of the older, slower packages if he hasn't run up to get the upgrades).

it also depends a lot on how you're testing his download speed. speedtest sites are at best vague and at worst totally unreliable, despite how much people tend to rely on them as an accurate gauge of their broadband speed.

find out what package he's on and we can go from there.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Cheers for that, pretty much stopped following BB info when I got my 30mb package :)
    join the club. :)

took them a while to get it up to speed, but i'm loving it so far and it's pretty much been bang on as far as speeds go since the end of June.

i'm looking forward to the 100mbps upgrades, rumour has it they're still on for next month, but if it's anything like every other upgrade they've done, we'll never know what'll happen till it actually does.

as for what package i get, it'll depend very much on how work goes. at the moment, i'm contracting so broadband is an essential business tool and is 100% expensible, but i might be in line for a permanent job which would curb my spending somewhat if i couldn't get it back.

hi-ho tho, 50mbps would still be pretty tasty, although i think i'd pay the 10 quid upgrade charge just to see what 100mbps was like for a month. :D

the biggest thing is going to be the FUP. its not going to go down well if they still keep the FUP at 250gb like they did with the 30mbps upgrade because that's just not sportsman like. :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    don't be confused, be informed. ;)

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/

you dad could have one of the three available packages (or even one of the older, slower packages if he hasn't run up to get the upgrades).

it also depends a lot on how you're testing his download speed. speedtest sites are at best vague and at worst totally unreliable, despite how much people tend to rely on them as an accurate gauge of their broadband speed.

find out what package he's on and we can go from there.

Well he hasn't a clue, he just said the basic package as he is not a big net user!! :rolleyes: Might get him to upgrade, pay it myself if I have to!

Well he hasn't a clue, he just said the basic package as he is not a big net user!! :rolleyes: Might get him to upgrade, pay it myself if I have to!

Well 300-350 kbps as you described would be the 3MB pacakage.
    It was the basic one and if he hasn't called them that's what he'd still be on.
    He has to call up or go online to go from 3 to 5 for free AFAIK.

5MB will still only give you around 500kbps download speeds however.

Well 300-350 kbps as you described would be the 3MB pacakage.
    It was the basic one and if he hasn't called them that's what he'd still be on.
    He has to call up or go online to go from 3 to 5 for free AFAIK.

5MB will still only give you around 500kbps download speeds however.

Paid for his subscription to upgrade to 30mb :D

Should make a fair difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Is there been some sort of lauch date for this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

in August.. not too long now as per a tweet from UPC answering my query...

MartMax wrote: »
    in August.. not too long now as per a tweet from UPC answering my query...
    did they just say august or is there something else worth re-tweeting here? :)

don't forget, if you plan on hammering the crap out of the 30mbps connection you WILL easily break the hidden 250gb FUP (unFair Usage Policy) that UPC actively enforce by bumping up their 'unlimited' customers to their actual (also hidden) unlimited package (still 30mbps) for twice the price of the regular package.

also, it's a combined total of what you download plus what you upload so if you were torrenting and downloaded 150gb in a month and uploaded 100gb then that's your 250gb limit done right there until the 1st of the following month. :(

it sounds like a lot, but it's really not if you're a heavy internet user, 150gb in a month is only 5gb per day which is feck all when you could download that much in 20-30 minutes.

they do say they will warn you 3 times before bumping you to the extreme package, but it doesn't always seem to happen, so just be wary.

if you are only connecting one PC to it then a desktop app that will monitor your bandwidth usage and warn you if you go over a set limit in a set amount of time.

if you use multiple PC's then i'd highly recommend you get a router that keeps a log of your bandwidth as UPC don't provide anything for you to keep an eye on your usage but will happily punish you if YOU don't and end up going over.

good luck. ;)

• Advertisement

I want to get this when it launches. It's almost August now and still no talk of dates. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Dark Nex wrote: »
    I want to get this when it launches. It's almost August now and still no talk of dates. Any ideas?

Well we can make it all the way through to the 29th of august and still hear nothing.

The info was just that its going to begin rolling out in august, That doesn't mean everywhere will have it straight away, As long as 1 person gets it august they aren't behind schedule.

Doesn't limerick already have it now, Meaning they are well on time to BEGIN rolling it out.

Which do people think makes more sense?

Getting the 30mb package installed now and then upgrading to 100mb when it arrives

OR

Waiting for the 100mb package and getting it installed

Is there any problem with getting 30mb and then upgrading a month later?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 BDW

If you want the 30 now then yes it makes perfect sense to upgrade now.

Otherwise just wait until they release 100Mbit (I actually believe it'll be 120Mbit for those on the true unlimited package and 60Mbit for those on the normal current 30Mbit, judging by upc.nl Although I Have noticed they are now doing a 90Mbit package.)

Assuming they do what they did in January there you will be forced to resign the 12 month contract on upgrading to 100Mbit so realistically unless you really want the 30Mbit now you'll save a bit of money by waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I asked them the other day and was told that it would be rolled out to the business users first and then to the home users. Time likely to be around two months from now, depending on how the business users hold up when its rolled out there.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Dark Nex wrote: »
    Which do people think makes more sense?

Getting the 30mb package installed now and then upgrading to 100mb when it arrives

OR

Waiting for the 100mb package and getting it installed

Is there any problem with getting 30mb and then upgrading a month later?

There's no problem upgrading, downgrading is another matter.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Supercell wrote: »

Only thing to note is it is a different cable modem as it is Docsis 3.0 so that would need to be swapped

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

Guys I called UPC 2 days ago and the girl there said they don't have a date for the 100mb yet but rumored around October!, don't like the sound of that any body know more than rumors

kamin99 wrote: »
    Guys I called UPC 2 days ago and the girl there said they don't have a date for the 100mb yet but rumored around October!, don't like the sound of that any body know more than rumors
    Elvis is still alive and working in my local supervalu. :D

going by what Supercell says, i think it might be time for me to move to one of the business packages then. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Supercell wrote: »

What are the problems with downgrading?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement