Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100Mb NTL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Downgrade fee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I was told the Docsis 3 modems were due out last week, presumably with 100Mbps. Anyone heard anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

The-Rigger wrote: »
    What are the problems with downgrading?

Any package you upgrade to, you have to keep for one month, before downgrading, and then you have to pay a €10 dg fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Any one have a date for this and where ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

BDW wrote: »

Otherwise just wait until they release 100Mbit (I actually believe it'll be 120Mbit for those on the true unlimited package and 60Mbit for those on the normal current 30Mbit, judging by upc.nl Although I Have noticed they are now doing a 90Mbit package.)

So we might actually get something extra for the €80 a month that they charge for Broadband Extreme (the hidden package), other than real unlimited downloads.

What kind of upload speeds are there with 100Mbit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

So we might actually get something extra for the €80 a month that they charge for Broadband Extreme (the hidden package), other than real unlimited downloads.

What kind of upload speeds are there with 100Mbit?

I asked them on twitter and they told me 10mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

So the upload speed will be faster than eircoms next generation broadband download speed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Getting some strange results from speedtest.net tonight,normally get 20 megs
    wireless and the full 30 wired,but now on my Samsung Netbook,wireless I get,

938117139.png

And

938122260.png

The first check I did was on UPC's own site and that gave me a reading of
    60.01,but didn't take to much notice at the time.

And again

938143903.png

And up And up it goes,where it stops only UPC knows

939177509.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

thefishone wrote: »
    Getting some strange results from speedtest.net tonight,normally get 20 megs
    wireless and the full 30 wired,but now now my Samsung Netbook,wireless I get,

The first check I did was on UPC's own site and that gave me a reading of
    60.01,but didn't take to much notice at the time.

Server in London though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I'm guessing it'll be 120mb instead of 100mb.
    Every speed test I've done confirms this speed that I've been having for the past month and a half, and I posted about it back then too.
    938149632.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Spear wrote: »
    Server in London though?

Yes,some engineers,if we can call them that,in UPC said to use the London server.Although I should say I live about a four minute walk from the UPC base in Limerick,if that has anything to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Where do you guys live, if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

some UPC territories in europe were upgraded to 120mbps, but others only got 100mbps. not that it would make a huge amount of difference, but i guess its whatever works for them in each individual market.

it'll be a while before eircom catch up anyway whichever they give us. :)

when they first announced it, they said 120mbps, but in the most recent announcement they had dialled it back to 100mbps, so who knows.

EDIT: ooh look, they've updated their TOC

(go to www.upc.ie and click on broadband and then the 30mbps and then click on the conditions tab)
    Conditions

The UPC Fibre Power Broadband service is only available to enabled homes. Installation is carried out by a third party installer. UPC will not be responsible for the installation. A €30 equipment activation fee applies to all orders, orders placed online will get an online order credit of €30. A standalone charge of €7.75 applies when not purchasing our TV service. A wireless router is included with the Fibre Power Broadband 15Mb, 30Mb and 100Mb packs. Equipment remains property of UPC. If a customer downgrades their 15Mb, 30Mb or 100Mb service within the first 4 months of installation they will be charged the €49.99 installation fee for the wireless router. All services are billed monthly and are payable by Direct Debit. A €3 charge applies to all bills for non-direct debit customers. A €10 Downgrade Administration Fee will be applied anytime you downgrade your service. Subject to a minimum contract period of twelve months for all services. A cancellation fee will apply should you cancel your service during the first twelve months. Monthly data usage is capped at 120GB for Fibre Power Broadband 8Mb, there is no monthly usage cap for Fibre Power Broadband 15Mb, 30Mb or 100Mb. All broadband services are subject to our acceptable usage policy. Average expected broadband speeds at peak times are 8Mb, 15Mb, 30Mb and 100Mb. Broadband speeds are the maximum possible speeds only. Actual speeds will vary depending on internet traffic, the sites you visit and other factors. As our Fibre Power Broadband service is provided over the UPC fibre power cable you do not require an eircom landline to access this service. Prices include VAT. Residential use only. eircom rates taken from www.eircom.ie.

so I guess we actually know what we're getting then. (effectively feck all, unless you're minted and can pay for it)

i still think there should be something in the middle there, it's a big gap and they're basically leaving everyone on 30mbps and giving them an option to upgrade to 100mbps at (a probably massively expensive) extra cost so we've all been here getting excited (and arguing) about what we're going to get upgraded to and for the vast majority of us the answer is 'absolutely feck all'.

nice one upc, way to go and 'offer' 100mbps broadband without actually giving anything new to anyone unless they pay through the nose for it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bomber6

Anita Blow wrote: »
    I'm guessing it'll be 120mb instead of 100mb.
    Every speed test I've done confirms this speed that I've been having for the past month and a half, and I posted about it back then too.
    938149632.png
    Holy crap! If I can get that in Limerick this year I don't think I'll be able to go home at weekends anymore (Stupid o2 broadband with its ~0Mb speeds every evening ::mutter mutter:: :mad:)
    I had thought UL had it as good as it got, 25MB around the clock. We could only use Rapidshare every 5 days because of the 5GB added each day up to 25GB download cap :rolleyes:

Out of curiousity, how does UPC hold up with multiple users at once. I assume the connection scales accordingly? I don't care so long as Xbox Live doesn't stop when someone else uses the connection

vibe666 wrote: »
    some UPC territories in europe were upgraded to 120mbps, but others only got 100mbps. not that it would make a huge amount of difference, but i guess its whatever works for them in each individual market.

it'll be a while before eircom catch up anyway whichever they give us. :)

when they first announced it, they said 120mbps, but in the most recent announcement they had dialled it back to 100mbps, so who knows.

also bear in mind that if you're currently paying for the 30mbps product, unless you specifically ask for the 100mbps and pay for it (which is likely to be anywhere between 70-90 euro) you're going to be upgraded to either 50mbps or 60mbps at around the same price, going by how its gone in their other territories.

EDIT: ooh look, they've updated their TOC

(go to www.upc.ie and click on broadband and then the 30mbps and then click on the conditions tab)

so I guess we actually know what we're getting then. :D

i still think there should be something in the middle there, it's a big gap and they're basically leaving everyone on 30mbps and giving them an option to upgrade to 100mbps at extra cost so we've all been here getting excited (and arguing) about what we're going to get upgraded to and for the vast majority of us the answer is 'absolutely feck all'.

nice one upc, way to go and 'offer' 100mbps broadband without actually giving anything new to anyone unless they pay through the nose for it. :(

Nice find!

Bomber6 wrote: »
    Out of curiousity, how does UPC hold up with multiple users at once. I assume the connection scales accordingly? I don't care so long as Xbox Live doesn't stop when someone else uses the connection
    i'm on the 30mbps connection now and i can torrent the crap out of it and still use it to work from home via vpn and remote desktop and not even notice the difference.

you'll want to use a decent router tho, the cisco one UPC provide is pants. you need to put it into bridge mode to effectively just use it as just a modem and add your own router to it and manage your LAN with that.

I have a wireless n router connected to the UPC modem - does sticking it in bridge mode make a difference? What exactly does it do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Hey vibe666, what kind of price range will the 100MB be around?

it would be nice to have a high end middle package like 60Mb/6Mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

so I guess we actually know what we're getting then. (effectively feck all, unless you're minted and can pay for it
    they're basically leaving everyone on 30mbps and giving them an option to upgrade to 100mbps at (a probably massively expensive) extra cost so we've all been here getting excited (and arguing) about what we're going to get upgraded to

Are you actually serious! Your having a whinge because YOU thought it would be a free upgrade , no one in UPC ever said it was and YOU wrongly assumed! One thinks UPC handing out free upgrades has someone turned into a spoiled child.

Eircom customers give out about poor service.... UPC customer whinge about not getting free stuff THIS TIME as opposed to the last 3 free speed increases.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek::eek:

In fact lets break your comment down...
    they're basically leaving everyone on 30mbps
    Which is currently the fastest residential widespread broadband in the country which you upgraded to FOR NO EXTRA CHARGE
    and giving them an option to upgrade to 100mbps at (a probably massively expensive)

Which will be the fastest residential bb connection avail in Ireland, and shock horror you'll have to pay for it! For someone who spends and inordinate amount of time here going on about how ISP's and the broadband situation in Ireland is terrible compared to Europe you then go and give out when an ISP actually does bring us close to being in line with the continent standard and its not free to upgrade..... nothing is going to please the likes of you.

hightower1 wrote: »
    Are you actually serious! Your having a whinge because YOU thought it would be a free upgrade , no one in UPC ever said it was and YOU wrongly assumed! One thinks UPC handing out free upgrades has someone turned into a spoiled child.

Eircom customers give out about poor service.... UPC customer whinge about not getting free stuff THIS TIME as opposed to the last 3 free speed increases.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek::eek:

I do believe he meant the fact there is no 60mb package in there terms and conditions. Meaning we either shell out for the 100mb or stick with 30mb. Seems a little harsh.

As ot stands with the other countries that upc are supplying broadband to. They have either a 50-60mb package, Some with even a 90mb. So they have more options availible to them.

My guess is the terms and conditions we see here now are just for those effected by the 100mb in limerick and it will be updated later to include more packages, Once the officaly launch it everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

you'll want to use a decent router tho, the cisco one UPC provide is pants. you need to put it into bridge mode to effectively just use it as just a modem and add your own router to it and manage your LAN with that.

Which router do you recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Is there any update on when the 100mb will be released for the rest of the country?

hightower1 wrote: »
    you just don't know when to give up do you?

you can keep arguing all you want, but until you actually have a valid point it's not even going to be sporting of me to keep shooting you down so you might want to give up now before it gets too bad. :rolleyes:

my point is, i've been closely watching all the other European UPC territories that have already been upgraded and in each one, there is a 50-60mbps package that 20-30mbps users were upgraded to for around the same price because it's a comfortable bump up in speed and a good mid-way point between 100mbps and the lower packages.

maybe they just haven't finished updating their packages yet, what it looks like they've chosen to do here is to make a big fanfare about bringing 100mbps consumer broadband to ireland to wipe the floor with eircom etc. once and for all, but are actually only making faster than 30mbps speeds available to anyone with a ton of cash to drop every month and leave everyone else where they've been since march.

personally, i'm happy with my 30mbps as it is aside from the AUP and needing a higher upload its fine for my usage but i'm guessing there's going to be a lot of unhappy people here who thought they were getting a speed bump this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

i'm guessing there's going to be a lot of unhappy people here who thought they were getting a speed bump this month.

Were people really expecting a 70mb "bump" for free?

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Were people really expecting a 70mb "bump" for free?

Well word is that the 100mb package is going to cost €70-80.

So imagine having to pay €50 for 30mb and then say €75 for a three times the speed connection, It only makes sense to push the 30mb to 60mb and charge the same and then charge €70-80 for the 100mb.

Edit** Just to note, Its what upc are/is doing in other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Thor wrote: »
    Well word is that the 100mb package is going to cost €70-80.

So imagine having to pay €50 for 30mb and then say €75 for a three times the speed connection, It only makes sense to push the 30mb to 60mb and charge the same and then charge €70-80 for the 100mb.

... and in line with other international UPC packages.

Damo9090 wrote: »
    ... and in line with other international UPC packages.
    eggsackery :)

nobody is asking for anything that they haven't already rolled out in half a dozen of their other territories where they have already deployed 100/120mbps broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Doesnt it make sense they mention the 15 and 30mb packages in there terms still because they are active package. If we get upgraded they will change it to the new speeds. Like they canr just change the 30mb to a 50/60mb in there as it would invalidate the terms already in place for the 30mb because there would be no mention of it.

Just a guess though.

Limericks wrote: »
    Doesnt it make sense they mention the 15 and 30mb packages in there terms still because they are active package. If we get upgraded they will change it to the new speeds. Like they canr just change the 30mb to a 50/60mb in there as it would invalidate the terms already in place for the 30mb because there would be no mention of it.

Just a guess though.

Thats why they make you sign a new contract for 12 months when you get the upgrade, Meaning the new contract will have the new terms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Thor wrote: »
    Thats why they make you sign a new contract for 12 months when you get the upgrade, Meaning the new contract will have the new terms.

Yeah that is true but my point was directed at the fact the terms only contain 15mb, 30mb, and 100mb. because if they where to change the 15 and 30 to something higher before the product was released then the part of the terms about paying a fee to downgrade within the first 4 months (and others) would mean nothing to the 15mb and 30mb packages.

I hope I am making sense, I am very tired right now :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement