Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100Mb NTL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Limericks wrote: »
    Yeah that is true but my point was directed at the fact the terms only contain 15mb, 30mb, and 100mb. because if they where to change the 15 and 30 to something higher before the product was released then the part of the terms about paying a fee to downgrade within the first 4 months (and others) would mean nothing to the 15mb and 30mb packages.

I hope I am making sense, I am very tired right now :P

I get ya, It makes sense from them not to change the terms pre-maturally, I made that point a few posts up myself, I believe the change is just for the people in limerick, Which have 100mb broadband.

We will see the change in the terms later once they announce the new packages for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Thor wrote: »
    We will see the change in the terms later once they announce the new packages for everyone.
    fingers crossed. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

Well word is that the 100mb package is going to cost €70-80.

So imagine having to pay €50 for 30mb and then say €75 for a three times the speed connection, It only makes sense to push the 30mb to 60mb and charge the same and then charge €70-80 for the 100mb.

Edit** Just to note, Its what upc are/is doing in other countries.

I see.
    So you're saying they'd change all their packages to something like 8, 25, 50, 100?
    I was just thinking a 70mb bump would be far too much to ask of anyone, even Jesus.
    But a 20mb bump would be doable.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I see.
    So you're saying they'd change all their packages to something like 8, 25, 50, 100?
    I was just thinking a 70mb bump would be far too much to ask of anyone, even Jesus.
    But a 20mb bump would be doable.

Well i think it would be unfair to charge us the same they charge everyone one else for a lower mb package(Although things like that happen alot in ireland).

UPC have been fair with the prices in all countries and have charged the same for every package.

So it would make sense from them to do it here aswell.

well, i hope i'm wrong and they do right by everyone. :)

hopefully as someone mentioned the new T&C's might just be for the limerick trial users, but i have a nasty feeling we're gonna get the shaft. :eek:

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    well, i hope i'm wrong and they do right by everyone. :)

hopefully as someone mentioned the new T&C's might just be for the limerick trial users, but i have a nasty feeling we're gonna get the shaft. :eek:

I honestly can't see upc justifying something like that,

If they want to make money they will have a 60mb package and possibly a 90mb package, It just makes sense to have that.

Most people will go for inbetween as they care more about the value then the speed.

I JUST WANT A 100MB LINE ALREADY!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

you can keep arguing all you want, but until you actually have a valid point it's not even going to be sporting of me to keep shooting you down so you might want to give up now before it gets too bad. :rolleyes:.

Please point out where this shooting down has occurred? Simply saying something doesnt make it so. Its as simple as this .. you had high hopes of something and were waaayyy off the mark and then had a strop here because of it. Grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

soooo- as we get into these type of speeds - what do most people feel they will benefit most by? 700mb "media clips" in 1 minute instead of 3? Emails checked in half a second rather than 3 seconds? Browsing can't really be faster to the eye can it?

Where is the real benefit unless you are downloading so much that you will probably reach even UPC's download limit? HD streaming etc?

(Genuine question - I used to plague UPC as to when each upgrade would take place but since 30mb arrived downloading time is becoming irrelevant)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

soooo- as we get into these type of speeds - what do most people feel they will benefit most by? 700mb "media clips" in 1 minute instead of 3? Emails checked in half a second rather than 3 seconds? Browsing can't really be faster to the eye can it?

Where is the real benefit unless you are downloading so much that you will probably reach even UPC's download limit? HD streaming etc?

(Genuine question - I used to plague UPC as to when each upgrade would take place but since 30mb arrived downloading time is becoming irrelevant)

Thinking alone the same lines, I'm thinking I'll downgrade to the 15mb line and save myself 25e per bill.
    I don't I'll notice much or any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

There is a need for it, granted not for checking your emails but access to the internet offers more then checking emails.

IPTV? Video on demand?

Its not even just about downloading some clips or music anymore. Its about the household having an internet connection that could facilitate several users accessing high bandwidth content.

We may not have access to a lot of services at the moment but 100mb is, or at least will be, required and in a couple of years probably wont be fast enough for us.

• Advertisement

hightower1 wrote: »
    Please point out where this shooting down has occurred? Simply saying something doesnt make it so. Its as simple as this .. you had high hopes of something and were waaayyy off the mark and then had a strop here because of it. Grow up.
    how about every single thread we've both posted in where you eventually pussy out when you realise your hollow and pointless fanboy arguments are exactly that?

considering most of the shooting down has been based on YOU repeatedly stating your own misguided opinion as fact and then failing to back it up with any evidence, you might want to re-think your strategy (again).

and how exactly was i way off the mark? we still don't know whats going to happen, it was mearly a guess based on current evidence. :)

not to mention the fact i've already said several times i'd have much more interest in a higher AUP and better upload than a download speed increase.

feel free to keep trying tho, as easy as you make it for me, i do still quite enjoy making you look like an idiot particularly given how often you give me the opportunity. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shayanzadeh

Honestly, I'm only looking forward to higher upload speeds...
    At the moment 1.7MB/s down is enough, 1MB/s up would be nice with that :D

So much for 25meg...

15_3.jpg

If I downgrade to 15meg, should I expect 8meg?

Why can't they just be consistent?

The-Rigger wrote: »
    So much for 25meg...

15_3.jpg

If I downgrade to 15meg, should I expect 8meg?

Why can't they just be consistent?

There is no 25mb connection, Just 30mb.

942387020.png

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

942387020.png
    There is actually. It is a legacy package.

942387020.png

Would be 30 had I asked for the upgrade but I read about people having so many connection issues that I never requested it.

They started bumping those of us on the old 20 meg to 25 meg last week.

Would be 30 had I asked for the upgrade but I read about people having so many connection issues that I never requested it.

They started bumping those of us on the old 20 meg to 25 meg last week.

I remember when i got the 30mb i had to sign a new contract for 12 months, But i was told if i wanted to wait a few months i would get the 30mb anyway.

if they are moving people to 25mbps now, maybe that means their eventual plan is going to be to scrub the 30mbps and go with 8mbps, 15mbps, 25mbps, 50mbps and 100mbps.

wouldn't make any sense to keep a 25mbps package AND a 30mbps package long term and it would look a lot more like the other 100mbps territories if they did that.

eircom are so f**ked. :D

Kind of different results between speedtest.net and the dutch upc speedtest website.

difference.jpg

942387020.png
    if they are moving people to 25mbps now, maybe that means their eventual plan is going to be to scrub the 30mbps and go with 8mbps, 15mbps, 25mbps, 50mbps and 100mbps.

wouldn't make any sense to keep a 25mbps package AND a 30mbps package long term and it would look a lot more like the other 100mbps territories if they did that.

I presume those currently on 25meg would be bumped to the 50meg in that case as they are paying the same as the current 30meg holders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I presume those currently on 25meg would be bumped to the 50meg in that case as they are paying the same as the current 30meg holders.

This is just conjecture, but given that the 30meg holders (me included) have already "signed" for another 12 months with upc, the 25meg bunch (those of you who waited for the auto-upgrade) would probably have to commit to another 12 months to get the bump to 50. Still, maybe nobody is getting any freebies and this is just pie in the sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Its all marketing, they are only upgrading existing customers to 25mb and you have to pay the same price as the 30mb, this is to give existing customers more of a reason to request and upgrade to 30mb and have to sign a new 12 month contract, its a way to force people into a new contract. Its all about keeping as many customers as long as possible!

I would have signed for another 12 months if the upgrade was going to be stable rather than worse than what I had.
    They should try harder.

Was told on phone that 100Mb is not for sale yet and is been tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

I see in the Netherlands they get 25 mb for 25 euro, we get only 8mb for 25 euro..

also alot more options available.

LjT8e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

The sunday business post has an article which says 100Mb for 80 euro from next month.

The sunday business post has an article which says 100Mb for 80 euro from next month.
    UPC has promised that the service’s advertised speeds of 100Mbs for downloads and 10Mbs for uploads will ‘‘very closely’’ match actual speeds experienced by customers.

‘‘You won’t get any lower than 85 or 90 Mbs on this service," said Coan. ‘‘We feel it’s very important that, if we tell you you’re going to get a speed of 100 Mbs, you actually get that speed. There is a problem in the broadband market, as a whole, with operators advertising speeds that don’t live up to actual performance."

:rolleyes:

No ****.

i actually quite like the sound of this:
    UPC is currently developing a new television platform with Samsung, based on a shared approach to delivering programming and internet content.

Coan said that the platform would take advantage of UPC’s high broadband speeds.
    could be interesting if they do it right.

interesting that they made no mention of the 'august' rollout suddenly becoming 'october'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Sweet thanks for the update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Any idea what happens for people on the Broadband extreme package?
    I currently pay €80 for 30Mbit

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement