Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100Mb NTL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Any idea what happens for people on the Broadband extreme package?
    I currently pay €80 for 30Mbit
    well, you'd have to assume you'll be one of the few people who actually gets 100mbps, although whether or not you just 'get it' or have to ask for the upgrade is anyone's guess at the moment.

you will of course be obliged to post all your speedtests here for the rest of us to drool over, assuming you can find any way of actually testing 100mbps accurately. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need a dedicated secret speed test computer at INEX to test 100Mbps..

Or see how long it takes to download ALL the linux ISOs from HEAnet mirrors...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

vibe666 wrote: »
    well, you'd have to assume you'll be one of the few people who actually gets 100mbps, although whether or not you just 'get it' or have to ask for the upgrade is anyone's guess at the moment.

you will of course be obliged to post all your speedtests here for the rest of us to drool over, assuming you can find any way of actually testing 100mbps accurately. :D

Steam maybe? I get the a lot of the 30Mbit speed from them currently. Around 3.5Mb/s when downloading games.

I'm more interested in the increased upload anyway, download speed is fast as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Any idea what happens for people on the Broadband extreme package?
    I currently pay €80 for 30Mbit

Eh? It costs €42 a month according to their site. You sure you don't mean €80 per bill (2 months), or are you on some non-standard package? If it's €80/bill, then don't forget that the SBP article says €80/month for 100Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Steam maybe? I get the a lot of the 30Mbit speed from them currently. Around 3.5Mb/s when downloading games.

I'm more interested in the increased upload anyway, download speed is fast as it is.

More up more down its all good cant wait to get this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

how about every single thread we've both posted in where you eventually pussy out when you realise your hollow and pointless fanboy arguments are exactly that?

considering most of the shooting down has been based on YOU repeatedly stating your own misguided opinion as fact and then failing to back it up with any evidence, you might want to re-think your strategy (again).

and how exactly was i way off the mark? we still don't know whats going to happen, it was mearly a guess based on current evidence. :)

not to mention the fact i've already said several times i'd have much more interest in a higher AUP and better upload than a download speed increase.

feel free to keep trying tho, as easy as you make it for me, i do still quite enjoy making you look like an idiot particularly given how often you give me the opportunity. ;)

Lmao, internet tough guy huh ;-). Please do point out where you "shot me down" I could do with the example.:-)

cgarvey wrote: »
    Eh? It costs €42 a month according to their site. You sure you don't mean €80 per bill (2 months), or are you on some non-standard package? If it's €80/bill, then don't forget that the SBP article says €80/month for 100Mb.

Broadband extreme is for people who continually download over the 250gb cap, so yes it's non standard and not advertised. We pay 80 a month for true unlimited downloads at 30Mbit.

Someone mentioned that in other markets, the Extreme package got the full 100Mbit speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

hightower1 wrote: »
    Lmao, internet tough guy huh ;-). Please do point out where you "shot me down" I could do with the example.:-)

Okay i think you and vibe666 need to get a virtual room!! :D

Lets all concentrate on the 100mb goodness

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bk109

Broadband extreme is for people who continually download over the 250gb cap, so yes it's non standard and not advertised. We pay 80 a month for true unlimited downloads at 30Mbit.

Someone mentioned that in other markets, the Extreme package got the full 100Mbit speed.

Err,It's 42(49 and change) for the 30meg + no cap,or 57 with the phone

bk109 wrote: »
    Err,It's 42(49 and change) for the 30meg + no cap,or 57 with the phone

There is a cap of 250gb on that package.
    Do a search of boards and you'll see others mention it.
    The real unlimited package is extreme for 80/month

• Advertisement

There is a cap of 250gb on that package.
    Do a search of boards and you'll see others mention it.
    The real unlimited package is extreme for 80/month
    Heh,sure - 2 small problems -
    1- I do consistently by myself 300+gigs of usage monthly,without taking into account my housemates
    2- The highest priced BB package from UPC I saw was the FibrePower30(the former Extreme which was also 42),so ... where's the 80Euro one
    PS. 80 Euro might be with phone or tv or whatever

It's not advertised, it's only for consistent heavy downloaders. Maybe they are revising limits for the 100Mbit rollout.
    They usually send letters out before forcing you over. I never got my letters though.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55073542

That's the thing,I'm certain me and the 4 other people that share the connection have gone over the 250 limit since we first got the account nine months ago and it was at the highest available tier since Day1... Either way,It works and when possible - Upgrading again...

Lmao, internet tough guy huh ;-)
    coming from someone who's idea of acting the tough guy is spending his spare time running round in fields with toy guns dressed as a soldier making 'pew pew pew' noises, that has to be my favourite quote of the week and that really does qualify for a LMAO. :D:D:D
    Please do point out where you "shot me down" I could do with the example.:-)
    there's been plenty, but the most recent one that springs to mind is this one although they all follow the same formula where you come up with some fanboy argument in response to another poster and then attempt to back it up by inventing some other crap and trying to pass it off as fact to support your initial argument, then it continues for a few more posts whilst you're asked to back up your claims with some facts and you then make up more crap to try and support it, but eventually give up so you don't have to admit that you don't actually have a point or possess anything even remotely resembling the truth.

if i'm brutally honest, you're consistently high levels of bull**** are actually beginning to get ever so slightly tedious, so you've finally made it onto my ignore list. feel free to talk as much crap as you like from now on, because i'm never going to see it. :)

I don't know how strict they are on the 250gb but that's when they start looking at your account.

Hoping I get free bump up though :)

bk109 wrote: »
    Heh,sure - 2 small problems -
    1- I do consistently by myself 300+gigs of usage monthly,without taking into account my housemates
    2- The highest priced BB package from UPC I saw was the FibrePower30(the former Extreme which was also 42),so ... where's the 80Euro one
    PS. 80 Euro might be with phone or tv or whatever
    you're talking about the 'ultra' package, not the extreme one (the extreme package costs double the price of the ultra package and just removes the 250gb AUP/FUP on your connection, but does not increase your speed), but has never been advertised and is reserved for users who break the 250gb AUP/FUP in a high usage area where a single users high useage is likely to be affecting other users.

so you either 'A' haven't actually broken the 250gb limit in the FUP/AUP (do you have bandwidth measurement software on your PC's or router so you can say for sure what your usage is?), or 'B' you're not in a high usage area and as a result of that, they are not applying the 250gb limit to your connection.

you're talking about the 'ultra' package, not the extreme one (the extreme package costs double the price of the ultra package and just removes the 250gb AUP/FUP on your connection, but does not increase your speed), but has never been advertised and is reserved for users who break the 250gb AUP/FUP in a high usage area where it is likely to be affecting other users.

so you either 'A' haven't actually broken the 250gb limit in the FUP/AUP (do you have bandwidth measurement software on your PC's or router so you can say for sure what your usage is?), or 'B' you're not in a high usage area and as a result of that, they are not applying the 250gb limit to your connection.

I think it's the latter. As for measuring - Just a widget on desktop + the stats when I seed *buntu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

i was told last week that we were getting an upgrade to 25mb. i think we've 5mb or something. anyways it sais to just unlpug the moem from power supply, but broadband speed is still the same. the laptop is a bit wrecked though, cant get updates and few other things wrong which make it freeze alot which is annoying so need a knew laptop

anyone know how i can check to see if this was given to me by checking on the laptop or should i just ring UPC?

try speedtest.net
    should give you somewhere between 15 and 25 if you've been upgraded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

How many people are getting the correct upload?
    Only ever seem to get between .08 - 1.1, way below what it ought to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

The-Rigger wrote: »

Here is mine.944407165.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

I always get my full 3Mb up - sometimes 3.2Mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

944462043.png

on the 30 Mb/s package (wireless).

i had a lot of problems with my upload for a long time after the upgrade and just kept complaining that it wasn't working and emailed them every 3 days for an update on it and eventually they sorted it out.

before that, it always topped out at 1.43mbps or less, which was as much as i'd ever got on the 20mbps, so i had been looking forward to the increased upload that was supposed to come with the 30mbps upgrades in March, but it took until June for them to sort it out properly.

seemingly there was a local hardware upgrade that they'd kept putting off due to one thing or another and as soon as that actually happened everything was grand.

944544773.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Mine was similarly crap (0.8 - 1.2) when I was on the 20 Mbs...once I got the upgrade, everything seemed to be back to normal. They must have fixed some fault along with applying the upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

so i had been looking forward to the increased upload that was supposed to come with the 30mbps upgrades in March

In what way do you notice a difference with a faster upload?

better speed when transferring stuff from my NAS and faster FTP transfers to a couple of websites i look after, as well as P2P downloads are faster with more upload bandwidth to play with.

I remote control my pc remotely a lot and the increased upload helped a lot for that.

Handy for transferring files from my home server to work too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭shinfujiwara

Imagine yourself transferring some HD video to a website like YouTube or Vimeo for example, can take ages. The more bandwidth in both upload and download, the better.

Even if you think "I don't need such a high speed as 100mb/100mb", in truth everyone needs, we just don't like the abusive prices. If you take 10 minutes to do something, you would certainly love it to be only 1 min.

But I get your point. Most people wouldn't be uploading too much stuff, mostly text e-mails. And precisely because of that, they give you a good download rate but not a good upload.

Business :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement