Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100Mb NTL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

smur89 wrote: »
    Tallaght, I worked for UPC.

Nice, I'm wondering when they will start pusing it out to more people, Hope you have fun testing it out. Do you have any idea of the cost its going to be.

Sorry for all the questions.

They had planned to release it as an expensive BB (around 80e i think it was said), but would then lower the price once all the kinks were worked out (didnt want too many people taking it up straight away)

I dont use the PC its wired up to much, so I'm not really getting much benefit from it, it might aswell be 30MBs... which is better than the 15mb we had before!

With the flood protection off now, its working alot better. smoother, faster etc

That sounds good, Hopefully they will launch it soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Its an wireless N router but you won't see the full benefits of it smur89 if your wireless card is G rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Should be able to..

Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n
    PHY Mode: 802.11n
    Strange try changing the channel on the router?. Use something like inssider to see what channel are unused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

so, where do we sign up to be 100mbps guinea pigs then? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I just called UPC and was told that 100mb won't be rolled out 'til next year and people who subscribe to it will need a replacement modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Needs a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem (multiple tuners and x5 more powerful modem ). Existing Modems can only use one channel. Above about 30MBps to 45MBps you need multiple channels. DOCSIS 3.0 is basically up to five "modems"/"tuners" as one logical channel to give over 125Mbps in theory.

All the UPC modems I have seen are DOCSIS2.0. Obviously a DOCSIS 3.0 modem is more expensive.

I just called UPC and was told that 100mb won't be rolled out 'til next year and people who subscribe to it will need a replacement modem.

I rang and was told the exact same thing, Well he said that it would be by the end of the year or January. He told me that they are having problem with ip address's, I said had it something to do with ipv4 running out, He said that was it.

It was originally meant to be October, But has been pushed back, Was also told that once its available we will know. As they will be advertising it everywhere.

He definitely knew what he was talking about so i would have to thing this is solid info.

Its sad to see that its getting pushed back, But i can't help but think its good that they aren't rushing it out. They are going to do this the right way.

Oh just to let you all know. The modem is going to cost €80 euro alone, There abouts anyway. Which is fair enough as its a modem/router.

Thor wrote: »
    Oh just to let you all know. The modem is going to cost €80 euro alone, There abouts anyway. Which is fair enough as its a modem/router.
    only if it's actually any good. :)

the Cisco EPC2425 that they're giving out at the moment is a modem & router and it's a pile of crap. i certainly wouldn't pay €80 for one of those, that's for sure. :(

hopefully they've learnt from past mistakes and from our european cousins who got it rolled out before us and have found something better this time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

vibe666 wrote: »
    only if it's actually any good. :)

the Cisco EPC2425 that they're giving out at the moment is a modem & router and it's a pile of crap. i certainly wouldn't pay €80 for one of those, that's for sure. :(

hopefully they've learnt from past mistakes and from our european cousins who got it rolled out before us and have found something better this time round.

I don't think its the actual router, more so the upc binary/firmware they *implement*..

• Advertisement

bestie wrote: »
    I don't think its the actual router, more so the upc binary/firmware they *implement*..
    very true i imagine. just look at the linksys wrt54g routers. the stock firmware on those is abysmal and yet with any one of a dozen or so 3rd party homebrew firmwares you can make it pretty much the best home router going and all for around 40 quid. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Not that I am complaining here - I am on a 15Mbit contract - but one moment I was downloading a .... Linux ISO .... and the connection broke (does that often), so I went into my router and renewed the DHCP and voila: Double speed .... :)
    Happy camper, but 10 minutes later another loss of connection, renewed the router's DHCP lease again and voila:
    Back to 15 Mbit ..... :(

Go figure :confused:
    But I guess they are testing the lines - so hopefully we can interpret this as 15Mbit customers will get 30M bit (I am the optimist - I know .....)

955951640.png
    955959840.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

I find it weird that people give out about the Cisko router that UPC give out

Personally Ive never had any difficulty with it.....

Its more stable than my 130 euro Netgear router although I do lose about 6 MB through Wireless, though when Im on 30 MB its not an issue .

i guess you're just lucky. :)

hopefully there will be a modem only option when they do the upgrades and we have to upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

So is there any date set for the lauch alot of people were saying October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

So is there any date set for the lauch alot of people were saying October.

Looking at other European markets,i'll say that at least next year,probably march at earliest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭dunworth1

rolion wrote: »
    Looking at other European markets,i'll say that at least next year,probably march at earliest...

they are trailing in now so shouldn't be much longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

In other words "I haven't a clue"

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭nani17

will it be a free upgrade like they did last time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

AntiVirus wrote: »
    In other words "I haven't a clue"

I've read an article,in an online business publication,where the UPC's CEO of that area said that their main focus is to expand the cable/tv/satelitte customers database,while the internet side of the business is ... to keep it going.
    So,i AssUMed that the internet upgrades roll-out is probably going to be discussed by Board next january / february,after all 2010 financial results will be disected and digested...and main competitors publishing their 2011 agenda !

Just to mention that over there,100M connection from competition is going well since years ago...and ,why here push for 100m when second player on the market is lagging behind at mega mega bytes speedwise ! ? ? i won't do it if i'll be their CEO...

sorry for assumptions...
    regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You can get Sky's basic tv package and 20meg broadband and free evening & weekend uk landline calls in the UK for £19/€21.80.

They charge 23e here just for the basic tv package.
    Hope they get stuck into the broadband market, probably too small for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

The-Rigger wrote: »
    You can get Sky's basic tv package and 20meg broadband and free evening & weekend uk landline calls in the UK for £19/€21.80.

They charge 23e here just for the basic tv package.
    Hope they get stuck into the broadband market, probably too small for them.
    Yeah I got a sales rep of sky trying to sell me a basic package with movies included which worked at 2 euro more expensive than UPCs basic digital pack. So I rang UPC up and they said they would give me 12 euro a month off the movies package if we didnt change to sky. So was happy about that.

I've read an article,in an online business publication,where the UPC's CEO of that area said that their main focus is to expand the cable/tv/satelitte customers database,while the internet side of the business is ... to keep it going.
    So,i AssUMed that the internet upgrades roll-out is probably going to be discussed by Board next january / february,after all 2010 financial results will be disected and digested...and main competitors publishing their 2011 agenda !

Just to mention that over there,100M connection from competition is going well since years ago...and ,why here push for 100m when second player on the market is lagging behind at mega mega bytes speedwise ! ? ? i won't do it if i'll be their CEO...

sorry for assumptions...
    regards
    it was already announced several times by UPC. it was supposed to be 120mbps in the spring this year originally, then they changed their minds and just did the 30mbps upgrades first and moved it to july/august and pared it back to 100mbps. come august it was pushed back to september and just recently delayed till october so who knows when it'll be coming. upc don't seem to be in a rush tho, either way but if it means they get it right and don't cock it up again then i reckon its worth the wait. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 beanie

I believe UPC are trying to base it on actually delivering the bandwidth the package states and not like back in the Eircom days when it was always a rather small percentage in urban areas of what you were actually paying for. They're trying to do a Microsoft on it, they now have the ability to deliver such, but are slowly putting it out into the market.
    It's nice to see the competition is really pushing the providers to deliver a better service.
    I can finally ditch my 56.6kps dial-up now! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭kk887

i know its a bit early to ask but is there have anyone know how they provide the 100mb BB?

I mean are they going to use the same way as they are using now?(put your cable to the tv port rather than the telephone port)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

kk887 wrote: »
    i know its a bit early to ask but is there have anyone know how they provide the 100mb BB?

I mean are they going to use the same way as they are using now?(put your cable to the tv port rather than the telephone port)

Yes.
    It's the only way they can.
    It's a fiber/coax network they have, so it can't come through your phone lines, and I sure as hell wouldn't want it to!

kk887 wrote: »

if you want to know a little bit more about the technology involved, have a read of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docsis

Just noticed they removed the reference to the 100Mb in thei conditions on their site.

Doesn't look like its gonna happen soon so :(

Maybe late January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 sk1

hi, i was asking via mail today and got this reply
    Thank you for your email.

Please be advised UPC has three types of Broadband.

You can view the product through the following URL:

http://www.upc.ie/broadband

Thank you for your patience.

so i would say maybe end of the year since they officially announced it in may this year here: http://www.rte.ie/business/2010/0504/upc.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement