Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus/Ceed? Engine?

• 02-11-2009 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm looking at getting either a 07 ford focus or a 07 kia ceed (i like a good hatchback!). I'm hoping to get one for approx. 11K. Would anyone have any advice on which one to go for? I've driven the focus and like it - but haven't tried the cee'd yet. I like the look of the focus more - but the ceed might be more reliable and the remaining 4-year warranty is tempting.

Also, could someone recommend what engine to go for? I'm usually doing 15K a year. I'm not too pushed about speed, but I don't want something dog-slow either! Also, there's the eternal question - petrol or diesel?? :)

Any help or someone with experience would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ripcord wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm looking at getting either a 07 ford focus or a 07 kia ceed (i like a good hatchback!). I'm hoping to get one for approx. 11K. Would anyone have any advice on which one to go for? I've driven the focus and like it - but haven't tried the cee'd yet. I like the look of the focus more - but the ceed might be more reliable and the remaining 4-year warranty is tempting.

Also, could someone recommend what engine to go for? I'm usually doing 15K a year. I'm not too pushed about speed, but I don't want something dog-slow either! Also, there's the eternal question - petrol or diesel?? :)

Any help or someone with experience would be appreciated!

Thanks.

First I would avoid the 1.4 litre engine in the Focus, it is very underpowered, minimum you should be looking at is the 1.6 litre. I have no experience of the 1.4 litre in the Kia but on paper it looks alot more lively than the 1.4 litre Focus.

15k miles a year is not really diesel mileage so the premium you will pay for a diesel model or a similar model will not be made back at the pump. However if you were stretching to a 08 model of either then it makes sense to go diesel as the motor tax is alot cheaper than the petrol models. That and the 1.6 litre diesel engines in either cars are superior to the similar capacity petrol engines.

Drive wise the Focus is at the top of it's class whereas the Cee'd isn't. However if reliablity is more important than driveability it is hard to beat the Cee'd's 7 year warranty. Saying that the Focus is also a very reliable motor and parts are cheap & plentiful.

So at the end of the day the best thing to do is go out and test drive both cars before deciding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I had a test drive of the cee'd 1.6 diesel and I quite liked it.

The engine was 'peppy' and had nice bit of acceleration in each gear.
    The engine was fairly quiet too for a diesel.
    The cabin is nice also with comfortable seats & well specced equiptment too boot.

I've never driven the focus but have driven the mondeo a bit and didnt like it much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 datobs

Hi ripcord,

In the same boat as you pretty much although I'm defo looking at the 1.6 diesel Focus or Cee'd as I will be doing lots of driving.Could be a 06 Focus whereas I may get a 07 Cee'd,when I trade in.So, not sure which to go for either.Focus seems very popular and reliable whereas Cee'd is relatively new to Irish markets.Let me know which you've chosen or if anyone has experience of both.Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭techie

I and my wife both have 1.4 Ceed's. Highly recommend them all round, friends have 1.4 Focus and would not touch them with a barge pole, they are underpowered as already said but also as a result they are very poor on juice.

Our Ceed's can easily achieve 47mpg on a good run, and to be honest I prefer driving the Cee'd to the Focus any day.

Getting mixed opinions on mpg of the Cee'd.Some reports on the net say only around 30mpg,while others say over 50mpg.So,which is it?I'll be doing mostly motorway with a bit of secondary road and city driving.Kinda need a good economical diesel!The Cee'd seems a decent car for most people...apart from the snobby badge brigade!!

• Advertisement

30mpg !!!!!!!! :eek:

Don't know where they are getting that from. If I strash mine I get 35/6mpg , but in normal driving easily get 45mpg.

Diesel is supposed to be better, guys on Kia Forum getting 56mpg+ from theirs.

Thanks techie,
    Thought you were driving the 1.6 diesel,sorry bout that!Are Kia reliable?What about parts?Are they easy to source?Is a service more expensive?Excuse all the questions but need to know before I decide.Thanks

I don't have to worry about parts until 2014 !! :D

Service every 12k miles and so far costs under €200, I have 2 of them and would buy another again in a heartbeat.

Where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Not a lot wrong with the Focus, but for value etc., I'll have a C'eed please, Bob.

techie,
    I live in Dundalk,work in Drogheda and my girlfriend is in Naas!!So I need to switch to a decent economical diesel.Do you know anyone selling a diesel Cee'd?Checked carzone.ie,not a lot of bargains at the moment!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Kia will depreciate horribly. It's achilles heal.

Kia will depreciate horribly. It's achilles heal.

Hello, what car will not in the current climate :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,686 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I drove van versions of the Pro C'eed 1.6Td and Focus 1.8Tdci, back to back last year.

The C'eed so kicked the Focus's ass in every way to drive I wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending one.

Biggest problem is the percieved re-sale value. Makes it more expensive to lease the Kia than the Ford and very few people are willing to pay that extra premium for a "budget" badge.

Hopefully the Kia values won't be that bad, but I'm not willing to bet the house on it.

As techie says,all cars have depreciated badly lately.My Golf is now worth way less than it should.I'm defo starting to warm to the Cee'd.Hope to get into a Kia dealer in next few days,test drive one and see if theres any 07's out there.Or maybe even 08,less tax.But would prob have to put a couple of grand along with my 07 Golf for an 08?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

techie wrote: »
    Hello, what car will not in the current climate :)

Every car will depreciate. That Kia will do so at warp speed however.

See what ROR had to see about leasing costs. Residual values are expected to be relatively low.

Advertisement