Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water circulation to Radiators

Options
  • 02-11-2009 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi Guys,

Im just back from a month away. I switched off the heat in the house for the month. On return i switched on the heat (gas boiler). While the water heats up, no water is being distributed into any radiator through out the house.

I thought that the answer may have been to bleed the radiators but all are dead cold from top to bottom even after the gas boiler is on after an hour.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Mullers78 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Im just back from a month away. I switched off the heat in the house for the month. On return i switched on the heat (gas boiler). While the water heats up, no water is being distributed into any radiator through out the house.

I thought that the answer may have been to bleed the radiators but all are dead cold from top to bottom even after the gas boiler is on after an hour.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

You may have a room stat turned down, but most likely the circulating pump is stuck. Find it, close to the boiler and gently tap it lightly with a hammer or vice grips or something hard, but not too heavy.
    It can be opened, but you should not have to do this. It could also be burned out, but probably not.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

It sounds like the pump to me as well. What i use to do is turn the speed of the pump up and then when it started back down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Do you have thermostatic valves?? were they turned off all summer long? The valve in these can stick in the "off" position.

If the pump is working and the system is bleed, you could try taking the plastic caps off the thermostatic valves and actuate the little metal plunger on the valve manually, this normally frees them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Mullers78 wrote: »
    While the water heats up, no water is being distributed into any radiator through out the house.

When you say that the water heats up, do you mean water in the system or water in your hot water storage tank? If it's the latter then maybe you have a jammed/faulty motorised valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I had a similar problem last Autumn, it turned out to be the thermosats. I never turned them back up, very embarrassing.:o

• Advertisement
Advertisement