Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filthy Navan

Options
  • 02-11-2009 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭

Yesterday I was in Navan at lunchtime to do some shopping. I was appalled by the level of litter around the town. I know it was Halloween the night before and the town probably received more late night revellers than normal, but the state of the streets was an absolute disgrace, with snack boxes and take away boxes strewn about eveywhere.

I was walking behind some American tourists who were out for a stroll and I felt so embarrassed to be Irish.

I'm not sure what the procedures are for cleaning the streets, but something should be done to try and organise street cleaning in the early hours of Sunday morning.

A few years ago Navan was voted one of the dirtiest towns in Ireland and I can safely say I totally agree with this decision.

What really annoys me is that some shops opened their doors on Sunday morning and were quite happy to leave a complete mess outside their premises. I know they are not legally obliged to clean up the street, but the managers should have some dignity and respect for the area around their shops.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

It was clean this morning as I went through, didn't look very bad on Sunday morning either, what area are you speaking of in particular, there was a bin that had overturned outside the ACC but apart from that it look reasonably ok.

BTW I wouldn't feel embarrased around US tourists, it's a problem in the states too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

bladespin wrote: »
    It was clean this morning as I went through, didn't look very bad on Sunday morning either, what area are you speaking of in particular, there was a bin that had overturned outside the ACC but apart from that it look reasonably ok.

I walked up Ludlow St towards the Shopping centre. There were take away boxes and food strewn about everywhere. Also the bins were full. There needs to be more bins provided around the taxi ranks and take aways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Never mind bins being provided, the mentality of people who drop litter astounds me! A lot of takeaways put the trays of food into carrier bags - once the food is eaten place the tray back in the carrier bag and hold onto it until you get to a litter bin, or bring it home then dispose of it. As simple as that.

And, another thing, I bet when you visit these moron's people's houses there's not a thing out of place or a speck of dust on the floor!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

Was the litter warden (or John Wayne as we called him) sacked? No on the spot fining for rubbih in navan it appears.

malene wrote: »
    Was the litter warden (or John Wayne as we called him) sacked? No on the spot fining for rubbih in navan it appears.

I just can't imagine a litter warden giving on-the-spot fines to drunken people at 2am on a Friday/Saturday in Navan town centre!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Sunday morning in Navan.

39AAD602B52E4A0AAAE031142FFF8A90-500.jpg

Thanks Pullandbang. I wish I had my camera with me the day after Halloween. This is spotless in comparison to the mess I saw on the streets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TheeItcha

Sunday morning in Navan.

Chronicle office!!! oh wait we not playing this game anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Sunday morning in Navan.

Whoop dee do. You could pick any town in Ireland and get a simular photo on a Saturday/ Sunday morning.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Whoop dee do. You could pick any town in Ireland and get a simular photo on a Saturday/ Sunday morning.

Probably, but there wouldn't be much point in posting a picture of Ballyjamesduff on a "Filthy Navan" thread, now would there?:confused:

• Advertisement

Why don't we start a new thread..."Filthiest towns in Meath" where people can submit their own photos! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

chewed wrote: »
    Why don't we start a new thread..."Filthiest towns in Meath" where people can submit their own photos! :D

and call it the Navan bashing thread cause thats all it would be:(
    i think it would lead to people getting upset, this forum has been better than most other forums for bickering or lack of so lets keep it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Probably, but there wouldn't be much point in posting a picture of Ballyjamesduff on a "Filthy Navan" thread, now would there?:confused:
    No you tool, that's not my point and you know it. I do not see the need for everyone to jump on the bandwagon and bash Navan about its litter problems when it is just as bad in other towns.

Advertisement