Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam 2010 sub 2.50

Options
  • 02-11-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

I never considered keeping a training log, but since I have signed up for Rotterdam 2010, I need something to keep me focused on training and any input from other runners is always welcome. I was never into running as a youth, played hurling mostly but gave that up in my early 20's. I never thought I would enjoy running, but the brother in law is a runner and he got me out for a few short runs around november 2007, they nearly killed me, but I enjoyed it. I then signed up for the Hamburg marathon 2008 a few months later, which I finished in 3.14. I rewarded myself with a bike after the marathon and started to do some cycling, I did'nt really do much running after the Hamburg marathon, just enough miles to the beer belly away.
    This year I started to run again were I done the Connemarathon half 1.22, Achill half 1.23 and Edinburgh marathon 2.58. I did'nt have a good run in Ediburgh as my quads were sore from training and I ran the marathon overdosed on painkillers!!! Did'nt do much running after achill, about 10miles a week average. I was doing loads of cycling though. I done my first 10km a few weeks ago in Blessington 36.18, I really enjoyed it. I went out to support the brother in law last monday at the Dublin marathon and got the marathon bug again, so a few days later I signed up for the Rotterdam marathon with a mate of mine.
    I bought a book, 'Daniels Running Formula' which I'm going to follow his marathon program, 23 weeks from 2day, I'll peak at around 65 - 70miles...I've tailored the program were I will run 5 days a week, some days I will run twice a day. I just joined a tri club and I will be going on the long cycle every sunday with them. I plan to do a few triathlons after Rotterdam to keep me focused. This will be my first real marathon program. I know its early days for setting a time but I'm going to aim for sub 2.50, so I'm going base my marathon pace runs at this pace. Anyway enough waffle, I'll be heading out for an easy 7miler this evening to get things started.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi heff, best of luck with the log and goals, I'll be keeping up to date on this as we have a common interest in Rotterdam, JDs book is a good read but the only thing I would say is you should be doing your training at your current race pace not what you hope to achieve and JD has a nice Vdot table for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I am also doing Rotterdam. Looking around at programs at the moment to see what i like the look of.

Some nice times there. Like you, i never ran growing up(or any exercise until i went to college)!! Pretty hooked now.

Best of luck with the log.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Thanks woddle and ULStudent I hope it goes to plan. The Daniels running gets a bit scientific for me though, his training plans are pretty simple to follow. I feel with a proper marathon program and I get no injuries, 2.50 should be in my grasp, time will tell ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Best of luck Heff. I'll be very interested to see how your training goes.
    Considering your previous times its well within your grasp.

Dermot

Thanks Dermot, I'm doing the aware 10km in a few weeks, it will give me a good idea if I'm headin in the right direction...I found this link to set up the advanced marathon plans by Pete Pfitzingers, handy for printing out.

http://www.roadtoboston.com/djapps/trainingPlans/viewPlan/4/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Challenging target heff, best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Thanks woddle and ULStudent I hope it goes to plan. The Daniels running gets a bit scientific for me though, his training plans are pretty simple to follow. I feel with a proper marathon program and I get no injuries, 2.50 should be in my grasp, time will tell ;)

Aim high and put hte time out there. No point in saying 2.55 when you are aiming for sub 2.50.
    Best of luck and i will follow this log closely. When you get under 2.50 you will be classed as a very good club runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Cool, going to keep an eye on this log heffsarmy. I'm probably going to go with Daniels for Rotterdam myself. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Good man, best of luck. BIg jump from 3:14 to 2:58 in a year. If you focus well sub 2:50 should be easily within your reach

Thanks lads for the comments, its going to be a challenge, but one I'm looking forward too. I kick started things last night with an easy 7miler in the phoneix park, average pace 7.10. This was my first run in the dark for a while, it was a nice evening for running. Abhainn congrats on your great result in Dublin marathon.

• Advertisement

I done just over 8miles tues night avg pace 7.07 weather was'nt too bad. Done over 5miles last night avg pace 7.08, weather was crap, wind howling and peeing rain, feet were soaking when I got home. I'm gonna have to sort out a new pair off runners as the ones I train in have holes in the soles of them, not sure why they make them like this, Saucony Grid Fastwitch 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Will be watching this log with interest. Are you following any particular schedule between now and when your Rotterdam training plan kicks off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Best of luck Heff, you are obviously a talented lad. With the right training you will blow 2.50 out of the water.

Did you follow a training plan for your last marathon ?

Also what made you decide to go with the Daniels book? I personally think those plans are a pile of ****e. And I am talking about the majority of these one fit all programs not just Daniels. They are probably ok for novices but you would be better off with a personalised plan especially seen as you seem to have plenty of talent.

Best of luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

you would be better off with a personalised plan especially seen as you seem to have plenty of talent.

Yes, but unless you're heavily involved in a club, where do you get one of these plans? Can only really think of the services that the likes of Greg McMillan provide with personalised plans, but these are pricey and would question the added-value over a "one size fits all" plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Peckham wrote: »
    Yes, but unless you're heavily involved in a club, where do you get one of these plans? Can only really think of the services that the likes of Greg McMillan provide with personalised plans, but these are pricey and would question the added-value over a "one size fits all" plan.

In my opinion if you have ran a couple of marathons like heff has you should know what works and what doesn't work for you. Don't have to be heavily involved in a club for that. I think some of those plans are too rigid and in some cases absolute pants.

Just my opinion. If they work for you then keep to them. I was in bad form yesterday so may have been a bit grumpy.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

In my opinion if you have ran a couple of marathons like heff has you should know what works and what doesn't work for you. Don't have to be heavily involved in a club for that. I think some of those plans are too rigid and in some cases absolute pants.

Just my opinion. If they work for you then keep to them. I was in bad form yesterday so may have been a bit grumpy.

I agree with the sentiment but I think you picked the wrong target with Daniels. His plan(in his running formula book) makes a clear distinction between phases and he only outlines specific workouts. You decide what total milage is best, he just tells you what fraction of of peak milage each week should be. Its more adaptable than any other plan I've seen.

A lot of other plans are poorly thought-out rubbish but this is one of the few that look good to me.

Last night was a write off, ended up drinking 3 bottles of wine with the wife :) I'll get out this evening to clear the head.

Anyways to answer to a few question, Peckham I have started the daniels running formula plan monday gone which is basically base building phase, 5 weeks off easy running to get the mileage up, throw in a few strides at the end of 2 or 3 runs each week, nothing too wild, although I found myself wanting to run alot fast the other night, might throw in a few small tempo runs to keep me happy :)

TheRoadRunner my last marathon I used Halhigdons marathon program as a guide, I would'nt know if it was good or not, although my legs were knackered come the race so maybe it was crap ;). The reason I choose the daniels plan is because I heard his plans were good. I would'nt have the experience to set up my own plan, although as you say I have an idea on what to do and what not. As dermCU pointed out there is alot of flexabilty in the daniels plan and he only tells you what to do in the quality works outs. Anyways I will have to knock this midweek wine sampling on the head!

Friday evening done a 5miler avg 7.29pace. Satuday morning done 11miles avg 7.01 pace, really enjoyed the run, took it handy for most of the run. The last 3miles, I picked up the pace too 6.20, then the last mile finished 5.32 pace, felt strong after the run. Ended up going for a few pints saturday lunchtime, turned into an all day and night session, was in a heap this morning going out for a cycle with the tri club. It was a lovely day for cycling, glad I dragged myself out off bed, just done under a 3hour cycle, the pace was nice and handy though.

Friday evening done a 5miler avg 7.29pace. Satuday morning done 11miles avg 7.01 pace, really enjoyed the run, took it handy for most of the run. The last 3miles, I picked up the pace too 6.20, then the last mile finished 5.32 pace, felt strong after the run. Ended up going for a few pints saturday lunchtime, turned into an all day and night session, was in a heap this morning going out for a cycle with the tri club. It was a lovely day for cycling, glad I dragged myself out off bed, just done under a 3hour cycle, the pace was nice and handy though.

You will def break 2.50 with weekends like that.
    Good run sat though.

You need a blow out no and again village runner ;). Runs so far are easy pace, all around 7.10min/mile pace...monday done 8 miles, tuesday done 5 and this morning done 7 miles. I'll have to squeeze in the longish run on friday, as I'm going out friday night and not sure what shape I'll be in on saturday. I hope to get some sort off run in satruday, I'll see how it goes.

• Advertisement

Done handy 4 miles yesterday 7.10pace. This morning done 12miles 6.49pace, enjoyed the run today weather was perfect for running not too cold not too warm and no wind, started off easy for the first 6miles then I gradually picked up the pace finishing with a 5.35min/mile. Not sure I'll be able to run tommorow as I'm headin out 2night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Gebby

Hey Heff, I too registered for Rotterdam yesterday. Really looking forward to it as this will be my 2nd marathon after Dublin this year. Obviously I have got the bug.

Just wondering about flights there does'nt appear to be direct flights from Ireland? How are you flying or whats the best route.

For the record I used Daniels for my first marathon and really found it good the T workouts were perfect and prepared me big time for the day.

Good Luck with the training.

Hello Gebby, I have'nt booked any flights yet, but I'll either fly into Amsterdam or Eindhoven and get the train down. Are you going to use Daneils program for your second marathon? I'm looking forward to doing the quality workouts. I did'nt get any running in the weekend, I missed the cycle with the tri club as I was called into work. Went out in the afternoon, done over 3hours average pace 33.8kmph. Monday started off with a 7miler easy pace. This morning done a 5miler and plan to get this afternoon with a 6 or 7miler all easy pace. My right calf is a bit tight, will have to start doing some streches.

Looks like Ryanair from Eindhoven is cheapest 45 euro, need to get a bus to the Train Station from the Airport though. Where as with Amsterdam the train station is in the Airport...decisions descisions.

I plan to use Daniels again for sure. I think his plans make alot of sense with a lot of focus on Thresold /Tempo running in the latter weeks.

I ran negative splits in Dublin of this program with the second half almost 2.5 min faster. I think I had the legs for this from using Daniels where there is a lot of focus on running at your T when your tired.

How do you find running twice a day. How much time do you leave between sessions. I'm very interested as I often thought of doing this.

Hello Gebby I think I'll go with Aerlingus to Amsterdam, although I hate there Sales, marketing bull sh!t as there prices have'nt dropped a cent for the time I want to go. Good to see your going with Daneils program again, as it obviously worked for you before. In relation to running twice a day I don't do it often, but its handy for getting the miles in, usually I would do a run at 7am and then at 7pm, giving me plenty off time to recover, I would'nt do big mileage runs twice a day, just a handy few miles. Last night done 6miles easy pace but when I got home I felt sick, could'nt hold anything down all evening, got the hot and cold shivers went to bed felt crap this morning so took the day off work. I woke today at 1pm felt a good bit better and as the day went on was feeling better by the minute, so I went out for a run did'nt bother looking at the watch during the run, ended up doing 8miles in 6.33min/mile pace, was a bit surprised at the pace because it felt easy. Not sure how the training will go next week, as I'm off too San Fransico for 8 days, I'll try and get a few runs in each morning, sweat the booze out off the system ;).

Ya the weather sucks at the moment. I need a hoover craft to get out the drive of my house never mind trying to run out. Its hard to get consecutive training with the weather.

Its hard to avoid colds, flus, etc...this time of year. Anyway enjoy SF take it easyover there, nice city try not to end up in the "End up" club......

The plan was to do 10miles this evening,everything was fine till about 4 miles, I landed on a branch, felt a sharp pain in my left calf enough for me to stop running. I tried to run again, I could still fell the pain, stopped for about 10minutes try to strech it off, I decided to abandon the run and I walked for about 10minutes before I started a light jog back to the house. Hopefully it ain't too bad, have skins recovery tights on. I'll see how I am 2morow might do a gentle jog in the morning 2 test the waters.

I got out for a run today, was'nt sure how the left calf would hold up, anytime I pushed the pace I would get some pain and also running down hill I felt some pain. I backed off on the pace and managed 14miles avg pace 7.40 min/mile. I plan to do 6miles sunday in San Fran to bring my total miles for this week over 50. Next week I plan to do 6milers every morning just to keep things ticking over.

Just back from San Fran jet lagg has kicked in big time. Had a great time but running wise I was a lazy git, only got 2 runs in and they were only 40 minutes each. I weighed myself this morning and the scales shot up to 12stone 1lb, over 9lbs in weight difference before I left, although I suspect alot this could be fluids. Time to get the diet back in order, want to get back down to 11stone 5lbs by christmas. I have to get running back on track so plan is to get out and do an hour or so of running 2nite.

• Advertisement

Just back from San Fran jet lagg has kicked in big time. Had a great time but running wise I was a lazy git, only got 2 runs in and they were only 40 minutes each. I weighed myself this morning and the scales shot up to 12stone 1lb, over 9lbs in weight difference before I left, although I suspect alot this could be fluids. Time to get the diet back in order, want to get back down to 11stone 5lbs by christmas. I have to get running back on track so plan is to get out and do an hour or so of running 2nite.

Still have 22ibs on you.
    18 weeks to go so you may take your finger out kid.

Advertisement