Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam 2010 sub 2.50

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

the training seems to be working.

I don't think so Heff, you are just being modest. Very few of us could drop in 5 @ 5:35 and feel in control after a few months of dedicated running. I know you've been doing Tri's etc but that's still impressive.
    I've said it before but in my opinion you really should think about focusing on the shorter stuff once Rotterdam is taken care of. From the above it looks like you could run times most of us would only dream about. Then again its up to you and what you enjoy doing.

Endurance can be drilled into people but raw speed like you have is much harder to come by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Wed 8.14miles avg 6.46m/m - Weather was brutal, planned to do 10 but was freezing cold so called it a day.

Thurs 15miles avg 6.27m/m - Best day for running this week no ice, rain or hurricanes!

dermCu thanks for the flattering comments, but I think having a bit of speed is only part of the equation ie a small part, 95% would be a combination of lifestyle, training, dedication and goals etc. I ain't complaining as I'm enjoying the running at the moment and any improvements will be more than welcome :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

A nice run to finish the year. Good luck in 2010 Heff.

Thanks slogger Jogger, going out now for a bit off rehydration:D

Mon 6.2mile avg 7.30pace - First run in a few days, had been sick

Today was my first run since new years eve. Not sure if it was food poison or a stomach bug on new years days, I woke up feeling sh1t, was sick all weekend only started to eat sunday evening. So last weeks mileage was 39miles. Still not feeling 100% and with the bad weather at the moment I was'nt going to let it stop me, so at lunch hour today I went to moore street and bought a cheese grater and screwed it too an old pair off runners I had. It works a very well, tones of grip did'nt slip once. I plan to get plenty of miles in this week, I'm also going to lay off the booze during the week until dungarvan 10miler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Mon 6.2mile avg 7.30pace - First run in a few days, had been sick

Today was my first run since new years eve. Not sure if it was food poison or a stomach bug on new years days, I woke up feeling sh1t, was sick all weekend only started to eat sunday evening. So last weeks mileage was 39miles. Still not feeling 100% and with the bad weather at the moment I was'nt going to let it stop me, so at lunch hour today I went to moore street and bought a cheese grater and screwed it too an old pair off runners I had. It works a very well, tones of grip did'nt slip once. I plan to get plenty of miles in this week, I'm also going to lay off the booze during the week until dungarvan 10miler.

You should have put that grater on the new thread 2 weeks ago.........

Tues 10miles avg 6.50m/m - Lovely night for a run, has some class tunes on the ipod.

Wed 6miles avg 7.09m/m - Had a great run tonight, the park was like a winter wonderland, no cars on the back roads, was bounding like a deer through some off the fresh powder. Chester field avenue was like a car park from castleknock gate to parkgate street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭traininglog

great training log hefsarmy,have you got a coach or where are you getting your training from?when is the marathon?
    whats your longest run so far,as many people have commented you seem to have plenty of speed but how are you finding the longer stuff?
    have you done a half marathon before?

Traininglog things are'nt going too bad, although being sick last week and the weather at present don't help. I'm using Daniels running formula as a basis for my training, the marathon is in Rotterdam 11th april. I've done a 20miler so far, but I'll be picking up the pace on these when I get a few under the belt. Last year done the Connemarathon in 1hr 22mins, I would be alot faster than this now.

• Advertisement

Thurs 12.5miles avg 7.10 - Very foggy in the park made things a little cold, still plenty of snow on the ground, nice plesent run.

Fri - Rest

Sat 20miles avg 7.20m/m - Pace was slow today, found the run though as ploughing through the snow takes it toll on the legs. I suppose its a good strenght work out for the legs. Glad to finish the run, some mad heads in the park, one fella was in a canoe being towed around the roads by a car, I was target practice for about 10 kids with snow balls. The auld cheese graters did'nt last the run will have to stick another one to my soles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Sat 20miles avg 7.20m/m

How do you think 7.20 minute miles in the snow compares to your normal pace on the road or grass? Must add close to 30 seconds per mile IMO.

TheRoadRunner, I think you could easily add 30secs to normal pace when running in heavy snow, I found myself running on the road today were the snow was alot more compact, must easier to keep a steady pace going.

Sun 7mile - avg 7.15 - This was a recovery run, even though the pace was quicker than yesterday felt alot easier as I decided to run on the road were the snow was more compact.

This weeks total 60+ miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Sat 20miles avg 7.20m/m - Pace was slow today

Great running and training with so much time to go before Rotterdam. How far do you plan to go on your long run? Theres a school of thought that your long run should last as long as your planned race time i.e 2:50 (I think you'll be pushing 2:40-2:45 though). That would put you in line for running 24-26 miles as your long run, is that something you are planning on doing or will you do pacier 22 mile runs? Tunguska has made the 26 mile LSRs all the rage for 2010.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

TheRoadRunner, I think you could easily add 30secs to normal pace when running in heavy snow, I found myself running on the road today were the snow was alot more compact, must easier to keep a steady pace going.

Yeah I noticed that myself yesterday. Ran my last mile on snow free roads and it was close to 50 seconds quicker than running on the snowy footpaths :eek:. I was probably a little overexcited when I got running freely.

I'm sure this snow running can have benefits for strengthening leg muscles but I'm getting a bit wary of potential leg injuries now as well.

Thanks Gringo78, I plan to do up 24miles, if I'm feeling good I might go over the 26miles, depends on the day and the run. It will be the furthest I have ran in training, it will be a good mental boost if I do it a decent pace.

TheRoad Runner its crazy the difference in pace, it feels like I have been training in the artic the last few weeks, looking forward to running on the pavement. I wonder how many people have got injured over running on the snow, to be honest I don't know off any, although the runners I do know alot did'nt bother to go running on the snow.

Mon 10miles avg 7.10 - Feet were soaking running through sluch and ice, I think I need a holiday.

Tues 0miles - Got lazy weather did'nt help, blowing a gale.

Wed 10miles avg 6.20m/m - First enjoyable run in what feels like a longtime, no ice, snow, wind, rain or cheese graters;) Plan to get out for 18 or so 2nite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Wed 10miles avg 6.20m/m - First enjoyable run in what feels like a longtime, no ice, snow, wind, rain or cheese graters;) Plan to get out for 18 or so 2nite.

Very nice Heff, you are flying. Interested to see how you get on tonight with that 18. I'd be a bit wrecked the day after 10 miles like that.

• Advertisement

Thurs - Things did'nt go too plan, came home start messing around with new chain rings for my bike and I had promised to bring the wife to the local for dinner, gets her out off the kitchen now and again :D Ended up no running.

Fri 18miles avg 7.04m/m - Had the day off work, so it was handy to recover from the few beers last night, started off slow then picked up the pace towards the end of the run, last 2 miles felt a bit tough as I was dehydrated, did'nt take on any fluids during the run. On another note I bought a gore waterproof running jacket 'mythos' a few weeks ago, its like putting a plastic bag over me, I sweat buckets in it. After todays run the sweat just poured out off the sleeves. Personally I think all that gortex marketing is BS, breathable my arse, I have an old nike jacket I don't sweat half as much in. Rant over about the jacket.

Thanks Dermot, you definetly picked the right time for your holiday last week and you got some runs nice runs in yourself. The hills you were running must have been savage as I know you do plenty of mountain running. I think I'll start running over howth head, as part off my training to help strenghten the legs, I done it a few times last year and felt great after it.

Sat 6.2 miles avg 9.21m/m - Went for a run with the Bro yesterday pace was slow, I did'nt mind, nice day for a run.

Sun 11miles avg 6.52m/m - This was a tempo session over 2mile warm up and 2mile cooldown, 6 x 1mile tempo pace with 1minute rest. Mile tempo pace are below, nice day for a run, did'nt need a jacket was sweating buckets.

mile 1 - 5.51m/m
    mile 2 - 5.48m/m
    mile 3 - 5.49m/m
    mile 4 - 5.55m/m
    mile 5 - 5.54m/m
    mile 6 - 5.43m/m

Total miles this wk 55+

Next week I will be popping my cheery with a 70mile+ wk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

enjoying the log heffsarmy

10 miles @ 6'20 is some running! Good luck with the run in to rotterdam

Thanks theboyblunder,

Mon 6.2miles avg 6.50m/m - Plan was to do 10miles but I did'nt get out off work till late, so just got in a nice miler instead.

Tues 11.5miles avg 6.47 - 10min warmup followed by 4 x (12min tempo pace + 2min jog), 10min cooldown. Split pace for 12min reps below. Was happy with the tempo pace just under 6m/m, its was windy 2nite in the park.

1st rep - 5.57m/m
    2nd rep - 5.55m/m
    3rd rep - 5.56m/m
    4th rep - 5.57m/m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Tues 11.5miles avg 6.47 - 10min warmup followed by 4 x (12min tempo pace + 2min jog), 10min cooldown. Split pace for 12min reps below. Was happy with the tempo pace just under 6m/m, its was windy 2nite in the park.

1st rep - 5.57m/m
    2nd rep - 5.55m/m
    3rd rep - 5.56m/m
    4th rep - 5.57m/m

Good session there heff. Which of the 12 min do you find the most difficult ? Or do you go on heart rate ???

Thanks viallge runner, I did'nt find any off the reps anymore difficult than the other, on each rep I had to run into a strong head wind which made things diffcult to keep a steady pace, but over all it was a enjoyable run. Roll on Dungarvan I'll be happy with 59.59.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

Thanks viallge runner, I did'nt find any off the reps anymore difficult than the other, on each rep I had to run into a strong head wind which made things diffcult to keep a steady pace, but over all it was a enjoyable run. Roll on Dungarvan I'll be happy with 59.59.

10 miles in 6:20 pace in trainin...
    You'll smash 60 mins in Dungarvan...by a long shot!!!
    Best of luck with it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Roll on Dungarvan I'll be happy with 59.59.

Ya right. You've made a massive improvement since the LAKEs 10K in Sept.
    57's for you in Dungarvan lad, no problem

• Advertisement

Thanks TJC, Abhainn I would be delighted with if I got into the 57s, sure I'll see what happens on the day.

Wed 5miles avg 6.50m/m - Wanted to get a longer run in but was'nt feelin too good, so cut the run short.

Thurs 10.5miles avg 7m/m - Nothing special just a handy 10miler.

Frid 5miles avg 7m/m - Just a handy 5miler.

Plan to get out for a few miles 2nite, then a 20miler 2moro with a few miles at tempo pace thrown in. I won't hit 70miles this wk as I hoped, it will have to wait for another week.

Advertisement