Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam 2010 sub 2.50

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Sat - Ended up no running

Sun 20miles - I enjoyed the run 2day, 2mile warm up + 4 x (1mile tempo + 1min rest) + 9.5miles easy running + 3mile tempo + 1.5mile cooldown. This was'nt a typical 20miler for me and was dreading doing the 3mile tempo but to be honest did'nt find it too bad, felt grand after it. Tempo rep pace below

1st 5.53m/m
    2nd 6m/m
    3rd 5.54m/m
    4th 5.59m/m

3mile tempo 6m/m

Total for the week 58miles - had planned to get into the 70s but that can wait for another week, when I'm feeling up for it.

Mon 5miles pace 7.27m/m - Recovery run

Tues 11miles pace 6.32m/m - Steady pace run, enjoyable run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Some good sessions there heff. You are flying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good work Heff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Keep it up Heff. You will be true to your title.
    Sub 2.50 i hope.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads things are gooing well, lookin forward to race on sunday, hope we get a fine day.

Wed 10.5miles pace 6.49m/m - Had a good session 2nite really enjoyed it. started off 10 min warmup + 4 x (1mile Tempo + 1min rest) + 5min Easy + 3 x (1mile Tempo + 1min rest) + 10min cooldown. Tempo pace reps below

1st 5.50m/m
    2nd 5.55m/m
    3rd 6m/m
    4th 5.52m/m
    5th 5.49m/m
    6th 5.54m/m
    7th 5.28m/m ran the last quater of this mile fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

That's another great session Heff. Best of luck in Dungarvan. Just watch out for that first mile. With the kind of form that you are in the temptation will be there to blast out the first mile. Doing that could ruin what would have been a smashing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

savage running! great stuff. wish i could do that....

Just a quick update, was over cautious for first few miles off the race as I stayed overnight and ended up on the beer, not too many, half a bakers dozen. It was a great day for a run happy with finishing time 57min 18secs, felt good all the way during the race. Lookin forward too a few beers this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Just a quick update, was over cautious for first few miles off the race as I stayed overnight and ended up on the beer, not too many, half a bakers dozen. It was a great day for a run happy with finishing time 57min 18secs, felt good all the way during the race. Lookin forward too a few beers this afternoon.

so thats the trick, beer the night before the race ! And there I was drinking water & eating porridge :rolleyes:

Good job Heff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

That's a great time heffsarmy. congrats. Is that a pb for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

JI stayed overnight and ended up on the beer, not too many, half a bakers dozen. It was a great day for a run happy with finishing time 57min 18secs, felt good all the way during the race.

That would have been quite a time with no beer, so with beer the night before its quite an astonishing run....will be interesting to see how fast you go over the next few years considering you're relatively new to this game

Great run Heff. Get in a couple of quality long runs over the next few weeks and sub 2:40 will be a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

+1 the times you are running in training and now races make this a realistic target. I'll be keeping an eye on your progress as 2.40 is my goal this spring and I'm no where near you at this moment in time. Keep it lit.

Is that a pb for you?

Thats a pb
    dermCu wrote: »
    Get in a couple of quality long runs over the next few weeks and sub 2:40 will be a possibility.

I'm goin to get another race in next month if all goin well I'll have a crack at sub2.40.

I drove the course before the run and the last 2miles were a bit of a drag so I wanted to keep some in reserve and not blow up. First mile I thought was handy pace but was a 5.23 m/m I was running behind a group of about 15 lads, I had'nt run a 10mile race in ages (it was my 2nd) and just wanted to get under the hour so I eased off the pace with a second mile 5.39m/m, I dropped off the back off the group and paired up with 2 other lads, we kept a handy pace for about 3miles into in a slight head wind with a 5.41, 5.53, 5.52. Hit the 5mile mark at 28.30. I felt good at the 5miles and we kept a decent pace, had one lad running shoulder to shoulder for about 3miles, 5.49, 5.45, 5.44. I knew the drag was coming up, but I felt strong so I kicked on and dropped the lad off my shoulder and started to catch a few lads on the hill and on the last mile, 5.45 and finishing mile 5.30. I had a good bit left in the tank and looking back on the race I should have stayed in behind the group off lads, they would have given me better shelter into the head wind. Something I will use in my next run. It was a great race and has to be one off the best value races in Ireland, credit to the organisers. It would be great if other organisers took this approach instead of being out too screw people. Will be back next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

well done heff,great time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Thats a pb

I'm goin to get another race in next month if all goin well I'll have a crack at sub2.40.

I drove the course before the run and the last 2miles were a bit of a drag so I wanted to keep some in reserve and not blow up. First mile I thought was handy pace but was a 5.23 m/m I was running behind a group of about 15 lads, I had'nt run a 10mile race in ages (it was my 2nd) and just wanted to get under the hour so I eased off the pace with a second mile 5.39m/m, I dropped off the back off the group and paired up with 2 other lads, we kept a handy pace for about 3miles into in a slight head wind with a 5.41, 5.53, 5.52. Hit the 5mile mark at 28.30. I felt good at the 5miles and we kept a decent pace, had one lad running shoulder to shoulder for about 3miles, 5.49, 5.45, 5.44. I knew the drag was coming up, but I felt strong so I kicked on and dropped the lad off my shoulder and started to catch a few lads on the hill and on the last mile, 5.45 and finishing mile 5.30. I had a good bit left in the tank and looking back on the race I should have stayed in behind the group off lads, they would have given me better shelter into the head wind. Something I will use in my next run. It was a great race and has to be one off the best value races in Ireland, credit to the organisers. It would be great if other organisers took this approach instead of being out too screw people. Will be back next year.
    Savage heff absolutly savage:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Abhainn wrote: »
    57's for you in Dungarvan lad, no problem

See heff I told you. But seems if you had gotten the finger out a 56 was a good possibility.
    Very solid last mile too.
    It will a good tester churning out those 06:05 miles come big race day - keep it going.

Mon Drove back up from Dungarvan so took a rest day

Tues 6miles avg 7.30m/m - More off a recovery run

Wed 8miles avg 6.57m/m - Easy pace run

Thurs 10miles avg 7m/m - Easy pace run

Fri 12miles avg 6.54m/m - Was suppsoed to do this run on thursday but felt tired,so ran it 2nite instead. It was a good session, 10min warmup + 2 x (18mins Tempo + 3min Rest) + 12min Tempo + 20min easy run.

18min avg 5.51m/m
    18min avg 5.53m/m
    12min avg 5.52m/m

Sat - Went for a game off golf instead off a run. Great day to be out and about.

Sun 18miles avg 7m/m - Planned to do 20miles, did'nt feel great starting the run, got worse as each mile passed then come the last 2miles I was feeling like sh1t, so I cut the run short. Only 9wks left till marathon, I realize I'll have to pick things up a bite and improve my enduance.

Weeks total 54miles.

• Advertisement

Mon 6 miles avg 7.33m/m - This was a recovery run

Tues 8 miles avg 6.43m/m - Steady paced run, nice evening for a run.

Wed 11miles avg 6.32 - 2miles E + 20min T + 10min E + 20min T + 2miles E, getting used to running at tempo pace avg 5.50m/m, should make running at MP alot easier during my long runs.

Thurs 15miles avg 7.08m/m - This run started fine but felt harder towards the end than it should have been, maybe I was tired after last nights session.

2nite plan to get out for a recovery run, want to be fresh for long run on sunday.

Fri - Ended up going for a few pints after work

Sat 7miles avg 7.10m/m - Had a bite off a sore head on me starting off, but nice morning for a run. Plan to get a 21miler in tommorow.

Sat Evening 5miles avg 7.50m/m - Did'nt plan to run tonight but I lost a few quid on the Ireland game :( , so went for a jog to clear the head.

Sun 19miles avg 7.02m/m - The plan was to get a 21miler in today with plenty of Tempo pace miles thrown in, but I got called into work last night at 1am did'nt get home till 5am, was wrecked this morning so opted for an easy LSR instead. Felt tired all the way around and I was counting down the miles as they went, I hate to do that on a long run, prefer for the miles to drift by. Had a gel at 16miles, then picked up the pace for the last 3miles 6.25m/m. Feel tired now, but wife wants to be wined, I'm not in the humour.

Total week - 71miles (This is the most I have ran in one week so pleased to be making new ground)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Sun 19miles avg 7.02m/m - The plan was to get a 21miler in today with plenty of Tempo pace miles thrown in, but I got called into work last night at 1am did'nt get home till 5am, was wrecked this morning so opted for an easy LSR instead. Felt tired all the way around and I was counting down the miles as they went, I hate to do that on a long run, prefer for the miles to drift by. Had a gel at 16miles, then picked up the pace for the last 3miles 6.25m/m. Feel tired now, but wife wants to be wined, I'm not in the humour.

Total week - 71miles (This is the most I have ran in one week so pleased to be making new ground)

Thats madness....animal stuff heff. Easy LSR....one day that pace for 19m will be easy for me...one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Know what ya mean about the wife (mine that is, not yours !) She still can't believe she's married to an athlete (she's an artist).
    Great running though Heff, its logs like yours that spur me on. When is your marathon again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Know what ya mean about the wife (mine that is, not yours !) She still can't believe she's married to an athlete (she's an artist).
    Great running though Heff, its logs like yours that spur me on. When is your marathon again?
    Rotterdam Apr 11th. And i bet it cant come quick enough.

Rotterdam Apr 11th. And i bet it cant come quick enough.

I need more faster long runs then I'll be happier :)
    one day that pace for 19m will be easy for me...one day.

misty floyd with the amount of quality training your doing it ain't too far away ;)
    Speedy44 wrote: »
    Know what ya mean about the wife (mine that is, not yours !)

:D She has twisted my arm headin for a few pints later

Mon 3miles avg 7.47m/m - Planned a 5miler but left calf felt very tight, stopped a few times to stretch, cut the run short and done plenty of stretching when I got home, felt alot better today.

Tues 12.2miles avg 6.27m/m - Great evening for a run, left calf felt a little tight but when I warmed up things were grand. Plan 2nite was a 2mile warm up + 8 x ( 6mins T pace + 30secs Rest) + 2mile cooldown. Everything went too plan except before the last rep, I had to releive myself ate too many pancakes before run. The tempo rep pace was a bit all over the place.

1st 5.46m/m
    2nd 5.39m/m
    3rd 5.44m/m
    4th 5.46m/m
    5th 5.45m/m
    6th 5.50m/m
    7th 5.52m/m
    8th 5.53m/m

• Advertisement

The quantity and pace are impressive enough but 30s rest?? That's frightening. You've just about slowed down and your off again. Great stuff.

Do you come to a complete halt for that 30s or do you do an active easy jog?

Advertisement