Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam 2010 sub 2.50

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Thanks Dermot sounds like your over the worst of the knee problem with the run last night. Last nights run was from Daniels Running formula book, during the 30s I just walk or jog, but I would prefer not too stop as it knocks me out of my stride. I would prefer to do 2 x (24mins Tempo + 2mins rest), I'm gonna stick to his sessions though as they seem to be working for me.

Wed 0miles - Got stuck in work did'nt get home till late

Thurs 16miles avg 6.47m/m - Pace felt very comfortable, I think those tempo runs are starting to pay off.

Fri 5miles avg 7.47m/m - This was a recovery run, want legs to be fresh for long run sunday.

Was reading a post on ideal race weight and it was a bit off an eye opener for me. I'm 5' 11 and over 72kg, about 4.5kg heavier then the min race weight or 8kg heavier than race weight for a person my height. If I even drop 4.5kg before Rotterdam that will have serious impact on my results, time too get food intake cleaned up.

Sat 6mile avg 6.59m/m - Easy pace run.

Sun 18miles avg 6.17m/m - Started the run with 2 easy pace miles then picked up the pace and held it at around 6.12m/m for the rest off the run. Stopped twice for water and a gel. It was a nice day for a run, glad to see all the snow melted away by the time I got out.

Total for the wk, 60miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Where do you do your long runs heff. Savage speed btw. Id manage 2 miles max 3 at that pace then face plant:D

• Advertisement

Cheers Frank I do all my running in the phoneix park, how is Ken gettin on with the running?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great running Heff.

Mon 5miles avg 7.49m/m - Recovery run

Tues Beer

Wed 6miles avg 7.36m/m - Hangover run

Thurs 10miles avg 7m/m - Easy pace run

Fri 5miles avg 7m/m - Easy pace run

Sat 23miles avg7.22m/m - Ran with brother in law, he dropped off at around 15miles, I picked up the pace from this point onwards, around 6.30m/m.

Total for week 49miles

I'm going too rest up today as I'm nursing another hangover. This was an easy week for me, had a little niggle in my left calf last week, seems to be gone now. This step back wk will give me the drive for the next 6wks till marathon, goin to cut down on the beer for the next few weeks also.

Mon 8.1miles avg 6.47m/m - A nice evening for a run although it was very dark out.

Tues 14.5miles avg 6.23m/m - 2 x (20min Easy + 20min Tempo) + 2mile cooldown. For some reason I was'nt looking forward to this run but it turned out to be an enjoyable session, felt in control all the way the tempo pace felt easy.

1st 20min - 5.47m/m
    2nd 20min - 5.49m/m

Wed 5miles avg 7.17m/m - Recovery pace run

Thurs 10miles avg 6.47m/m - Easy pace run

Fri Rest

Sat 6miles avg 7m/m - Easy pace run

Sun 22miles avg 6.38m/m - 2 1/2mile warm up + 4 x (5min Tempo + 1min Rest) + 10miles Easy + 4 x (5min Tempo + 1min Rest) + 2.2mile cooldown. It was a great day for a run, weather was perfect, took two gels and 1 1/2 litres off water. Felt comfortable all the way through the run, avg tempo pace 5.48m/m. The cooldown felt easy and was suprised to see the watch at 6.20m/m pace for the 2.2miles.

Total for the wk 65.73miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Wed 5miles avg 7.17m/m - Recovery pace run

Thurs 10miles avg 6.47m/m - Easy pace run

Fri Rest

Sat 6miles avg 7m/m - Easy pace run

Sun 22miles avg 6.38m/m - 2 1/2mile warm up + 4 x (5min Tempo + 1min Rest) + 10miles Easy + 4 x (5min Tempo + 1min Rest) + 2.2mile cooldown. It was a great day for a run, weather was perfect, took two gels and 1 1/2 litres off water. Felt comfortable all the way through the run, avg tempo pace 5.48m/m. The cooldown felt easy and was suprised to see the watch at 6.20m/m pace for the 2.2miles.

Total for the wk 65.73miles

When you do quality you really do it. Great session.
    You really put in some great miles. Only 5 weeks to go. 2.45 looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

wow thats just awesome. 5 weeks now Heff. How much of a taper will you be doing?

2.45 looks good.

Thanks VR, I'm gonna have a crack at 2.45.
    How much of a taper will you be doing?

Thanks MF, I'm going to drop the overall weekly mileage for the last 5 weeks according to Danlies running marathon program, something like 80%, 70%, 70%, 60%, 50% from my peak week of 70miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Thats some savage training heff. You make me sick:D

Mon 4miles avg 7.50m/m - Recovery run

Tues 5miles avg 7.15m/m - Calfs felt tight

Wed 14.5miles avg 6.51 - 8mile Easy + 5 x (6min T + 1 min jog) + 1mile cooldown. Avg Tempo pace 5.45m/m, it was a freezing cold run, could'nt open the hall door when finished, hands were numb, had to get a neighbour to open the hall door.

Thurs - Got my first sports massage, it hurt, was bitting my hand like a baby. Legs fell very good next day, done wonders for my calfs. Going to get another one in 2weeks time.

Fri 5miles avg 6.40m/m - It was like running with new legs, enjoyable short run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Mon 4miles avg 7.50m/m - Recovery run

Tues 5miles avg 7.15m/m - Calfs felt tight

Wed 14.5miles avg 6.51 - 8mile Easy + 5 x (6min T + 1 min jog) + 1mile cooldown. Avg Tempo pace 5.45m/m, it was a freezing cold run, could'nt open the hall door when finished, hands were numb, had to get a neighbour to open the hall door.

Thurs - Got my first sports massage, it hurt, was bitting my hand like a baby. Legs fell very good next day, done wonders for my calfs. Going to get another one in 2weeks time.

Fri 5miles avg 6.40m/m - It was like running with new legs, enjoyable short run.

Decent run there on wed!

Interesting to hear about your calves, mine have been at me too lately, think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get a sports massage, not looking forward to the pain, but if it helps (like for you), then its all good!

tisnotover wrote: »
    I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get a sports massageQUOTE]

Mate it worked wonders for me, kept on sayin to myself 'no pain no gain':D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I got one massage before and the guy doing it told me to shout out whatever I wanted, just go for it, he said. I called him a fncken prick at full volume and he laughed.

I wish I had touretts for a day.........ya fncken pricks :D

Sat 5miles avg 7.14m/m - Easy pace run

Sun 22miles avg 6.37m/m - Very enjoayble run, started off with easy pace then gradually picked up the pace after 10miles, last 5miles 6.15m/m with the last 2miles 5.56, 5.44. Felt comfortable all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Sat 5miles avg 7.14m/m - Easy pace run

Sun 22miles avg 6.37m/m - Very enjoayble run, started off with easy pace then gradually picked up the pace after 10miles, last 5miles 6.15m/m with the last 2miles 5.56, 5.44. Felt comfortable all the way.

Get stronger all the time. Only 4 weeks to go now. Training is going very well. Any last min races planned ??

• Advertisement

Training is going very well. Any last min races planned ??

Thanks village runner, I'm enjoying the running lately. I'm not going to do any races before the marathon. I wish the marathon was next week after reading Krusty and Abhainn marathon reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks village runner, I'm enjoying the running lately. I'm not going to do any races before the marathon. I wish the marathon was next week after reading Krusty and Abhainn marathon reports.
    That's the hardest part of the training... the waiting.. :)
    Some superb sessions.. Very envious.. Finishing a 22 mile race at around 10k pace?!

Mon 4miles avg 7.30 - This was a recovery run, I picked up a massive blister on the sole of my left foot from sundays run, so took things easy.

Tues 5 miles avg 6.57 - Easy pace run, the blister was hampering my run.

Wed 8miles avg 6.37 - Plan was to do 2 x (5miles Easy + 3miles Tempo) + 2mile cooldown. Everything was going grand until the end of the first 3 Tempo miles, the blister was hurting bad so I cut the run short. Ended up doing a bit os surgery on the foot with tcp and a scissors, very sore.

Thurs 5miles avg 6.42 - I wore a thick pair of socks which seem to have done the job.

Fri Rest

Sat 5miles avg 6.25 - This was a nice comfortable run

Sun 18.76mile avg 6.13 - This was one off Tergats sessions, 2mile Easy + 5,4,3,2,1 with 2min jog + 1mile cooldown. The plan was to keep PMP at 6.04 according to Daniels VDOT table. The average marathon pace for todays run was 6.02, once I got going it was handy to keep the pace. I did have to stop after the first 5miles for a pit stop, but overall happy with the run.

Total miles 45.83 - Should have been more this week, but at least I'm over the blister as the feet are grand today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Mon 4miles avg 7.30 - This was a recovery run, I picked up a massive blister on the sole of my left foot from sundays run, so took things easy.

Tues 5 miles avg 6.57 - Easy pace run, the blister was hampering my run.

Wed 8miles avg 6.37 - Plan was to do 2 x (5miles Easy + 3miles Tempo) + 2mile cooldown. Everything was going grand until the end of the first 3 Tempo miles, the blister was hurting bad so I cut the run short. Ended up doing a bit os surgery on the foot with tcp and a scissors, very sore.

Thurs 5miles avg 6.42 - I wore a thick pair of socks which seem to have done the job.

Fri Rest

Sat 5miles avg 6.25 - This was a nice comfortable run

Sun 18.76mile avg 6.13 - This was one off Tergats sessions, 2mile Easy + 5,4,3,2,1 with 2min jog + 1mile cooldown. The plan was to keep PMP at 6.04 according to Daniels VDOT table. The average marathon pace for todays run was 6.02, once I got going it was handy to keep the pace. I did have to stop after the first 5miles for a pit stop, but overall happy with the run.

Total miles 45.83 - Should have been more this week, but at least I'm over the blister as the feet are grand today.

Great run today. Are you going all out for sub 2.40 now?

Hoping to be at 2.42-43 pace myself. Im envious of your Daniels and Tergat type sessions now. Being able to complete these sessions on target must be great for the confidence.

T runner wrote: »
    Are you going all out for sub 2.40 now?

Thanks T runner, I'm gonna give the sub 2.40 a shot, just hope the endurnace holds up, it will be touch and go for me to get under it, but if I don't try I'll never know. I'm suprised how well the training has gone, although I have'nt had any injuries which makes a big difference. Will that be a pb for you T runner? have you run Paris before? looks like a cracking marathon to do.

Thanks T runner, I'm gonna give the sub 2.40 a shot, just hope the endurnace holds up, it will be touch and go for me to get under it, but if I don't try I'll never know. I'm suprised how well the training has gone, although I have'nt had any injuries which makes a big difference. Will that be a pb for you T runner? have you run Paris before? looks like a cracking marathon to do.

Never ran a marathon before so it will be a PB. Ive heard its good and fast. Gary Crossan (first Irish in Dublin a few times) ran 2:19 there before. Never had world records like Rotterdam though.

Youre right to gun for 2.40. That pace wont be too fast for you and youll get into the twenties in one piece. Those long sessions with the fast running at the end will kick in then to keep the legs turning to help you duck under the time.

Mon Rest - Had some sort off stomach bug

Tues 6miles avg 7m/m - Easy pace run

Wed 14.25miles avg 6.22 - 2 x (3mile Easy + 3mile Tempo) + 2.25 miles cooldown. Nice run to get the legs ticking over again, avg Tempo pace 5.42. Might try somehting similar this wkend or just do a 16mile LSR with last 5miles MP.

Thurs unpalnned Rest - Could'nt get out for a run

Fri 6m avg 7m/m - Easy pace run

Sat 7m avg 7m/m - Abnother Easy pace run

Sat 15m avg6.50m/m - Plan was to do 17 miles with a the last 5 at mp. From the first mile I felt like crap, could'nt get going, felt very sluggish, at 13 miles I felt like I had run an ultra marathon felt so depleted. I cut the run short, the last 2miles felt like I hit the wall in a marathon, it was a struggle to keep runnning. Felt **** all day yesterday, think I might be coming down with something as the wife was sick all last week. I'm not too bothered about the run as I have alreay got in a few decent long runs. Just going to keep ticking away till sunday wk and hopefully will feel alot better.

Thurs unpalnned Rest - Could'nt get out for a run

Fri 6m avg 7m/m - Easy pace run

Sat 7m avg 7m/m - Abnother Easy pace run

Sat 15m avg6.50m/m - Plan was to do 17 miles with a the last 5 at mp. From the first mile I felt like crap, could'nt get going, felt very sluggish, at 13 miles I felt like I had run an ultra marathon felt so depleted. I cut the run short, the last 2miles felt like I hit the wall in a marathon, it was a struggle to keep runnning. Felt **** all day yesterday, think I might be coming down with something as the wife was sick all last week. I'm not too bothered about the run as I have alreay got in a few decent long runs. Just going to keep ticking away till sunday wk and hopefully will feel alot better.

Youve timed the taper perfectly so :)

If its any consolation I felt like crap last weekend too. For me it was the end of a long build up I reckon. Heavy week, glycogen a bit low and time for the taper.

Youll be rested and strong as a horse come sun week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Well done on that training cycle Heff. You've put in some savage sessions and made the kind of progress that most of us only dream of.
    You've got more than enough speed to go under 2:40. You'll have the endurance - even if it gets rough I know your stubborn enough to stick it out!!

Enjoy your taper, if thats possible.

Advertisement