Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam 2010 sub 2.50

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Cheers lads this has been a good training cycle for me, no injuries and felt I was improving all the time, hope it may continue.

Mon - 5miles avg 7m/m - easy pace run

Tues 5miles avg 6.50m/m - easy pace run

Wed 5miles avg 7m/m - easy pace run

Thurs 11.75miles avg 6.19m/m - Was supposed to do this last night but did'nt get the time. 2 mile warmup + 2 x (2mile tempo+ 3min jog) + 5mile Easy. The tempo was a little quicker avg 5.37m/m than usuall, but felt like the same effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Yeah, good luck with the taper Heff. The hard work is done. Munch a few easter eggs :)

Fri - Rest

Sat - 6miles avg 7m/m - Easy pace run

Sun 13.5miles avg 6.30m/m - It was a good feeling too know I had only 13 odd miles run, started off easy and gradually picked up the pace. It was a nice day for a run. I stayed away from chocolate all day as I have been trying to eat healthy food the past few weeks, went for a few beers afterwards and got a curry on the way home last night :rolleyes:.

Its only starting to kick in the buzz of the marathon, looking forward to it...I'm still not 100% sure about my marathon pace, but I'll have a crack at sub 2.40. I'm gonna start off around 6.05m/m and see how I feel at the 18-20mile mark. I have never ran with a gel belt, headin into town today to buy one, will wear it all this week during my runs to get used too it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Fri - Rest

Sat - 6miles avg 7m/m - Easy pace run

Sun 13.5miles avg 6.30m/m - It was a good feeling too know I had only 13 odd miles run, started off easy and gradually picked up the pace. It was a nice day for a run. I stayed away from chocolate all day as I have been trying to eat healthy food the past few weeks, went for a few beers afterwards and got a curry on the way home last night :rolleyes:.

Its only starting to kick in the buzz of the marathon, looking forward to it...I'm still not 100% sure about my marathon pace, but I'll have a crack at sub 2.40. I'm gonna start off around 6.05m/m and see how I feel at the 18-20mile mark. I have never ran with a gel belt, headin into town today to buy one, will wear it all this week during my runs to get used too it.
    If you ran the 10 miler in dungarvan again how much would you improve by.........Why not go out at 2.42 and take no chances. At 2o miles pick it up. If you go out too hard there is no way back.
    Friend of mine ran 2.37 pace for 20 last year and ended up losing a min a mile the last 10km. My point the heat might be a factor.
    Your target was sub 2.50. Thats a formality if oyu dont start too hard.
    So my point is 2.42 pace for 20 and then you pass people. Gain 10 seconds a mile for the last 10km and you run 2.40 with less risk.
    I respect the distance. Imagine the buzz passing people as you are cruising the last 10km passing people that are dead on their legs.
    Happened me last year and it aint nice.

If you ran the 10 miler in dungarvan again how much would you improve by..........

I reckon I could knock 1minute or so off that time, as I feel alot stonger too hold a faster pace and if I stay off the beer the night before.
    If you go out too hard there is no way back.

Thats fear I have, don't want to blow up. I know the more cautious approach is better...But I know as soon as the gun goes any pe run plans will go out the window, to be honest I'm not great at sticking to exact paces. I'm gonna run on how I feel on the day and keep things as easy as possible for the early stages off the marathon. Hopefully I'll bunch in with a few runners of similar pace, want to get half way no quicker than 1.20 and then go for a negative split. Hopefully the heat won't be a factor this time, as my last 2 marathons were like walking from a fridge to an oven, Edinburgh was a scorcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Jasus, inspirational work being done here. Makes me want to get out there and pull my socks up properly - fair play heffsarmy! You've really put the effort in - 2:40 no worries.

heffsarmy wrote: »
    I reckon I could knock 1minute or so off that time, as I feel alot stonger too hold a faster pace and if I stay off the beer the night before.

Thats fear I have, don't want to blow up. I know the more cautious approach is better...But I know as soon as the gun goes any pe run plans will go out the window, to be honest I'm not great at sticking to exact paces. I'm gonna run on how I feel on the day and keep things as easy as possible for the early stages off the marathon. Hopefully I'll bunch in with a few runners of similar pace, want to get half way no quicker than 1.20 and then go for a negative split. Hopefully the heat won't be a factor this time, as my last 2 marathons were like walking from a fridge to an oven, Edinburgh was a scorcher.
    I know a lad with similar target. Pass on his name to you through PM if you want..............Ran 1 min quicker than you in Dungarvan. Are you in C ??? If so there will be no hold up whatsoever. A and B are the other side of hte road.

Cheers village runner, I'm in the 'B' pen, yeh sure pass on his name, if I see him over there I'll have a chat with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Best of luck at the weekend Heff. I think your strategy is the right one. It should be simple; if you are not 100% comfortable at 6:05 m/m in the first few miles then back off. You've done some incredible sessions in the last few months, don't let them go to waste by blasting out the first two miles at breakneck speed - you know yourself it'll just end up in a death-march if you do.

I look forward to hearing about a big PB and one hell of a race report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

dermCu wrote: »
    I look forward to hearing about a big PB and one hell of a race report.

+1 the very best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Best of Luck,Heff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Get to it Heffsarmy! Have a great race, and I hope you'll have happy tales to tell on your return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Good luck hope it goes well and things you can't control such as weather etc behave.

Thanks lad for all the good wishes, this is the hardest part of the training, the waiting game. I have been thinking about the run all week. The plan will be simple, easy first few miles then pick up the pace, if things are going well I'll keep going, if not I'll ease off. Lookin forward too the first ice cold beer after the race.

Mon - Rest

Tues 8.5miles avg 6.29m/m - 2miles easy + 4 x (1200m Tempo + 2 min rest) + 2miles easy. This was a nice little run too get the legs turning.

Wed 6miles avg 7m/m - Easy pace run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

ya best of luck dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Best of luck heff:-)
    Ken was filling me in on your drinking antics, your a better man than me. I wont have had a drink in 4 weeks in preseration for the weekend:-)

Thanks Lads
    Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Best of luck heff:-)
    Ken was filling me in on your drinking antics QUOTE]

Don't believe Ken and his stories ;)

Best of lucky sunday. Expecting a good report.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

Best of luck...enjoy the race!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Best of luck on Sunday....stay off the booze on Saturday. Sub 2:40 all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

heff enjoy the race, keep hydrated during and enjoy the carb hydration after

Just a quick update, it was a race off to halves, first half was sh1t got tripped twice, went over, the start was very narrow, loads of clowns putting stickers on the race bib to get into the faster pens. Done the first half in 1.22 something second half was like a different race, I started to fell comfortable in my stride picked up the pace, I think I just got under the 2.41. It was funny coming home in the 20miler, there was a terrible smell for ages, then looked across at some bird she had just sh1t herself, I kicked on had to get away from her. I'm happy with the time, sitting in residence bar with my first beer off the night :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Mega stuff. Well done. Enjoy the beers :) Well deserved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done Heff....fantastic time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

nice, enjoy the beers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Fantastic performance! See you later in the Irish Pub!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Well deserved from your training, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

Fantastic time...well done..

(The poor girl..hope she made it home in the end)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

Great performance. Well deserved after lots of miles.

Advertisement