If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quote for a Denon/Pioneer AV receiver

Options
  • 02-11-2009 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Morning John, Hope all is well. As discussed last week I need a quote for a Denon 4310/4308/3310 or a pioneer SC-lx82 please. I know these are new models on the market so not sure if you can get hold of them just yet. Also if and when you do get them instore any feedback is much appreciated. No rush for this so whenever you have spare time on your hands.

thanks a mil :D

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Boardies,

1st things 1st - Muss is the most patient & possibly one of the nicest Boardies we have ever dealt with.

Anyway - crawl over:

Denon AVR4310- £1839

Denon AVR4308 - £1399

Denon AVR3310 - £1099

Pioneer AC - LX82 (yummy) £1699.99

Thanks Muss as ever and I'm getting that w12 sorted for you for later this week - tell you Mum to start the weight lifting sessions again!

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mussdemi

:D cheers John.

Ok let me do some number crunching/comparisons. Its funny how the 4310 came more expensive then the Pioneer. I thought it would be vice versa.

Im gonna have to visit a dept store to see these units in person. Will get back to you John. :)

Is there any boardies who have either of these units yet? Any feedback/recommendation is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Hi muss,
    Nice selection of amps there....(massive understatement)

If it were me I'd go for the Denon 4308, it's a very capable, powerful amp that would do anything you could ever want or need an AV receiver to do and it would do so with aplomb.

I've not heard any of the amps listed but the Pioneer whilst def "yummy" would probably be very bright/forward in its presentation esp when compared to the Denons.

I've seen your threads over on AVforums and see that you have MA Radius HD speakers which are by reputation "bright" which would lead me to believe that the Denons would suit your setup better.

I can't help but feel that at the level of amp your looking at that it might be a bit overkill for the RadiusHD range but if you can afford it why not? What reccession??:D

Another thing, try not to get too wrapped up in features and gimmicks, at the end of the day it's all about how good it sounds and I reckon that any of the Denons would fit the bill perfectly.

You can disregard some or all of the above if you wish as I have not actually heard any of them.:o

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Moo

P.S. I'm having a hard time picking an amp also, so I feel your pain brother.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Jees, it'd be great to be in the same position as the OP. For the time being though, I'll have to stick with my Onkyo 505.

As for the prices John quoted you above mussdemi, <SNIP !> I've never used them before, and as such can't recommend them.

<SNIP>

And I'll take 10% of the difference as a finders fee! ;)

Oh yeah, this might help you out too moolers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Soarer wrote: »
    <SNIP !>

<SNIP> :confused:

• Advertisement

Neilw wrote: »
    SNIP:

Ah jaysus! :o

Must admit I didn't do any research on them. SNIP

Hi muss,

If it were me I'd go for the Denon 4308, it's a very capable, powerful amp that would do anything you could ever want or need an AV receiver to do and it would do so with aplomb.

4308 seems to be a good amp - although an older model it appears to have a better spec then the 4310 - I read an article about it comparing. Even on the Denon site if you compare the specs 4308 stands out more. http://www.denon.co.uk/site/popup/index.php?p=vergleich_real&Pid=340&vPidN[0]=412 i always saw the 4308 a direct competitor with the Yamaha DSP-z7 - One which John - RS cannot supply. I heard Yamaha were bringing out a new range in January so Im wondering if there will be an upgrade to Z7?:cool:

I've not heard any of the amps listed but the Pioneer whilst def "yummy" would probably be very bright/forward in its presentation esp when compared to the Denons. Yes everyone says its a bright amp but im not sure how bad this actuallly is.:confused: i still havent heard this unit in person yet.....

I've seen your threads over on AVforums and see that you have MA Radius HD speakers which are by reputation "bright" which would lead me to believe that the Denons would suit your setup better.

I can't help but feel that at the level of amp your looking at that it might be a bit overkill for the RadiusHD range but if you can afford it why not? What reccession??:D Overkill - most likely yes. But the way I see it its an investment - buy one thats a premium product and never worry about it for a few years. :cool: recession?? let me WIKI it....:D The way I see it people will still continue to buy things they want regardless. Might need to sacrifice or cut down on a few other things off cource. :(

Another thing, try not to get too wrapped up in features and gimmicks, at the end of the day it's all about how good it sounds and I reckon that any of the Denons would fit the bill perfectly. SOOO True.... but like other things its good to have extras. I like options and flexibility.:D

You can disregard some or all of the above if you wish as I have not actually heard any of them.:o :eek:...just kiddin!!!

Moo

what would be good is if John rents out demo units for a 2 week trial (at an expense off course) and save us from all this misery and pain. ;)

Hi muss,

I've not heard any of the amps listed but the Pioneer whilst def "yummy" would probably be very bright/forward in its presentation esp when compared to the Denons.

I can't help but feel that at the level of amp your looking at that it might be a bit overkill for the RadiusHD range but if you can afford it why not? What reccession??:D

Another thing, try not to get too wrapped up in features and gimmicks, at the end of the day it's all about how good it sounds and I reckon that any of the Denons would fit the bill perfectly.

You can disregard some or all of the above if you wish as I have not actually heard any of them.:o

Moo

Soarer wrote: »
    Jees, it'd be great to be in the same position as the OP. For the time being though, I'll have to stick with my Onkyo 505.

<SNIP>

Oh yeah, this might help you out too moolers.

thanks for this mate. Actually Peter Tyson do this unit - 4310 for £1639 :eek:
    I think my heart just missed a beat. :eek: there goes the 10% you were after ;)

mussdemi wrote: »
    SNIP ;)

Well be prepared to miss another beat, as the price I quoted was € and not £. SNIP
    So am I back on for that 10%?? ;)

LOL - touché :D ok you got me.....

• Advertisement

LOL - touché :D ok you got me.....

Guys we N E V E R knock other retailers - however it may be useful to read this thread on AV Forums before ordering something expensive from Simply Electronics http://www.avforums.com/forums/camcorders-video-editing/739921-simply-electronics.html also they are not authorised Denon Dealers - however as ever - you takes your money etc - also I know that we are based in Belfast but..

BY PURCHASING A PRODUCT THROUGH THE SITE, YOU AGREE THAT SUCH PURCHASE AND THE IMPORT OF SUCH PRODUCT COMPLIES WITH THE LAWS OF THE COUNTRY TO WHICH YOU HAVE REQUESTED SIMPLYELECTRONICS.NET TO SHIP THE PRODUCT, AND AGREE THAT YOU WILL BE CONSIDERED THE SOLE "IMPORTER" OF THE PRODUCT TO YOUR COUNTRY FOR ALL PURPOSES, INCLUDING CUSTOMS REGULATIONS AND COPYRIGHT AND TRADEMARK LAWS. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT SIMPLYELECTRONICS.NET'S ROLE IS LIMITED TO PROCURING PRODUCTS AVAILABLE IN ASIA AND OTHER REGIONS AND MAKING THESE PRODUCTS AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE TO YOU FOR PURCHASE IN HONG KONG AND FOR YOUR IMPORT TO YOUR COUNTRY. IN NO EVENT WILL SIMPLYELECTRONICS.NET BE A PARTY TO THE IMPORT OF SUCH PRODUCTS NOR WILL IT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LIABILITY ARISING UNDER THE LAWS OF ANY COUNTRY OTHER THAN THE HONG KONG SPECIAL ADMINISTRATIVE REGION FOR THE IMPORT AND SALE OF PRODUCTS AVAILABLE ON THE SITE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION CUSTOMS REGULATIONS AND CUSTOMS HOLDS, DETENTIONS AND SEIZURES AND COPYRIGHT AND TRADEMARK LAWS.

By purchasing a product through the Site, customers outside of Hong Kong authorize SimplyElectronics.net to make arrangements for clearance of customs on their behalf for the products they have ordered.

That is on the Simply website!

Sorry guys - we will always be competitive but we won't price beat that!

Muss - sorry I have not got back to you BTW - your Monster Subbie will leave Monday - Warn the Mum!

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Sooo true John and a fair point. I have total respect for other vendors and im not here to insult anyone in any way. Anyway moving on I have never heard of simply electronics. But I always stand by ordering gear from authorised retailers nevertheless. At least that way you get good aftercare service in case a claim needs to be made.

No problem John, mums ready to make some noise with the sub :D
    Were you able to sort out the speaker cables for me as well?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Why wasn't the post linking <Mod SNIP !> <SNIP>ed? Mods are usually on that like flys to ****e.

Were you able to sort out the speaker cables for me as well?:cool:

Left yesterday (finally Muss! :rolleyes:)

ATB

J

edit - actually Mus it left Monday - I'll do a trace & email you - you should have had it yesterday!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

@ Moolers, the answer is I've just read the remarks in question.

@Soarer,

@Anyone else considering discussing other retailers etc.,

Please read the Stickey at the top of this forum entitled " PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING".

Please do not post on this forum quoting prices (other than if you personally are looking for a genuine price match) or making any comments on other retailers.

If you have any difficulty with this then feel free to contact me by PM, this thread is not the appropriate place to discuss it.

Ritz.

Sorry to everyone, especially John, for posting the link to the other website. I must admit to never having read the sticky, so didn't realise external links aren't allowed.

If it helps any, I'd still have purchased from RS for peace of mind! :o

Apologies again.

yep me too. I second that. Sorryyy!!!:o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

@Soarer, I've replied to your PMs.

@mussdemi,

You're perfectly welcome to quote another price when genuinely seeking a price-match from Richersounds.

@All,

This thread has taken a fair amount of snipping so perhaps some additional explanation might be useful.

Where a person is asking for a direct price quote, there's no problem in saying that XYZ is selling them for €blah, can you do better?

There's a big problem with someone else (or a number of people) on the sidelines saying "ABC sells it for €pish". For one thing, if you were standing in the actual shop, you'd hardly expect to be welcome to say that in person. Also, careless quoting of a price that someone has googled without having personal experience of dealing with a company or without having fully checked the "small print" can also force Richersounds (as in this case) on a wild goose chase checking the link/source only to diiscover that it's a grey import situation which would entail import and VAT issues on top of the price etc.

A bit of common sense should prevail here - there is no intention to be censorious just for the sake of it. This forum is moderated within a general framework agreed with John but simultaneously on a completely independent basis as a Boards Mod (weird, but it's worked for us so far..).

As a general principle, if you're not involved in a deal here, it's usually best to proceed with caution. If you don't have personal experience or direct knowledge, the same should apply, people are spending their own money here and will get all the useful advice they could want from John and Co. There is no hard sell here (quite the contrary) and Richersounds and the Philips Shop consistently live up to their promise of service and helpfulness, as anyone who has had direct dealings with them will testify.

This is a very chatty friendly forum, due primarily to the ethos adopted by John, Kenny, Dave, Ash, Nicola and also due to the fact that it really reflects a lot of the ethos of Boards itself and the Boardies who hang here. There have been lots of outstandingly helpful posts and advice given thoughtfully by people who share their knowledge and experience willingly with others. No one wants to see any change whatsoever to that, just a slightly more judicious approach to interventions than would otherwise prevail in a general discussion area, such as the Home Entertainment Forums, where ye will always be welcome ;).

BTW, John is going to love this, he lives for surprises...... :eek:

Thanks,

Ritz.

The Ritz wrote: »
    BTW, John is going to love this, he lives for surprises...... :eek:

Thanks,

Ritz.

As ever thanks Ritzy,

And as Ritz said - we honestly are used to surprises and any regular posters will know that we really like price beating so there is no issue with constructively quoting competitor prices if you are considering a purchase - if it's just general info than the lair of the Ritz (the general HE forum) is genuinely the best place!

Anyway - thanks as ever to The Ritz (you never know when he will pop up!) and Soarer - Don't worry I know you are an honourable lurker, so really no apologies required!

Thanks to all and let's just get back to being jealous of Muss and all his money...

Keep me posted if we can assist,

ATB,

John Mc

As ever thanks Ritzy,

And as Ritz said - we honestly are used to surprises and any regular posters will know that we really like price beating so there is no issue with constructively quoting competitor prices if you are considering a purchase - if it's just general info than the lair of the Ritz (the general HE forum) is genuinely the best place!

Anyway - thanks as ever to The Ritz (you never know when he will pop up!) and Soarer - Don't worry I know you are an honourable lurker, so really no apologies required!

Thanks to all and let's just get back to being jealous of Muss and all his money...

Keep me posted if we can assist,

ATB,

John Mc
    LOL....John you must think I have a money printing shop. :) I like to treat myself once a year to a nice gadget or two. This will be one of them... Looks like ill be surviving on McDonald Happy meals for a while. :( i got the speaker cables by the way. Thanks V.Much....:)

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.