Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DONEGAL REALITY TOURS

Options
  • 02-11-2009 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭

tour3.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Might be better to have that reduced in size a wee bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I think my comment above was a suggestion as opposed to an order as you suggested in your edit note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

yes indeed :)..... however, here is a few of the 'real' reasons that visitors to Donegal loved it...

1. Donegal people are themselves. (generally) there are no affected accents and heirs and graces

2. Donegal people are friendly. I have lived in most parts of the country and I can genuinley say, that it is my experience that people in Donegal, Derry, Tyrone are down to earth and friendlier than most other parts.

3. Value. Your money goes further up here. 3 course meal with 1 glass of wine.... €20 (its a special thats been goign on for the last few months, I know I cant say where), but you will find deals like this in alot of hotels at the moment.

4. Scenery (go look at the Donegal photo game....enough said)

5. Surfing.... year round season at Bundoran, Fanad, Rossnowlagh.

6. Pace of life is very easy going, the local time keeping is hard to get used to if your German, Dutch, Danish etc

7. The best and most reasonable golf courses in the country include Murvagh, Rosapena, Ballyliffin, Portnoo, Dunfanaghy, Bundoran, Twin Towns, Letterkenny, Critch Island, Buncrana, Bunbeg, and others

8. Activities.... Glenveagh castle and garden tours / orienteering, Donegal Water Bus, Deep sea angling, sub aqua diving, shore / lake / river fishing, rock climbing, Blue Stacks orienteering, rally, equestrian trails, thriving music scene, Balor theatre, an Grianan, Tullarvan Mill, Ionad cois Locha, Letterkenny arts centre, Alley arts centre (ok, its in Strabane), Dunfanaghy work house (gig venue), Fintown Railway, etc

9. Other places of interest... Slieve League, Inishowen 100, Beltany Stone Circle, an Grianan ring fort, Dunree fort, Errigal and the Poison Glen, Donegal Castle, Rossnowlagh Friary and Museum, Greencastle Observatory (planetarium and telescope), Bamba's Crown at Malin Head, Doon Fort, Glebe House and gallery, Lough Gartan outdoor persuit centre and hostel, Dooagh famine village, Lifford Gaol, Kilcar weaving studio, and the list goes on

10. We have year round tourism from the 6 counties. We are very accessible with an airport in Sligo, Carrickfinn and Derry. Carrickfinn has 1 flight per week to Rotterdam. You can be in London in less than an hour from Derry.

11. Gaeltacht culture for Irish language enthusiests, and a large traditional music scene.

Our county is steeped in history and culture, its not everyone that realises this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Greencastle Observatory (planetarium and telescope)

Well you learn something new every day!! is there a website for it? wouldn't mind taking a run up to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Yeah saw a sign for that when I was up there recently. I was like.... Huh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

ha ha ha very good , lovin the Twincam Exhibitions on main streets , i used to drive one my self

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

hi all..... I found this link http://www.inishowenmaritime.com/planetarium.shtml

Theres a maritime museum in an adjoining building also, well worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

irish1967 wrote: »
    tour3.jpg

That is hilarious! Some bits are true but Donegal is a great place to live in/ be from. I'm proud to say I'm from Donegal and would love to settle there one day. Like what was said before, Donegal people are so down to earth and don't have those stupid affected accents/ keep up with the Jones type mentality. You should think of writing some kind of satorical book Irish 1967, I'd be 1st in the queue for my laughter fix!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

It's funny, I know all that but we are still thinking of buying an old farmhouse as a holiday home.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

10. We have year round tourism from the 6 counties. We are very accessible with an airport in Sligo, Carrickfinn and Derry. Carrickfinn has 1 flight per week to Rotterdam. You can be in London in less than an hour from Derry.

you can be in stansted or luton in less than an hour, takes another hour to get to london

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Greencastle Observatory (planetarium and telescope)

:eek:

Holy mary. I need to go touring Donegal more often then so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

you can be in stansted or luton in less than an hour, takes another hour to get to london

ok... you can be in Dublin airport in an hour, and city centre in half an hour if the traffic is'nt bad, much of a muchness?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

try telling ryanair your not in london ;)

Advertisement