Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Question

• 02-11-2009 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭

I recently moved into a new house and am looking at different bb providers. I see Vodafone have good prices but do I have to connect with eircom first and then join Vodafone therefore paying eircom line rental aswell?

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

Yes, you have to set up yourt line rental with Eircom first.

Vodafone will want your universal account number which Eircom will provide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭PCros

Ah darn, so basically eircom 3mb would be cheaper because all I want is the broadband.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭lynchie

PCros wrote: »
    Ah darn, so basically eircom 3mb would be cheaper because all I want is the broadband.:(

Eircom 3Mb is 55 a month inc line rental.
    Vodafone 3Mb is 40 a month including line rental. how you figure eircom is cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭firebug_guy

I recently moved into a new house and am looking at different bb providers. I see Vodafone have good prices but do I have to connect with eircom first and then join Vodafone therefore paying eircom line rental aswell?

Any help would be great.

Try do something with Eircom - I joined Vodafone on September 7th without having an 'active' phoneline - I'm still waiting for my Broadband (November) and my phone line was only turned on three weeks ago following numerous calls to Vodafone Customer Support despite the fact I was told it would take THREE days...

Just expect a LONG delay - I reckon Vodafone are swamped or Eircom arent playing ball with them - either way, you'll be waiting a while if you leave it to Vodafone to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

If there's a phone line already in the house go to Vodafone first, they'll set up the transfer over....at least they did in my case

re the post above I had phone reconnected and BB set up inside 2 weeks...modem recieved the day after I ordered!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭firebug_guy

dogpile wrote: »
    If there's a phone line already in the house go to Vodafone first, they'll set up the transfer over....at least they did in my case

re the post above I had phone reconnected and BB set up inside 2 weeks...modem recieved the day after I ordered!!

You must be one of the lucky ones...

We had the phone line already installed from previous owners, there was a dial tone but if you started to call someone the line said "To get your landline connected..." -56 days ago, Vodafone told me it would take 3 days...

Just be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭darirl

they must be very lucky, Im getting screwed as well. I got the modem fairly quick but its over a month and still no broadband, they originally told me the phone line was swtiched on (which meant nothing to me as I dont have a home phone ) then I call again and the process hasnt even been started yet!, back to square one.

To keep me happy they told me to get a dongle from one of their shops and use that till I get connnected, they will cover the cost of the usage till then. The shop seemed to know what I was talking about so I reckon its nothing unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

darirl wrote: »
    they must be very lucky, Im getting screwed as well. I got the modem fairly quick but its over a month and still no broadband, they originally told me the phone line was swtiched on (which meant nothing to me as I dont have a home phone ) then I call again and the process hasnt even been started yet!, back to square one.

Sounds like it's Eircom holding you up, if there's no line in the house only they can install one

• Registered Users Posts: 34 leandro

Just a quick question:

When you go to speedtest.net, what shows up as your provider?

Here shows ESAT or Ireland On-Line sometimes. I was originally BT Ireland but since the takeover from Vodafone my speed is getting worse and worse, I'm getting 0.2 Mbps on a contracted 3 Mbps. I don't know if my line is already with Vodafone and they are offering a shi*& service or BT just doesn't care for its old customer base.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dogpile wrote: »
    Sounds like it's Eircom holding you up, if there's no line in the house only they can install one

This is 100% correct, Vodafone don't do line installs only eircom can

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

And eircom WILL drag their feet when you apply for a connection through a reseller. Get eircom to activate the line, get your account number, go to Vodafone (or any other provider).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭PCros

lynchie wrote: »
    Eircom 3Mb is 55 a month inc line rental.
    Vodafone 3Mb is 40 a month including line rental. how you figure eircom is cheaper?

Ahh I'm confused. So if I set up with eircom to reactivate my line they are charging me €25 for line rental, so I tought on top of that I would have to pay €40 for 3mb with Vodafone?

So am I right in saying that the only bill I will get is €40 off Vodafone and not one from eircom aswell charging line rental?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The trick to getting this in a timely fashion is to order the line form eircon (not mentioning you will be dropping them like a hot snot) and when the line is active get the UAN and give this to Vodafone and they will switch your line, you will pay eircon a fee for about a month but no more if all goes accordingly.

You only pay the line rental to the provider you are contracted to, they take care of the bitstream payment to the incompetent sorry incumbent or LLU fee if your are lucky to be free of eircon bitstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

So am I right in saying that the only bill I will get is €40 off Vodafone and not one from eircom aswell charging line rental?

Yes, you'll pay line rental to Vodafone.

Advertisement