Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One step at a time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Sosa wrote: »

Just realise i passed though the 1000m today,ah sh1t,i gave a little fist pump last year....that fcekin wind had me pre-occupied

Fair play Sosa, thats some acheivment this early in the year

I managed to run sub 90 for the half in Kildare yesterday, and coming up to the finish line I was thinking 'do that again for a 3hr marathon? - no way'

You've absolutely done the training and got the miles into the legs to blitz the 3hr mark, the only thing that might stop you at this stage would be an injury or poor race strategy, and I think you learned the race strategy lesson in DCM '09

Look after yourself over the next few weeks and make sure to get there in the shape of your life - don't be killing yourself for little gains at this stage, you've got all the work done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Aswell as that you are obviously suited to long distance running,i honestly think i am better at the shorter stuff,in fact i am 100% sure of it.
    If i get this sub 3....there maybe no marathons for me for a good while.
    Thats why im not greedy,all i want is sub 3 not 2:55 or anything crazy like that,i would more than likely blow up if i tried to go for sub 2:55.

I think you are more suited to the short stuff, but that just means you need to be very specific in your training to run a good marathon...which I believe you are doing.

Krusty ran his LSR's quite fast I think but I believe they were proportionally slower than his marathon time suggests....by his HR stats I think he ran his last marathon quite 'easy', hence the continuos speed up over the course of the marathon and the fast finish, I think he was well within himself. Krusty might disagree, but time will tell. I think he has many many more minutes to shave off that time.

Endurance doesn't come so easily to me either, I think I'm more of a stamina runner which would mean 10k to HM being my ideal race distances. I think I'll park the marathons for a few years also and concentrate on getting the pace down (which I can do off 30mpw) and hit the marathon again when I can hit the LSR's more consistently. Marathon training has me doubting myself too much and feeling guilty over not getting the training in when the reality is I'm improving all the time and should enjoy the running more. I have race targets in my head that I know I'm capable of hitting but will take a year or 2 more at least and marathon training doesn't really help to hit these targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

@Sosa, @ Gringo78,

Has pre-taper madness set in here lads or something, cos I mite join ye !?!

For the last week i've been thinking that Cork will be my first and last marathon...

I just can;t wait to get back into racing the shorter stuff for the summer, like I missed the Midleton 5-mile last week as I was doing a PMP run instead...also missed the Castemartyr 4 mile, two big local races.

Training for the marathon i've found is one hell of a commitment, 18weeks like for just one day...crazy !

tisnotover wrote: »
    Training for the marathon i've found is one hell of a commitment, 18weeks like for just one day...crazy !

Ah, but its not just any day....its the day you run sub 3!

You see if you tell people you run, they will always ask whether you have run a marathon...you need to be able to answer yes.
    Any time under 3 hours will impress them.
    If they're in the know about running, well they won't be hung up on your marathon time, so Sub 3 is enough!

18 week committment for 2:55? A bit too much. For 2:45 or 2:40? Yeah, I'd put in the committment again (well, actually, I haven't put in the committment so far but you know what I mean).

2:30? To run what the average joe in the 80's could knock out on any given Sunday? I'd give a 20 week committment for that alright.

So If I run sub 3, that'll be marathon knocked on the head until I can run 10 miles in 55min or have accepted that I can't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Endurance doesn't come so easily to me either, I think I'm more of a stamina runner which would mean 10k to HM being my ideal race distances. I think I'll park the marathons for a few years also and concentrate on getting the pace down (which I can do off 30mpw) and hit the marathon again when I can hit the LSR's more consistently. Marathon training has me doubting myself too much and feeling guilty over not getting the training in when the reality is I'm improving all the time and should enjoy the running more. I have race targets in my head that I know I'm capable of hitting but will take a year or 2 more at least and marathon training doesn't really help to hit these targets.

Agree with you 100%,i have knocked over a minute of my 4m,5m and 10k times this year,4 mins off my 10m time and i have serious doubts about being able to string 26.2m of 6:52 together.
    I miss the intervals and tempos and regular races.
    and have set those times while either training for a marathon or recovering from one,so i know i can get those times down further with no marathon training in the way.
    @Sosa, @ Gringo78,

Has pre-taper madness set in here lads or something, cos I mite join ye !?!

For the last week i've been thinking that Cork will be my first and last marathon...

I just can;t wait to get back into racing the shorter stuff for the summer, like I missed the Midleton 5-mile last week as I was doing a PMP run instead...also missed the Castemartyr 4 mile, two big local races.

It is crazy,you miss out on so much,and if it goes wrong on the day (which can easily happen) it seems like an utter waste of time.
    Ah, but its not just any day....its the day you run sub 3!

You see if you tell people you run, they will always ask whether you have run a marathon...you need to be able to answer yes.
    Any time under 3 hours will impress them.
    If they're in the know about running, well they won't be hung up on your marathon time, so Sub 3 is enough!

18 week committment for 2:55? A bit too much. For 2:45 or 2:40? Yeah, I'd put in the committment again (well, actually, I haven't put in the committment so far but you know what I mean).

2:30? To run what the average joe in the 80's could knock out on any given Sunday? I'd give a 20 week committment for that alright.

So If I run sub 3, that'll be marathon knocked on the head until I can run 10 miles in 55min or have accepted that I can't!

I have no ideas of anything other than sub 3....i would much prefer to get to 27:30 for 5m and around 35 mins for 10k...which i will in the next couple of years,maybe next year.

I have no ideas of anything other than sub 3....i would much prefer to get to 27:30 for 5m and around 35 mins for 10k...which i will in the next couple of years,maybe next year.

You'll get those times....you've got to believe though that you can run a lot faster than that. There really is no reason why you can't continuously reduce those times by 15-20sec each year for the next 6-7 years. Even though you are in your 30's, age will actually not be a factor until you have been running for maybe 8-10 continuous years. Stick at it and you'd be surprised what you could run. Look at any of the guys on the local road race scene running 25min for 5 miles and they all got there over 4-6 years of progression (unless they were running as juniors whereby they probably were at pretty fast times on the track before they ever ran on the road).

The key is to keep training...park it for a year or two and it'll take you ages to get back to the paces you were at, nevermind getting faster.

I ran 16min for 5km when I was 24 after 6 months training (a lot of training!) so I know I should be able to hit that pace again. It keeps me motivated but I know I can never get back those wasted years!

There really is no reason why you can't continuously reduce those times by 15-20sec each year
    The key is to keep training...park it for a year or two and it'll take you ages to get back to the paces you were at, nevermind getting faster

I hope that 15-20s is overall and not per mile !
    That is doable (overall) and i would get more enjoyment out of that than a 2:45/2:50 marathon.

It is crazy,you miss out on so much,and if it goes wrong on the day (which can easily happen) it seems like an utter waste of time.

I suppose to be fair though, the block of marathon training you're doing has progressed your other times as well, where you have raced like. You learn more about what recovery really is and how it should be used between hard workouts.

The marathon will come+go, but hopefully we can dip back into the mileage base put in already and progress the shorter races for the summer.

P.S. I hope that Gringo meant 15-20s overall too !

yes i meant overall. take 2.5min off your 5mile time though and you are running seriously good times

• Advertisement

yes i meant overall. take 2.5min off your 5mile time though and you are running seriously good times

Im at
    22:18 for 4m = 5:35p
    28:24 for 5m = 5:40p
    36:16 for 10k = 5:50p

The 10k was the week after the 5m race and i did way to much that week,cost me 5s a mile,i reckon that day.

I only need to knock off 55s from my 5m to get under 27:30,all going well,i'll be under 28 early next year and possibly undr 27:30 in the summer.
    Its possible.

Im at
    22:18 for 4m = 5:35p
    28:24 for 5m = 5:40p
    36:16 for 10k = 5:50p

The 10k was the week after the 5m race and i did way to much that week,cost me 5s a mile,i reckon that day.

I only need to knock off 55s from my 5m to get under 27:30,all going well,i'll be under 28 early next year and possibly undr 27:30 in the summer.
    Its possible.

You should go sub-28 for 5mile during summer, aim for that, the rest will follow !

You should go sub-28 for 5mile during summer, aim for that, the rest will follow !

Not really spoilt for choice tno.
    The GSK 5 is on 4 weeks after cork,i wont be ready for that.
    Its usually a target race for me,im looking at the ardmore 5 in august,supposed to be a decent course for a pb attempt.

Date|Miles|Ave pace|Type|Weather|Weeks to Cork
    10-05-10|18.5|6:55p Overall|Long|Very Very Windy :(|4
    11-05-10|5.3|8;05|Recovery|Very Windy|4
    12-05-10|||||4
    13-05-10|||||4
    14-05-10|||||4
    15-05-10|||||4
    16-05-10|||||4

Just 5 slow recovery miles today and just as well as my friend the wind was out in force again.
    I'm getting fed up of this !

Long 16+|Med 12-16|Aerobic|Vo2|Recovery|Race|Total
    10|3|24|3|11|3|54

Wk 1|Wk 2|Wk 3|Wk 4|Wk 5|Wk 6
    61|58.23|58.47|58.7|60.2|62|

Wk 7|Wk 8|Wk 9|Wk 10|Wk 11|Wk 12
    55.5|46.8|32.6||||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

im sure your consistency will pay off. keep it up.
    ps
    might'nt suit ya but the streets of galway 8km is a great race august 8th !
    chip timed fairly flat and limited to about 2000 entrants. nice race through the streets :)

im sure your consistency will pay off. keep it up.
    ps
    might'nt suit ya but the streets of galway 8km is a great race august 8th !
    chip timed fairly flat and limited to about 2000 entrants. nice race through the streets :)

thanks MFA...i heard of that race in Galway,i know a few runners who go up there every year and love it.
    Highly unlikely i will be travelling up to Galway for an 8k race though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Not really spoilt for choice tno.
    The GSK 5 is on 4 weeks after cork,i wont be ready for that.
    Its usually a target race for me,im looking at the ardmore 5 in august,supposed to be a decent course for a pb attempt.

Ardmore is a great one for PBs Sosa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Your talking yourself out of this marathon. I am better suited to shorter stuff rubbish..........
    From your three races this yr in my opinion your best race was the 10 miler. I was reading somewhere else that nxt year hopefully you wont be doing a marathon.Sounds to me that you are having a cop out before the event. If you want sub 3 run 90 flat to halfway and you will be at a 5 tiredness out of 10. No risk of not breaking 3 hours if you do that.

Your talking yourself out of this marathon. I am better suited to shorter stuff rubbish..........
    From your three races this yr in my opinion your best race was the 10 miler. I was reading somewhere else that nxt year hopefully you wont be doing a marathon.Sounds to me that you are having a cop out before the event. If you want sub 3 run 90 flat to halfway and you will be at a 5 tiredness out of 10. No risk of not breaking 3 hours if you do that.

If your saying i have doubts about sub 3 VR,your right...I have doubt...serious doubts.
    How can i possibly think otherwise,with the disaster in Dublin and Wexford not working out last week either.
    I am more suited to the shorter stuff,theres nothing wrong with saying that...endurance does not come easy to me...speedwork does.
    Thats not to say im talking myself out of it,i have trained hard the last 9 weeks with 4 more to go and will be giving it everything on the day,but,i have to mind myself in the first 18-20m or its all over again,and i do hope im not doing a marathon next year because that will mean i broke sub 3 and can concentrate on getting my shorter race times down further.

I know your just trying to gee me up...thanks

11-05-10|5.3|8:05|Recovery|Very Windy|4
    12-05-10|10|7:25|Aerobic|Not too windy|4
    13-05-10|Rest||||4
    14-05-10|||||4
    15-05-10|||||4
    16-05-10|||||4

Its been a long long time since i did an easy 10,everything is >6 or <15 ( hope i have those right way round ) so this was a pleasure this morning,out my old 8.5m route through the rolling country lanes out past ballygunner...really enjoyed this.
    I had 6x10s hill sprints to do at the end but felt a little something in my right achilles/ankle area so knocked that on the head.

Rest day tomorrow before an LSR on friday.

10|3|25|3|11|3|55

55.5|46.8|32.6||||

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Looks like youve put in a nice bit of mileage overall in your training plan. You're deffo in the right shape to get sub 3..

• Advertisement

If your saying i have doubts about sub 3 VR,your right...I have doubt...serious doubts.
    How can i possibly think otherwise,with the disaster in Dublin and Wexford not working out last week either.
    I am more suited to the shorter stuff,theres nothing wrong with saying that...endurance does not come easy to me...speedwork does.
    Thats not to say im talking myself out of it,i have trained hard the last 9 weeks with 4 more to go and will be giving it everything on the day,but,i have to mind myself in the first 18-20m or its all over again,and i do hope im not doing a marathon next year because that will mean i broke sub 3 and can concentrate on getting my shorter race times down further.

I know your just trying to gee me up...thanks

I seriously thought you would run a good one in wexford. The mind plays horrible games in longer races.In a marathobn you go through bad spells. The problem is you gave up when you couldnt hit your target. If that is true the question is why ?? I honestly think you will run a 2.50 marathon before you run 27.30 for 5.
    Your training has gone really well. I reckon you could run an 86 half marathon after A 90 MIN FIRST HALF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

I seriously thought you would run a good one in wexford. The mind plays horrible games in longer races.In a marathobn you go through bad spells. The problem is you gave up when you couldnt hit your target. If that is true the question is why ?? I honestly think you will run a 2.50 marathon before you run 27.30 for 5.
    Your training has gone really well. I reckon you could run an 86 half marathon after A 90 MIN FIRST HALF.

+1

I gave up on the day at 8m....i had run 7m on my own up hills and into a severe headwind...thats 3 good reasons,and could not face another 5 of them when at the time the best i could have got was around 84 mins.

I will have a bet with you if you want,i guarantee that i will run 27:30 for 5 way before i run 2:50 for a marathon.

Im going to take it real easy for the first half in Cork...to make sure that i have every ounce of energy possible for the 2nd half.

I will have a bet with you if you want,i guarantee that i will run 27:30 for 5 way before i run 2:50 for a marathon.

I don't know about the 'way before'....a minute is a lot to take off the 5 mile time over the summer....you'll prob struggle to hit the consistent mileage over the complete winter so you may not get there before next Spring....at that point, with a sub 3 under the belt in the marathon, probably a very good HM time from waterford in december, would be you be tempted back into running say a spring marathon like Rotterdam?? I think you would be good for <2:50 then with the sub 3 monkey and the endurance doubts off your back....maybe VR is more on the money than you think.....

What I find difficult at the moment is not knowing whether all the training I've been doing is a complete waste, i.e I'll bonk. Whereas for Ballycotton 10 I had absolute confidence that I was getting better each week. If Cork is a complete failure, then I'll be thinking why didn't I just continue tempo's and intervals after Ballycotton and maybe run sub 59min in John Treacy 10 this weekend?

But if things go well in Cork, there'd be a lot less doubts during marathon training next time round....take away the doubts and then suddenly training becomes a lot more 'rewarding'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What I find difficult at the moment is not knowing whether all the training I've been doing is a complete waste, i.e I'll bonk.
    That is the attractiveness of the endurance event. For a 10 mile race, you can run 10 miles the week before at an easier pace, and get a feel for how much extra you can give on the day. You can't predict how a marathon is going to go until at least mile 20, so it's important to get your strategy right on the day, and even then, things can still go astray. Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith.

I don't think anyone can establish whether or not they are suitable for long or short distances until they have trained for and run at least a couple of successful races at those distances. After running your first 10k fun run, would you decide at that point that you're not suited to running that distance?

I think positivity is important. You've got to take risks, but at the same time, you've got to set out to do the best time that you can on the day, rather than heaping pressure on yourself to hit x or y per mile or finish z minutes under the clock. You've got to enjoy the experience. If nothing else, it keeps your heart rate low and reduces the work levels. You should be running just as comfortably as you do, during your long runs. I like to take breaks during a marathon, where I find someone up ahead who is running at a slower pace, and I file in behind them for 20-30 seconds to force myself to ease off the pace, recover, relax and chill, before pushing on again.

Sorry for the verbal diarrhea/monologue. Just thinking to myself that the end result of marathon training shouldn't be an exam or a test, it should be a reward and an enjoyable experience.

I don't know about the 'way before'....a minute is a lot to take off the 5 mile time over the summer....you'll prob struggle to hit the consistent mileage over the complete winter so you may not get there before next Spring....at that point, with a sub 3 under the belt in the marathon, probably a very good HM time from waterford in december, would be you be tempted back into running say a spring marathon like Rotterdam?? I think you would be good for <2:50 then with the sub 3 monkey and the endurance doubts off your back....maybe VR is more on the money than you think.....

What I find difficult at the moment is not knowing whether all the training I've been doing is a complete waste, i.e I'll bonk. Whereas for Ballycotton 10 I had absolute confidence that I was getting better each week. If Cork is a complete failure, then I'll be thinking why didn't I just continue tempo's and intervals after Ballycotton and maybe run sub 59min in John Treacy 10 this weekend?

But if things go well in Cork, there'd be a lot less doubts during marathon training next time round....take away the doubts and then suddenly training becomes a lot more 'rewarding'.

If Sosa or yourself Gringo go sub-3, I think its fair to say both of ye will park the marathons for a while. A failed attempt at going for a 5mile PB is a lot easier to rectify than one going for a 2:50 (or even <3).

Sounds like your going through the same thought process as me yesterday there, wondering about the training you've done for Cork. Put it this way, if you compare to what you put in last year, there's simply no comparison ! You have to take the confidence from that ??

I don't know about the 'way before'....a minute is a lot to take off the 5 mile time over the summer...

I never said i was going under 27:30 this summer,but certainly have a crack at sub 28 early next year and then sub 27:30 early 2012 or the summer 2011 if all is going well.

I have a 5m next Sat night,doubt i will set a pb as i wont be pushing to the extreme limit....i will be doing the GSK 5 miler 4 weeks after Cork,but only because thats a good event and dont want to miss it,but wont be anywhere near ready for a PB by then,hope to be ready for the Ardmore 5 in August for a lash at a PB attempt.

I never said i was going under 27:30 this summer,but certainly have a crack at sub 28 early next year and then sub 27:30 early 2012 or the summer 2011 if all is going well.

Yeah, thats why I suggested maybe the bet is not such a good idea & VR is probably right. Fast forward to next December 2010....you've just run <78min in the half, you nailed the marathon in Cork running the last 10k picking up the pace all the time, all the doubts are gone, you trust the type of training you did for Cork cos it worked so well........could you see yourself being tempted back into running say Rotterdam where you would run <2:50? All hypothetical but I can see where VR is coming from.

Yeah, thats why I suggested maybe the bet is not such a good idea & VR is probably right. Fast forward to next December 2010....you've just run <78min in the half, you nailed the marathon in Cork running the last 10k picking up the pace all the time, all the doubts are gone, you trust the type of training you did for Cork cos it worked so well........could you see yourself being tempted back into running say Rotterdam where you would run <2:50? All hypothetical but I can see where VR is coming from.

Yeah,if all that happened all the doubts would be gone and the belief in the type of training i did would be there,but just to win the bet i wouldn't run a marathon :D

Put it this way, if you compare to what you put in last year, there's simply no comparison ! You have to take the confidence from that ??

I know I'm heading into the marathon this year better prepared, but preparing better than the cr*p training I did last mar/apr/may is easy (I hadn't a clue how to train then).

My bonk last year was pretty straight forward though....by mile 12 I was running at an avg HR the same as my avg HR for Ballycotton 10. I was also hitting peak HR's equivalent my 4mile race pace HR from about mile 3 meaning I was not running even paced at all and was burning off glycogen stores to beat the band. The fact that I got to 20 miles having only drank half a bottle of lucosade and no gels gives me confidence that I have fairly good energy stores and if I run efficiently, at even effort & take my gels, I won't hit the wall.

• Advertisement

but just to win the bet i wouldn't run a marathon :D

Typical blah...:D

I know I'm heading into the marathon this year better prepared, but preparing better than the cr*p training I did last mar/apr/may is easy (I hadn't a clue how to train then).

My bonk last year was pretty straight forward though....by mile 12 I was running at an avg HR the same as my avg HR for Ballycotton 10. I was also hitting peak HR's equivalent my 4mile race pace HR from about mile 3 meaning I was not running even paced at all and was burning off glycogen stores to beat the band. The fact that I got to 20 miles having only drank half a bottle of lucosade and no gels gives me confidence that I have fairly good energy stores and if I run efficiently, at even effort & take my gels, I won't hit the wall.

Read Abhainn's race report last nite, very good read. So is Misty Floyd's and aero2k's report from DCM last year, have a look at his mile splits:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AcN2ILvWdxnoZHM0ZjJ0OV8wZ25uaGczZGo&hl=en

Very tempted to go out with yourself and Sosa on this one !

Read Abhainn's race report last nite, very good read. So is Misty Floyd's and aero2k's report from DCM last year, have a look at his mile splits:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AcN2ILvWdxnoZHM0ZjJ0OV8wZ25uaGczZGo&hl=en

Very tempted to go out with yourself and Sosa on this one !

You should,we wont be legging it off,i have learned from dublin,and will be easing into it.
    We would help each other along.
    I like the sound of that,at least we wll be together for the first half...and whatever happens after that,we will deal with it.

13-05-10|Rest||||4
    14-05-10|20.5|7:08 Overall|Long|Sunny,warm and windy|4
    15-05-10|||||4
    16-05-10|||||4

My best ever LSR today,felt sluggish starting off,but got into it after 4/5m.
    Plan today was 10 easy and then 10 around pmp.
    Not to much focus on the splits today as it was still very windy in parts.
    The 10 easy just flew along,i was listeneing to Tom Dunne on newstalk and before i knew it i had passed the 10m point in 1:15:44 ...7:34p...bombed on then for the next 10,mile after mile went by,but i didnt do them as fast today and went slower up the hills and into the strong headwing when it was there and faster at other oppurtunities.
    This strategy felt real easy....
    Did the last 10 in 1:07:08 - 6:42p...delighted with that and could have kept going.
    0.5m recovery then to get to 20.5m for the day.

I did take 3 gels this morning (with 3 small bottles of high5 4:1 super carb drink...) though,something i never do for LSR's but had to try them out for cork.
    They were high5 gels,didn't say isotonic on the wrap but they were very watery and easy to take and obviously gave me a kick as the run felt easy.
    Thats that sorted for cork,i wont take them again now.

Sungod is coming up to Cork with me,so i will have my high5 up there.

11|3|25|3|11|3|56

55.5|46.8|32.6||||

You should,we wont be legging it off,i have learned from dublin,and will be easing into it.
    We would help each other along.
    I like the sound of that,at least we wll be together for the first half...and whatever happens after that,we will deal with it.

Could get to half way's together alrite, but i'd say i'd def be erring on the conservative side if I saw ye flying off, ye are over two mins faster over 10miles than me like !

Very nice run there today, I ike the last 10miles!, good to get the gels tried out too. I can keep the hi-5 all to myself so in Cork ;)

Could get to half way's together alrite, but i'd say i'd def be erring on the conservative side if I saw ye flying off, ye are over two mins faster over 10miles than me like !

Very nice run there today, I ike the last 10miles!, good to get the gels tried out too. I can keep the hi-5 all to myself so in Cork ;)

Yeah,i will have my own supplies.....
    Felt great today,some difference from Monday,rest day yesterday helped and the 3 gels....

13-05-10|Rest||||4
    15-05-10|6|8:24|Recovery|Dull but warm|4
    16-05-10|||||4

Nice stroll of a run with Sungod and Dukie this morning.
    Very leisurely pace that never quickened thankfully.
    My right quad was a bit sore from yesterdays efforts.not injured,just muscle soreness which is no big deal.
    I had 5 planned for tomorrow morning to bring the weeks running over 65m but if its not perfect in the morning i will give it a miss as 5m at 7:30/40p is not going to hamper any plans at this stage.
    Have to be cautious.
    I got the green light to race the Portlaw 5 next Saturday which is great news,that will keep me going next week now.

11|3|25|3|12|3|57

55.5|46.8|32.6||||

13-05-10|Rest||||4
    15-05-10|6|8:24|Recovery|Dull but warm|4
    16-05-10|Rest||||4

Decided not to run today,the legs were ok but i started off with the power hose out the front and got carried away...spent 5hrs out there...slouched on the couch now....no interest in a run.

Official taper time now,but really starts next monday as this week i'll do the guts of 50m inc the race next saturday...

3 weeks to go now....that was a fast 10 weeks from when i started off the program.
    It was a good decision to go for 13 weeks as i had the low mileage recovery week recently which was the plan.

11|3|25|3|12|3|57

55.5|46.8|32.6|60.3|||

17-05-10|4|7:24|Aerobic|Fantastic Sunshine|3
    18-05-10|||||3
    19-05-10|||||3
    20-05-10|||||4
    21-05-10|||||3
    22-05-10|||||3
    23-05-10|||||3

Lovely run in glorious conditions.
    Finished off with the customary Monday 6x10s hill sprints.
    Last LSR tomorrow :D

This week has more or less the same layout as last week,just cutting back some miles on the runs to drop 10m overall.

11|3|26|3|12|3|58

55.5|46.8|32.6|60.3|||

• Advertisement

18-05-10|17|7:09p Overall|Long|Dull and very windy again|3
    19-05-10|||||3
    20-05-10|||||4
    21-05-10|||||3
    22-05-10|||||3
    23-05-10|||||3

For some reason i was exhausted last night,fell asleep on the couch around 9:30...woke up at 1...didn't know what year it was...crawled up the stairs trying my best not to wake up...and still found it hard to get out of the bed at 7:30 ....
    I had thoughts of doing 20 again today but decided against it from early in the run and went for 17 instead.
    I have plenty of LSR's done and even though this was the last one,don't feel bad about reducing it.
    I did 5 easy followed by 4-3-2-1 @ pmp and 1m easy.
    The recovery inbetween sets was another mile,making 17 altogether.
    The 3 i cut short wwere only going to be slow anyway.

5 @ 7:40,7:36,7:38,7:43 & 7:38
    4 @ 6:55,7:00,6:48,6:38
    3 min jog
    3 @ 6:36,6:42,6:31
    3 min jog
    2 @ 6:44,6:39
    3 min jog
    1 @ 6:49
    1 @ 7:47

Thats it for me on LSR's...lads and ladies....

Taper started on my last mile of 7:47 and i was smiling.
    Very little for the rest of the week....rest tomorrow...followed by a couple of 4's,then the race Saturday night and a slow 12 Sunday morning.

12|3|26|3|12|3|59

55.5|46.8|32.6|60.3|||

[
    Thats it for me on LSR's...lads and ladies....

Taper started on my last mile of 7:47 and i was smiling.

I like that bit !?! Great running there. Its all about minding yourself now till the big day !

I like that bit !?! Great running there. Its all about minding yourself now till the big day !

Oh,yeah....thankfully the hard work is done....
    I had an eddie rockets today...smokestack burger with half and half chips/onion rings washed down with a vanilla malt....:D
    Just a treat for finishing the hardship of long runs.

This marathon training is draining,i was fine for the first 6/7 weeks but since the half in wexford i have been feeling tired,rest up a bit now for Saturday night and see what kind of time i can get at this 5m...another treat :D...then serious taper from then.....

I had an eddie rockets today...smokestack burger with half and half chips/onion rings washed down with a vanilla malt....:D

This marathon training is draining,i was fine for the first 6/7 weeks but since the half in wexford i have been feeling tired,rest up a bit now for Saturday night and see what kind of time i can get at this 5m...another treat :D...then serious taper from then.....

I like the Eddie Rockets bit too, love the milkshakes there, well deserved!

Know what ya mean about feeling drained, the last 3/4 weeks I've found very tough, but hopefully with the mileage lowering we'll be well rested in a few weeks !

Dont F*ck up the taper with a shi**y diet like a lad i know. You have the training done but the nxt 3 weeks are equally as important.

Dont F*ck up the taper with a shi**y diet like a lad i know. You have the training done but the nxt 3 weeks are equally as important.

+1 Yesterday I saw a packet of biscuits I hadn't seen before...Cadbury Turkish. Had to try them. The whole packet. Gotta watch that! Need to back off on the treats this week.

Well done on getting the training complete....you nailed it, real sustained consistency. I'll get to you to halfway in 1:30 with minimum fuss (even effort all the way) and you'll push on from there.

• Advertisement

+1 Yesterday I saw a packet of biscuits I hadn't seen before...Cadbury Turkish. Had to try them. The whole packet. Gotta watch that! Need to back off on the treats this week.

Well done on getting the training complete....you nailed it, real sustained consistency. I'll get to you to halfway in 1:30 with minimum fuss (even effort all the way) and you'll push on from there.

I didnt like those...the cadbury turkish....felt vey dissapointed...the same with the crunchie ones...im more of a plain biscuit man.

As for the marathon,i imagine we will be together longer than 13m...
    My "plan" is to run within myself for the first 18,evaluate the situation from there and make a decision...best case scenario for me is i make up a minute or 90s over the last 8m as i wont be at 18 any sooner than 3:00 pace.

worth a look, for those last few miles of marathon:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uACaFK28es&feature=related

18-05-10|17|7:09p Overall|Long|Dull and very windy again|3
    19-05-10|Rest||||3
    20-05-10|6|7:50|Recovery|Very warm|3
    21-05-10|||||3
    22-05-10|||||3
    23-05-10|||||3

Lovely handy 6 with Sungod followed by roasting hot jacuzzi,steam room and sauna...

12|3|26|3|13|3|60

55.5|46.8|32.6|60.3|||

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

I didnt like those...the cadbury turkish....felt vey dissapointed...the same with the crunchie ones...im more of a plain biscuit man.

As for the marathon,i imagine we will be together longer than 13m...
    My "plan" is to run within myself for the first 18,evaluate the situation from there and make a decision...best case scenario for me is i make up a minute or 90s over the last 8m as i wont be at 18 any sooner than 3:00 pace.

Hi Sosa

Congrats on getting the training done. Great stuff. Cant help but notice some negativity in your log of late, and gringo and TNO. Gotta pitch in.

You are flying. I have every intention of breaking sub 3 in august and im nowhere near you in terms of 5, 10 and half times. 2009 was 2009 and this year sees a much smarter and better trained Sosa. Delete 2009.

Youve done the LSRs, youve done the PMP miles, youve done the mileage.

Your decision at 18-20 miles is to start to kick on or wait until 22-23. Not to drop below sub 3. If the weather is conducive and you pace the first half well, then its on. End of story.

6'49/mile is slow for you. Slow. No room for doubts in your head, they will weigh on you if you have them at 20. Visualise yourself cruising at 6'49 in the last 10k. See yourself passing people instead of being passed. Remember that 5'20-5'30 miles are no problem for you on good days.

If you miss it busting your arse then fine, but the only room for doubts is in the last mile.

Hope this aint too preachy but I think its necessary. Have been following your log since your half in december and wanna see you do it.

Hi Sosa

Congrats on getting the training done. Great stuff. Cant help but notice some negativity in your log of late, and gringo and TNO. Gotta pitch in.

You are flying. I have every intention of breaking sub 3 in august and im nowhere near you in terms of 5, 10 and half times. 2009 was 2009 and this year sees a much smarter and better trained Sosa. Delete 2009.

Youve done the LSRs, youve done the PMP miles, youve done the mileage.

Your decision at 18-20 miles is to start to kick on or wait until 22-23. Not to drop below sub 3. If the weather is conducive and you pace the first half well, then its on. End of story.

6'49/mile is slow for you. Slow. No room for doubts in your head, they will weigh on you if you have them at 20. Visualise yourself cruising at 6'49 in the last 10k. See yourself passing people instead of being passed. Remember that 5'20-5'30 miles are no problem for you on good days.

If you miss it busting your arse then fine, but the only room for doubts is in the last mile.

Hope this aint too preachy but I think its necessary. Have been following your log since your half in december and wanna see you do it.

Of course i have doubts tbb,after Dublin it would be wrong not to.
    I know that the training this time round has been better but non the less at 20m this time i hope to be in uncharted territory,meaning feeling strong and wanting to push on,i didnt have that in Dublin,i needed to stop at 20 up there,but thats for the pep talk anyway.
    Regardless of what my shorter times are compared to you or anyone else,26.2 is a different ball game all together.

• Advertisement
Advertisement