Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One step at a time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Take it you are working in dungarvan now. If it suits i will pick you up after work and have a little company on the way. Might even organise a shower in youghal on the way home. If i am doing it i will give you a shout.

grand job VR,let me know nearer the time

Date|Miles|Ave pace|Type|Weather|Days to Island 5k
    12-07-10|8|w/4*1k@5:23p|Long Intervals|Rain|6
    13-07-10|||||5
    14-07-10|||||4
    15-07-10|||||3
    16-07-10|||||2
    17-07-10|||||1
    18-07-10|||||Race Day

Not the best day for intervals but off i went in glorious rain.
    2m warm up around 7:30p ....then 4*1k @ 5:19,5:19,5:27,5:26 w/3mins recovery inbetween....2m warm down then back up home a bit slower that 7:30 this time.

Again,i could not see the pace i was running but knew the first 2 sets were faster than the last 2 before i checked afterwards.
    So technically that was 2*1k @3kp and 2*1k @ 5kp ...how bad...a double session ...( kind of )
    the fastest i could go last week were the last 2 sets so its progress to be able to get 2 @ 3kp today.

I hope to get out later for a recovery 6...50/50 chance of that happening.

Med 10-15|Med w/Intervals|Aerobic|Vo2|Recovery|Race|Total
    3|1|7|3|3|2|19

Wk 1|Wk 2|Wk 3|Wk 4
    37.9|38.9|49|

|5.3|7:56|Recovery|More Rain|6
    13-07-10|||||5
    14-07-10|||||4
    15-07-10|||||3
    16-07-10|||||2
    17-07-10|||||1
    18-07-10|||||Race Day

Got ou for my recovery run before dinner thankfully.
    A 5.3m route that was a little different than usual to get a few hills in there,started off a bit fast but the last 3m were about 8:15p.....

Med long tomorrow,how ya fixed SG...12m around 7:30 pace.

3|1|7|4|3|2|20

Wk 1|Wk 2|Wk 3|Wk 4
    37.9|38.9|49|

|5.3|7:56|Recovery|More Rain|6
    13-07-10|9|7:41|Aerobic|WINDY !|5
    14-07-10|||||4
    15-07-10|||||3
    16-07-10|||||2
    17-07-10|||||1
    18-07-10|||||Race Day

9 slow,horrible,tiring miles in windy conditions over hills this morning.
    I dont know what i was thinking picking this route as i was knackered before i started but off i went and i was happy to see the end of it.
    I planned 12,then 10,then 8,but did 9 as a compromise to myself.

No running now until Friday evening,i need a little break before the w/e.

3|1|8|4|3|2|21

Wk 1|Wk 2|Wk 3|Wk 4
    37.9|38.9|49|

Just realised that the race Sunday clashes with round 4 of the Open....
    Not happy about that,Sunday at the Open is feet up on the couch day for me every year ( if i can get away with it,i usually pray for rain so we dont have to go anywhere )...ah well no hanging around after...home by 4 at the latest to get the last 2 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

yae feel your pain. esp as mcilroy and mcdowell will be in contention coming down the 18th.

just run faster, and you'll see more.

12-07-10|Rest||||6
    13-07-10|8|w/4*1k@5:23p|Long Intervals|Rain|5
    |5.3|7:56|Recovery|More Rain|5
    14-07-10|9|7:41|Aerobic|WINDY !|4
    15-07-10|Rest||||3
    16-07-10|5.3|7:27|Aerobic|Windy|2
    17-07-10|||||1
    18-07-10|||||Race Day

very tired today and only managed 5.3m...
    Similar tomorrow and race Sunday.

3|1|9|4|3|2|22

Wk 1|Wk 2|Wk 3|Wk 4
    37.9|38.9|49|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

All the best tomorrow Sosa, give it socks !

12-07-10|Rest||||6
    13-07-10|8|w/4*1k@5:23p|Long Intervals|Rain|5
    |5.3|7:56|Recovery|More Rain|5
    14-07-10|9|7:41|Aerobic|WINDY !|4
    15-07-10|Rest||||3
    16-07-10|5.3|7:27|Aerobic|Windy|2
    17-07-10|Rest||||1
    [EMAIL="18-07-10|9.5|w/5k@5:41p|Race|Rain and Wind|Race"]18-07-10|9.5|w/5k@5:41p|Race|Rain and Wind|Race[/EMAIL] Day

Island 5k - 17:45 Unofficial

A dissapointing result in the end,i had this as a target race but the preperation the last couple of weeks has not been great and therefore i knew going into it that sub 17 was unlikely today,but i was willing to give it everything to find out how close i could get.

I did a nice warm up of 3m to the island with SG,nice and easy,got there in plenty of time,had a chat with a few other runners and got ready to go,did another 2/3k around the course just before the off with a few strides in there for good measure.

Off we went bang on time and quickly 9 runners were ahead of me and moving very well,slight drag to start and then down hill for a bit before we went into a little estate of solar powered houses on the island where we met our first u turn,all going well here and we headed out of the estate and down the first hill,this was fairly treacharous tbh,i was forced to slow going down here as i saw one person have a bad fall and heard of others when we finished...through mile 1 in 5:26...bang on pace...then up the first hill which is not so bad and i composed myself a bit for the second lap,careful not to blow up...tuned out a bit here and ended up with a 5:41 mile...still going well though and headed down the bad hill again on the second lap again cautiously and obviously losing time again...uphill again the 3rd u turn now and the final 2k and i though i was still going well only to see that i was going 6:10 pace...tuned out again here and tried to push the pace going down the last downhill before the last tough climb which absolutely killed me,i had nothing for this hill,what i needed here was to hear footsteps behind me to spur me on,but a look over the shoulder and nobody close enough to trouble me to the finish,got to the top of the hill and turned left then to a lovely finish,slightly downhill of about 300m and i legged it in..to little to late though and a frustrating race for me.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/40870544

Positives to take though,i went through 3k in 10:20 ( 5:32p ) and was comfortable enough at that stage,the last 2k were a struggle...i make it 7:25 for the last 2k ( 5:58p)...tells its own tale.

Negatives for today were the conditions,its a tough course anyway with the hills but it was dangerous enough out there,a few bad falls from people and i was a bit nervous at times going around the uturns and down that big hill which was fairly wet.

All in all not happy with the time but on another day i would have been much closer to 17,but i still would not have nipped under it,i need another few weeks of intervals to get back to where i was and get under 17 mins...i will do it next year all going well.

I am leaning more to the Ballycotton 5m late august as my next target race....will have to consult my race calendar during the week to decide where i go from here.

3|1|9|4|3|3|23

Wk 1|Wk 2|Wk 3|Wk 4
    37.9|38.9|49|37.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

congrats on the race, even if it didnt go to plan...im sure you could find a faster, if not an easier/safer 5k race which you could push the pace harder and go closer to the sub17 target.
    still, a 17:45 via mcmillan would get you into the low 2:50's for a marathon...

you sticking to the shorter stuff for a while? any plans for another marathon(and im not talking about the marathon drinking session after yesterdays result!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

decent run on a tough course. Like you said, the times will drop with more interval sessions.Congrats

seanynova wrote: »
    congrats on the race, even if it didnt go to plan...im sure you could find a faster, if not an easier/safer 5k race which you could push the pace harder and go closer to the sub17 target.
    still, a 17:45 via mcmillan would get you into the low 2:50's for a marathon...

you sticking to the shorter stuff for a while? any plans for another marathon(and im not talking about the marathon drinking session after yesterdays result!)

Yeah,dont know when i will do another marathon,another baby joining us late october so Dublin is out and not sure if i could give the time and dedication for Cork next year.
    Speedy44 wrote: »
    decent run on a tough course. Like you said, the times will drop with more interval sessions.Congrats

Absolutely,today highlighted that....back to the 400's and 800's....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

great run sosa. super time.

Great running all same Sosa, especially to push on and grind it out again, when you saw you were down on pace with 2k to go.

I think a bit of it too is that this is the fastest you've raced since marathon and the pace takes a bit of getting used to, especially for 5k's.

400's/800's , mite be the answer, and picking out a 5miler like Ballycotton is a great idea. Onwards and Upwards !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

yea great run and time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Sosa wrote: »
    All in all not happy with the time but on another day i would have been much closer to 17,but i still would not have nipped under it,i need another few weeks of intervals to get back to where i was and get under 17 mins...i will do it next year all going well.

I am leaning more to the Ballycotton 5m late august as my next target race

Well done on the 5k....I know you're a bit put out by being so much off pace but I think a 5k needs a few attempts. I'm running one again tomorrow evening so I'll see if I've improved from 2 weeks ago.

Hate to point out the bleeding obvious but I think we're gas....we run a marathon, feel really comfortable and strong doing it cos we've endurance dripping out of us after having followed a program which avoided any type of VO2 or even anaerobic work. We then expect less than 6 weeks later to be sprint kings churning out a 5k time which by McMillan would be porportionally better than all our previous race times.....hilarious really. At least you waited 6 weeks to attempt it...4 weeks after the marathon i was attempting sub 17....and it was 2k into the race before I copped myself on :D I'll be happy with 17:45 tomorrow (17:44)

Was reading up on 5k training over the weekend and was interested in Frank Horwills approach which was that interval training specifically for 5k should have short recovery's because you get no recovery during the race. He recommends running the reps 800m-2000m in length, at 5k race pace or just under it (but not 3k pace) with a recovery jog of 1/8th the distance....that would be max recovery of 40-45sec after your 1k reps. He mentions that interval sessions specific for 5k race are usually run too fast and with too long recovery i.e 12x400 @ 3k pace with 400m jog recovery is wrong according to him.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Well done on the 5k....I know you're a bit put out by being so much off pace but I think a 5k needs a few attempts. I'm running one again tomorrow evening so I'll see if I've improved from 2 weeks ago.

Hate to point out the bleeding obvious but I think we're gas....we run a marathon, feel really comfortable and strong doing it cos we've endurance dripping out of us after having followed a program which avoided any type of VO2 or even anaerobic work. We then expect less than 6 weeks later to be sprint kings churning out a 5k time which by McMillan would be porportionally better than all our previous race times.....hilarious really. At least you waited 6 weeks to attempt it...4 weeks after the marathon i was attempting sub 17....and it was 2k into the race before I copped myself on :D I'll be happy with 17:45 tomorrow (17:44)

Was reading up on 5k training over the weekend and was interested in Frank Horwills approach which was that interval training specifically for 5k should have short recovery's because you get no recovery during the race. He recommends running the reps 800m-2000m in length, at 5k race pace or just under it (but not 3k pace) with a recovery jog of 1/8th the distance....that would be max recovery of 40-45sec after your 1k reps. He mentions that interval sessions specific for 5k race are usually run too fast and with too long recovery i.e 12x400 @ 3k pace with 400m jog recovery is wrong according to him.

It was my first proper 5k as last years was 4.6....but i do agree about the whole marathon thing and being unrealistic about shorter times so soon after....i just didnt have it for the last 2k...10:20 for the first 3 was good and i was feeling ok then,but crumbled during the two hills on the last 2k...pity, but understandable i suppose.
    I will break that 17 mins though but will probably have to wait until next year.

Interesting about the interval work above,thats all new to me also.
    All my short distance times came from tempos...i never did a proper interval session until 3 weeks ago...so i am hoping that as my mileage will be curtailed with the new arrival later this year,the introduction of intervals ( and core work at home ) will see me improve on those times in the same races next Spring.

2 runs since Sundays race.
    I took Monday as a rest day.
    Tuesday i did 6m @ 7:06p and today i did 5m @ 7:05p
    A bit fast again for easy runs,i was running them at 7:30p during training for Cork, i want them around 7:15-7:20 now when i am not doing big mileage.

Really dont know what to plan for now...i am really put off by the bad reports about the national half in carlow,it was a target race of mine.

Other than that i am certainly doing the Ardmore 5 on Aug 13th and more than likely the Ballycotton 5 on Aug 26th ( i think )....

2 runs since Sundays race.
    I took Monday as a rest day.
    Tuesday i did 6m @ 7:06p and today i did 5m @ 7:05p
    A bit fast again for easy runs,i was running them at 7:30p during training for Cork, i want them around 7:15-7:20 now when i am not doing big mileage.

Really dont know what to plan for now...i am really put off by the bad reports about the national half in carlow,it was a target race of mine.

Other than that i am certainly doing the Ardmore 5 on Aug 13th and more than likely the Ballycotton 5 on Aug 26th ( i think )....

Galway City half the on Aug 29th should be pretty good, http://www.galwaycitymarathon.com/

Don't confuse it with the Galway Bay Half that was on last year and got some pretty bad press.

• Advertisement

Galway City half the on Aug 29th should be pretty good, http://www.galwaycitymarathon.com/

Don't confuse it with the Galway Bay Half that was on last year and got some pretty bad press.

a bit far away for me Speedy,not that interested in staying over for a race...thanks anyway

Just a 5m easy run before work yesterday...7:30p on the button...37:30...hows that for pacing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭aero2k

Just a 5m easy run before work yesterday...7:30p on the button...37:30...hows that for pacing
    Nice work Sosa.

Sounds like you're in good shape. I know you were a bit disappointed with the 5k, but I think it takes a few races to adjust to that level of intensity after the "relatively" easy marathon. I reckon you'll have a flyer in a race soon.

aero2k wrote: »
    Nice work Sosa.

Sounds like you're in good shape. I know you were a bit disappointed with the 5k, but I think it takes a few races to adjust to that level of intensity after the "relatively" easy marathon. I reckon you'll have a flyer in a race soon.

I was reading what you said on Krusty's log about being dissapointed that you didnt push harder in Edinburgh...i have that now about Cork...i know that 2:55 was there for me that day if i didnt have the 2 toilet breaks and pushed a bit.
    The thing is i didnt push at all...at any stage,and finished very comfortably...
    I just wanted to break sub 3...and didnt want to chance blowing up again like Dub09...

About the 5k,im not that dissapointed tbh,i will get there.

New long term target is sub 27:30 for 5m by Feb 2012....
    I want to go sub 28 next Feb and then sub 27:30 the following year
    Current PB 28:24

I was reading what you said on Krusty's log about being dissapointed that you didnt push harder in Edinburgh...i have that now about Cork...i know that 2:55 was there for me that day if i didnt have the 2 toilet breaks and pushed a bit.
    The thing is i didnt push at all...at any stage,and finished very comfortably...
    I just wanted to break sub 3...and didnt want to chance blowing up again like Dub09...

your shorter distance times would suggest it is in you to go lower than 2:59, but then again the condidtions on the day may have made it hard to take a big chunk from that time....without the toilet stops and pushing a little harder may have got you to 2:56, 2:57??? but the conditions that day were supposed to have been aweful, and wind is enemy no2! (im still sticking with the heat as enemy no1, lol ;) ) so i wouldnt be too disappointed about 2:59...

at least you know next time you can have go for it with nothing to loose...and to be fair 2:50 on the right day is prob not that far away from ya!

so i wouldnt be too disappointed about 2:59...

Im delighted with 2:59 seany....i would have took the hand and all off you if it was offered to me...driving up that morning the van was rocking with the wind and the wipers could not go fast enough,having said that it got a bit better for the race and was actually ideal in parts...the toughest part was no doubt balckrock castle...howling sidewinds and torrential rain,it was there i was chasing the pack after my first stop.

its highly unlikely i will do a marathon next year so in that sense its nice to sit back with sub 3 in the bag but the next one i do i will not be finishing fresh and i expect tough miles along the way.
    -thanks

• Advertisement

sorry, let me re-phrase that one,
    so i wouldnt be disappointed about 2:59...

good going in the conditions as you said, and you know next time after working on the shorter distances pace wont be a prob....get the endurance up and your flying!

good luck with the new training

10m Tempo

Not much running this week so i wanted to make up 24m between today and tomorrow to get to 40 for the week.
    I dont want to be slipping under that amount really.

I felt really tired this week,i was on evenings and never did them before so the oul body clock was way out of sync...
    The legs were like jelly for the first mile today and i was thinking of knocking the tempo on the head....the plan was 4 easy,4 around 6:05 and 2 easy.
    So i did the first 4 around 7:30p and i was seriously contemplating just tipping away for the 10 until i saw a chap i know struggling up a hill,it was there the watch beeped for 4m and i just went for it...the fella i know asked me for a piggy back,that kind of got me going.
    Clipped along nicely for the first tempo mile and completed that in 5:59....it was easier than i imagined it would be....onto the next in 6:01 and all was well and the last in 5:58,getting harder at the end but nice to know i could have rattled out a sub 30 min 5m if i wanted to today...always nice for the confidence....i decided to leave it at 3m,partly because i was heading back into town and i would have to stop at loads of junctions and there was no way i would get the last done in sub 6 with all those stops and i didnt want to do anything stupid around traffic.
    The last 3m were around 7:30p also.
    7:02p Overall.

So...delighted with the fast 3m this morning....all bodes well for the few races i have coming up.

I am doing the Ardmore 5 on Fri 13th Aug and the Ballycotton 5 on Thurs 26th Aug...will have to leave a bit in the tank for Ballycotton...i will have TNO/Gringo and VR for company...cant leave those rebels or cats steal a march on me....
    It will also be my first visit to Ballycotton...looking forward to it.

14m Med Long 7:55 Pace

A nice run i mapped out on http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ last night...incorporating two usual routes mashed into one.
    I went with SG and another friend of ours and the morning was perfect...a little warm but not to bad,the pace was nothing hectic which added to the enjoyment.
    We started of really slow and build gradually with the last 4/5 all under 7:30p...thoroughly enjoyable.

40m for the week...ok mileage wise but only one good session in there.

Next week i will be ( hopefully ) doing intervals on Tuesday and tempo on Thursday with a group at the local track...

Rest day Monday

Tuesday - Intervals at the track

First time ever running intervals at the track with the club.
    Anytime i ever did them before was in the park on just along a route i mapped out.
    A few good runners there tonight and the coach said we were doing 10*300's,not bad i thought...better than 12/14 400's anyway.
    I did the first 3/4 cautiously...finishing with the guy timing us...he said they were about 51/52 secs each....then i went ahead of him for the last 6 trying to chase down a fella who is about a minute faster than me over 5m...so it was a good yard stick for me to measure how i was getting on,i was happy only to be maybe 2s behind hm for the last 6,coach said about 48 secs...overall he reckons i averaged sub 50s for the 10.
    We had walk recovery of about a minute as they were fairly intense...the last one nearly buckled me...set off like a rocket and after 50m the jelly set in so i was all over the place for the last 250m of that...
    delighted with how the session went though and i would never run that fast on my own in the park....so i will be back,whenever i can.

2m warm up on the road first at 7:35p...then a mile on the track
    10 sets of 300m and another mile and a bit after.
    Im putting myself down for 10k ...6.2m tonight.
    The hamstrings are a bit tight,i dont think i have run as fast since my basketball days.
    I hope to do a tempo with them on Thursday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Rest day Monday

Anytime i ever did them before was in the park on just along a route i mapped out.
    A few good runners there tonight and the coach said we were doing 10*300's,not bad i thought...better than 12/14 400's anyway.
    I did the first 3/4 cautiously...finishing with the guy timing us...he said they were about 51/52 secs each....then i went ahead of him for the last 6 trying to chase down a fella who is about a minute faster than me over 5m...so it was a good yard stick for me to measure how i was getting on,i was happy only to be maybe 2s behind hm for the last 6,coach said about 48 secs...overall he reckons i averaged sub 50s for the 10.
    We had walk recovery of about a minute as they were fairly intense...the last one nearly buckled me...set off like a rocket and after 50m the jelly set in so i was all over the place for the last 250m of that...
    delighted with how the session went though and i would never run that fast on my own in the park....so i will be back,whenever i can.

The hamstrings are a bit tight,i dont think i have run as fast since my basketball days.

Good to have company. Give us a few first names of lads that were doing them. I know a few. They will bring you on and vice versa,
    Yes ballycotton is on.

• Advertisement

Good stuff on the intervals Sosa, first time out and doing 10*300m is great going! Recovery jog tomorrow for the hams !

Welcome to my world Sosa !
    Track sessions like these are different monsters altogether. Great going though, sub 50's is about 64/65 pace for the 400m, 4:18-4:20 for the mile.They will definitely stand to you in the 5ml races coming up and your body will be able to clip along at 5:30-5:40's with no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

great session sosa. those 5k/5 mile times will tumble if you keep that up
    Rest day Monday

Welcome to my world Sosa !
    Track sessions like these are different monsters altogether. Great going though, sub 50's is about 64/65 pace for the 400m, 4:18-4:20 for the mile.They will definitely stand to you in the 5ml races coming up and your body will be able to clip along at 5:30-5:40's with no problem.

Being my first time down there i just sat in with a fella for the first few,then realised i could do them a bit quicker,so off i went.
    I asked someone at the end what pace they were,i was hoping he would say sub 5 pace,but nearly fell over when he said at one stage we were sub 4:15 pace....couldnt believe it,i was delighted.
    The legs are feeling it today though....hamstrings are tightish,have not felt that for a while.
    For the next 4 weeks i will be doing a tempo,interval and Med Long per week in prep for the Ballycotton 5
    I dont see myself beating the 28:24 i set earlier in the year,but i want sub 29,that will keep me happy for the winter.

7.5m Aerobic

Nice run today in sweltering heat,cilpped along nicely at 7:25p.

Tempo tomorrow night...not sure how many miles in total but the tempo is only 15 mins...so i will be looking at 2.5m in that time.
    I have decided that in my tempos in future i wont run more that 3m at tempo pace without a rest...the cautious and recovery approach has served me well this year so i will be keeping it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Best of luck for the ballycotton 5 Sosa.

Just wanted to ask, whats the Waterford half mara like, given the time of year etc. Is it relatively flat, flatter than Wexford?

OI wrote: »
    Best of luck for the ballycotton 5 Sosa.

Just wanted to ask, whats the Waterford half mara like, given the time of year etc. Is it relatively flat, flatter than Wexford?

Thanks OI.....

The Comeragh Mountains are flatter than the wexford half route :D
    ( i hear the course is changed for next year though )

The waterford half route is a PB course,as always it depends on what shape your in,but if it was me,i would be gunning for a good time there,its very fair,the last 4m is downhill and flat.
    That road can get very windy,but the 2 years of the half and 3 years of another race out that road that i have done,its always been perfect weather.
    I did my long runs out there in prep for cork and was seriously blown out of it many a wet and windy day

Being my first time down there i just sat in with a fella for the first few,then realised i could do them a bit quicker,so off i went.
    I asked someone at the end what pace they were,i was hoping he would say sub 5 pace,but nearly fell over when he said at one stage we were sub 4:15 pace....couldnt believe it,i was delighted.
    The legs are feeling it today though....hamstrings are tightish,have not felt that for a while.
    For the next 4 weeks i will be doing a tempo,interval and Med Long per week in prep for the Ballycotton 5
    I dont see myself beating the 28:24 i set earlier in the year,but i want sub 29,that will keep me happy for the winter.

I am afraid you will need to go lower than that to beat the two rebels and a cat. The rebels will want revenge on me after the hammering they will get sunday week.

I look forward to it VR....bring it on.
    Sort out that stomach and we are all set to go.
    tno and gringo are hitting the track,i had my first session on tuesday and im looking forward to my first visit to the mystical running village that is Ballycotton.

What time do you think will be needed to be fastest between the 4 of us ?

I am thinking 28:45 will do it...if any of us can muster that together over 5m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

I'm looking forward to my first visit to the mystical running village that is Ballycotton.

What time do you think will be needed to be fastest between the 4 of us ?

I am thinking 28:45 will do it...if any of us can muster that together over 5m.

28:30 will be required. Don't know who'll get it, but thats the minimum it'll take. The first mile is fast and downhill, you'll run 5:30 for it without overcooking it. The race is then essentially a 4 mile race with a tough finish...you'll knock out 5:45 miles and that then leaves you with a 5:44 mile to finish to break 28:30...if you're the type of runner who can dig out a big finish even when you're already spent, then you'll do it. Now I don't know about you, but I'll have a blah that won a replay that should never have been and a Cat who lets be honest about it, will have handed us out a pasting, therefore I'll have all the motivation I need to empty the tank completely. I've nothing against TNO but I won't be letting him pass him pass on the final mile without a fight also. I'd need to run around 28:25 to beat the top lad from our club so I hope to run him close so you'll have company if you want a crack off your PB for the distance.

There...you have my tactics now...wouldn't like to be accused of getting the sneaky jump on you again like in Cork:D

• Advertisement

28:30 will be required. Don't know who'll get it, but thats the minimum it'll take. The first mile is fast and downhill, you'll run 5:30 for it without overcooking it. The race is then essentially a 4 mile race with a tough finish...you'll knock out 5:45 miles and that then leaves you with a 5:44 mile to finish to break 28:30...if you're the type of runner who can dig out a big finish even when you're already spent, then you'll do it. Now I don't know about you, but I'll have a blah that won a replay that should never have been and a Cat who lets be honest about it, will have handed us out a pasting, therefore I'll have all the motivation I need to empty the tank completely. I've nothing against TNO but I won't be letting him pass him pass on the final mile without a fight also. I'd need to run around 28:25 to beat the top lad from our club so I hope to run him close so you'll have company if you want a crack off your PB for the distance.

There...you have my tactics now...wouldn't like to be accused of getting the sneaky jump on you again like in Cork:D

Nothing like a bit of straight talking Gringo...i like it.
    Not sure i will be in PB shape but i do expect to be under 29 anyway.

Another good session at the track tonight.
    Report in next post

5m recovery run at 8:04p before work

Just tried to loosen up the hams from tuesdays intervals

Tempo and 150m sprints at Track

The hams were still tight from tuesday so was not sure how this would pan out.
    session to start at 5:45,i was there at 5:25 and did 2.3m warm up on my own.
    The group arrived then and we did one more mile together.
    We then went next to the track on a nice grass field to do the 15 min tempo.
    Coach said 7:30 mins in one direction,turn around form there for another 7:30 and try to finish at the same place ...i covered 2.57m in the 15 mins and was about 200 metres ahead of where i turned around from...that worked out at 5:50 pace overall and the last 0.57 was 5:37p so i was getting faster as it went on,really happy with that,the coach said that 6:00 pace for tempos is to slow for me,he reckons at least 5:50 and over time down to 5:40 :eek:

After that we did a lap warm down and headed down to the track then for 8*150m sprints with 250m rec (50 walk,150 jog,50 walk).
    He said i did them all in 21s...with a couple 20s...the first 6 were grand but the last 2 hurt...even though they were faster than 300's on tuesday,i found them easier to cope with.

Another 4 laps warm down then to total 9m for tonight.

So 14m for the day...a good days training

So its a week of firsts for me....intervals at the track and a tempo on grass tonight with 150's after it...i have really enjoyed the variation of training,it has invigorated me...i was a bit stale since Cork...i have found my mojo again...
    The coach was asking me to go to Cork on Sunday for the munster masters...800m or 1500m he reckons i would have a chance of a medal.
    Highly unlikely though,i reckon the locks would be changed :D

On Aug 15th the AAI masters is on in tullamore aswell...food for thought.

Also the Cork half on Sept 12th is incorporating a masters team event i was told tonight...more food for thought

Recovery 4.2m @ 8:10p

Just a slow,slow drag this morning.
    The legs are tender again after last night,had not got over tuesday tbh...so it was either the run i did or nothing today.
    Supposed to be doing 15 in the morning with SG and another friend of ours who is doing Dublin...will make a decision after a hot bath tonight.

I met a fella out this morning and he was telling me that the same day as the cork half is the WLR 10k in town,i would find it very hard to drive up to cork for a race when there is a good 10k that is almost on my doorstep.
    Aswell as that i wont have any half stuff done really....and the next time i do a half i want to break 80 mins.

I may have to take my log into stealth-mode for the next few weeks, to hide my training ;) Agree on a good sub-29, Sosa and Gringo I know about, its the cat I'm worried about, especially when he'll have his tail up after hammering us in the hurling !!

tisnotover wrote: »
    I may have to take my log into stealth-mode for the next few weeks, to hide my training ;) Agree on a good sub-29, Sosa and Gringo I know about, its the cat I'm worried about, especially when he'll have his tail up after hammering us in the hurling !!

things seam to be heating up nicely for the 5m showdown!

who are we to put the money on????

Jaysus i wont bother turn up now;)

things seam to be heating up nicely for the 5m showdown!

who are we to put the money on????
    gringo sosa and i dont know who will get3rd........I have a half in clonmel and i cant afford to have a taper unlike the lads. If sosa hammers me he will be thumbing home.

was half thinking about the AAI masters, but I think to medal you would need about 2:12-14 in the 800m & sub 4:30 in the 1500m. Don't think I'm quiet there, yet :-)

I have a half in clonmel and i cant afford to have a taper unlike the lads.

Unlike a cat to be making excuses :D

• Advertisement

was half thinking about the AAI masters, but I think to medal you would need about 2:12-14 in the 800m & sub 4:30 in the 1500m. Don't think I'm quiet there, yet :-)

Ah yeah,i knew i had no chance at the AAI,it was the munsters that i am told i would be there or there abouts...but i wont be going anyway.

Advertisement