Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One step at a time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Thats not where you are at.........So disapointed for you.........seems you have something....What you think ???....you have stamina so there is something up. Glad it aint in 5 weeks time.
    you have the training done. as tergat said. belief in yourself. Put it as a bad day.I should know this year. friend of mine ran 79 that ran 2.53 3 weeks ago and he said it was very hilly and the wind was a curse. as you know you wont have those hills in cork. I would give the 7.5 mile a skip nxt week and do the 10km in youghal 23rd may which is a pb course. Would be ideal to give a confidence builder for cork. trust your training.

Im not sick or anything,
    Everything going to plan until 4m,thats where the hills started and were fairly relentless for the next 4m,the wind was there from start to finish,one of those days that no matter which way you ran it was there to "greet" you.
    As i said 84 was the best i could have run on that course today...so that was no good to me either,im not that pi$$ed off,i know my training is going very well,i just wanted that extra boost of a good half time today to confirm all that,but it didnt happen.

5 weeks tomorrow is the focus and i am still in good nick for that.

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Glad you said "no big drama", because it isn't. It shows you have your mind right and that its focused on the big prize. We all have days like this, best to get it out of the way. Sounds like it was the most un-ideal conditions to run in ......... high winds, hills & by yourself for most of it.

I didnt enjoy one minute of it Speedy.
    I have never been on my own for that amount time in a race before,
    other than the first half mile it didnt feel like a race...such was the gap either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

You are indeed better than that and you know yourself. Not that you need us to tell you that. Been following your training, you are well ahead of sub 3. You were sub 3 "fit" for DCM but this time you are fitter and your training more marathon specific. I really hope you go for it in Cork because you shouldn't fear that blow up* that happened in DCM.

*Sorry, I hope you don't fear that anyway. I did at the start of training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I was about 3 minutes behind you, and like you fell apart in that hill and could not recover afterwards because of the wind. I was rather disappointed with my time. I definitely expected to run 85 minutes, and was secretly hoping for more.

Ah well. At least I have Connemara as an excuse.

You are indeed better than that and you know yourself. Not that you need us to tell you that. Been following your training, you are well ahead of sub 3. You were sub 3 "fit" for DCM but this time you are fitter and your training more marathon specific. I really hope you go for it in Cork because you shouldn't fear that blow up* that happened in DCM.

*Sorry, I hope you don't fear that anyway. I did at the start of training.

Thanks Misty,but im not bothered in the slightest.

• Advertisement

I was about 3 minutes behind you, and like you fell apart in that hill and could not recover afterwards because of the wind. I was rather disappointed with my time. I definitely expected to run 85 minutes, and was secretly hoping for more.

Ah well. At least I have Connemara as an excuse.

Pity i didnt know you were going to be there,could have said hello.
    I was johnny no mates up there,drove up and down on me tod and ran on my own also :(

What ever about the hills,the wind was the killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

sorry to hear about the race Sosa, sounds complete opposite to conditions we had in Bantry, you know where you stand w.r.t PMP runs and long runs your doing in training.

The real race is in 5 weeks time as you say. Doesn't help either when field is as strung out as that. Onwards and upwards !

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Hey Sosa, best of luck for the big one. I really felt your pain and disappointment after DCM '09 so I'm looking forward to seeing you exorcise those demons. ps i am originally from waterford so i always read your posts in a waterford accent boy, you mightn't be from waterford at all boy, only live there. Anyway, i was out supporting today and there was some pretty big gaps between runners. Didnt look like 750 people but i suppose it could have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

I fear that you might be running cork for long periods on your own as well. depends on what time your going for.

OI wrote: »
    Hey Sosa, best of luck for the big one. I really felt your pain and disappointment after DCM '09 so I'm looking forward to seeing you exorcise those demons. ps i am originally from waterford so i always read your posts in a waterford accent boy, you mightn't be from waterford at all boy, only live there. Anyway, i was out supporting today and there was some pretty big gaps between runners. Didnt look like 750 people but i suppose it could have been.

Thanks OI,i am a true Blaa ( thats what VR calls me ).
    Thanks for reading
    I think 750 was total runners and walkers,thats what was announced before the start anyway.
    I fear that you might be running cork for long periods on your own as well. depends on what time your going for.

Running on my own was the lesser of 3 evils yesterday.
    I can cope with that.
    Im not greedy,i told you that loads of times,not attempting any crazy times up in Cork and risk blowing up again,regardless of what mcmillan says !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Thats a very good point, the field will be well spread out, however, one thing you can count on is good support throughout the course, especially at each of the relay changeover points (every 5miles?).

Are you doing the Villerstown 10mile on sun week? will prob head down myself, won't race it, but will do it as a marathon paced effort this time, be good simulation of race-day?

tisnotover wrote: »
    Thats a very good point, the field will be well spread out, however, one thing you can count on is good support throughout the course, especially at each of the relay changeover points (every 5miles?).

Are you doing the Villerstown 10mile on sun week? will prob head down myself, won't race it, but will do it as a marathon paced effort this time, be good simulation of race-day?

The support makes all the difference,no plans to do Villierstown.
    I might do the Portlaw 5 the following week.

Date|Miles|Ave pace|Type|Weather|Weeks to Cork
    03-05-10|5|7:44|Recovery|Warm but windy|5
    04-05-10|||||5
    05-05-10|||||5
    06-05-10|||||5
    07-05-10|||||5
    08-05-10|||||5
    [EMAIL="09-05-10|15.1|w/13.1@|||5"]09-05-10|||||5[/EMAIL]

Nice recovery run this morning,no ill effects from yesterday thankfully.
    Legs felt fine,so didnt go as slow as normal recovery.

Going back to Gringo and Krustys comeents about running on effort.
    I reckon my effort yesterday was at least 82 mins,conditions made it 86.
    I saw the results and only 20 broke 90 mins,last year it was 40.
    Winning time was also down 3 mins and the fella who won last year was 4 mins slower this year,so its all relevant.

Long 16+|Med 12-16|Aerobic|Vo2|Recovery|Race|Total
    10|3|21|3|10|2|49

Wk 1|Wk 2|Wk 3|Wk 4|Wk 5|Wk 6
    61|58.23|58.47|58.7|60.2|62|

Wk 7|Wk 8|Wk 9|Wk 10|Wk 11|Wk 12
    55.5|46.8|||||

tisnotover wrote: »
    Its not to get carried away with the relay runners who will spped past you and the temptation is to got with them.
    Yes what is the difference between a comfortable 2.59 which would be a low risk. I feel that is the aim. I was in 2.56 shape in berlin but decided on hte day i wanted sub 3.89 flat halfway would be low risk i feel for you. The nxt marathon can get better or in my case not.
    Maybe go with gringo if ye have similar goals. Company would be great. A bla and a rebel fighting it out over the last mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭aero2k

Sosa wrote: »
    I reckon my effort yesterday was at least 82 mins,conditions made it 86.
    I saw the results and only 20 broke 90 mins,last year it was 40.
    Winning time was also down 3 mins and the fella who won last year was 4 mins slower this year,so its all relevant.
    Hi Sosa,

I think you're looking at this exactly the right way. You trained well, set a realistic goal, but there's nothing you can do about the weather. I reckon a strong wind can easily add 10-20 secs per mile depending on how exposed the course is. Somehow it's worse than hills, at least you can see the top of them:). Also, I reckon mentally once you see your target is out of the question it's doubly difficult to keep the pressure on.
    Those tough days are good for helping us appreciate the good ones.

aero2k wrote: »
    Those tough days are good for helping us appreciate the good ones.

your right there aero and to be fair i have had mostly good days thankfully,nothing wrong with a few off days to keep your thoughts in check.

I am really looking forward to Cork.
    Sungod told me today that he is coming up with me for the spin,which will be nice for the company,and shur what else would he be doing when i am going for my run,he might aswell be at a couple of spots along the course to give me a drink and a gel.....thanks SG....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭tempo

seems to me you lost interst at an early stage.once you had gone outside your target time.
    Your race position was very good.
    what summed things up was when u said the lead lady went past and i couldn't be bothered(something along those lines)
    Maybe you have over cooked your training or maybe you just had a bad day.
    If you feel you have the self confidence to believe in your trainign i wouldnt bother with another race between now and the full marathon as you will have to ease down in order to run a fast time and i see training more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

tough day at the office sosa.
    look you say you've gone through the 10miles mark quicker in training so sounds like just a bad day. i've often ran way way below par for no apparent reason. i'd run a gain a few days later and i'm on fire.
    in a few days you'll have forgotten about it. keep goin with teh great training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's not a target race, yet you finished in the top ten! You got what you needed out of it, job done. I ran 2:18 in it last year. Now that's a bad day in the office. :)

You're going very strong. Keep up the great work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Nice run Sosa. I think you had a great result really. Sometimes we concentrate so much on times when really every course is different, the weather changes every day, and there are so many different factors that we can´t alway´s use times as a reflection of performance. It´s probably good over a long period to gauge where you are but realistically there are going to be races when using time really just takes the performance out of perspective and it´s kind of pointless to use it.

• Advertisement

Nice run Sosa. I think you had a great result really. Sometimes we concentrate so much on times when really every course is different, the weather changes every day, and there are so many different factors that we can´t alway´s use times as a reflection of performance. It´s probably good over a long period to gauge where you are but realistically there are going to be races when using time really just takes the performance out of perspective and it´s kind of pointless to use it.

Have to agree with you another world.
    -Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

tempo wrote: »
    seems to me you lost interst at an early stage.once you had gone outside your target time.
    Your race position was very good.
    what summed things up was when u said the lead lady went past and i couldn't be bothered(something along those lines)

Agree with this summation.....had a similar experience myself in the Blarney half 8 months ago where 5 or 6 miles in I felt I couldn't hit my target time and all motivation went and I went through the motions for the last 4 or 5 miles....I ended up with 1:30 that day when I had been targetting 1:22.

To some extent I regret now not trying to get the best time i could out of that day, on the other hand, I reasoned at the time that no point in continuing at race intensity and thus compromising training for a week thereafter. I have however run with a more longterm strategy since then with goals that could be 2-3 years in the making, hence I no longer get too hung up on individual results.

The reality is all we look at is times and not places in a race. Until we're competing for 1st, 2nd or 3rd, we can only run against ourselves i.e the clock. We're our own biggest critic so when we realise we are going to fall well below our expectations, it really is impossible to get the motivation up.

I think you maybe could have run 81/82 on the day but it would have involved accepting there'll be slow miles into the wind and uphill but fast miles on other sections. The course definetly did not suit you but lucky for you Cork is a relatively flat course so you don't need to worry about that.

You will prob end up running on your own for a lot of Cork as there won't be many (relay runners included) running at your pace or faster, but we can see maybe closer to the day, I may be going out at a very simliar pace to you...I know the first 16.5 miles of the course like the back of my hand and am pretty familiar with the remainder, so we might get a few miles in together.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    I know the first 16.5 miles of the course like the back of my hand and am pretty familiar with the remainder, so we might get a few miles in together.

Sounds good to me Gringo,if Dublin last year and to a lesser extent Sunday has taught me anything,its patience is key in long distance running/racing.

04-05-10|3|7:37|Aerobic|Same as Yesterday|5
    05-05-10|||||5
    06-05-10|||||5
    07-05-10|||||5
    08-05-10|||||5
    09-05-10|||||5

Sneaky 3 miles just now,supposed to be a rest day but needed a bit of fresh air.

Should hit the 1000m mark this Saturday.

10|3|22|3|10|2|50

55.5|46.8|||||

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Sosa when I heard about your result in wexford I felt a tinge of disapponted. I thought for sure you'd dip under 80mins. But then I had a read of your race report and I can definitley understand why it didnt happen. A strong head wind like that, as aero2k said, can add as much as 20secs/mile, and that is a very hilly course. I mean last summer I did a half marathon in clontarf and it was baking hot that day. I thought Id go 1:18........I did 1:25. I was gutted at first but then I had a look at the results and saw that my position was decent, like yours was on sunday. So you really do have to factor these things into the equation. I went on the have a good marathon after that clontarf race so the lads are right, put it aside for now. This race and the Cork marathon are two different things.

05-05-10|6|7:01|Aerobic|Dull but very warm|5
    06-05-10|||||5
    07-05-10|||||5
    08-05-10|||||5
    09-05-10|||||5

A bit of a blow out trpe of run today,started off fast,had to tail back but finished the last 3m around pmp.
    First time i have gone that fast on an easy day so far in the program but needed that today,and i dont feel too guilty as i have no long run this week.
    I have 2 next week though !

10|3|23|3|10|2|51

55.5|46.8|||||

06-05-10|6.6|7:35|Aerobic|Rain never came,very warm|5
    07-05-10|||||5
    08-05-10|||||5
    09-05-10|||||5

Handy run tonight from the RSC with a buddy of mine and one of his training pals,pace was up and down,but enjoyable none the less.

I have decided that im going to do the 7.5m run on Sat,not flat out though,a bit faster than pmp i reckon.
    Back to the grindstone next week then with 60+ miles and 2 LSR's thrown in for good measure.

10|3|24|3|10|2|52

55.5|46.8|||||

06-05-10|6.6|7:35|Aerobic|Rain never came,very warm|5
    07-05-10|||||5
    08-05-10|||||5
    09-05-10|||||5

Handy run tonight from the RSC with a buddy of mine and one of his training pals,pace was up and down,but enjoyable none the less.

I have decided that im going to do the 7.5m run on Sat,not flat out though,a bit faster than pmp i reckon.
    Back to the grindstone next week then with 60+ miles and 2 LSR's thrown in for good measure.

10|3|24|3|10|2|52

55.5|46.8|||||
    What have you to gain form sat ??
    Nxt week with two long ones I think its better to be very fresh for hte first one.
    I feel you might push sat night as the competitive streak in us comes out.

What have you to gain form sat ??
    Nxt week with two long ones I think its better to be very fresh for hte first one.
    I feel you might push sat night as the competitive streak in us comes out.

I wont be pushing the pace,i have agreed to pace for someone who wants to get under 50 minutes...thats about 6:40 pace.
    Rest day then Sunday,First long one on Wed...i'll be ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hi there, sorry to butt in on your log, but there's has been no mention of this Waterford - Tramore race in A/R/T Events, so hope you don't mind me asking you a couple of questions about this race! Did you do it last year? Is there a water station (or will I have to rob a drink off Tawdy :eek::D) ? Were there many runners last year?

It's forecast to be quite breezy - hopefully the breeze will be to our backs!

Advertisement